• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Killa's Small SPS Reef

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Killa's Small SPS Reef

Postby Narcosis » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 1:35 pm

Introduction:
Hi fellow reefers
Decided I would start a tank journal and hopefully I can update it more than once a year :konk:

This is my second attempt at a reef tank, the first one was alright but all the nuisance algae (byropsis, bubble etc) just got too much. So when my girlfriend and I recently moved into our first own home, I thought it would be a good time to empty it and start again. My brother, danthfishman, kindly looked after all of my fish and coral during the transfer. This also allowed me to design a new bigger stand which would make it easier to fit everything in and be neat and tidy.

System Objectives: What is the end result going to be? Hopefully a great SPS tank with centropyge angels

System Type: Fish only, FOWLR, Predator, SPS, Mixed Reef, Softies only, Non photosythetic Corals? SPS

Display System:

Strike up Date: 11/11/13

Display Tank: 2 x 2 x 18"

Display Lighting: 8x24w ATI Powermodule

Stand: Custom design

Hood: White crown

Sump: 2 chamber sump with an additional filter sock holder "box".

Refugium: N/A Using Bio Pellets and GFO

Refugium Lighting: N/A

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: 2 x MP10

Return Pump: Sicce Silent 3500

Skimmer: Bubble King 180

Evaporation Top Up: Tunze

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: 100% Reef Safe

Alkilinity Addition: 100% Reef Safe

Other Chemical Maintenance: N/A atm

Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates: 0pm
Phosphates: 0.03pm
Alkalinity: 6.7pm
Calcium: 395pm
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.026
Magnesuim: N/A

I have to get some recent shots uploaded, and some shots "under the hood" so to speak.

Cheers and thanks for looking :thumbsup:
Narcosis
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Re: Killa's Small SPS Reef

Postby Narcosis » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 2:08 pm

Just an early FTS

Cheers :thumbsup:
Narcosis
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Wakareefer » Wed 18 Dec, 2013 7:08 pm

Awesome looking setup mate.
Wakareefer
Centurion Reefer

Postby Narcosis » Thu 19 Dec, 2013 1:04 pm

Cheers mate!

Its now covered in hair algae tho :(

Here are some quick shots taken this morning showing the sump and electrical cabinet.
Bloody dosing container were too big, didn't check the height until after I had ordered them...
Switches & Controllers
Sump/Skimmer
Everything
Filter Sock Holder/Overflow

FTS

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:
Narcosis
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Narcosis » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 4:02 pm

Just a small update

Still battling hair algae. My phosphates are testing 0.00 so I assume that it is leaching from the rocks and the hair algae is consuming it before I can test for it if that makes sense.

I have eased back on the feeding and changing my Rowas to try to get all the phosphate out. My frags have paled up a bit and lost a bit of colour. Figured once I get on top of the hair algae then I can start worring about colour.

The frags have encrusted nicely tho and my alk consumption has gone up a bit so hopefully I am on the right track.

FTS from last night

Couple closeups of the colourless frags

My current inhabitants are

2 x Golden Angels
2 x Yellow Gobies
1 x Bimac anthia
1 x Stromb Snail

Narcosis
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Ben S » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 5:37 pm

Very neat looking tank there :)

I really like it. Your right about the colours. Close off the P04 and the colours will return. The fact they are encrusting is a good sign and judging from the polp extension as well.

Ben
Ben S
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Mr Miagi » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 7:11 pm

Get some herbivores. You can pick them out once things like corralline algae has outcompeted the HA. :thumbsup:
--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby Jamess » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 8:04 pm

Is the background of your tank white?

Either way I like the look of it all overall.

Hope your algae clears. Was your LR new or 2nd hand? Was it from a previous tank? I suspect you're right regarding phosphates leeching out from the rock, but apart from algae eaters/manual removal, what can you do? Remove the rock and soak it in RO?
James' 4x2x2 Decommissioned and recycled to make....

950x600x450 LED Study Escape
Jamess
Veteran Reefer

Postby jayellul » Mon 06 Jan, 2014 8:42 pm

Cool tank!

Tagging along
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Narcosis » Tue 07 Jan, 2014 5:06 pm

Ben S wrote:Very neat looking tank there :)

I really like it. Your right about the colours. Close off the P04 and the colours will return. The fact they are encrusting is a good sign and judging from the polp extension as well.

