• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Bangalang's Fusion 40 - Update 2/10/17

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Bangalang's Fusion 40 - Update 2/10/17

Postby Bangalang » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 9:12 pm

Introduction:
After a year of being tankless I am ready to get back in the game, had too much going on with a newborn and work. That has all settled down a bit so here I am :pirate:

System Objectives: I am in 2 minds at this stage but I am leaning towards having a feature anemone with a small group of clowns and a nice collection of shrimp with maybe a shrimp/goby pair.. The macro life is always my main interest when diving. The other idea is to try and make an sps dominant bommie and give zeo a try.

System Type: Mixed reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: 16/4/2017

Display Tank: Innovative Marine Fusion 40(150litres)

Display Lighting: Maxspect Ethereal with ICV6 Controller

Stand: Innovative Marine

Hood: None

Sump: AIO

Refugium: To be decided, possibly santa monica hog

Refugium Lighting: TBA

Support systems:

System Water: Aquaforest Reef Salt ASW

Display Water circulation: Tunze 6040 DC

Return Pump: Tunze Silence 1073.050 DC

Skimmer: Tunze 9004 DC

Evaporation Top Up: Tunze Osmolator Nano

Filtration: 2 Litres of Seachem Matrix in IM Custom Caddy's, Marine Pure in Return Chamber, Activated Carbon in IM Reactor.

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: AF Component 123 via Kamoer X4

Alkilinity Addition: AF Component 123 via Kamoer X4

Other Chemical Maintenance: Phosphate minus& Zeo Mix in IM Reactor, Aquaforest probiotic method.

Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates: 1ppm
Phosphates: 0.01ppm
Alkalinity: 7.6 DKH
Calcium: 500ppm
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.026
Magnesuim: 1430

Livestock:
Fish
Possum Wrasse
Snowflake Clownfish Pair
Yellow Tang
Tiger Blenny

Coral
Acanthastrea sp
Acropora sp
Goniopora sp
Monipora sp

Inverts
Redline Cleaner Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp
Sexy Shrimp
White Spot Anemone Shrimp Pair
Bubble Tip Anemone
Naso Snails
Trochus Snails
Turbo Snails
Money Cowrie Snails

:banana:
Last edited by Bangalang on Thu 26 Oct, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Re: Bangalang's Fusion 40

Postby Bangalang » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 10:48 pm

So I got a call from Majestic Aquariums through the week saying my tank had arrived!! I was pretty keen to get this thing started as I really missed not having a tank around. I went over to the store on thursday afternoon and got to check out their shark tank which is pretty cool.

The tank is really quite decent quality for the money, silicone is all nice and neat and the filter area is really not as tiny as I was expecting. Plenty of space for the gear I am planning.

Now the stand on the other hand is an absolute piece of cheap rubbish. I don't know where they managed to source such cheap hardware and the laminating is terrible. Luckily most, but certainly not all, of the bubbling and defects are on the inside of the cabinet. For $550 I think it could be a lot better. Actually looks not too bad in this photo but quality control must be non existent at the factory.

I decided to give the ghost skimmer a try and if it is no good there seems to be quite a few others that can fit into the space. And I also got a custom caddy which I will run some carbon and marine pure in. I will also order in a mini max reactor for some phosban once the tank gets going.

In position and filling with rodi

And here is the aquascape, I am not too sure at the moment but I think I might either lower the legs of the rockwork or remove the top rock just to allow more room for growth. I will give it a day and the make a decision.

Next step is to hang the lights and let it do its thing for a few weeks. Still have to buy my wavemaker and a heater that fits in the back chambers too.
I will take some photos with the proper camera once the water clears and I get some lights up.
Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Postby Autonomy » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 4:26 pm

Bangalang wrote: Now the stand on the other hand is an absolute piece of cheap rubbish. I don't know where they managed to source such cheap hardware and the laminating is terrible. Luckily most, but certainly not all, of the bubbling and defects are on the inside of the cabinet. For $550 I think it could be a lot better. Actually looks not too bad in this photo but quality control must be non existent at the factory.

Speaking from experience, unfortunately, you aren't the first one this has happened to. :konk:

So far so good, love the aquascaping. :clap:
I'm already liking what I see so I'll definitely be following along. :)
"...the sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonders forever" Jacques Cousteau
Autonomy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Bangalang » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:46 pm

Thanks mate. It seems a shame the stand is so shoddy, the tank is quite nice.

I decided to remove the top rock of the aquascape and now have plenty more room for vertical growth.

Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Postby Bangalang » Mon 08 May, 2017 2:28 pm

So cycle has all finished now and the skimmer has stopped with the microbubbles. Not as quiet as the RE but looks like it will do the trick.
Grabbed a reactor for my carbon and will prob grab another one for the zeolites, I am going to give the Aquaforest gear a go. Seems to be pretty reasonably priced and the lfs stocks the whole range.

Also got a new wavemaker and a magnet. The strong care magnet from my last tank feels like I will pull the nano off the stand :roflmao:

New wavepump is really nice and low profile, absolutely love it and might grab another for the opposite side.
Overall I am really happy with the setup and am enjoying having the space under the stand with no sump.
The rear of the tank is getting rather full now and I added 2litres of matrix in the caddies. There is space for the other reactor and a drop in algae scrubber if need be.
Possibly chuck the first fish in very soon!
Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Postby Bangalang » Thu 11 May, 2017 11:14 am

First fish is in! I wanted to get my wrasse in first and loved the look of the Carpenters Flasher Wrasse.

