• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Kirsty's 5x2x2 ZEOvit SPS Dominant (Photo Intensive) Reef

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Kirsty's 5x2x2 ZEOvit SPS Dominant (Photo Intensive) Reef

Postby KirTracid » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 5:39 am

The Next Chapter In My Reefing Journey: 3 Month Old Zeovit Reef

Introduction:

So I've had many tanks in the past & some of you guys may even remember me from way back then. This is my 5th or so system, although I'm just resetting up my previous tank as unfortunately I only had it established for a few short months before I was forced to move house twice in a few months. The second move went really badly (as it does when you move SPS tanks twice in a short period of time) & the house wasn't suitable for a tank, so I threw in the towel, just so frustrated with it all.
It's amazing how quickly things can go downhill in a reef tank.

So I'm back to try my hand again at these finicky biatches known as SPS & I haven't wanted to jinx anything by starting a TJ until now.

So far, so good. This tank is quickly becoming my most successful to date & at only 3 months old I'm elated. Tank has been supporting SPS since day 1 (not that I put it in, they just started appearing on the liverock & are all still with me today.

System Type:
SPS dominated reef with some nice zoas, maybe 1-2 choice LPS if my majestic angel will allow it & a 40cm (and growing) Maxima clam my angel miraculously doesn't eat!
Minimalist, low aquascape for maximum coral growth & visual appeal. Running full Zeovit method as its just plain awesome.

Display System:
5x2x2 (however many litres that is) All I know is it's around 730 litres all up accounting for water displacement from the liverock & the very full sump & external skimmer

Strike up Date:
Approx July 2013 (would have to check my logbook to know for sure)

Display Tank:
Custom 150cmx60x60 (l w h)
Right side overflow with syphon & durso setup

First stock addition after Zeovit 14 day cycle

Aquascape:
I originally was going to drill base rock & insert acrylic rods, but after fearing I would crack rocks or struggle to get all the way through I opted to use Hydraulic cement (brand name: Watercrete - Quick Set, Bunnings) & came up with a bommie I was SOOOO happy with... Until my stepson knocked it over & broke it, while attempting to use it as a foot rest :wall: :konk: :furious: <----- That was me when that happened. I do have original photos though before I had to rebuild (which never looks the same just stacking rocks, let alone finding areas to cement together whilst already covered in cement. Unfortunately I had to use heaps more cement than I would've liked & it's taking awhile to look like the actual live rock pieces I've used. Oh well, patience is a virtue!

(Same piece, 2 seperate views)

Display Lighting:
ATI Hybrid Powermodule 8x54w T5 + 3x75w LED modules (Currently only running the led modules as I don't have enough t5s to run the ballast) Was hoping to light up 2 at a time to not burn everything, but ATI didn't like that idea.

Stand:
White wooden cabinet (If you've been to Williamstown aquarium I literally have the miniature version of their display tank except I don't use the hood anymore.) I would've liked a taller cabinet, but this is my rental property tank & I will build my dream tank when my fiancée & I buy a house.

Sump:

120x45x45 - 3 Chambers, 2 will eventually be for frags. Currently I am running a fuge with some macro for my stepson's tank & to help to increase my already exploding copepod population. Also have a female clown who is awaiting admission to my stepson's nano. First section contains a dedicated skimmer supply pump for the external skimmer, last section houses the zeo reactor & return pump.

Support systems:

Tank Control Panel - Contains electrics, Profilux II, Controllers for pumps, ATI transformer, food/zeovit/fragging storage.

System Water:
Artificial Salt Water only. Did use NSW, but found it unreliable & nutrient laden. Plus I'm just not built for carrying water, hate to say it.

Display Water circulation:
Vortech MP40W x 2 (although one is getting a controller repair) so I'm using a 12,000lph JVC & Seio as a temporary measure until I get my Vortech back, or buy a Jeabo WP40 (depends how long I can hang out.)

Return Pump:
RLSS DC12000 (throttled to around 5000lph.)

