• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Raven's upgrade 4x2x2 coral garden (Shut Down)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Raven's upgrade 4x2x2 coral garden (Shut Down)

Postby Raven » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 2:43 am

Introduction:
Hello everyone! WARNING LONG INTRO!

I've only been on the forums for a few weeks and through much encouragement I've decided to start my very first tank journal.
So a little about myself first :). I live in Perth and have been keeping fish for...about 5 years. Most of which was for fresh water planted. I had been toying with the idea of a saltwater reef tank for the last year or 2 but only took the plunge about half a yr ago after i asked the girlfriend if she wanted a Nemo? Of course she said yes. I then used that as leverage to buy whatever i deemed necessary to start my first reef tank.

I had the tank set up next to my planted tank thinking of this great contrast between green and blue, land and sea, however the addiction, the curse, quickly grabbed a hold of me and i quickly found my self running out of room in my tank. There was only one option i could see...shutdown the planted tank :o :o
After i did i converted in into a zoa only tank filled with zoos from Oceanarium. Any time they updated their zoa page i was there to snatch up any i didn't have. Ordered from them so frequently that i think whoever delivers the packages knows my address off by heart. After a while with that setup it dawned on me that having two 2ft tanks was stupid and that i should just get 1 4ft tank. So after searching for a while i found a guy selling a 4x2x2 tank. He even agreed to drill the tank and build an overflow (which took some explaining to him) in the tank free of charge. It was an offer i couldn't pass up.
That brings us to where we are now and you are up to date on the back story. There is one problem though...my mom would probably kill me if she found out i got another tank :konk: so this upgrade and transfer of the current tank inhabitants to the new tank will all have to be done like a backyard blitz, but in this case i hope she doesn't notice the difference :wink: :crossfingers:

System Objectives: To have a mixed reef complete with zoa and euphyllia garden with a few hardy sps here and there, but not everywhere. Wanted something in my room that i could look at and unwind from the day, something to wow visitors and friends and to show my family that my addiction is worth it and that i know what I'm doing (at least make it seem that way :devil: ). Going to try to get this tank to as little maintenance as possible but not to the point of being lazy and neglect :roflmao:

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: 27/2/2014 or 6/3/2014

Display Tank: 4x2x2 10mm glass (DIY eurobrace)

Display Lighting: 1 x Maxspect Razor 160w with 120degree lens. (Might add another 160w razor if need be)

Stand: DIY pine stand in matte/gloss black

Hood: Maybe in the future once i get the design correct and materials sourced

Sump: Glass 3ft sump with DIY acrylic baffles

Support systems:

System Water: NSW to start and ASW thereafter (for now)

Display Water circulation: 2 x Tunze 6095 on Tunze 7096 multi-controller & 2 x Tunze 6010 (just because i have them)

Return Pump: Tunze Silence Water Pump 1073.050

Skimmer: Vertex Omega 150

Evaporation Top Up: Tunze 3155 Universal Osmolator

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Red Sea Foundation A

Alkilinity Addition: Red Sea Foundation B

Other Chemical Maintenance: Red Sea Foundation C

Current Water Chemistry: Not at the moment

*NOTE* please excuse the horrible Iphone pictures, hopefully in future pics i can use a better camera *NOTE*

Old tank when it was first set up

What it looked like about 1 month ago and still does now minus the zoas and plus some growth

This is the shut down planted tank after the zoas got moved over. Recently got some nice hammers from MASWA member bennyhow :thumbsup:

This here is the new tank in question. I plan on taking the center brace off seen in the 2nd photo and replacing it with a eurobrace that's using 10mm thick glass (same as tank) and is 80mm wide all around.
Bracing will be top and bottom eurobrace just so i can sleep at night :sleepy: , unless someone thinks that i shouldn't get sleep OR there is something wrong with the plan. If so please let me know :)

Comming up next pics of the sump and stand! :clap:

If you're still here thanks for reading this far. I hope i don't disappoint any one with this journal hahaha. Will try to be picture heavy in this journal as much as i can as i know how you reefers love pics (even bad ones) :laugh:

Martin
Last edited by Raven on Thu 26 Mar, 2015 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven's 4x2x2 Coral Garden (Shut Down)
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Re: Raven's upgrade 4x2x2 coral garden

Postby Raven » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 3:23 am

Well that was a long first post.