This is Colin.

Will prob add a Royal Gramma tomorrow as I have given up on finding a Black Cap Basslet. Then it's time for corals :pirate:
Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Re: Bangalang's Fusion 40 - New Fish

Postby tlc » Thu 11 May, 2017 9:31 pm

Looks great lad. I have a IM panorama sitting in a box at the moment and an IM 30 with fresh water. I really like the tanks. I will enjoy following. Keep the updates coming.
tlc
Centurion Reefer

Postby Bangalang » Thu 11 May, 2017 10:24 pm

Thanks Tracy, I am very happy with the tank and already thinking of where I could fit one of the larger shallow reef models in the house.
Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Postby Bangalang » Sun 14 May, 2017 7:16 pm

So I got my Royal Gramma and she is super cute. So tiny, like 20mm long. I have named her Elizabeth, starting to become a bit comfortable with the tank now but I didn't see her at all the first day.

I am going to try and leave off buying more fish for a while(see how that goes :roflmao:) and focus on getting the chemistry right for corals.
I have started dosing the Aquaforest products ProBio S and NP Pro and also ordered my reactor for the zeolites.
Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Postby Bangalang » Wed 17 May, 2017 6:26 pm

So the reactor turned up today but I won't be able to get the zeolites for another week unfortunately. Hopefully the stock comes in earlier though.

I also grabbed another custom caddy to replace the standard one I had on one side. The custom caddies are a massive improvement over the standard ones.Image

My kids are absolutely loving the fish but are getting impatient about having no clownfish haha.
Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Postby Bangalang » Sat 27 May, 2017 7:17 pm

Still not a great deal to update as I was wanting to put off buying too many corals and fish until the zeo is up and running. But I have made some progress this week and got the zeo mix in the tank. I have started with 125mls of stones and also have 125mls of Phosban in the same reactor.

I love the design of these reactors, so easy to change media. Just switch it off and remove the inner chamber. No removing pumps or tubes etc.

I also added a bubble tip anemone so that it can walk around and hopefully pick a spot to stay while the tank is empty. The nem is currently hiding under a rock so no pics yet.
Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Postby tlc » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 5:20 am

Any updates?
tlc
Centurion Reefer

Postby Bangalang » Tue 26 Sep, 2017 6:25 pm

I have been meaning to do one actually, will try and get one up soon. There has been some issues with my rock which has been placed in time out in the garage until the phosphates are gone :nono:
Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Postby Bangalang » Mon 02 Oct, 2017 9:58 pm

Ok so I have been a bit slack on the updates for a while so this will be a long one.
I have had a few problems along the way, flasher wrasse was being a prick and harassing the gramma non stop so I had to to get rid of it. Then a week later the gramma gets eaten by my anemone :wall: I decided that seem as I was fishless it would be a good time to take the rock out as it was leaching phosphates like crazy, well that worked wonderfully and all the corals were going awesome until I put in my new scape using different rock. This new rock seemed to have heaps of phosphates also even though I had been curing it with lanth in a tub for a couple of weeks. I think my issue was that the sediment from the lanth had covered all of the rock so completely that nothing else was being treated anymore. Anyways this is what the new scape looks like

I have washed the other rock with acid and am curing it in the garage at the moment and will probably swap the rock over when it is ready. I feel that the other scape had much more caves and swimthroughs for the fish and shrimp to check out.

I have made a few equipment upgrades too, first up was the skimmer. The ghost skimmer was louder than I could handle and it also didn't seem to skim as well as I liked so I got the Tunze which is a massive upgrade. Much quiter and skims really well.

Then I got a Maxspect Ethereal light which is awesome, much more control over the previous light and the shimmer is really nice. The fitting is really well built and looks much nicer too.

Then I figured I may as well get rid of the noisy stock return pump too and grabbed a Tunze dc one. Much better in every way!

Next was the dosing pump which I have actually only just had time to setup this weekend, even though I bought it about 5 weeks ago! I got the Kamoer X4 as I was able to get it through the LFS along with all the Tunze gear.

I got a great deal on the matching containers too. They are quite nice and have a float switch inside which will alert you if the level gets low. They also just happen to fit perfectly in my space. :pirate:
I have got the cabinet about as tidy as I think I can given how much stuff I have in such a tiny space, each side of the cabinet is only 260mm wide.

I have started to add the livestock again and am really happy with my selections so far.
I have a cool little possum wrasse who is always weaving in and out of the rockwork.

And a pair of snowflake clowns who have taken up residence in my pink goni.

I also have a tiny baby yellow tang that is the size of a 50c piece in quarantine. I will be getting a larger tank next year and figured that they may be harder to come by soon.

I bought a pair of anemone shrimp and the female was loaded with eggs which is pretty cool. I am setting up a system in the garage to try and raise the next load of babies.

I also got a red line cleaner and a peppermint shrimp that I haven't taken a photo of yet. And I got a female sexy shrimp, she came in with eggs too and they hatched while she was being acclimated! Pretty cool to see, unfortunately I wasn't setup to raise them and I only managed to keep them alive for a few days. I am on the hunt for a male one now.

Everything in the tank seems quite happy with all the corals going well and colouring up. I have switched over to the Aquaforest salt as well as using their coral foods, zeo and balling method, hopefully I continue to see positive results. Overall I am happy with how everything is going, it is just frustrating about the rocks but at least it is an easy one to rectify. Here is a couple of coral shots, hopefully I won't be so slack with the updates as this took a long time haha.

Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)