• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

3 foot seahorse tank - I have ponies! :-)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

3 foot seahorse tank - I have ponies! :-)

Postby priscacara » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 8:13 pm

Introduction:
Ok the new 3 footer is up and running and as always a major pita. Filled it in the morning only to find the heater had died in the afternoon. Replaced the heater, let it warm up, tested the params etc. Before fill around 10kg of dead rock was added and later 2 small pieces (around 1.2kg) of lr for a little extra bacteria.

Bought the black aluminum to make the light stand and made a ballsup of it so had to get more, then had to modify it twice to fit on top of the tank without chipping the sides of the glass. Got it finished then found the wire hangers wouldnt reach properly so went and got some plastic zip ties and got it all working.

Started the process of removing all the rocks, corals and critters from the nano and placing them temporarily in locations in their new home. The substrate was cleaned as much as possible while in the nano and added to the three. i couldn;t have used the water anyway ..............[censored] did I get a bta? It was on the side of the nano most of the night under the hob filter and opened right up, then this morning it's lying face down in the middle of the tank with what looks like a shredded foot floating in bits all over the tank! It is still alive and hanging on to a rock in the new tank, no idea what happened to it as there was no way it could get into anything to shred it like that.
On a side note, I noticed four bright glowing "things" in the tank around 2 Aam, closer inspection they were pods! never seen any bio luminescent ones so was cool.
Anyways, everything has been moved and the new tank is starting to clear up. I really wished I had more time and could have painted the back of the tank as there is a LOT of light spill. The lights may need lowered later but best to start high just in case as it is a very strong light compared to what everything was used to.

I had breakfast at 4.30 pm, it was one of THOSE days. I should have just had toast and saved a bit of cash as I was so tired I left the $50 note in the atm and when I got back to it was just in time to see it sucked back into the machine.

Reefing Since: June 2012

System Objectives: to have a nice looking tank and not kill anything!

Type of reef: mixed

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 25th March 2013

Display Tank Dimensions: 36L x 18H x 14W

Display Lighting: 120w AMD led

Stand: tall wooden style

Hood or Rimless: open

Sump Design: Nil

Filtration: 750lph hob Aquaone

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: NSW

Display Water circulation: 3800 lph Resun power filter for now

Return Pump: Nil

Skimmer: Red Sea Prism

Evaporation Top Up: manual

Last edited by priscacara on Fri 07 Jun, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: 3 foot nano upgrade

Postby ssscuz » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 8:20 pm

Looks good mate. Light stand looks great
Will be a nice sps tank....
ssscuz
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby priscacara » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 8:41 pm

Tx Nathan, your leading me down the dark path with sps you know! I have a nice red chalice that even after 3 glueing attempts wont stay in place in the main tank so give it a few days and might try in in this new tank.
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby priscacara » Tue 26 Mar, 2013 9:49 pm

A couple of pics under blues.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lore » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 8:58 pm

Looks pretty good Les! Especially considering the day you were having :roflmao: I love the cabinet :nod:

If you want to get those stickers off the aluminimum/connect-it, the best method I found was an old credit card (so you dont scratch the lovely anodised finish), a rag and a lot of eucalyptus oil and/or metho :thumbsup:
------------------------------------------------
In maths, the product of a positive and negative equals a negative and two negatives equal a positive BUT two positives can't equal a negative. Yeah, Right.
---
Tricia
Lore
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby lorby » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 7:20 am

Tank looks great! The light stand looks very professional!
lorby
Centurion Reefer

Postby priscacara » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 1:20 pm

Tx ppls! Will have to try the credit card on the stickers, I should use my current one to stop me spending! I did try vinegar but it didn't really take the glue off.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lore » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 2:00 pm

lol it'll still take a lot of scrubbing to get those stickers off. I did find that if I soaked them with the eucalyptus oil for long enough, and if i was able to get the credit card at the right angle then they came off with only pass of the card. Getting the glue off was a PITA too lol maybe someone else will have a better suggestion for getting the stickers off. I spent more time with the stickers than actually building the frame :wall:
In maths, the product of a positive and negative equals a negative and two negatives equal a positive BUT two positives can't equal a negative. Yeah, Right.
---
Tricia
Lore
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby priscacara » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 4:32 pm

Lol I can see that happening too, the one I managed to get off (mostly) took 10 minutes.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby TheJordans » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 8:11 pm

LOL
Sorry, prisacara, but I couldn't help but giggle at the day you were having, you poor thing!!

Another tip for stickers: heat. By warming them up (either using a hair dryer on a gentle heat, or holding a warm/hot light globe near it) it softens the glue making (most) sticky things super easy to remove :thumbsup:

I'm loving the look though! Keep up the great work!
TheJordans
Centurion Reefer

Postby JonH » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 11:40 pm

Love the new tank, can see that top rock on the left getting overtaken by sps one day!
JonH
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby priscacara » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 12:22 pm

Tx guys, always appreciate input!

Yeah it wasn't the best of days, it didn't end with the tank hassles either I was just dead tired at the end of the day and did a few more silly things. Got home from the shops with a six pack and chips then realized the 6 pack was still on the counter at the shop, I'm a local so it was still waiting for me they even put it in the fridge to keep it cold :-). The final straw was the cat had knocked my reading specs on the floor when I was out and the crunch as I stood on them was NOT what I wanted to hear! Lol the beer, the chips and some senseless violence and destruction in the way of the Expendables 2 helped me relax.

