• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Dom's 2ft Cube - Shutting Down & Signing Off

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Dom's 2ft Cube - Shutting Down & Signing Off

Postby Wrangy » Mon 16 Feb, 2015 6:56 pm

Introduction:
As some of you know I've been running my little cube for just shy of 2 years now and it's been one heck of an awesome ride. Plenty of up's and down's but more than enjoyable in the end. Due to some continually niggling problems that the tank had been having, I decided that a restart was the only way to move forward and given that the tank has now been restarted I think it was best that I restarted my journal as this is my new beginning. Using everything that I've learnt and the mistakes I made when I first set the tank up I've now tried to improve on it all and hopefully have things work a lot better and smoother!

System Objectives:
I have always loved Acropora sp. and the various other corals that make up the "SPS" grouping and so because of this, once again, I'll be aiming my tank completely towards running an sps dominated system. My aim is to keep them as happy and healthy as possible, with some wicked colours :D I'll also have my collection of ric's and zoa's coming across with me and my dearly beloved T. maxima clam!! (Who will be getting prime position in the tank!)

System Type:
SPS dominated with a few other colourful corals and some pretty fish!

Display System:
Strike up Date:
20th of January, 2015

Display Tank:
600x600x550mm & 200L
(24x24x24" & 50 gallons)

Display Lighting:
At the moment I'm running a 60cm Illumagic Blaze unit that is a 100w LED system, I love it and it's given me some great results but as I'm starting again, I'll be changing the lighting up a bit so stay tuned!

Stand:
Stand is an aluminium frame with perspex plates. Stands 800mm tall.

Hood:
Rimless baby!

Sump:
Sump is the stock 3-chamber sump that comes with my tank and holds enough to make things work!

Refugium:
No refugium will be run on this system.

Support systems:
System Water:
Red Sea Salt (Blue bucket)

Display Water circulation:
2x Jebao RW-4 powerheads
1x Tunze 6045

Return Pump:
Jebao DC3000

Skimmer:
RLSS R6-i, internal skimmer

Evaporation Top Up:
ATO run by the Tunze Osmolator

Other Support Systems:
Due to the success and positive influence that ZEOvit had on my tank I'll be running it from the get-go this time around to enjoy some more of those lovely ZEOvit benefits! I've started the 14 Day Cycle and I'm currently only on Day 2 but it is working it's magic as my fresh live rock and the tank has no smell whatsoever so the system has kicked in. For the moment and until the tank has matured and settled down a bit I'll only be running the basic 4 elements plus Sponge Power.
This is what my dosing schedule for the tank looks like:
ZEOlite Stones: 500ml shaken twice a day
Carbon: 200ml, replaced monthly
ZEObak: 2 drops 3 times a week
ZEOstart: 0.2ml dosed twice a day
Sponge Power: 2 drops every other day

Chemical Support:

Chemical Maintenance:
Brightwell Ca, Alk and Mg. All dosed via my Kamoer 3-channel dosing unit

Current Water Chemistry:
Not applicable as the tank has just started cycling!

I suppose I can put up some terrible photo's so it's not too boring haha
Here's where I'm at right now:

And here's where everyone is living semi-happily for the next few weeks :)

Well on another note, yesterday was a bit of a get together and LFS crawl with a few other reefer's here in my state so that was a bit of fun :yup: I promised myself I wasn't going to buy anything and I made it to the second last store! I was so close!! Then the greatest thing happened :D
I found something I've been looking for for quite some time now, a drop-dead gorgeous T. crocea and boy did I find one!! This beauty is about 3-4" in length with about 6 different colours on it! I saw it in one of the tanks, half hidden by eggcrate and I fell in love, I didn't really need to be going a spending the kind of cash I did lol but this is one of the best and only T. crocea I've ever seen like this in Australia so it wasn't really a decision of should I but more what can I go without till I'm paid next :P haha Anyway enough talking, here she is in all of her glory!

I am absolutely overjoyed at having found such an amazing specimen :D These photo's don't even show the half of it! I'll take some better shots tomorrow when she's open a little more :) The mantle edge is green and her inner mantle is as blue as my wonderful t. maxima!