The first thing i got to designing was the sump and then the stand but we will start with the sump first.

I researched a lot about sump designs and which ones i liked best, even checking out what professional companies did to build their sumps. After all that research i mixed and match components, adding and removing areas whilst trying to maximize the room needed for equipment IE. skimmer. In the end i went with a similar almost the same design that i saw on another forum that came up during a Google search. I realise by now the design is nothing new and i believe many people use it now. I (with much frustration) drew up what i thought i wanted in Google SketchUp.

at first i liked it but then i wanted to add a refugium, i soon found out after doing some math and measurements that my 3ft sump tank would be a bit cramped if i was to add one with the current design and so i went to redesign it. In the end i came up with a compromise, not a dedicated fuge but a small section to have Seachem Matrix or Miracle Mud or whatever my mind can come up with.
I was able to get some Dow Corning 795 which i read was great for attaching acrylic to glass and with that headed over to my brothers to cut up some acrylic and glue them into the glass tank. After about 2 weeks we ended up with something that looked like this

Now even though silicone doesn't bond well to acrylic i can tell you those baffles are going to take some effort to rip out unless you use a razor. That being said hopefully those baffles hold :crossfingers: .
Basically pvc pipes will be threaded through the holes/holder on the right and the water will enter into that closed chamber. The water will then be forced up and over the baffle and down into the 2 x 4" filter socks. The water will then travel under the next baffle, in the event that the socks happen to clog there is a cutout to allow the water to flow over the baffle. The next section is the skimmer and will house the Vertex Omega 150 with what I'm anticipating is going to have about 5cm of wiggle room. The following baffles are set at about 8-9cm which is the optimal level for the Omega, hope it works. After that is the small section that will possibly hold the Mud or Matrix or both! You can't see in the pics but i drilled holes into the battle between the "fuge" and skimmer section to have flow pass through it rather than over it. The next few baffles are the bubble traps but i made one side wide enough in case i wanted to place a bag of Purigen or Chemipure in there. Finally the return section which i wish was a tad bit bigger but oh wells. I realise in this hobby we always want bigger :tongue:

Unfortunately the DC 795 silicone only came in black hence why you can see the dodgy silicone job. Knowing that silicone doesn't bond to acrylic i really used a lot hahaha. They say "don't worry no one will see the sump", but i will hence why i had to clean it up. So how do you clean up a job like this a part from ripping it out and starting again?

Why we paint the lines black of course!

Bad angle i know i will get a better picture of it soon when i can make it to my brothers house.

There you have it folks my DIY glass/acrylic sump. Everything in this journal will be a first for me so I'm a bit anxious on how everything will turn out. Especially the DIY stuff hahaha.

Next up the tanky tank stand for the tank! tank tank tank tank...
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Raven's upgrade 4x2x2 coral garden

Postby Raven » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 10:48 am

Ahh its been a long time since i last updated this. Been a long couple of weeks...

Since my last update the tank is now wet and everything has been transferred over. However I'll update this journal with the events leading up to that :)

To the stand. After some research on what would be best i decided on going with a timber stand due to my brother having the tools to do so.
The stand was a tad longer than the tank. So that i could add a lip around the bottom of the tank.

I opted for no centre leg for ease of access to the sump.

All in all it turned out pretty well. Whole stand probably only cost $~200 for all the materials.

Really happy with how it turned out. Front doors are flush and neat. Its since been painted a gloss black to match my rooms decor.
Only problems i had were with the door hinges as they weren't strong enough for the weight of the doors causing the doors to sag towards the centre.

Here is a shot of what was going through my mind when i was designing the stand.
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Raven » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 11:25 am

As described in my first post, I'll be doing a diy eurobrace on my tank. After calling around most builders said they would usually do100mm around with 12mm glass and thats to be over engineered. In the end i opted for 80mm around with 10mm glass. Braced top and bottom to compensate for the reduce width and thickness.

Sorry i don't have many pictures of the building as i was alone and had to work quick in the heat hahaha.

Taking off the centre brace took about an hour. Just kept tapping in razors will the majority of silicone was cut loose and pop!