Ben

Cheers Ben

:crossfingers: about the colours returning. Once the hair algae goes and phosphates still test nil, then I can start feeding more. Thats the plan anyway.

Mr Miagi wrote:Get some herbivores. You can pick them out once things like corralline algae has outcompeted the HA. :thumbsup:

Going to pick up some turbo's this week from vebas, and the gf wants a lawn mower blenny so keeping an eye out for one of those. Any others? Not so keen on hermit crabs... Noticed my stromb cleaning up the rock over the past two days, hope that continues coz he has made a couple spots, well, spotless!

Jamess wrote:Is the background of your tank whi

Either way I like the look of it all overall.

Hope your algae clears. Was your LR new or 2nd hand? Was it from a previous tank? I suspect you're right regarding phosphates leeching out from the rock, but apart from algae eaters/manual removal, what can you do? Remove the rock and soak it in RO?

Thanks James, glad you like the look! Nah no white background, just pale blue...

I bought the rock dry from a LFS and seeded it with my sand from my previous tank. The rock from the previous tank was covered in undesirable algae (bloody bubble algae!) and apistasia. I had good intentions of checking the phosphate and running GFO to make sure it was all cleared before I put it in the tank, but I got lazy... :sleeper: Don't really want to take it out now as the frags have just encrusted etc. It will come out in good time I think, just need to keep up with changing the ROWAS. :-D

Narcosis
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby NewyReefer » Tue 07 Jan, 2014 7:00 pm

Fantastic tank mate, SPS are still looking happy tho with good PE

have you tried to keep manually removing it, i have found that to help knock it out just to pull and siphon it everytime you do a waterchange. And another thing that worked for me was bringing the alk up to 8-9dkh(unsure what yours it at tho).

Looks good also tagging along :thumbsup:
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Narcosis » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 5:28 pm

NewyReefer wrote:Fantastic tank mate, SPS are still looking happy tho with good PE

have you tried to keep manually removing it, i have found that to help knock it out just to pull and siphon it everytime you do a waterchange. And another thing that worked for me was bringing the alk up to 8-9dkh(unsure what yours it at tho).

Looks good also tagging along :thumbsup:

Cheers NewyReefer, yeah polyp extension is good, well at night anyway when the angels have gone to bed! Little buggers :devil:

Yeah every water change I scrub the rocks with a toothbrush then I syphon it all out. Bit messy tho as I end up with bits of hair algae everywhere. Planning on a "spring clean" this weekend, I will take the rock out of the tank and give it a good scrub. There are only three pieces of rock in there so wont be a big deal re aquascaping etc.

Bit hesitant to raise the alk. It is currently 7.3 which matches my NSW and heard bad things about running bio pellets with high alk. Maybe something I try down the track when nothing else works...

Cheers and thanks for looking!

:thumbsup:
Narcosis
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Mr Miagi » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 9:33 pm

Going to pick up some turbo's this week from vebas, and the gf wants a lawn mower blenny so keeping an eye out for one of those. Any others? Not so keen on hermit crabs... Noticed my stromb cleaning up the rock over the past two days, hope that continues coz he has made a couple spots, well, spotless!

Yeah every water change I scrub the rocks with a toothbrush then I syphon it all out. Bit messy tho as I end up with bits of hair algae everywhere. Planning on a "spring clean" this weekend, I will take the rock out of the tank and give it a good scrub. There are only three pieces of rock in there so wont be a big deal re aquascaping etc.

Dont clean the rock until you have let your little herbivores munch away for a good few weeks, and then you shouldn't have to take anything out! Your just going to set the maturity phase back a step and disrupt all your coral negatively by removing the rock work and rescaping etc. It is such a tremendous shock to what lives in the live rock, and the inhabitants of your tank, its really not worth it! Just leave it be! Its all natural, you will just need patience and some good clean up crew to do the job for you. If you let them do the work, you wont be disturbing the tank and its maturation. Manually removing such algae is futile, considering you wont be removing their holdfasts (what they hold onto the rock with). What you will notice, over time, is a series of successions, where the algae are grazed by your herbivores, then coral you place will shade the rock it normally grows on, and the "free real estate" algae once used is over run by other organisms (including such things as corralline algae). Its a concept which has been well studied in nature. We have tended to forget it happens in our aquaria too!

