• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Ari's new 5x2x2

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Ari's new 5x2x2

Postby apalsson » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 8:14 pm

Introduction:
Having had a large reef tank a few years ago and had to pull it down due to several home moves, I decided to have another go.
This time, I am more aware of issues like power consumption, noise etc.
We therefore decided to set up a system that was light on electricity consumption, quiet but still able to support a mixed reef with some SPS

System Type:
Mixed reef

Display System:

Strike up Date:
2 July 2013

Display Tank:
5x2x2 tank. Built by Gary Maher in Brisbane. Right hand weir. Back of tank and weir covered with black acrylic
80Kg live rock. Substrate Caribsea Special Grade Seafloor

Display Lighting:
2 x Maxspect Razor 160W, 16,000K

Stand:
Timber cabinet - Gary Maher built
Matching collar around the top

Sump:
4' x 18" x 16". Originally designed as Miracle Mud sump but modified on my request. Three sections, or inlet/skimmer section, a large refugium with DSB and a return pump compartment
I'm running around 5" of a mixture of Caribsea Sugar Size Aragonite and -.5mm-1mm coral sand.

Support systems:
System Water:
ASW

Display Water circulation:
2 x Tunze 6095

Return Pump:
Waveline 5000

Skimmer:
Skimz Monzter SM163

Evaporation Top Up:
Tunze Osmolator - RoDi Water

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: TBA
Alkalinity Addition: TBA

Other Chemical Maintenance:
RowaPhos Reactor - TLF150

Current Water Chemistry:
pH:8.2
Nitrite:0
Nitrates: 3.0 - API
Phosphates: 0 Salifert
Alkalinity: 150ppm Hagen
Calcium: 430 API
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.026
Magnesuim: 1350 Salifert

apalsson
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Ari's new 5x2x2

Postby apalsson » Sun 07 Jul, 2013 10:04 am

A couple of more photos. Some re-scaping of the rock is needed but other than that, I'm reasonably happy with what I have so far

apalsson
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby obsessed1 » Sun 07 Jul, 2013 10:11 am

Nice setup. Really crisp looking!
Red Sea Reefer 250

Ben & Alyce's 3x2x2 Shutdown
obsessed1
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby jimwannabeareefer » Sun 07 Jul, 2013 10:54 am

Love your scape.. heaps of spots for corals in future. :thumbsup:
jimwannabeareefer
RTAW Reefer

Postby robthepom » Sun 07 Jul, 2013 5:46 pm

:roflmao: great minds think alike, tank and stand are identical to mine :roflmao:

What fish are you aiming for?

Good luck :thumbsup:
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 3 footer

Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer

There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
robthepom
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby apalsson » Sun 07 Jul, 2013 5:56 pm

robthepom wrote::roflmao: great minds think alike, tank and stand are identical to mine :roflmao:

What fish are you aiming for?

Good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Rob, I had noticed your journal and the same type of tank. Actually, your setup was a bit of an inspiration for mine.
I was planning for a few tangs, maybe a long nosed hawk fish and then just play it as I go. I also like Anthias
We used to have a Lipstick tank but this tank might not be big enough for one unless I get a juvenile and then am prepared to move it on once it starts growing. I'm a bit particular to the powder blue as well but I guess we will have to wait and see.
I hadn't given the fish selection a great deal of thought because my mind was all on the corals.
Because my last setup was giving me $1,500 power bills each quarter, I went a different route this time to try to be a bit lighter on power. We can only wait for the next bill and see what the damage is this time
apalsson
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby apalsson » Thu 18 Jul, 2013 8:50 am

I have been adding some fish to the tank. First went in some 4 Chromis that have been darting around there.
As expected, I have macro algae growing all over the rock plus the unavoidable brown algae which now seems to be receding.
Of course, I decided to go out and get a fish to take care of the algae. Selection of fish is limited here in Coffs with only one LFS that services a small market and therefore holds limited stock.

Anyhow, I bought a small Blue Spotted Rabbitfish and in my wisdom, assumed he would go straight to work :o
Not so, - I reckon I got one with an identity complex ... since being introduced to the tank, he has joined the group of Chromis and follows them wherever they go! On the first day, they bullied him into a corner of the tank and stood over him in a group but now, they seem to have accepted him. Heck, at night, he even slips himself into the same rock cave as they sleep in :)

Sorry about the poor photo quality. My iPhone isn't exactly a professional camera :(

Macro Algae is therefore happier than ever! :wall:

Anyhow, I have ordered a Foxface and a Yellow Tang from an online shop in Sydney to be delivered in the morning.
Now it's war on algae :devil:
apalsson
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby apalsson » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 4:03 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I had a massive outbreak of cyno which I contribute to overfeeding by our house sitter wen I was away
The entire substrate was covered in the red slime but for some reason, the rocks didn't seem to have any to mention.
I syphoned out as much as I could including the top layer of the sand and rearranged the flow pumps to direct even better flow along the sand.
I also did three 100L water changes within the same week.

Because I have never fought cyno before, I asked advise in the General Forum and was given a few good tips. One included a light blackout for a few days, however I managed to get rid of this nasty stuff without that.

It look like I'm pretty much on top of the problem now. This morning, I did a major cleanup job in the sump and got rid of any traces of cyno I could find there.
The tank looks all better now

I have ordered a couple of more flow pumps to increase the flow even more. I am going to try out the Sharkman Great White from Guppies.
At the moment, there are 2 x Tunze 6095 in there which in my calculations gives me 9,000 x 2 / 500 = 36x turnover. By adding one of the pumps only, I should have approx. 50x turnover
apalsson
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Aussie Mcgee » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 5:18 pm

have 2 x great whites in my 6 x1 x 2, pretty happy with them. They do have a slight bit of a whirr at night when things are quiet (which doesn't happen often with 3 boys), but very happy regardless. I don't have them running on the controller atm but may be a possibility later on down the track once tank is established a bit more - they certainly shunt the water around!
Aussie Mcgee
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby apalsson » Fri 20 Sep, 2013 1:53 pm

Here are some pictures of the new residents!

apalsson
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby vrbs » Sat 21 Sep, 2013 2:19 pm

Looking very sleek mate
vrbs
Centurion Reefer

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)