I also cut the silicone seal on the inside of the tank so that the new glass would sit flush up against the panels. Again some razors blades did the trick. Cleaning up any residue with the spirits.

I got some clamps just in case the removal of the centre brace caused the tank to bow or whatever and then start to silicone in the glass.
Lucky for me the tank had glass shelves that were used to hold glass lids. I siliconed the brace to this glass and used them to hold the top bracing up by clamping them together. In the end it was as if i had a solid 15mm thick glass euro brace. :)

I made the side pieces of glass over lap the front and back pieces to provide more surface area for the silicone, rather than having them go flush against each other allowing for silicone only along the 10mm edge.
After all pieces were in i resealed the inner side of the tank.

Before

After
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Raven » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 2:16 pm

The tank was moved in on 27/2, a Thursday.

I had to transfer all my current stock to holding containers while we moved the new tank and stand in place. That thing is heavy...the only people free on the day was my brother and my girlfriend. However my brother had to leave shortly after delivering the tank and stand. It was up to my girlfriend and i to push the whole thing into place. After getting the foam and tank aligned we push the whole thing a bit at a time, thank god for tiles. If my floor was carpet then forget about the tank going anywhere.

So many things went wrong even with all the planning. Felt a bit like the show tanked or something. So much drama.
First i ran out of plumbing fittings and pipe (thought i had enough). Then Bunnings sold out of the fittings i needed so had do a little driving and searching.
There wasn't enough water and then i ran out of salt to make some up.
While heap of problems...i expected some but this move was indeed stressful. In the end i couldn't get the live stock into the new tank so had to clean one of the smaller tanks and set it up with a small powerhead and heater over night.
The next day the tank was finished, filled and equipment. Once water heat was stable i transferred the live stock over.

Took about a day or two till everyone was acting normal again. All corals with polyps extended and the clowns hosting the torch coral again

Picture taken with iphone panorama

Only losses i had was 1 head of a green fluro hammer, 2 heads of my purple hammer and a bunch of snails.
The hammers are doing fine bow though. Still have a head on them each. :)
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby millotoli » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 9:24 pm

Hey mate.
Tank is looking good.
Some nice D.I.Y work as well.
Big difference between two small 2 ft tanks and one 4 by 2 tank.

Ollie
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Raven » Thu 06 Mar, 2014 6:17 pm

millotoli wrote:Hey mate.
Tank is looking good.
Some nice D.I.Y work as well.
Big difference between two small 2 ft tanks and one 4 by 2 tank.

Ollie

Thanks Ollie!
Indeed big difference. Now i only have to run half the equipment and only have to test one tank :). Params stay stable as well.

Since the last picture uploaded was taken i've since added in another rock for my zoa garden

Will possibly add another rock for more zoas to come.

And here's a shot of my euphyllia garden with my host torch coral

FTS

Pictures still being taken via Iphone 5 till i can afford a better camera supporting RAW.
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby chromus » Thu 06 Mar, 2014 6:26 pm

If you buy Apples "iPhoto" app ($5 i think) it has the ability to adjust white balance.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11972
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Raven » Thu 06 Mar, 2014 6:30 pm

Yes! Thanks chromus!
Been looking for a good camera app. Been using camera+ and VSCOcam. But neither really do what i wanted them to in regards to white balance.
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby nudibranch » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 3:01 pm

I like how you've set up the zoo's with a lot of contours, when they grow that should look very nice. I wonder how long it takes a zoo garden like that to fill in ? Will be following along.

Great photos of all your DIY as well. Have you checked the front horizontal brace for any bowing now the water is all in and its had time to sit a little bit ?

Also, if you do have any success with any iphone photo apps I'd be interested to know. ':-)

Cheers, Paul.
nudibranch
Centurion Reefer

Postby Raven » Wed 12 Mar, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks for the kind words paul. Been meaning to update this but been so busy i hardly get time with my tank :(
Yeah I'm looking forward to my zoo garden growing out. Those frags are about 3 months old so it'll take some time but they all started off at 5-7 polyps each.
The stand has a slight bow at the front horizontal brace. But looks like it'll hold. Just the doors bow scrape against the frame so will need to modify those.