--Cheers, Benny
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby jayellul » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 9:55 pm

Mr Miagi wrote:

Dont clean the rock until you have let your little herbivores munch away for a good few weeks, and then you shouldn't have to take anything out! Your just going to set the maturity phase back a step and disrupt all your coral negatively by removing the rock work and rescaping etc. It is such a tremendous shock to what lives in the live rock, and the inhabitants of your tank, its really not worth it! Just leave it be! Its all natural, you will just need patience and some good clean up crew to do the job for you. If you let them do the work, you wont be disturbing the tank and its maturation. Manually removing such algae is futile, considering you wont be removing their holdfasts (what they hold onto the rock with). What you will notice, over time, is a series of successions, where the algae are grazed by your herbivores, then coral you place will shade the rock it normally grows on, and the "free real estate" algae once used is over run by other organisms (including such things as corralline algae). Its a concept which has been well studied in nature. We have tended to forget it happens in our aquaria too!

:withyou:

I wouldn't take the rock out either. You can run slightly higher magnesium to help with hair algae but herbivores will do the best job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby siddr20 » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 10:59 am

Its still a new tank so dont play with it too much. Let the tank be as is for a good couple more months.
siddr20
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Narcosis » Thu 09 Jan, 2014 2:26 pm

Mr Miagi wrote:Dont clean the rock until you have let your little herbivores munch away for a good few weeks, and then you shouldn't have to take anything out! Your just going to set the maturity phase back a step and disrupt all your coral negatively by removing the rock work and rescaping etc. It is such a tremendous shock to what lives in the live rock, and the inhabitants of your tank, its really not worth it! Just leave it be! Its all natural, you will just need patience and some good clean up crew to do the job for you. If you let them do the work, you wont be disturbing the tank and its maturation. Manually removing such algae is futile, considering you wont be removing their holdfasts (what they hold onto the rock with). What you will notice, over time, is a series of successions, where the algae are grazed by your herbivores, then coral you place will shade the rock it normally grows on, and the "free real estate" algae once used is over run by other organisms (including such things as corralline algae). Its a concept which has been well studied in nature. We have tended to forget it happens in our aquaria too!

jayellul wrote:I wouldn't take the rock out either. You can run slightly higher magnesium to help with hair algae but herbivores will do the best job.

siddr20 wrote:Its still a new tank so dont play with it too much. Let the tank be as is for a good couple more months.

Ok guys, sounds like a good plan. Just let it be I guess. Just looks so ugly!

In some good news, my Golden Angels started courting last night! :-x :clap:

No spawn tho but it will be good to watch from now on. So I have two pairs now potentially producing eggs, my yellow gobies have laid a couple batches on one of my frags. :pirate:

Narcosis
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Narcosis » Fri 17 Jan, 2014 7:28 pm

Friday FTS!!

Tank is going better this week. Snails I got from Vebas are taking down some of the algae, but the stromb smashes through the stuff. I move him up on the rocks every now and then and he chows it down! :thumbsup:

Will try to get some video of my angels doing there thing :-x this weekend.

Narcosis
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby NewyReefer » Fri 17 Jan, 2014 8:25 pm

Looking heaps better mate, I have a stromb aswell he is a machine...
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Narcosis » Tue 11 Feb, 2014 1:11 pm

Update time

I was lucky enough to get chiller for Christmas from my girlfriend. There was a bit of a "mix up" with the OLFS, but in the end it was finally delivered on Friday. With the previous hot weather we have been having, my tank was getting above 30c and quite a few occasions so I was pretty stoked to finally get it.

I spent most of Saturday redoing my plumbing, drilling a couple holes in the wall, and now my tank is sitting at a chilly 25c... My ATC is set at 25c so the fans kick on at 26c and the chiller is set to kick in when the temp hits 27c. Just so happens when I finally get a chiller, the temps in Perth are pretty mild....

The algae has all gone so pretty happy about that. Looking back man it was not pretty, but it looks like my corals had heaps better colour! Still struggling on that front. My dallas frag is on its last legs and everything else just looks really pale. I have pretty much lost one colony, a freebe I saved from Vebas live rock bin. Why do corals go from brown straight to pale? Shouldn't there be a colourful stage?? :roflmao:

Anyway here is a FTS (with my phone) and a couple of side shots

FTS - 2/2/14

LHS

RHS

Here are some growth shots of one of my "blue" stags. I say blue because that's what colour it is supposed to be!

19/12/13

Here it is on 2/2/14.
Not bad for 6 weeks!

Narcosis
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby jayellul » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 6:24 pm

looking good to me mate!
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 7:11 pm

:withyou: looking great excellent growth...

