• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Klaery's small reef

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Klaery's small reef

Postby klaery » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 9:02 pm

Introduction:
Hi guys,
I have finally got around to making a move on the small reef tank I have been thinking about for a while. Also joined up here (have been lurking/reading the last few months). I have kept and bred a lot of freshwater fish since my early teens, about 15 years total. I have also had a 4ft saltwater tank from 2006-2008 that was pretty low tech. It worked though and I grew some soft corals and local fish and inverts in it. Alot of these I collected myself as I was a pretty keen spear fisherman at the time (and was studying zoology/marine biology).

So anyway on to the tank :)

System Objectives: To have a good looking little piece of reef in the home.

System Type: LPS mainly. I'll be having some shrimp and maybe a single dottyback or something fish wise.

Display System:

Strike up Date: 1/4/2013

Display Tank: 24L X 18D X 18H Yi Ding rimless tank with low iron glass. Really a beautiful tank for the price.

Display Lighting: 90W high quality Chinese unit.

Stand: Made by me. See pics.

Hood: Open top.

Sump: 24L x 12D x 15H. Has 3 sections. 1st is skimmer. 2nd is the refugium and deep sand bed. 3rd houses the return pump and heater.

Refugium Lighting:

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water and Tropica marin artificial salt water.

Display Water circulation: Tunze wavemaker

Return Pump: Eden 140 (with a bypass as it is way too powerful for what I want).

Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC3

Chiller:

Heater: 100W Fluvia

Evaporation Top Up: Manual with distilled water.

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition:

Alkalinity Addition:

Magnesium Addition:

Other Chemical Maintenance:

Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesium:
PH:

Stock list:

Fish:
none

Invertebrates:
Brain maze coral - Platygyra sp.
Acro - Acropora sp
Green hammer coral Euphyllia ancora

Acro crab - Tetralia nigrolineata
Last edited by klaery on Fri 12 Apr, 2013 9:57 am, edited 11 times in total.
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Re: Klaery's small reef

Postby klaery » Mon 18 Mar, 2013 9:11 pm

So as of Saturday tank is drilled and picked up the bulkheads (both inlet and outlet).

Today I started work on the stand. Picked up the wood and cut to size.

Screwed together the bottom and top frame.

Screwed in the main legs.

Plenty of work to go but at least progress is being made :)
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby klaery » Tue 19 Mar, 2013 10:44 am

In terms of lighting I went yesterday and had a look around and chat to the staff at age of aquariums. I am currently thinking Vertex Illumilux Marino Bianco 600mm 50/50 Royal Blue - White. Has anyone here got an opinion on these lights? Last time I set up a salt water tank it was all tubes and metal halides if you had the cash so I greatly appreciate any advice you can give on LED lighting.
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby priscacara » Tue 19 Mar, 2013 3:42 pm

Hi Klaery, sounds like it is going to be a nice setup!

Ben at Aoa has always helped me out with both gear and advice in both fresh and now marine. If an item isn't suitable he will let you know rather than have you buy the wrong thing even if it means sending you to another shop. Not the case here of course, I have seen those lights on the website and they were on my shortlist at one stage ( I got 2nd hand AMD leds in the end).
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby klaery » Tue 19 Mar, 2013 10:00 pm

priscacara wrote:Hi Klaery, sounds like it is going to be a nice setup!

Ben at Aoa has always helped me out with both gear and advice in both fresh and now marine. If an item isn't suitable he will let you know rather than have you buy the wrong thing even if it means sending you to another shop. Not the case here of course, I have seen those lights on the website and they were on my shortlist at one stage ( I got 2nd hand AMD leds in the end).

Thanks for reading :)
Yeah they seem really good there :) it is between work and home too so mega handy!
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby klaery » Fri 22 Mar, 2013 8:36 pm

Have gone with this for lighting. Cheap chinese unit but it has everything I want in a light and seems to be put together with quality components.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/US-Seller-D9 ... 35c5b272be

Have also done a bit of work on the stand, I'll get pics up tomorrow.
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby klaery » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 1:13 pm

Picked up six - 234 X 300mm x 6mm glass pieces to be used as the baffles in my sump. Pics up when it is done. Sump will have the collection with filter sock and skimmer, through bubble trap into a refugium, through bubble trap and into the return. Also picked up the 4inch sock and sock holder for mechanical filtration.
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby klaery » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 7:58 pm

Tank ready and waiting. 10kg of crushed coral sand in to see how it looks. I like the level.