In regards to apps. iPhoto has great white balance feature but still find that i really need to turn my whites up and blues down for decent pics. Another app would be VSCOcam. That has some good editing features.
Will post an update on my equipment when i can soon :)
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Raven » Sun 16 Mar, 2014 2:29 am

Hi everyone,

BIG UPDATE!
Been super busy so didn't have time for updates really but there have been a few new additions since last time.
First I'll start off with how the equipment I'm using is going just in case anyone is thinking about these items.

Skimmer: Vertex Omega 150
This thing is awesome! After letting it break in for 24hrs as per instructions this thing started making dark brown-black skimmate within a day. After two days i had about 2cm of skimmate in the cup. Very happy with this purchase and am thinking about getting the vectra self cleaning head for it.

Return pump: Tunze silence Electronic
Having a controllable pump is so much easier than having to size it for your overflow. This thing is so silent that i can hardly hear it when I'm working on the sump in the cabinet. The skimmer drowns it out. works like a charm. Only hope is that Tunze make a bigger one.

Flow: Tunze 6095 x2 on controller 7096
As silent as everyone says they are. The only time i heard them was when one of the cables was vibrating against the back of the tank. The controller works wonders though it was a slight annoyance getting it to connect to the PC. I don't know why, could be my system as most people have no complaints where as some do.

Lighting: Maxspect 160w Razor
I bought this light for my 2ft tank and when i upgraded i was scared it wasn't going to light up the 4ft tank without having dark ends on either side of the tank. Emailing maxspect about the 120 degree lenses to see if they would help and they said it should work but weren't entirely sure. With the new 120 degree optics i can tell you now it does indeed light up the whole tank. Granted its not as an intense light but the corals seem to be responding well to it positively. My only gripe is that it make the tank look a little washed out so i am currently experimenting with supplementing the maxspect with t5's. In a way I guess I'm creating a diy ATI Powermodule hybrid :roflmao:

I have to give a shout out to Notsomots for the sweet power board. I've been looking for these in australia since seeing them on some of the american tanks. Am very happy with this and great design my mots. especially with the universal plugs :)

Now for inside the tank!
I have added a redline cleaner shrimp and a blue tang to the tank from fellow WA reefer bennyhow who downgraded his tank. Also a mandarin from SuperSS tank shutdown. I'm in the midst of training him to eat prepared food some wish me well :crossfingers: :crossfingers:. Every now and then he'll eat a pellet but spit it out so I'm going to take that as a good sign than he'll eventually accept them.
The only fish left on my list are:
two firefish gobys
yellow goby
yellow tang (maybe)
another redline cleaner

That would be it for now. Hoping i can keep the yellow and blue tang together :crossfingers: I was offered a purple tang but heard they can be aggressive so i decided not to on that one even though they are a beautiful fish.
Coral wise i purchased a Zoa pack of zeason99, i believe they are red santa, red sparkle, tutti fruitti and watermills. I wasn't sure they would make it considering express postage takes two days but the zoas are a hardy bunch, even surviving some pretty hot water after being left outside the house for a few hrs. I'd have to guess the water was close to the 32-33 mark. All frags made it, the red sparkles took the longest to open but eventually did. Some polyps fell off too which i thought were dead but i found them opened up scattered around the tanks sand so i don't know :nut:.
Bought a turquoise zoa rock from ocean reefs aquariums today and i have to say those colours! I have not seen anything like them sold in Aus yet so i had to snatch those up before anyone else did :-D . also got a blue tip/maybe purple acro. Hoping it will do well in my tank. Trying to fill the tank now with more SPS corals and get some serious colour in here. Thinking about running biopellets soon and see how that goes and maybe somewhere down the line dabble in some zeo when i have the funds and time to comfortably spare.

Recently purchases a DSLR camera, but not for the tank! It was for a university photography unit and i thought hey why not get two birds with one stone. The pictures aren't the best still as I'm still learning the ins and outs of this camera stuff. Photoshop I'm alright with, photography well... :konk: :wall:
Pictures!

Euphyllia Garden
Daisy
Candy Cane (started with two and its splitting into what seems liek 6 new heads :-D )
Green Poccy
Blue/purple Acro
Turquoise Zoa
Zoa garden
FTS

Thanks for taking a look everyone! Till next time.

