• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Jimmmy's 4x18x2

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Jimmmy's 4x18x2

Postby JimmmyD » Sun 02 Dec, 2012 3:18 pm

Hey Reefers,

Been a while since i've been around - a series of Jobs and life changes put my tank build on hold.

The bug bit me the other week and i've been lurking around for a good month now getting back up to speed and keeping an eye on the classifieds, low and behold a tank popped up that I could afford (with a little bit of generosity of the owner, Thanks Dynomite)

So we're still in the stages of cleaning everything up and testing what works before I declare what the net haul is - Watch this space :)
Jimmmy - Takes photos from inside the tank :) - My Tank Journal
JimmmyD
Curious Reefer

Re: Jimmmy's 4x18x2

Postby culturedreef » Tue 04 Dec, 2012 12:12 am

Hi Jimmy is the tank still have livestock or is it a shutdown?
culturedreef
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby JimmmyD » Thu 06 Dec, 2012 2:05 pm

My tank is still running - the new tank is in the garage doing it's water tests now before I move it up to the house.
JimmmyD
Curious Reefer

Postby JimmmyD » Mon 24 Dec, 2012 6:50 pm

So finally i've had some time to write, i've been lurking around the forums daily but never really being able to sit down and type up this journal - more time pending i'll be dropping my gopro in the tank for a "fish swim" video :)

So basically the tank was purchased off another member - Mr Dynomite you can find his tank journal here: viewtopic.php?t=211788

System Aim: To provide a quiet visually appealing system, starting out FOWLR but maybe play with corals later.
Tank - 48x18x24 (24 tall, 18 wide), Corner Wier with two drainage 1x 25mm, 1x 32mm
Sump - 3ft Sump - 3 chambers, Intake/Skimmer > Liverock fuge > Return
Lighting: - AquaOne MG1200 - 1 Hailides, 4x T8's - 2 marine blue, 2 daylight
Water: Fresh Saltwater from Total Aquarium Moorebank
Skimmer: Octopus 800 Classic (Seems to be one of the older models)
Evaporation Top Up: Me with bucket
Circulation: AquaOne 20000 wavemaker set
Strike Up Date: Prep began Dec 1st, Water and rock was in by December 8th

So the system currently has a combination of 20kgs of fresh LR, and an unknown quantity of cured and dry rock. - The sand is a mix of my live sand from my previous tank and DYNOMITE's sand that was painstakingly washed to cleanliness.
It's been a few weeks running with high circulation to keep everything moving, the cycle has finished and i've purchased two friendly little chromus to grow my biofilter - I know for sure the cured rock and live sand i've added is enough to stop any major spikes but I still want to slowly add my current livestock and some remaining pieces of cured rock.

I'll add a few pics and then continue to waffle on about things i've done, what i've replaced and what I plan to do - Just a heads up this journal will probably be fairly picture heavy as I like my visuals :D
JimmmyD
Curious Reefer

Postby JimmmyD » Mon 24 Dec, 2012 7:12 pm

Day 1 - Dirty smelly tanks.
Day 1 - All the inherited bits and bobs
Day 1 - One clean sump, Earn't me a nasty bit of sunburn for my efforts, Also cleaned all the bits and bobs and tested stuff.
JimmmyD
Curious Reefer

Postby JimmmyD » Mon 24 Dec, 2012 7:19 pm

Day 5 - New tank meet Old Tank - Begin set-up and fill.
Through the magic of not posting - boom meet current set-up (24/12/12)
JimmmyD
Curious Reefer

Postby JimmmyD » Mon 24 Dec, 2012 7:35 pm

So this list of things that have been upgraded/replaced stands as follows.
- Replaced All T8's with AquaOne bulbs + two starters
- In the process of replacing one metal hailide bulb
- Got rid of Tunze powerhead and controller - (Was shorting the power and tripping the safety)
- Working on doing a new 'Neater' return.
- Removed eggcrate from wier - Assuming this was for noise dampening
- New 25mm Full siphon drilled to break siphon higher than bottom of wier in event of power off.
- New 32mm Emergency Drain standpipe
- New mesh gaurd for wier
- Aquarium Foam media in wier and between chambers in the sump to silence waterfall noise - also serves as effective bubble remover and media home for bacteria.
- New foam for under the tank - got some thicker and more high grade stuff as the old foam was pretty crushed.
- Recently realised the stand is bowed and needs a support in the back - fixing this, considering building new cabinent
- Got rid of all the old powerheads, some had cord damage leading to live current in the water, others had busted shafts or motors that had seen better days, managed to salvage the two aquaclear pumps currently using them for lazy waterchanges as they proved murderous in my tank (tested them for 3 days, Managed to kill a sick lemonpeal angel that was comming good - got sucked into the intake and couldn't get out)
- New powerboards underneath with individual switches
- In the process of adding clips for all cabling to ensure no water can run to live power and cause headaches.
- New powerheads added - Aquaone 20000 wavemaker - 4x 5000l pumps which alternate between 2 and 2 via a controller - might add a nano powerhead i have for any deadspots.
- Working on some new hinges
- Working on getting the skimmer running... need to do some modification to it's water height (thinking an egg-crate stand of sorts to raise it up) but not sure if it's healthy or not regardless it needs to be made and i'd like to ensure I keep as much volume in the sump as possible.

So far so good, nothing has broken my heart with this tank yet - seeing the bowing frame made me pace for a few minutes swearing alot but otherwise it's all good.
JimmmyD
Curious Reefer

Postby priscacara » Sun 30 Dec, 2012 10:10 am

Lot of changes made but it looks good so worth doing it all!
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)