I just bought a 24x24x18 aswell love the way yours looks and is setup cant wait to get mine going...
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby millotoli » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 10:27 pm

Hey mate.
That really is a very good looking set up, the stand... the shape of the tank.. the light. :thumbsup:
i might have to do something similar just to have a nice piece of furniture in my house! maybe at the end of the bed.
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Narcosis » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 6:04 pm

jayellul wrote:looking good to me mate!

Cheers Jay :)

NewyReefer wrote::withyou: looking great excellent growth...

I just bought a 24x24x18 aswell love the way yours looks and is setup cant wait to get mine going...

Thanks mate

I like the look of your new build! Wish I had an external overflow box. Gives the tank heaps more room for corals. I found it really hard to fit everything under my old stand, but looks like you have got a design that will fit! Will follow closely...

millotoli wrote:Hey mate.
That really is a very good looking set up, the stand... the shape of the tank.. the light. :thumbsup:
i might have to do something similar just to have a nice piece of furniture in my house! maybe at the end of the bed.

Cheers millotoli!

Yeah really happy with the way it looks, I wanted it to look like it was a piece of furniture, with just a tank thrown on top and I think I came pretty close.

Started to finally see a bit of color in some of the SPS which is very encouraging. The tank has hit the three month mark so strating to mature a bit and I have also been feeding them 3 times a week with aminos and reef roids. Seems to be doing the trick. I haven't done a water change in 3 weeks (normally 20% a week) so not sure if that is a good or bad thing as it is looking better. Doing a big water change tomorrow, we will see if that makes the tank better or worse!

Picked up a few new pieces from Vebas very late on Sunday, just the scraps which nobody wanted :roflmao: A nice milli that has lost its colour and a blue tipped acro. Also grabbed a very brown colony out of the live rock bin that has a cool growth formation. I think I will frag them and give the rest to my bro. Not much room for full colonies.

Always look forward to seeing what colour the brown ones turn out, odds are it will be green!

Took a whole stack of photos last night on the DSLR, will see if any turned out and post up any good ones. Here is a crappy one of my bimac anthia off the phone

Thanks for looking! :thumbsup:
Narcosis
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby NewyReefer » Sat 22 Feb, 2014 12:58 pm

i will be watching yours to mate :thumbsup:

Now where are these pics!!!!!
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby jayellul » Sat 22 Feb, 2014 5:47 pm

NewyReefer wrote:i will be watching yours to mate :thumbsup:

Now where are these pics!!!!!

:withyou:
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Narcosis » Sun 02 Mar, 2014 10:18 pm

Vebas received a pretty awesome shipment of fish this week (including a tiny black tang, cortez angels, french angels) so I managed to get a couple more bi mac anthias so three in total now. Also picked up a cool bi colour blenny. Tank looks much more "full" now. Also removed some of the larger SPS and glued some new frags. All are still pretty brown. Phosphates tested .03 so tests ok but think I should change my rowas anyway. Alk climed up to 8.6 so slowly dropping that back down to 7.3

Long weekend this weekend in WA so had a bit off time today to go through the photos and clean the tank.

As they say, better late than never, here are some photos
Tank and bench as a whole

FTS 02/03/14

One of the new Bi Mac Anthia's

New Bi Colour Blenny

New Brown Frag

Largest Bi Mac (Old one)

Bi Mac's

Another FTS

My large Golden Angel

Narcosis
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby jayellul » Sun 02 Mar, 2014 10:29 pm

Coming along nicely :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby ssscuz » Mon 03 Mar, 2014 12:30 pm

Tanks looking good mate.
How do u find the bimacs? Where did u get them from? Interested in getting a few in Vic
ssscuz
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby danfishman » Tue 04 Mar, 2014 1:07 am

This is a fts from Saturday I took! Tank is def getting there and maturing nicely!! Bi Macs are looking nice !
danfishman
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Narcosis » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 2:12 pm

jayellul wrote:Coming along nicely :-)

Thanks Jay. Tanks looks much better after cleaning the back pane. Just with I could start to see some better colours in my SPS!

ssscuz wrote:Tanks looking good mate.
How do u find the bimacs? Where did u get them from? Interested in getting a few in Vic

Cheers!

Got the Bi macs from LFS's here in Perth. The largest one is quite bossy, specially towards to new fish but it has definitely been getting a bit mellower. Going to be cool to watch it change into a male!
Narcosis
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)