• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Kris's Red Sea REEFER 250

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Kris's Red Sea REEFER 250

Postby green troll » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 1:03 pm

Yeah i think the top up res is ridiculously small for these tanks. When i get my reefer ill be going the tunze top up.
green troll
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mrkris » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 1:04 am

Quick update; last Thursday I decided that it's probably about time I started to bling my tank out a bit

I scored myself a green plating Monti frag, a green/yellow acro (which I'm sure will turn green) and a brain coral that looks like a someone's chewed on a crayon and spat on it.

excuse the crappy iphone pic. also i haven't decided exactly where i'm going to put them so they are just in there randomly.

Looking into recirculating bio pellet reactors with small footprint. Skimz has released one early August which looks promising. All the rest are either really big and or really expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby Sherb3rts » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 3:53 am

i looked into biopellets for a while, ended up trying a crap marine sources one. if you do choose biopellets then get one from aqualund (its like 500$ inc shipping) or an avast vibe which is even more expensive. I messaged the skimz guys in singapore and they dont plan to make 220v versions with aussie plugs. they said they could ship me a singapore one. http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDet ... uctid=1646

is the skimz singapore site. i was told $120 shipping....:S still its cheaper than the other options, but its still not recirculating!
What's this mythical "Budget" people keep asking me about?...

Current System Info:
RS Reefer350 ZEOvit -NeptuneApex -Radion XR30Pro -Vortech MP40 -Skimz -MarinePure -Avast Marine Vibe -Korallen Zucht
System build: http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=263003
Sherb3rts
Centurion Reefer

Postby mrkris » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 9:14 am

These are the ones i was starting to have a look at

http://www.skimz.sg/blog/?p=2784
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby mrkris » Tue 15 Sep, 2015 12:11 am

found this. its a no brainer

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=255166
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby Sherb3rts » Tue 15 Sep, 2015 12:15 am

wow i didnt know they had recirc ones! still its not true recirculation. the jns mod seems pretty popular, they use a sicce pump so there quiet as too :D
What's this mythical "Budget" people keep asking me about?...

Current System Info:
RS Reefer350 ZEOvit -NeptuneApex -Radion XR30Pro -Vortech MP40 -Skimz -MarinePure -Avast Marine Vibe -Korallen Zucht
System build: http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=263003
Sherb3rts
Centurion Reefer

Postby mrkris » Tue 15 Sep, 2015 12:29 am

how is it not a true recirc? it recirculates doesn't it? :P

the main things i really care about is being able to control how much water is processed while still being able to tumble the media and its not $500. This ticks all the boxes
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby mrkris » Thu 24 Sep, 2015 10:36 pm

Dear Diary

quick update.

biopellet reactor modded and installed. it tumbles and i can control the tumbling and flow independently. can't ask for much more. after having run it for the last 4 days ive noticed that my green dust algae on my glass is now white... ill get my google on to find out whats going on there.

with the recent addition i've decided that my sump is really badly designed and i want a new one. i cant fit as much as id like so im going to design a new one, same dimensions but slightly different layout.
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Kris's Red Sea REEFER 250

Postby green troll » Sat 26 Sep, 2015 6:08 pm

Yeah that's what I was thinking. But is the sump glass or acrylic. I thought the dumps weren't to bad a design. Except for the ato.

What design do you have in mind. Got any sketchers
green troll
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mrkris » Sun 27 Sep, 2015 12:02 pm

the reason i wanted to get one made _was_ because i wanted to rip and replace and it was ~$260. easy swap over in about an hour tops. whereas doing it myself i would have to faff around with cutting glass etc and be without a sump for longer. but now ive been thinking and i will probably give it a go myself first.

So, i essentially want to just use the space a bit better for my big skimmer and get rid of the bubble trap foam. i dont mind having socks but i dont like running them all the time because they catch all the good things like pods too.

below is what the factory sump looks like to help with visuals etc.

Change 1: ill cut out the existing sock holders, ATO reservoir supports and the float valve. for those without a reefer 250, the top of the pic is the inlet. i want the inlets to go directly into a _standard_ size filter sock. then have a chamber for my block of marine pure (where the current socks are). the water will flow from the bottom of the sock chamber into the marine pure chamber (single baffle). then out of the MP chamber to the top of the opposite corner which will be 1cm below the water level so there is no noise. the key here is no noise and my MP is in the most high flow area of the sump. i can do a rough sketch if my description doesn't make sense.

