• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Mal's Cade HL600 - 2FT Cube

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Postby Mal » Tue 22 Dec, 2015 11:12 am

Introduction:
Hi All, for those of who were following my Red Sea Reefer 350 build will know that i recently had to shut it down and trade in for a smaller tank due an interstate house move later next year from Sydney to Brisbane and more than likely having to live with friends until our house is built. This meant that i only had enough room at their place for a smaller tank if i wanted to keep a tank. So here we are and as of last week, the new, smaller tank was wet with all livestock carried over. I did lose my female clown during the process which i was shattered about as she had just paired up with the male and started hosting the Green BTA :wall: :furious:

Anyway, once we do move house, i'll be repurposing this tank into my home office as a FOWLR and have my heart set on a volitans lionfish to take residence.
Plans are also underway for a custom build for the new house with dimensions yet to be confirmed. :clap:

I must admit for whatever reason, i love this new tank way more than the bigger one and its exactly how i've always wanted it to look and feel. I'm spending even more time staring at it and tinkering too :nut:

System Type:
Mixed Reef - Fish, mostly softies and some LPS later on. Possibly a clam but not sure yet.

Strike up Date:

Already wet as of the 17th December 2015, old tank was taken away by my LFS who did the trade-in, install and swap for me

Display Tank:
2015 Cade HL600 2FT Cube 600x600x550, 10mm Starphire Glass Front and Side with Black Back, Twin Return Nozzles and Back Parcel Overflow

Sump:
2 Level DT inlet (top & bottom) running polyfilter and filter wool on top with MarinePure balls at the bottom section, Skimmer chamber, refugium area housing a Marine Pure block, heaters & finally the return pump chamber.
The new Cade's come with a top-up reservoir with float switch however are a complete PITA so i've removed it completely with plans to get an ATO system in the next couple of days.

Total Capacity:
Approx 245-250 Ltrs including Sump

Display Lighting:
This time went with Kessil A360WE Tuna Blue on a Gooseneck Mount, controlled by the Kessil Spectral Controller - I might ad that i recently had a party for my 30th and got plenty of compliments on this light and the shimmer it creates :cheers:

Stand:
Standard Cade Stand in White

Hood:
Rimless :devil:

System Water:
Red Sea Blue Bucket with RO Water

Display Water circulation:
Currently only using the flow created from the twin return nozzles on either side of the back glass - if anyone thinks i need more flow, i'm happy for advice :)

Return Pump:
Waveline DC-4000 currently running at 75%

Skimmer:
RLSS R6i carried over from the previous tank

Heater:
2 x Eheim Jaeger 200W

Chiller:
NOT YET

Evaporation Top Up:
Shortly purchasing a Tunze Osmolator ATO

Dosing Pump:
5 x Johnlen dosing pumps

Chemical Support:
Calc, Mag, and Alk

[b]Substrate: Red Sea Pink Reef Base
Live Rock: Approx 22-24kg carried over from last tank

Current livestock:
1 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Shane)
1 x Lawnmower Blenny (Lenny)
1 x Blue Tang (Lex 2.0)
1 x Yellow Tang (Bin-Tang)
1 x Occelaris Clown (Bruce)
1 x Valentini Puffer (Percy)

Coral:
Goni
Hammer
Zoa
Green BTA
Green Leather

Pictures coming :laugh:

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=265239#p1257965
Mal
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: Mal's Cade HL600 - 2FT Cube

Postby fastjetjockey » Tue 22 Dec, 2015 11:31 am

That's a pretty serious tank for an interim measure. Excellent! That's a shame about your clown though; why do you think she didn't make it?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
fastjetjockey
Centurion Reefer
Welcome Team
MASOV Member Current

Postby Mal » Tue 22 Dec, 2015 11:52 am

fastjetjockey wrote:That's a pretty serious tank for an interim measure. Excellent! That's a shame about your clown though; why do you think she didn't make it?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

thanks mate! haha yeah it is isn't it!..i was too stubborn to have it any lesser and the whole thing didn't cost me a dime!..the only thing i paid for was the new lighting system which was all done on vouchers i scored through work!
I can't put my finger on why she didn't make it, could've been the temperature change when i put her back into the tank, then again, everyone else made it through despite being a bit freaked out from the whole ordeal.

Mal
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mal » Tue 22 Dec, 2015 12:31 pm

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mal
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mal » Tue 05 Jan, 2016 11:55 am

Happy New Year everyone! - Time for an update:

I'll begin on a sad note that Lenny the Lawnmower Blenny died unexpectedly over the weekend with cause of death undetermined - i'm devastated as it was my favourite fish.
Everyone else is happy and a Purple Tang has made its way in there. I'm overstocked at the moment but once the house is built, they'll get a much bigger home. i've finally narrowed the big tank down to 2 options.
I did a water test after i took Lenny out and the parameters were all OK aside from low calcium which should be fixed out. I spoke to my LFS about his sudden departure and we couldn't really put a finger on it.
Our only suspicion is that it might've starved to death although he looked healthy enough to me. Are Lawnmower Blenny's known to eat mostly algae? Mine did chow down on frozen food every now and then.

