• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Mike's Reefer 350

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Mike's Reefer 350

Postby Vilante » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 8:26 pm

Introduction:

I have been running a standard 4ft (48x12x18) for a year with some fish, softies and LPS. It's been going well but it doesn't have a sump which I've found restrictive and the stand just doesn't fit in with our house, it's quite outdated. So I've taken the plunge and ordered a white Reefer 350, will be delivered in a few weeks.

System Objectives: What is the end result going to be?
To build on my knowledge and get the tank to the point that I can run SPS

System Type: Fish only, FOWLR, Predator, SPS, Mixed Reef, Softies only, Non photosythetic Corals?
Mixed reef

Strike up Date: Date system started
TBA - Around the start of August, transferring livestock and live rock from current tank

Display Tank: Display tank specifications.
1200x550x500 - 12mm glass, back parcel overflow

Display Lighting: Lighting specifications.
Hydra 26 (one from the current tank and another to follow)

Stand: Stand specifications.
Reefer white stand and sump

Hood: Hood specifications.
NA

Sump: Sump specs if applicable.
70L

Refugium: Refugium Specifications if applicable.
NA

Support systems:

System Water:
Ultimate Aquacare Salt/live rock - A box of Caribsea Realrock with the new tank and coral sand TBA. Will change to a better salt down the line

Display Water circulation: In tank water circulation.
Tunze 6045 and a Jebao RW-8 - Will upgrade to another RW-8 soon after it's running and upgrade to WP-40 so I can use the battery backup in the long run

Return Pump:
Vectra M1

Chiller:
Hailea HC-150a - Needs to be upgraded for next summer

Skimmer:
Nyos Quantum 160

Evaporation Top Up:
Standard ATO to begin with

Last edited by Vilante on Mon 04 Jul, 2016 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: Mike's Reefer 350

Postby Vilante » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 8:26 pm

If anyone has any suggestions or comments I'd love to hear them!
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby wayne2.0 » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 8:38 pm

They are great tanks.

The return could be better as you say, otherwise looking good.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby josdal03 » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 8:46 pm

Best bits of advice I can give to get a goal of a system supporting sps:

1. If you have the money, by the best equipment you can afford upfront. Will save money in the long run when you find cheap equipment doesnt meat the task and upgrade it anyway.

2. Stability is key! Sudden changes will have bad effects on the reef, buy a dosing pump or calcium reactor if you can.

3. Strong lighting. Cheap LEDs will turn sps brown (from experience).

4. Prevention before reaction. Implement nitrate & phosphate removal methods from start up date rather than additing when they become an issue.

5. Low and stable nutrients. Keep nitrates below 5ppm and phosphates below 0.08ppm.

6. Dont over stock bioload. Too many fish will make it hard to keep nutrients low.

Hope that helps, this is all from experience.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
josdal03
Curious Reefer

Postby Vilante » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 9:15 pm

Really appreciate the replies guys. What would you suggest for a return? I don't think I can stretch to the Vectra but have that in the back of my mind.

I'm running Rawphos at the moment and was going to continue that. I've got phosphate around 0.02 in the old tank after having it high in the beginning.

A doser will definitely be in my future, once finances allow. I have been reading heaps about Randy's but yet to decide on a direction.

I have 3 Chromis, 2 clowns, a wrasse, lawnmower and coral beauty in there now. The wrasse and the blenny will have to go as they''re proven jumpers. The wrasse nearly did it again just now as I was cleaning the glass. Hope to add a small tang of some kind in the future but won't add anything till the new tank is well settled.

Thanks again!
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby josdal03 » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 9:39 pm

The Nyos pumps are great pumps, I think the 5.0 is max 2000L/Hr which is fine for a return. Maybe think about upgrading if you want to run other reactors or chiller off the return pump also.

Possibly look at something for nitrate control, maybe biopellets or at least put some big blocks of marinepure so you can start to establish anerobic bacteria (nitrate eating bacteria).

I have a number of jumping fish including wrasses without a screen and havnt had any fish jump, the key is plenty of hiding spaces for the fish so the dont get startled and jump.

josdal03
Curious Reefer

Postby Vilante » Thu 09 Jun, 2016 9:53 pm

josdal03 wrote:The Nyos pumps are great pumps, I think the 5.0 is max 2000L/Hr which is fine for a return. Maybe think about upgrading if you want to run other reactors or chiller off the return pump also.