Aside from that I'm getting closer to being happy with my scape :) This is what I've come up with so far! The rock on the bottom running to the front of the tank isn't in final position and needs to be cut in half to make it shorter as it's going to be my ric and zoa home :)

From the side:

Part of my restart was to make things much easier and simpler than what I had and to also keep things a heck of a lot more tidy and today I got most of the way through that :D I sent some time with the good old cable tidy-hidey lol and organised the cabling in my sump and all of the little control boxes that run and maintain my lovely little glass box of water!

It really is amazing how much more clean and tidy the sump looks just by hiding a few cables:Image

No sand in the tank yet which is why the sump appears to be lit haha

The next step I was going to put all of the boxes into a cabinet next to the sump to hide them and make things a little tidier but I decided to mount them on the side of the tank instead as it's easier to see and use that way, they can always be moved later if needed :)

Not a pro job or anything but I'm happy with it and it certainly makes things a crapload easier!! All I need to do now it tidy up a few last cables and get a small cabinet for my dosing equipment and any tank stuff I want to keep near the tank :)

Had my water tested today at my lfs too and it's all A+ across the board! Except for 5ppm nitrate but that's meant to be there lol so zeo has worked and today is day 14 so things will begin the adding process soon!!
Also aquakneaded the rockwork in place so it's nearly all ready! :D

So after three weeks since starting the tank this is where I'm at :) First fish is in the tank, my bellus angel, she was the only one trusting enough to get caught haha Other than that the zeo seems to be working well :) Most of my acro's have been moved across and have settled in :) Half the zoa's and still some to come, still deciding on what to do and where to put the ric's.

All the photo's were taken under blues as I'm trying to improve taking shots under blues :)

The beginnings of my zoa garden:

The first acro that went in the tank (others are in as well now too):

My little goni is across as well and seems to be cheering up nicely :)

Let me know what you all think :)
Hopefully everyone enjoys the ride with me as I'm looking forward to taking this journey again with a little more knowledge behind me!
And if you have any questions let me know, I'm only too happy to help out and answer what I can!
Last edited by Wrangy on Fri 10 Jun, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 23 times in total.
My little 2ft cube of zeo goodness:
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=262485

"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: Dom's 2ft ZEO Cube

Postby damer » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 8:10 am

Looking great Dom.
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
damer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Sponsor

Postby Wrangy » Wed 18 Feb, 2015 7:50 pm

bodyboardingbum wrote:Nice! Thanks for sharing.
Following along closely as i'm in the process of setting up my own ZEO 2ft cube at the moment... Well, collecting parts to start setting up once the tank arrives!

Very nice mate, they're a good size tank :) Sing out if you want to ask any questions

damer wrote:Looking great Dom.

Cheers mate :) I'm happy with how it's going, few diatoms at the moment though

"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Thu 19 Feb, 2015 5:45 pm

Last night I cleaned the glass of the diatom bloom that's going on at the moment, stirred the sandbed to remove build up and gunk and completed my first stone change on the tank (water change comes tomorrow!) and I have to say everything is looking even more amazing! Some happy corals in there! The large diatom bloom that was happening has pretty much died in the arse and only a little is left around :) Really loving going zeo from the start! I'll upload some pics after/during the water change tomorrow :)

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Week 5 Update

Postby Wrangy » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 3:27 pm

Okay so it's been 5 weeks since starting the tank, I performed the first ZEOvit stone change last week and that went like a dream! Everything responded well :) I thought I would give the stones a good week to settle before I jumped into the first water change on the tank and I reckon it was a good idea. So today with part of a finger missing that I managed to cut off at work:

I completed my first water change, which was a little tricky due to the finger haha but went without a hitch so that's a huge plus for me :) I also decided to get some shots and play around with the camera while I was at it and things were calm.
I have to say my zoa's have never looked better or been healthier than they are now, the garden I'm creating is going gang busters and I'm loving it!! Here's some shots:

The happiest and quickest to recover acro I have :) It's easy as pie to keep and I LOVE it!

The frag rack, still chockas:

Some of the acro's now residing in the tank:

My lovely little goni is nuts! It's so happy and loving it which is fantastic for me! I love the little thing!!