Aside from that, i've installed the Tunze top-up system and thrown out the top-up reservoir these new Cade's come with - they are and were a major P.I.T.A :wall:
The top up system is running off a 25L water bin i got from Bunnings and boy does it make a difference not having to fill up a tiny reservoir!.. i do it once a week now almost. So much better :clap:

I also decided to make the most of my Xmas holidays and got a 4 shelf stand in white from Bunnings to store all my test kits, parts,feeding equipment and other bits - will put up a pic tonight. So much easier to build than IKEA furniture!

In other news, my other half recently decided she wants a fish tank too so we picked an Aqua One AR980 from Gumtree for an absolute steal - this will be an African Cichlid setup though, 2 marine tanks would've been a little too much with an interstate move 6 months away :konk: - We've finished the aquascape and started the cycle over the weekend. Apparently its my job to do all the maintenance - she just wants to feed the fish :roflmao: :roflmao:
Told her last night that she's going to be taught how to perform water tests etc - should've seen the look i got :nut: . Anywho that was slightly off topic but wanted to share the news.

Since the loss of my Blenny, i doubt anymore livestock will be added now until we've moved into our new home and the new tank has been delivered.
You should see the list of equipment i've written down for it so far. i should just take a brick of cash to my LFS front counter and make it rain haha. For now, i'll stick with adding coral and making it all look pretty. :clap:

Mal
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mal » Tue 05 Jan, 2016 8:53 pm

This is Percy waiting for mum to feed him while dads at work!

Will be making a little stand out of egg crate for the bottles hooked up to the dosing pumps.

Mal
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby hanzelz » Thu 07 Jan, 2016 12:38 pm

HOw is the dosing going?
Do you find it necessary/beneficial for such a small tank?
hanzelz
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mal » Thu 07 Jan, 2016 1:41 pm

hanzelz wrote:HOw is the dosing going?
Do you find it necessary/beneficial for such a small tank?

Yeah i do find it quite useful actually. I usually test the water once or twice a week to make sure i dial down dosing pumps as needed. Made life alot easier than manual dosing, even with a tank this size.
As an example, my last test indicated my Calcium was low so i dialled it up a little, now its evening out so I've readjusted back down to keep it consistently at the same level.
I actually don't think its overkill having dosing pumps setup for a tank this size as you're still maintaining a reef that requires the specific parameters. With a smaller tank, things can go wrong much quicker though.

Have you got a tank or thinking of getting one?

Mal
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mal » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 1:54 pm

So Sydney copped a nasty storm yesterday and a tree decided that our power lines needed to be relocated to the concrete...power outage, Tank offline overnight....

Mercy dash to a local officeworks for a UPS - got the return pump turning over water for hopefully a couple of hours. had to leave for work and saw the Ausgrid truck turn up to attend to our street outage...fingers crossed its fixed and power has taken over from my UPS...

Guess what i'm buying next - battery backup and a better UPS....

Still at work, stressing about losing the 'kids'. My other half will be devasted if we lose the Valentini Puffer (Percy)....and the Blue Tang (Lex)

hurry up 5pm...tick tock, tick tock...

Mal
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby jayellul » Fri 22 Jan, 2016 11:12 am

My tank was without power for 4 days and nights in the April storms. I would not stress about over night at all :)
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mal » Fri 22 Jan, 2016 4:57 pm

Good to know, thanks for that mate!..always a worry when you've gone through such an experience before!..my big tank will definitely have a lot of redundancy!

Mal
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mal » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi All, this tank was shut down due to an upcoming move to Brisbane where the missus and I are building a house. This tank will become a quarantine tank and have 'approval' for a 6foot Cade. Construction of the house begins August so i'll do up a new TJ closer to when things start moving.

Mal
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mal » Mon 27 Jun, 2016 2:17 pm

Ended up selling this tank to a fellow reefer prior to our interstate move. my other half made a valid point, i'll probably end up not wanting to hook it up and will want something brand new again. :)

Mal
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby muz_z » Thu 30 Jun, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks Mal for a great deal :thumbsup:

And must say very well looked after tank :bow: :bow:
- All Controlled by Profilux-

New tank being started stay tuned! Cade HL600 BP!
muz_z
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mal » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 10:10 am

haha my pleasure Muzz. I loved that tank! I'm glad its going to an owner who'll look after it as well or better than me!

Mal
Bicentenary Reefer

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)