Possibly look at something for nitrate control, maybe biopellets or at least put some big blocks of marinepure so you can start to establish anerobic bacteria (nitrate eating bacteria).

I have a number of jumping fish including wrasses without a screen and havnt had any fish jump, the key is plenty of hiding spaces for the fish so the dont get startled and jump.

RS recommends 3000 so maybe I need something bigger?

I was thinking of a block of marine pure and possibly doing biopellets as well. I don't think I can run a calcium reactor, too exxy.

That's good to know. Maybe there's not enough hiding in my current tank, they've both been on the floor twice. The scape will definitely be bigger and more complex in the new tank.
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby wayne2.0 » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 10:30 am

I try to keep everything DC, it= lower power usage and lower heat transfer. 2000l is a bit low but one of the best things about this tank is the noise control, you can adjust the return flow to balance it = no water noise at all, plus a DC pump is very quite. Well most DC is quite but those older model MP,s 60 In particularly sound like F1 car powering up.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby Vilante » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 11:10 am

wayne2.0 wrote:I try to keep everything DC, it= lower power usage and lower heat transfer. 2000l is a bit low but one of the best things about this tank is the noise control, you can adjust the return flow to balance it = no water noise at all, plus a DC pump is very quite. Well most DC is quite but those older model MP,s 60 In particularly sound like F1 car powering up.

Sounds good to me.

It seeming more and more like the Vectra M1 is the way to go. It has enough flow to run the chiller, return and 2 reactors. Arg, my wallet :)
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Batts » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 4:48 pm

Good luck with ur tank vilante. There are some really good advice from josdal03.
Batts
Centurion Reefer

Postby Vilante » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 5:09 pm

Batts wrote:Good luck with ur tank vilante. There are some really good advice from josdal03.

Thank you mate! Will document the process :)
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Vilante » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 12:06 pm

So, I'm getting myself confused the more I read so I figure I'd see anyone can clear my head.

I'm trying to get my head around the filtration for the tank and there seems to be so many options. This what I initially had in mind:

About 28kg live rock (18 of that is new Liferock)
Skimmer - Tunze 9012 which will be upgraded to an in-sump model eventually
Marine pure - large block
Rawphos in TLF 150 reactor - already have this
Bio pellets in a reactor which is yet to be purchased - This couldn't happen till I had an in-sump skimmer I don't think

I have asked a couple of people with nice tanks and the opinions range from 'that looks great' to 'I dose for nitrate' to 'I do barely anything'.

What are peoples thoughts?

Cheers :)
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby josdal03 » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 4:56 pm

There is no such thing as a "right way to do things" approach in this hoppy, I think people get too wrapped up in reactors, chemicals, media, carbon dosing etc. which creates frustration when their tanks don't look spectacular like other peoples tanks do.

There are numerous approaches to the two key objectives everybody is trying to achieve 1. have a healthy vibrant tank 2. Stability. It all depends on bioload and tank age so my advise is to prevent rather that react.
In regards to filtration we must look at what we are trying to achieve - removal of wastes to keep water clear and low nutrients to avoid nasty algae outbreaks.
My suggestion is pick one method and stick with it e.g. decent skimmer, Rowaphos for phosphate removal and either biopellets or marinepure for nitrate removal.
Do note that Marinepure may take upto 6-8 months for enough anaerobic bacteria to colonise to start reducing nitrates.
I've used biopellets in the past with excellent results but they require good skimming, take about 6 weeks to kick in, a must is good flow through the reactor to avoid the pellets from clumping (stagnant pellets can poison a tank).

As an example if you have looked at my Tank Journal (ZEO SPS Holding Tank) I run both phosphate and nitrate removal techniques with pretty good success but don't get me wrong I have had frustrating times and a "do nothing approach" for me would kill my tank.

Hope that helps
josdal03
Curious Reefer

Postby Vilante » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 10:17 pm

That sounds like great advice, thank you.

I did not know that about Marinepure. Maybe it would be worth trying bio pellets to begin with while in wait for the marinepure to kick in.

Appreciated your feedback.
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Vilante » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 3:28 pm

I moved the old tank across the room on the weekend and everything seems happy so far. I did it so early as I was worried about how uneven the last tank was, and wanted to get the new cabinet in place and get a plinth made up for it.

The LFS was nice enough to let me take the cabinet early. Got it in place and it's dead level haha. Must be the old stand that's out.