Skimmer:

Crappy Guppys MS Sources 1800-E which I'm using as my Vertex Alpha skimmer doesn't fit in my sump & I have no tank room at this house so it has to look nice (It used to run in a big black tub) Ghetto but effective. Damn I miss that skimmer (although I kept it for the eventual upgrade) Love it so much I'd never part with it (and a few of you guys tried to get it too when I 'left' the hobby lmao)

Evaporation Top Up:
Manual RODI water, although I do need to invest in a Tunze shortly. I honestly don't find manual topping up too bad, got a good schedule & a well trained family. :talker:

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition:
DIY 2 Part. Randy's Recipe 1.
I have a Profilux dosing pump, just haven't set it up yet.
I should for stability, but I've been really enjoying getting hands on with this new tank (I work nightshift, so someone is home basically all the time.)

Other Chemical Maintenance:
Before starting I soaked base rock in Lanthanum Chloride for approx a month as I had stored my liverock in a plastic garbage bin prior to moving not realising the plastic leeched mega phosphates. I really wanted to use some of the rock due to the shapes.
KZ Zeovit - Grotech Zeo Reactor - Basic 4 although I've started adding Coral Vitaliser & Sponge Power now the nutrients are coming down. Will add more supplements down the track as neccesary.
I'm still using zeovit products that apparently expired in 2010, which have all proven to be fine, other than the Amino Acids, which STUNK. Back in the day I bought a lot in bulk from the US & unfortunately never got to use some of them at all, so hopefully this time I will have better luck.

Quarantine System

Simple but effective, bottom tank is an observation tank, left tank is a hospital tank incase treatment is neccessary, pico is plumbed to the bottom tank just in case I need it (although I haven't yet) Thinking I will turn it into a shrimp tank as soon as I've finished stocking.

Current Water Chemistry:
pH:8+ ish... I never check it as when my PH probe worked it never dropped below 8.
Nitrite:0
Nitrates: .5
Phosphates: 0.03
Alkalinity: 123ppm
Calcium: 400 ppm
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.025
Magnesuim: 1350

PICTURES!!

NOW... I'll stop wasting your time as I know all you guys want to see are the pictures. Unfortunately I'm still getting over the learning curve of photographing under LEDs, & have not bought a new DSLR in 8 years, so they're not bad considering. ;)

My sexy fluro green scrolling Monti Cap.

In it's full glory. I bought this completely browned out, though I thought it had potential with it's green polyps. Could also tell it was a proper cap & not just a plating monti. Really want true red & purple caps to swirl around it.

A couple of corals on my middle bommie (fluro yellow/green birdsnest, Tricolor valida, pink stylo with fluro green base, blurry pink/purple millie)

Purple table acro

Bright green/yellowish thin branched acro

Forest Fire Montipora. First coral I actually bought for this tank after the Zeo 14 day cycle. It didn't look like this though, was totally browned out, but with a tiny hint of green with nice red polyps. I knew what it was straight away. It's already taking over, so I'm too scared to stick the actual colony down. lol I'll have to find the original photo when I do a before/after in a few months.

Bought these next 2 on the weekend so doubting they will stay quite this pastel, but they both definitely have potential:
I really can't capture the color of this through LEDs. It's a light pink/purple color.

Nice little smoothed skin acro with light blue polyps (love this piece)

My full frag rack, looking ugly & creating a distraction. Sump frag tank will soon be live.

GORGEOUS Red Sparkle Zoas, pics just don't do them justic. Can't wait till these babies grow out.

Cool Zoas - Tutti Fruity (pic doesn't do justic, they're awesome), Eagle Eyes, Pinks & nameless ones which are real sexy.

Red with white centres & pink sparkles (from Nam @ UCA)

UCA Gorilla Nipples - Just can't get a good pic of these. They're sort of teal with a light pink centre. Very trippy.

Blue rim Eagle Eyes

It's Hammer Time! My one & only LPS given to me by Mick (Indyana1 when his sump cracked.) My family really like this piece.

Approx 40cm T. Maxima clam, also from Mick, originally started in Jason Angel's tank. This big girl has been passed around a bit. Whatta skank! I'm going to see how big it gets, at least until I run out of real estate =)

Purple plating monti I rescued cheap from the LFS, al covered in die off & hair algae. Is starting to come good. When I bought it I saw it's polyps were the most gorgeous color & for $20, at the size of a small plate, I'll give it a go.

THE CREW

So I started this tank with one lonely fish, a juvenile Naso Vlammingi as they are my favourite fish. I had one previously & they were both my lil puppy dogs, always eager to please & interact with me, following me around the tank, eating from my hand, BEST fish.