A FTS, excuse the bubbles, the water change created a few lol

And lastly is the loveliest little t. crocea clam I've ever seen that is enjoying life:

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Bangalang » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 8:00 pm

Nice zoa collection dude!
Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Postby pebbles » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 7:10 am

Very Nice Dominic, love the weee little clam. :clap:

:wavey:
angie
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 2:43 pm

Bangalang wrote:Nice zoa collection dude!

Thanks mate! It's taken me a while to build it up and I'm always looking for more :)

pebbles wrote:Very Nice Dominic, love the weee little clam. :clap:

:wavey:

Thanks Angie! I spent a long time looking for a little t. crocea like her and happened to find her half hidden under some eggcrate one day by chance! So I was a little excited about that :) She has certainly settled into the tank really well so I'm happy as about that, still yet to move my much larger maxima across

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby kodez » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 11:39 am

Nice taml killer zoa's there and tat clam, what a beauty!
kodez
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Sat 07 Mar, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks mate :) The clam is one of my favourites but don't tell anyone else that! lol

Got a few (quite a few lol) frags on Thursday which have settled nicely

Next on the list of additions is a small flame hawkfish in the hope and attempt to pair my hawkfish with her. Going to be a slow and careful process but hopefully I can get them to pair nicely :)

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Sat 07 Mar, 2015 6:08 pm

bodyboardingbum wrote:Tank is looking good. Loving all the frags, should look killer when they start to grow out!
Are you still only dosing the basics, ZeoBak, Sponge Power, and ZeoStart?

Hope the hand is better soon too! :|

Thanks :) I'm hoping so! I've got a huge day of gluing and placement tomorrow, hopefully I'll get the chance to move my maxima back into the tank too! :crossfingers:

Yep still only the basics at the moment and I started dosing biomate this week too, next dosing addition is going to be aminos. Hand is on the mend and nearly healed so I can't complain!

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby oscar85 » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 10:11 am

very nice, were are the beauty frags from?
oscar85
RTAW Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Tue 10 Mar, 2015 10:25 pm

oscar85 wrote:very nice, were are the beauty frags from?

From a friend who lives out my way :)

Little update for the moment :)

The frags have all settled into the tank really well, which is awesome because I didn't want them to lose their amazing colours!! So here's some shots of them:

My little zoa garden

Front tank shot:

Side tank shot:

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:18 pm

So I spent a few good hours today doing some gluing and sticking and rearranging and I'm pretty happy with how they've all turned out and mounted. I feel like I'm starting to achieve a more sps dominated look every time :) On to the shots I suppose! lol
The is the left arch of the tank:

Left arch again from the side of the tank:

Right side of the tank, the upper acro section:

Across the top from the left side:

Across the top from the right side:

Some fish (Hawk Hawkins lol) inspired shots lol:
As you can see here, this is where Hawk Hawkins usually likes to sit so that he has a pretty good view and is able to get close to the female. So at least he's showing lots of non-aggressive interest :)

Just some reference pics of some of the acro's for growth and colour :)

It wouldn't be an update without some zoa pics :D

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Thu 19 Mar, 2015 8:53 pm

Gotta say these have just blown my expectation of bright zoa's out of the water! Big thanks to Reefco for such amazing zoa's :D

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Bangalang » Thu 19 Mar, 2015 9:39 pm

:-x that green one is insane!
Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Sat 21 Mar, 2015 1:16 pm

Yeah they're pretty amazing!! :)

Good news is my T. maxima is finally back in the tank and has settled really well so I'm happy as a pig in [censored] now :)

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Wed 01 Apr, 2015 2:22 pm

Well I have to say my T. Maxima has responded exactly as I was hoping after life in the tub and now back into the tank with her prime spot in the tank again :D

Other than that enjoy some acro shots :) A little brown due to a bit of a drop in alk :/

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Ben S » Wed 01 Apr, 2015 9:09 pm

What's your dosing schedule?

It looks like you've a bit of algae on the sand bed, it might just be the photo though. It will probably help to dose Coral Snow as part of your dosing regime. I find it really helps clear things up, especially on the sand bed. :)

Ben
Ben S
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby kodez » Thu 02 Apr, 2015 2:29 am

You're last pic, that smooth skin green acro with purple tips, amazing, gunna be a killer coral!
kodez
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Fri 03 Apr, 2015 4:00 pm

Ben S wrote:What's your dosing schedule?