Martin
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Raven » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 9:03 pm

Well its been awhile since i last updated. A lot has changed since then as i tinker with the tank.
I've since added 2x54w t5's to the tank, 1x ATI blue plus and 1x ATI purple plus. Tank colour is looking way better now that there's some more red in it. I am about to add another 2x54w t5 unit and thinking il go 1x ATi coral light and 1x blue plus at the front. So my lighting will now be from the front to back
blue plus
coral light
maxspect white + blue
purple plus
blue plus
I'll see how that goes for now but was wondering if anyone else had a better bulb combo they think i should do. I like the blue look rather than the white look.

since the last update i've since added a royal gramma, purple firefish and 2x chromis thanks to choppa :thumbsup:
they've all settled in nicely and playing along with everyone aside from the firefish who tends to hide all day and come out only during feeding. Maybe the flow of the tank was too much for him so i since turned down the pumps a little to see if that will coax him to come out more.
Mandarin is doing fine :clap: :clap: been eating alot of pods and looks fat so I'm relieved about that. Didn't think there be enough pods in the tank for him but one day boom they were everywhere on my tank glass.

I picked up a few frags from the maswa meet the other day at dave's (stormtropper)

one being this pink lemonade

and a super green dallas frag from Acro Al

Other pieces are these two new zoa pieces to add to the garden from Fragalicious who i have to say have awesome customer service not to mention really good looking stock.

and this ric i got from choppa when i picked up the fish. Not crazy like the other rics you see going around but i wanted to see how one would go in my system.

Just ordered a jns alpha2 biopellet reactor and waiting for that to come in. Going to mod it according to Meller's design so as to make it a recirculating reactor. Aside from that purchase i also got an algae free piranha magnet cleaner and scraper and man oh man does this thing do the job.I'm glad i chose the piranha over the hammer head as my glass is 10mm so rated for the piranha but its still powerful as ever. I have to move slowly just to make sure it does jerk along.
Other than that haven't had many problems so far besides some zoa's dying off all of a sudden. Just a few types that were on some frag rocks. Weird though as the others seem fine so idk what's going on. Could possibly be that my nitrates are a bit high, though I'm working on lowering them down slowly. Hopefully when the reactor gets here it can do its thing :)
That's all for now till there's a need for an update so here's some pics to take this post out on. :wavey:

This piece i used in my photography class :pirate:

FTS
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby NewyReefer » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 9:11 pm

:clap: well done on the build looks great. Awesome color in your SPS to everything is looking very happy :thumbsup:
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Raven » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 9:16 pm

NewyReefer wrote::clap: well done on the build looks great. Awesome color in your SPS to everything is looking very happy :thumbsup:

Thanks Newy!:thumbsup:
This is pretty much my first time having sps corals and i guess I'm getting lucky that they aren't browning out and are happy :-D
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Choppa » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 11:51 pm

Looking great mate :thumbsup: very clean

Chop
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Raven » Fri 04 Apr, 2014 1:16 am

Choppa wrote:Looking great mate :thumbsup: very clean

Chop

Thanks chop! Your fish are doing well in the tank :-D and those morphs expanded a lot bigger than i expected. One is cheekily hiding amongst the zoos lol.
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Raven » Mon 07 Apr, 2014 1:07 am

Picked up a MP40 WES off petergriffin today, dirt cheap to :thumbsup:
thought i'd see what all the fuss is about with these pumps. So now I'm running both tunze and vortechs and i have to say i haven't noticed much difference yet. People's main complain was noise yet its quieter than my overflow and the hum of the skimmer so that there is a positive :). It's currently situated on the back wall with the tunzes on the side walls pointed towards the center. Flow seems good thus far. The main reason for putting it on the back wall was because all my sps are there and figured they'd enjoy the extra flow.
Running into a few issues lately with a few of my zoas just melting away. at the moment no idea why. I also notice some of my sps corals have a white base but thats about it. Up top towards the tips there is alot of polyp extension so i'm confused as to whether they are unhappy or if its because those areas aren't getting any light due to the upper half blocking it off...im hoping its because i add t5 lights and they haven't yet adjusted to them yet and not something to do with the high nitrates, my other levels are at or near to NSW levels besides nitrates being a high at 15ppm with an api test kit. Waiting till wednesday to buy a salifert one and test it again.
oh wells the ups and downs of reef keeping :madface:

till next time

Martin

Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby obie » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 10:51 pm

sensational tank :)
obie
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Raven » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 10:55 pm

obie wrote:sensational tank :)