I didn't plan to add anymore fish for awhile after the Vlamingi, but my mate had tank dramas & needed someone to pick up his blue tang, clowns, mandarin & majestic angel (which was never on my fish list in a million years) SO glad I did it because I absolutely love my angel. I'd never had one before due to potential coral eating, but this one is the exception to the rule. He picks around corals, and around my clam shell, but he's just cleaning around them. Doesn't do them any harm although sometimes takes an exploratory bite of the zoas, until he remembers he doesn't like them anyway.

We call her big blue, which is sort of ironic when you have THIS in your tank:

This is "Ripley" She sorta looks like one of the creatures from Aliens. She's a character though, hilarious fish. Came complete with battle scars on her tail, most likely from tail slapping some poor tang. If only you could see the teeth on her from this picture. She's tough as =)

The majestic Angelfish can be hard to photograph but just so amazing watching him shoot around the reef with his blue fins glowing under the actinic light. He really gives the tank that "reef" feel.

My most recent additions are a male/female pair of Gramma Loreto & watching them interact with each each is adorable. The female is quite scared & likes to hang out with her head stick through a hole in the rockwork where she can feel safe. Her male will actually sit outside like her body guard. I originally intended to buy a trio, but I wasn't satisfied with the health of a smaller individual as they all had pinched stomachs.

Can you see the female? lol

RANDOM & FTS

Clam mantle close up

Cool sponge

LHS

FTS with the afternoon spectrum of my LED Powermodule

FTS - Evening shot witha bluer spectrum. Ignore the frags on the bottom, it will be clear again soon.
-Kirsty

My new 10x3.5x2 SPS dominated mixed reef ( start date: Christmas time)
My 5x2x2 SPS dominated, ATI LED Powered ZEOvit Reef - basically discountinued
Where clams & Angelfish can live in Harmony :)
KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Kirsty's 5x2x2 ZEOvit SPS Dominant (Photo Intensive) Ree

Postby ryanrid » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 8:29 am

Looking good kirsty
ryanrid
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Ben S » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 8:30 am

Very nice. Love the colours that Zeo offers.

I love the fact your $20 frag has turned into a stunner :)

Ben
Ben S
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby damer » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 8:34 am

Well done Kirsty. Looking great
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
damer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Sponsor

Postby happy1 » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 8:46 am

looking really good Kirsty welcome back. look foreword to catching up at a meeting soon :thumbsup:
happy1
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASOV Member Current
MASA Volunteer

Postby KirTracid » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 9:33 am

Ben S wrote:Very nice. Love the colours that Zeo offers.

I love the fact your $20 frag has turned into a stunner :)

Ben

And what I love the most is that I'm not even into the colour tweaking phase of Zeo yet. I gotta admit, I'm pretty good at finding a bargain, too bad it's taken to $100s (a gross underestimate) of wasted dollars to be able to pick em lol I got a Tricolor acro for $20 too recently. Was STNing when I picked it up, so fragged it as soon as I got home now I've got multiple pretty big, perfectly healthy frags. I've been getting alot of bargains @ Williamstown lately, so much so I haven't even been to another LFS since I've been back in the hobby.

Thanks Ryan, Damian & Chris. I'm just glad I've come back & there are still plenty of awesome people around. And Chris, I'm making a big effort to come to the meeting at your place next time round. A month plus gives me alot of time to organise transportation & such. Sunday is the day my partner works & takes MY car while his almost brand new WRX STi sits in our garage in pieces lol actually, he takes my car every damn day. :furious:
-Kirsty

KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby siddr20 » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 10:35 am

looking good so far
siddr20
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby KirTracid » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks Sidd, it's going really smoothly for a really young tank, so I'll take it. So awesome to see you're still around too =)
-Kirsty

KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 1:29 pm

Welcome back Kirsty, (did you really leave?)

Well done on the TJ, they're lots of work to get up, but now you can keep us all updated. :clap:

Hey you could get your Profilux to do your top off.