It looks like you've a bit of algae on the sand bed, it might just be the photo though. It will probably help to dose Coral Snow as part of your dosing regime. I find it really helps clear things up, especially on the sand bed. :)

Ben

Bak: 2 drops three times a week
Start: 0.2ml twice daily
SP: 3 drops every second day (need more though)
Biomate: 3 drops three times a week
AA: 3 drops twice a week
No coral snow but I do love the stuff, I'm buying a heap of supps to top everything up soon so I'll probably be getting some then as well :) I'm happy to simply ride the diatoms/algae out as they'll go away in their own time

kodez wrote:You're last pic, that smooth skin green acro with purple tips, amazing, gunna be a killer coral!

Yes, it really is a killer piece! I can't wait for it to become a big ol' colony :)

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Fri 03 Apr, 2015 6:38 pm

Some new shots for those that are following along

Clams:

Zoa's:

Just some SPS:

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby kodez » Fri 03 Apr, 2015 10:14 pm

That monti looks like it's going to turn out killer, I noticed your in vic, I know who i'll have to hit up for frags when I move there :P lol.
Looking really good though man, what's the name of the first clam in this post? I think I have a baby one about 30mm long, starting to show colours similar to yours.
FTS?
kodez
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 8:48 pm

kodez wrote:That monti looks like it's going to turn out killer, I noticed your in vic, I know who i'll have to hit up for frags when I move there :P lol.
Looking really good though man, what's the name of the first clam in this post? I think I have a baby one about 30mm long, starting to show colours similar to yours.
FTS?

I'm hoping so :) Thanks mate, the first clam is a t. crocea, my absolute favourite species :) No FTS's at the moment lol been too lazy to take one recently, but I have some more zoa shots :konk:

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Sat 11 Apr, 2015 11:49 am

Just a little morning FTS:
New stones have settled in and things are starting to move to the next gear so happy days! I'm going to add a little more sand to the tank to complete the coverage and bulk it up a little but everything is going well :)

The new male red mandarin is getting the hang of food (LOVES the lobster eggs!) and hopefully won't be long before he's onto the pellets, he's in confinement in the little box of glory lol

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby uglyman » Sat 11 Apr, 2015 12:58 pm

You have some fine looking sps man and the zoa's you have are very sexy :-x .

I love your laid back attitude to the cyano and diatoms as I think a lot of people freak out when their tanks have any of either of them show up and they run to the first bottle of whatever chemical that states it will remove it. Stay calm and don't panic it will work out in the end :thumbsup:
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef

If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.

Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
uglyman
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator
MASOV Member Current

Postby Wrangy » Sun 12 Apr, 2015 3:53 pm

uglyman wrote:You have some fine looking sps man and the zoa's you have are very sexy :-x .

I love your laid back attitude to the cyano and diatoms as I think a lot of people freak out when their tanks have any of either of them show up and they run to the first bottle of whatever chemical that states it will remove it. Stay calm and don't panic it will work out in the end :thumbsup:

Thanks mate :) :cheers: Hopefully I can continue doing justice to them in the tank! I will hopefully get a little more colour once the alk is back up and stable again though :)

Yep, I couldn't agree more and it's the worst thing to do (maybe not the worst but not the best haha). I figure with time and the usual TLC it'll clear up and be gone in no time, not something I plan on stressing about if I'm going to keep this tank running for years to come, it'll pass in time :) thanks for stopping by, I've always admired your tank and can't wait to see what you bring with the new one!!

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Sun 12 Apr, 2015 7:46 pm

This is what happens when you try and take top down shots with a bellus angel who just wants attention:

Easily some of my new favourite acro's:
Pastel baby blue:

Robusta:

Another shot of the new friend :)

Clam is still doing really well since moving back into the tank :D

And just some nice colours, no change since the last photo haha

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby titusho » Sun 12 Apr, 2015 10:51 pm

looking good Dom
titusho
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Wrangy » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 6:00 pm

titusho wrote:looking good Dom

Thanks Simon :)

Wrangy
Bicentenary Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)