Change 2: the section where my skimmer sits (the section thats 358x252x190) is a bit too small for my skimmer. i cant turn it around and i have to have it horizontal with dead space where id prefer it to be vertical and out of the way. my deltec needs ~27.5 cm to be able to turn it around. as i mentioned earlier i don't like the baffle/poo catching anti bubble foam that you have to use and want to get rid of it by changing to to a more pod friendly three baffle system. ill have it so it draws the water from the bottom goes up over and goes to the bottom of the return pump section. drawing the water from the bottom of the skimmer section alone will eliminate min 80/90% of the bubbles, the rest should get trapped in the baffles. i have a bit of room to move by using some of the space in the return pump section, it will be tight. i also want to change the height of the water in that section to 20/21cm (which is the sweet spot for the 1455's from what ive read)

mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby Mal » Sun 27 Sep, 2015 5:44 pm

Keen to see how this goes mate as I've got a 350 and am thinking of changing my sump design in the future too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mal's Cade HL600 - 2FT Cube

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=265239#p1257965
Mal
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mrkris » Sun 27 Sep, 2015 10:33 pm

Another quick update

ive been running the biopellets for about a week and im noticing some benefits. as i mentioned earlier the glass is a lot cleaner. after turning down the processed water flow rate the white powdery stuff has all but stopped. nitrates and phosphates are un detectable which isnt good, i didnt want to completely strip the tank. saying that there is some brown stringy algae on my rocks which has increased so im assuming thats where my remaining nutrients are going.

ill look into getting rid of that starting off with a lights out and fasting session for 4 days next weekend and see what that does.

at the moment im still turning the lights on and off manually so i wouldnt be surprised if some days they were on for 18 hours which wouldnt be helping. lol
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby mrkris » Tue 22 Dec, 2015 10:20 pm

Thought to myself its been awhile since ive done an update so here goes.

Finally have everything in and running nicely.

After months of waiting i have my marine pure and tunze controller. i cut my marine pure to size and put it in the inlet section of my sump. Tunze controller arrived and ive got all that going.

Brought and started playing around with a reeflink which has been great.

i have a bit of red cyano in some spots so i need to play around with flow but thats not a huge issue. im contemplating getting rid of my sand altogether.

now i need to sort out in cabinet lighting. ive ordered a few led strips so ill have something to install over the christmas break.

over the past few months all ive really been doing is buying corals i like the look of. i bought the brain coral on impulse and i wish i didnt. ive also bought a few mystery browned out corals pretty cheap. with any luck they will colour up into something other than green.

i changed to blue bucket salt which upset a few of my corals but they are slowly coming back to their former glory. in an attempt to save money i also changed my running temps to heater on @25 and chiller on @27 to bring it down to 26 which may have also stressed a few things a bit.

i havent gotten around to modding or getting another sump made. time has got the better of me and im managing with what i have for the time being.

Chiller has saved my bacon more than a few times over the last few weeks, weve had a bit of a heatwave here in adelaide which saw us at over 40 for about 5 days straight.

water changes are no longer enough to maintain CA and ALK so im going to have to dust of my dosing pump sooner rather than later.

mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby obsessed1 » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi Kris,

did you end up getting rid of the micro bubbles in the DT?
Red Sea Reefer 250

Ben & Alyce's 3x2x2 Shutdown
obsessed1
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mrkris » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 9:49 pm

yes, well mostly. once everything settled down there are a lot less (around 5% of what there was)

Eventually i will get around to making a new sump
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Postby mrkris » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 11:01 pm

Quick update.

i was having some issues with nuisance irony algae as a result of running ULNS so i decided to get rid of my biopellets.

i gradually removed them over about 5 weeks but my corals didnt deal with it too well. STN kicked in and i lost all my SPS over a few months. to be honest i kind of lost motivation after i all i was doing to try and save them was doing nothing so i let my tank go a bit.

ive been planning a bit of a revamp by going to T5 and getting a calcium reactor amongst other small tweaks. life interrupted a bit so for the time being its been downgraded to a fowlr until i get my arse into gear.
mrkris
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Previous

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)