• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Dane's 4x2x2 - TOTF - March 2013

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Dane's 4x2x2 - TOTF - March 2013

Postby danestead » Sat 04 Aug, 2012 7:59 pm

Recent FTS:

Introduction:
I am moving back home to Perth, from Sydney, which gives me an excuse to setup a new tank. I've had a 20L Fluval Edge reef for the last year in Sydney. It has had its ups and downs, cost me about 4 times as much as I expected and most of all taught me a heck of a lot. It is currently in the process of being shut down. I hope my stuff ups have been ironed out with that tank so that the new 4ft runs as smooth as possible.

System Objectives: To have a visually stunning centre piece to our living room.

System Type: Mixed reef with mainly softies and LPS however I would like to try some small frags of SPS later down the track if my water chemistry falls into place.

Display System:

Strike up Date: 19th December 2012

Display Tank: 4x2x2, front and sides Starfire, euro braced with coast to coast external overflow, bean animal plumbing. Black vinyl on back of tank.

Display Lighting: 2 x Ecotech Radion Pro's. Mounted 20cm above the water surface. I run about 6hrs of 12k light during the day with a couple of hours of royal blue either side and a 6hr complete blackout period.

Stand: Powder coated steel with Polar White Silk cladding.

Hood: (Revised) 15cm Crown.

Sump: 80cm x 44cm x 40cm tall. Refugium, Skimmer section and return. 2 x External Phosban reactor 150's running activated carbon and Rowaphos.

Refugium: 45L at running level.

Refugium Lighting: 18" reflector with 2 x 16w 12,000k fluro tubes.

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water.

Display Water circulation: 2 x Ecotech MP40wes with Ecotech Battery Backup.

Return Pump: Eheim Universal 1262

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 180 (was going to be a BM180CS but ended up getting the newer model). Vertex Vectra automatic skimmer cleaner to cut down on daily maintenance chores. :clap:

Chiller: Hailea HC-150A sitting in the garage which I haven't needed yet because we run the aircon 24/7.

Heater: 2 x Eheim Jager 200w.

Evaporation Top Up: Tunze Osmolator topping up from a custom 35L glass reservoir in cabinet.

Chemical Support:
All dosed via a Kamoer 4 pump master unit.

Calcium Addition: Randy's Recipe, 47mL/day.

Alkalinity Addition: Randy's Recipe, 47mL/day.

Magnesium Addition: Randy's Recipe, 7mL/day.

Carbon Dosing (Vinegar): 24mL/day.

Current Water Chemistry and Targets (in brackets):
Temp: 26c (26c)
Nitrates: 0.0ppm (<0.25ppm)
Phosphates: 0.00ppm (<0.05ppm)
Alkalinity: 142ppm (145ppm)
Calcium: 415ppm (418ppm)
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.025 (1.025)
Magnesium: 1350ppm (1300ppm)
PH: 8.0 (8.1 - 8.3)

Stock list:

Fish: Will be using an Eden Fish Feeder for feeding in the middle of the day when at work.
Current:
1 x Blue Spot Lawnmower Blenny "Benny"
2 x Wild caught Percula Clowns
1 x Yellow Tang "Bubbles"
5 x Smithvanizi Anthias "William, Kate, Mary and Pippa"
1 x Royal Gramma "Charles IV"
1 x Two Barred Rabbitfish "Roger"
1 x 6 Line Wrasse "Stripey II"

Invertebrates:
Current:
2 x Coral Banded Shrimp "Mr and Mrs Claws"
20-30 x Trochus
1 x Turbo
3 x Stromb
2 x Nassarius
1 x Peppermint Shrimp "Sargent Pepper"

Planned:
1 x Clam

Past:
1 x Blonde Lipstick Tang (RIP 12/7/13)
1 x 6 Line Wrasse "Stripey" (RIP 2/1/14 - Carpet surfed)
1 x Psychedelic Mandarin Dragonet "Mandy" (RIP)

Corals: All corals must have bright colours. I love a tank that under actinic moonlighting has a real wow factor. I hate boring bland browns etc in a tank.

Current:
Zoanthids
Acans
Scolly
Brains
Hammers
Green Pocci frag
Staghorn frag
Gonis
Blue/Purple Acro
Tricolour Acro
Yellow Acro
Orange Millepora
Pink Birdsnest
Other various acros

Planned:
Pretty much chock a block now so just letting everything grow out!

Images: More to come on strike up date. In the mean time, here is a Sketchup model (sorry I haven't figured out the rendering side of things yet).

Note: I was originally going to have an enclosed hood as per this picture, however I am now going with a crown as per the top photo.

I've spent many months reading other tank journals and researching and this is the design I have settled on. Feel free to comment or add any constructive criticism. I won't have many updates for the next month or so however once it is all ordered and arrived you will start to see some progress.

Thanks for looking! :cheers:
Last edited by danestead on Fri 30 May, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 44 times in total.
danestead
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Re: Dane's 4x2x2

Postby ssbk23 » Sat 04 Aug, 2012 8:25 pm

Looking forward to watching this come together :thumbsup:
ssbk23
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dodgyd » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 11:15 am

Are you going to put some sort of durso set up on the drain pipes to reduce noise? Would be keen to see the plans for plumbing.

Cleaner wrassie could be an addition but you would have to check that it gets on with the 6 line. It should be fine with the others.