Have ordered a Nyos 160 and a Vectra M1. Was toying with cheaper options for both but figure these will negate the need for further upgrade. Also, what pretty toys! :)
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby brainplug » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 5:40 pm

Good choice on the Nyos, very happy with my 120, easily adjustable and quiet. The M1 will also allow feed mode via a reeflink which is the one thing I wish my Nyos Viper 2.0 provided. Have fun setting it all up. I also agree with others that you should buy the absolute best you can afford up front. It'll certainly be cheaper in the long run but your wallet may hurt a little initially ;)
brainplug
RTAW Reefer

Postby Vilante » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 10:02 am

brainplug wrote:Good choice on the Nyos, very happy with my 120, easily adjustable and quiet. The M1 will also allow feed mode via a reeflink which is the one thing I wish my Nyos Viper 2.0 provided. Have fun setting it all up. I also agree with others that you should buy the absolute best you can afford up front. It'll certainly be cheaper in the long run but your wallet may hurt a little initially ;)

That's good to hear! It makes sense, just so much wallet pain in the mean time ha.

I picked up a fluidised reactor second hand so I think I'm going to run bio pellets and rawphos to begin with and see how it goes. I can always add Marinpure later and run carbon instead but I'm planning on running a decent amount of rock.

Should I run these straight away and during the cycle or wait till the cycle is done?
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby wayne2.0 » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 11:02 am

The bio pellets take a long time to build up, so the sooner you start them the better. Also from the start means you can just put them all in, in one go. Otherwise you have to add them in slowly.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby Vilante » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 3:53 pm

wayne2.0 wrote:The bio pellets take a long time to build up, so the sooner you start them the better. Also from the start means you can just put them all in, in one go. Otherwise you have to add them in slowly.

Awesome, thanks Wayne :thumbsup:
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Vilante » Thu 30 Jun, 2016 6:35 pm

First bit of kit in ha...

Skimz FM100 fluidised reactor for pellets. It's bigger than I'd imagined. I got it second hand for a decent price and it only needs 1000L/h max so it's a bit easier on the pump than some others. Will run this and the TLF150 with Rawphos off the Vectra and have room to spare so it's not running flat out all the time.

The chiller will use a different pump as I'm going to put it outside, but that's a question (size of pump wise) for another time.
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Vilante » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 6:21 pm

Oh my God, Oh my God, Oh my God!!

It's bigger than I thought, again :) So pretty.
Last edited by Vilante on Sat 02 Jul, 2016 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby wayne2.0 » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 11:09 pm

:thumbsup:
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby Vinno » Sat 02 Jul, 2016 1:04 am

Wow looking good, dam maybe i should of gotten white
Vinno
Curious Reefer

Postby Vilante » Sat 02 Jul, 2016 8:08 am

Vinno wrote:Wow looking good, dam maybe i should of gotten white

There aren't any in the country so you'd have to wait a couple of months anyway. Took me ages to find this and it was a floor model but it's in perfect condition.
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mal » Sat 02 Jul, 2016 9:31 pm

Looks awesome so far mate, well done. The NYOS is a thing of beauty isn't it! :) :D
Mal's Cade HL600 - 2FT Cube

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=265239#p1257965
Mal
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Vilante » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:04 am

It's so pretty! :)

I'm thinking about running the chiller outside as it gets really hot in our place, it has heaps of glass. Should I run it off its own pump or would it be worth getting the L1 and running everything off one pump? It's only $100 more.

I need to work out a size for the chiller pump, and ideas on that? The chiller needs 200L/H flow itself but not sure how to calculate how much more flow to push it the 10m each way to the chiller, plus 1m in height.
Last edited by Vilante on Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Black X » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:08 am

Get one of the adjustable Ehiem's.
Black X
Centurion Reefer

Postby Vilante » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:09 am

Black X wrote:Get one of the adjustable Ehiem's.

To use on thee chiller you mean Black X?
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby clubbi4 » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 10:53 am

Forget ehiem, get yourself a DC pump. Much better than ehiem
My Cade HL-900 Build : viewtopic.php?f=148&t=263538
clubbi4
RTAW Reefer

Postby Vilante » Sun 03 Jul, 2016 2:09 pm

Started mucking around with a scape today.

The plan is to use my current live rock on the right hand side, and to possibly get a bit more height in the middle. I have this fan piece which is awesome and I want to use on the right but want to be careful of making it look semmetrical with the high bit on the left.

Sorry about the crappy glass, in the middle of a water change.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)