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby KirTracid » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 2:50 pm

Now Rod, remember I could if I had the damn powerbar still lol. I've got my old float switches, I just don't want to put anymore money into the pII after I've already spent so much & still haven't gotten far as it's just all above my technical abilities. Even when I had the powerbar I couldn't figure out how to make it do what I wanted lol

After my last tank journal had like 25+ pages of shite talking before it saw water maybe you're going to regret the "keeping us updated" stance :devil:
-Kirsty

KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Bandit » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 2:59 pm

Looking great Kirsty
Bandit

Postby coral1 » Mon 14 Oct, 2013 8:27 pm

looking good kirsty !! :thumbsup: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Richo66 » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:00 am

Wow what an amazing tank!!
:clap:
Richo66
Veteran Reefer
MASA Volunteer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 7:21 pm

KirTracid wrote:Now Rod, remember I could if I had the damn powerbar still lol. :

Ah yeah, that's my dementia kicking in...lol

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby r0cksteady » Wed 16 Oct, 2013 2:21 pm

Welcome back
Jason

*A question never asked, is a question never answered.

*Two people attempting something differently, doesn't make one of them wrong

r0cksteady's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft REEF display
r0cksteady
RTAW Veteran Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby KirTracid » Wed 16 Oct, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks Jason, good to be back mate.

& don't worry Rod, I know that feeling all too well =)
-Kirsty

KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby KirTracid » Tue 17 Dec, 2013 2:34 pm

Figured I'd do a quick little update as I've just been too busy to take pictures, although a few things have changed...

*Profilux II - Almost works although I think I fuct the optical sensor port by plugging in the temp sensor :roflmao: so my top off is just on a timer, but it's controlling temp/cooling/moonlights and that's good enough for me until i upgrade to the P3.

* A gorgeous pair of blue cheek triggers have been in hypo for six weeks. I'm currently raising their salinity slowly as I'm waiting to add 2 cleaner shrimp before these guys. The female is a character - eats from my hand, lets me pat her, and spits water 2 foot into the air (had to move the powerpoints after she soaked them. She's my new fave fish. They will be going in shortly.

*partner couldn't resist a tiny female mandarin to pair with our fat male (who's gained alot of weight having 9 foot worth of tanks with no competition) I'm a little bit worried adding the second one, but Matty wouldn't take no for an answer. She's about 2cm =)

*a couple of new wild acros that are either holding their colour or progressing into god knows what.

*My beloved monti's got a bit pissed off after a heater got stuck on. The green cap is making progress, but the purple (which was an RTN rescue) may have reached its stress point. Hopefully they come back. My forest fire fell into front of a powerhead whilst I was awake, wiped away most of the middle, but it's coming back stronger than ever. Sorta good though cuz that [censored] was encroaching on everyone's space that I couldn't even stick it down.

* lost my red zoas/white centre frag as it was surrounded by a bunch of other zoas & they just won. My other reds are multiplying quickly.

* Went through the normal new tank algae phases & they're seriously dissipating whilst corraline is taking over.

* Everything is just chugging along very nicely, has been easily my most stressfree tank so far & maybe one day when I get motivated I'll give you my theories as to why (like anyone cares. lol)

*My stepson & I are working on planning pico tanks for the pico competition, so that should keep us busy too.

So far, happy days. Loving my tank & it appears to love me.

I'll add some pics after I add some my new inhabitants, just thought I'd do a little written update in the meantime. I changed my cam settings & I'm not good with manual mode so need the motivation to sort it all out again.
-Kirsty

KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby ryanrid » Tue 17 Dec, 2013 3:43 pm

update with pics you slacker!!!
when are you going to add sand otherwise your gonna have a pasty tank in a few months, zeo and BB don't work long term.
ryanrid

Postby KirTracid » Tue 17 Dec, 2013 5:26 pm

When I find sand I like =P Honestly, I friggin hate sand & I'm gonna try & get away with it as long as I can. Any suggestions to get away with it even longer?

I have been pretty slack, but honestly until I add a few bits & pieces it'll look just like it did in those last photos, except a a few corals in different spots. I've been away, plus haven't had much spare $ & just wanted to let it establish a bit more before I start going all out. Seriously, the pictures would look exactly the same, with a bunch more corraline, a bit more growth & more colour on all sides as I finally put the t5s in the hybrid (only 4 so far though) & a bunch of frags hidden under the aquscape somewhere inaccessible lol
-Kirsty

KirTracid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)