Thanks for the kind words obie. Hopefully your tank works out mate. Keep that TJ posted :thumbsup:
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby obie » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:20 pm

thanks bud. i think 4x2x2 is awesome size. I just couldnt afford it right now though so best be happy with my little 128lt.
obie
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Raven » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:29 pm

128l is great to mate. Small tanks can outshine the big tanks easy :-D
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby obie » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:36 pm

I got more love for the fishies atm. I heard with tangs it should be 4ft minimum so they got plenty of swimming area.
obie
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Raven » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:51 pm

Only some tangs are 4ft minimum. The others are more than 4ft minimum. My hippo is bare minimum i know. Trying to keep her happy though and so far seems like she is
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Zeason99 » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 1:16 am

Looking really good Martin :thumbsup:
Zeason99
Veteran Reefer

Postby Raven » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 2:36 am

Zeason99 wrote:Looking really good Martin :thumbsup:

Cheers zeason. Those zoa frags going really well mate :thumbsup:
Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby bennyhow » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 2:06 am

Looks very nice Martin. I'm gonna need you to post more photos of those awesome zoos soon! :thumbsup: The hammer collection is coming across nicely too!
I wanna order some from over east for my nano but keeping an eye out for the awesome frags.
Good to see that the tangs doing well btw Did you manage to save the scolly?
Benny

Fish are friends, family... and sometimes food
bennyhow
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Raven's upgrade 4x2x2 coral garden

Postby Raven » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 5:58 am

bennyhow wrote:Looks very nice Martin. I'm gonna need you to post more photos of those awesome zoos soon! :thumbsup: The hammer collection is coming across nicely too!
I wanna order some from over east for my nano but keeping an eye out for the awesome frags.
Good to see that the tangs doing well btw Did you manage to save the scolly?

Thanks Ben! :thumbsup:
Yeah the hammers are coming along nicely, the zoas though are doing my head in at the moment hahah. Some have melted away slowly while others grow, its weird but no matter as i have some new ones coming in soon and will take some pics if they survive the ride :roflmao:
What kind of hammer colour you after?

Yeah the tang is doing great, she had a small battle with ich but after upping the feeding she fought it off that trooper. Thinking it might have been the carbon dosing that was affecting her but since stopping she's come back nicely.

Unfortunately the scolly didn't make :( . It just wouldn't eat no matter what i dangled in front of it and no feeding response at night either. It lasted about 1 month after the upgrade before the flesh slowly came off the skeleton.

!Update!
I got a JNS alpha 2 bio pellet reactor and modded according to Mellers design. i started out with about...200ml of pellets and going to add 100ml every 3 weeks.
Livestock wise i received some sps pieces from bluebays tank shut down and am waiting on a shipment of zoas from over east. Can't wait till those get here next week so i can start taking a few snaps of them.
With the increase in interest in SPS corals i've since rescaped the tank a little so that the back rocks are more visible and therefore have more real estate for frags. The scape now also facilitates my torch coral better as it was expanding so big that i was scared it was going to start touching some sps frags near it, in the long run it definitely would have ended up brushing up against my acros.
I haven't had the time for a decent picture so i guess this dodgy iphone pic will have to do

Thanks for reading as always :thumbsup:

Martin

Tank Journal
Raven
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby petergriffin » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 7:44 am

Good stuff martin, took me a while to get to this bad boy. Got some sps frags here if u want some just let me.know.
Looking good.
JOIN MASWA TODAY... I HAVE OPINIONS GET USED TO THEM, IM NOT GOING ANYWHERE!
petergriffin
Veteran Reefer

Postby bennyhow » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 11:51 am

Shame about the scolly but good to hear about the tang dude.

I'm chasing any nice zoos really. I have the red and purple people eaters and two other varieties but I'm starting from scratch for zoos. Have a look a the 'show us your zoos' post and you'll see what I used to have. Hoping to fill the nano up with zoos and rics.

Did you order from fragalicious? if not, where from? I'm mindful of shipping costs... sorry to invade your tj too... may will send you a message next time hahaha
Benny

Fish are friends, family... and sometimes food
bennyhow
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)