Little progress on the stand.

Fittings I got for the drain and return.
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby Kransky » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 9:42 pm

Looks like things are coming along nicely :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Col
Cols Tank Journal
Cols 4x2.5x2.5
Kransky
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby AJD » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 10:38 pm

Almost there! When is the planned christening?
AJD
Centurion Reefer

Postby klaery » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks for reading Col and AJD. Hopefully get it all sorted over Easter. I am a teacher so get decent holidays ;)

Just need to finish the stand, sump and source a skimmer. Thinking a bubble magus due to the decent reviews and low price.
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby klaery » Wed 27 Mar, 2013 8:05 pm

Did a bit more work on the stand and did most of the sump today.

Used magnetic clamps/90 degree angles to hold the glass in place. for the two pieces held above the bottom. I moved it up after this but it shows what I did.

Then for the pieces that either sides of these pieces were clamped in place with a piece of wood to hold an even gap. Here is a pic of all dividers in place with the last two still being clamped while the silicone cures.

It will work as is but I may make a box for the drain from the tank.
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby lorby » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 7:22 am

Nice work! That stand looks pretty damn solid as well. Looking forward to seeing it operational :)
lorby
Centurion Reefer

Postby klaery » Fri 29 Mar, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks Lorby :)

Did a little more work to the stand today. The two open sides will have doors in them so will take a little longer. Also going to add some trim to cover up the ends of ply ;)

klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby klaery » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 9:45 pm

Little more work on the stand. Starting to look better with the trim on. It will have a door at the front and one in the side.

Also set the sump in a loop to get it ticking over. Seeded it with 1kg of live rock. Getting excited :)
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby priscacara » Sun 31 Mar, 2013 1:00 pm

Making great progress! Starting to get close, bet you can't wait.
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby klaery » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 9:14 pm

priscacara wrote:Making great progress! Starting to get close, bet you can't wait.

Yep getting pretty excited! Finished the stand off today except for the doors which I will finish off at a later time, probably while the tank is cycling. Tomorrow I will get my piping and foam for under the tank. Might even go and collect some water :)

Here is the finished stand (minus doors). The front door is for general access/maintenance. The side door is to get the sump in and out (which is the largest I can possibly fit under the tank with a stand of this style).

klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby klaery » Wed 03 Apr, 2013 9:04 pm

Fair bit of progress :)

Tank on the stand with my plumbing dummied up.

Will add flexible hoses for the last bit of plumbing into the actual sump. This will make working on/round the sump a lot easier.

Picked up some Tunze wavemaker goodness.

And my light arrived. I love this thing. It is pretty quiet and puts out a heap of light.
The controller.

Very happy with how things are shaping up. Just need to figure out how to hang that light!
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby klaery » Thu 04 Apr, 2013 9:56 pm

PVC all bonded and teflon tape on all threads. Ready to go in that department :)

Another goodie arrived too. Bubble magus NAC3 protein skimmer. Fits perfectly in the sump :) Here it is sitting inside the stand roughly where it will once in the sump.

Tomorrows project: find some way to hang the light.
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby klaery » Fri 05 Apr, 2013 9:56 pm

So today worked on the light hanging solution :) I made it up as I went along but It came out ok. Image

Testing them out. Plenty of space to adjust height.

Routed the cable up through a hole in the top and attached the controller/dimmer to the back of the light stand.

Really happy with how it is looking. This afternoon I filled the display up three quaters with natural salt water. I noticed that it was slightly off level with the water being about 4 or 5mm higher at the front then the back. To fix this I cut up some 3mm ply and put it under the front legs under the stand where you can't see it. Being a larger surface area (and with the stand being on carpet) this actually raised the front by 4mm and brought the water to perfectly level.
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby priscacara » Sat 06 Apr, 2013 3:19 pm

Awesome job, it looks great!