Not sure what to do with this tank Jon, sps would be nice but I'm leaning towards some anemones and a couple of maroon clownfish. The bta from the nano is still not doing great but hoping it bounces back, I have it in a container in the tank so it doesn't get battered around even more.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby klaery » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 9:27 pm

Sorry to hear about the bummer of a day but.. at least the beer was still there! :) Anemones and some maroon clowns would be awesome.
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby Curious_Chaos » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 9:55 pm

OMG!! I NEED TO GET ACTINICS.... I WANT EPIC GLOWING CORAL.

(yes I used caps on purpose) :P
There's something fishy going on....
Curious_Chaos
Veteran Reefer

Postby priscacara » Tue 02 Apr, 2013 12:23 pm

Lol things look so cool with the blue lights, I missed having them on the nano so was great to see them glow under the new lights in this tank.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby priscacara » Thu 04 Apr, 2013 5:58 pm

Small update, got a nice bicolor blenny and small six line wrasse to go with some dark red morphs today . The bta is still not a happy camper so still hoping it settles in.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby priscacara » Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:57 am

Lost the bta last week unfortunately so a rethink on what I want this tank to be (again!).

I'm doing all my research and have some great help from fellow members TheJordans about ........(insert drum roll)...............a seahorse tank!

Cost of getting them from Tassie is the prohibitive factor so far due to postage only being airport to airport. No rush to get them even if I had the cash just now as I need to redo the scape , move on most of the corals (this weekends masov meet), move on the cbs and rehouse the six line into the 400L. I also got hydroids on the tank glass from a small piece of LR I got a few weeks ago so not sure how that will affect things.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lore » Tue 16 Apr, 2013 2:02 pm

A seahorse tank sounds awesome :banana:
What type of seahorses are you looking at getting?
---
Tricia
Lore
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Ilona » Tue 16 Apr, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm toying with seahorses still so will watch with interest. I was also thinking tube worms and perhaps a sea moth with nice macro algae like dragons breath (yes i've been toying with the idea a lot!)
Ilona
Veteran Reefer

Postby priscacara » Tue 16 Apr, 2013 7:43 pm

I think the choice will be kudas or barbouri so I can still keep corals and not have to get a chiller, hard choice though they ALL look cute! I joined a seahorse forum and have been reading through it, they have a great section on tankmates.

I'm trying not to go with the seahorse lingo and name the new tj as Reef N Ranch if I go ahead with them :-)

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby BioScorps » Tue 16 Apr, 2013 8:02 pm

I agree a seahorse tank would be amazing Les. Reeflections had a few seahorses when I was there last. See you Sunday mate,good luck.
BioScorps
Centurion Reefer

Postby TheJordans » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 9:53 am

It's all sounding great, Les :)
We've had hydroids come and go in our tank with the additions of new corals *shrug* Haven't posed a problem yet!
And yes, I would LOVE to get some potbellies!! God they're cute!!
Bek ;)
TheJordans
Centurion Reefer

Postby jeisner » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 10:24 am

sea horses would look great in that tank..

What ever happened to the temperate seahorse fad, 10 years or so ago they were everywhere (bit like the freshwater shrimp fad at the moment).. Guess it died out as I haven't seen any this time around?
jeisner
Centurion Reefer

Postby priscacara » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 2:50 pm

Tx ppls, its on its way to being seahorse friendly :-)

Mo idea on the fads in marine, I went along with the crowd a few times with freshies and enjoyed everything I kept but after the fad or when you just need a change it gets hard to move the fish along. Tropheus was my last fad fish I think and I had my plans in motion to keep them before they became the next must have fish :-)

Tx Bek, the usual thing you see mention of doom and gloom with a few posters on sites and if you take it as gospel we just wouldn't get up in the morning, was going to pm you about the hydroids so good timing!

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby saltymike » Tue 23 Apr, 2013 4:49 pm

i went to sydney aquarium on the weekend and they have several sea horse tanks at the moment as well as sea dragon tanks.

all i can say is wow, such graceful and elegant creatures, i don't blame you for setting one up bro!!!

i'll post you some pics once i've uploaded them.

mike
Mike and Tina's AR400 Tank Journal link below

http://masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=243993
saltymike
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby TheJordans » Wed 24 Apr, 2013 3:06 pm

saltymike wrote:such graceful and elegant creatures

^ They may be "graceful" and "elegant", but gee they're blonde!! In my experience (and opinion ;) ) there's a whole lot of :stupid: that goes on in our pony tank :roflmao:
Makes for entertaining viewing :laugh:
TheJordans
Centurion Reefer

Postby priscacara » Wed 24 Apr, 2013 6:16 pm

Looking forward to seeing your pics Mike!

Rofl I better not put a mirror anywhere near it then, could have a few squashed in snouts otherwise.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby TheJordans » Thu 25 Apr, 2013 7:55 pm

^ :laugh: I reckon you'd find all the females there checking themselves out! LOL
TheJordans
Centurion Reefer

Postby priscacara » Fri 26 Apr, 2013 12:48 pm

Rofl unless the males went to the gym........................

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby TheJordans » Sat 27 Apr, 2013 1:24 pm

:roflmao:
TheJordans
Centurion Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)