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby slawman » Sat 06 Apr, 2013 4:07 pm

Nice build mate. Do you have to turn those knobs to dim the light or does it dim on a timer?
The winner is the one who has had the most fun at the end

Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
slawman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby TezzaNicko » Sat 06 Apr, 2013 6:27 pm

Nice little set up mate. Will be tagging along.
TezzaNicko
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby lorby » Sat 06 Apr, 2013 6:32 pm

That woodworking looks top notch :)
lorby
Centurion Reefer

Postby klaery » Sat 06 Apr, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks all for the kind words :cheers: Picked up some live rock today but only had time to put it in and get it running. I'll put pics up tomorrow after I have had a play with it.

slawman wrote:Nice build mate. Do you have to turn those knobs to dim the light or does it dim on a timer?

Yeah it is more for setting the intensity of the different colours than it is for change throughout the day. It does have two separate cables though from the controller back to the power point. One is uv/blues/red and the other is for the whites. I will put the coloured channel to come on an hour earlier than the whites and I will make the whites go off an hour before the colours in the evening to try and give some realism to the transition from night to day.

I have to say I am loving the light. Gives a lot of great looking light, Has all the wavelengths I want, it isn't too noisy and it doesn't get hot like I have heard many other chinese units do. Hopefully it will grow corals for me!
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby slawman » Sun 07 Apr, 2013 5:27 am

I will be interested to see how the light goes for you and your opinion of it as you progress with your setup. The price is certainly right!

You may want to consider putting some corrosion protection on that metal bracket in your light stand (if you havent already).
The winner is the one who has had the most fun at the end

Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
slawman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby klaery » Sun 07 Apr, 2013 7:55 pm

Yeah will keep updating about the light. The bracket is zinc coated and I gave it a bit of an oil coat so will hopefully be ok up where it is. It isn't structural anyway (design changed half way though) so if worst comes to worst I'll take it off. I like the look of it though if I can keep it clean :)

Here is a pic of the 5ish kg of live rock after I had a play. Pump and heater are only in there for another day or two while I change something plumbing wise to the sump. Had just put in nsw too so a bit of sediment was yet to settle (clear now).
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby klaery » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 6:11 pm

So tank is clean now. Added another 2 pieces of rock and came up with my final scape. Here it is. I am going to take some of the sand from the front of the tank and move it to the sump. A bit too much on the left side.

Also took a few pics of some hitchhikers while I had the real camera out. I'll have to bring it out at night some time as there is ALOT of life. Favourite so far are probably the acro and crab pair Or a cowrie type snail I saw last night. I'll get a photo when I see it again.

Acro and symbiotic crab.

Polyp thing. It opens up fully at times but in the pic it is only half open.

Brown surface coral over some of the rock and embedded bivalve filter feeders. No idea what they are but they are colourful.

One of many sponges.
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Postby rmhowie » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 8:58 pm

Looks good Klaery!

Cool acro crab! I've got to get me some live rock to get all the fun things too. :)

How's the drain noise with just one pipe? Have you got a good way of keeping it quiet?
--Robert
MASWA Committee
2ft coral box, shutting down my 3ft
rmhowie
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby klaery » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 10:50 pm

rmhowie wrote:Looks good Klaery!

Cool acro crab! I've got to get me some live rock to get all the fun things too. :)

How's the drain noise with just one pipe? Have you got a good way of keeping it quiet?

Hi Robert,

That is a good question and one I had a lot of thoughts about before setting it up. This first tank for me was about making things as simple as possible. It makes an audible trickle noise but it isn't bad (this tank is in my room and I sleep fine). It is actually quite a nice relaxing sound :clap: I only move my display tanks volume through the sump maybe 3 times an hour though so It doesn't have to drain an awful lot. If I take the little mesh filter off it it is absolutely silent (though I keep it on as I have no weir).
klaery
RTAW Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)