I see what you are doing with the heater redundancy, but seriously, you will be in Perth... unless you are in the desert with sub zero overnight and the tank outside, I would just put 1 x 300 watt in it. Your call though as 2 x is obviously safer. My heater hardly functions over winter due to the warm room it is in.
dodgyd
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby danestead » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 3:53 pm

Dave, I'm plumbing it with the bean animal overflow method which is basically silent. In terms of heater redundancy I figured that for an extra $50 I may as well get 2 considering its a small expense in the big scheme of things. I'll look into those fish options!
danestead
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby danestead » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 6:38 pm

Thought I should also add that my tank, sump, stand and Osomolator has been ordered. I also have the radions with tir lenses installed sitting at home along with battery backup and plumbing fittings. I'm in the process of sourcing the Bubble Magus 180 CS skimmer. A sparky put a quad outlet power point in my living room wall a couple of weeks ago for the tank.The stand should take about 2 weeks so when that's in I can get the cladding sorted whilst the DT is being built.

Everything is taking a while but within a couple of months you should start to see it all coming together.

Thanks.
danestead
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby priscacara » Thu 20 Sep, 2012 7:59 pm

Looking forward to it, sounds like its going to be a great build.
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dodgyd » Fri 21 Sep, 2012 11:09 am

Bean animal looks top notch. Should have no issues there.

Foxface could also be an alternative to the yellow tang. Just pick which one you like the look of better!

Keep in mind the 6 line will go after ornamental shrimp and I think it will compete for food with the mandarin. Coral Banded Shrimp can hold their own against 6 line and others and are a good addition, but a peppermint would be lunch. CBS would also eat peppermints so probably a moot point. (This is all from memory so might be worth checking).
Last edited by dodgyd on Fri 21 Sep, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dodgyd
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby dodgyd » Fri 21 Sep, 2012 11:11 am

danestead wrote:A sparky put a quad outlet power point in my living room wall a couple of weeks ago for the tank.

Only a quad? Amateur :roflmao:
dodgyd
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby danestead » Wed 03 Oct, 2012 7:55 pm

It's like christmas time, my 2 MP40wes' turned up today to go with the other stuff I've been gathering!

danestead
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby Blueface.Acro311 » Thu 04 Oct, 2012 12:22 pm

Sounds like an awesome tank in the making can't wait to see more!! How are you placing the lights over the tank in connection to the rock work ,and what height from the water level?
Blueface.Acro311
Lurking Reefer

Postby danestead » Thu 04 Oct, 2012 1:29 pm

Blueface.Acro311 wrote:Sounds like an awesome tank in the making can't wait to see more!! How are you placing the lights over the tank in connection to the rock work ,and what height from the water level?

At this stage I'm not fully decided on a rock scape yet however I'm tending towards possibly 2 bommies. If I go down that path the lights will be suspended pretty much directly over each bommie. In terms of PAR distribution I'm not too sure yet whether that is a good thing or not as I haven't got as far as looking into that yet. I will however be keeping a variety of corals that require a vast difference in PAR from Zoas and Mushrooms requiring down towards 100 PAR to hopefully dabbling with a few Acros liking from 400 and above. Hopefully a couple of bommies will give me a good spread.

The lights will be mounted on a rail (which can slide in and out of the hood for maintenence) within the hood 20cm above the water surface. There was someone on RC who posted a PAR map of their Radion once the TIR lense was installed and if I remember correctly (the photo has since been taken down) he was getting PAR readings of about 200ish on the sand at the edges through to about 800 just under the water surface directly under the light at 100% power.

Edit: Found a thumbnail of the graph, adjusted par readings in my post.
danestead
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby Blueface.Acro311 » Thu 04 Oct, 2012 4:37 pm

Sounds like you have them going in the right place, they should be plenty of light for the corals you mentioned. I had 2 XR30w over a 3x2x2 sps only tank but notice that most of my acros weren't going as well as the one's closer to the led unit, I ended up putting another 2 over the tank, probably wasn't necessary but I like my corals to look good and grow as rapid as possible. Also means I have more Opportunity to frag them haha but defiantly guarantee that your lights will do an exceptional job like they did for me. Keep the pics rolling as you setup :)
Blueface.Acro311
Lurking Reefer

Postby danestead » Fri 02 Nov, 2012 3:55 pm

Picked up my stand on Wednesday and painted up some ply for the base of the stand. The Bubble Magus Curve 180 arrived today. :cheers:

danestead
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby gussssy!!!! » Fri 02 Nov, 2012 10:25 pm

the fish tank next to the beer fridge, great combination :roflmao: :clap:
My Tank Journal -----> viewtopic.php?f=148&t=236228
gussssy!!!!
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby priscacara » Sat 03 Nov, 2012 8:10 am

Nice lot of kit! Location! Location! Location! Couldn't get better next to the beer fridge unless you were at the pub itself and then the drunks would pee in your tank so this is the better option :-)
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby danestead » Sat 03 Nov, 2012 11:57 am

Haha cheers guys, its just sitting in the garage atm but will actually b going in the living room when it finally gets water in it. Also, its not just a beer fridge, that's my keg fridge!
danestead
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby gussssy!!!! » Sat 03 Nov, 2012 3:13 pm

danestead wrote: Also, its not just a beer fridge, that's my keg fridge!

:clap: :clap:
My Tank Journal -----> viewtopic.php?f=148&t=236228
gussssy!!!!
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby priscacara » Mon 05 Nov, 2012 2:23 pm

:cheers:

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby danestead » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 1:45 pm

Quick update. Tank is almost finished, just needs the bracing siliconed and the sump needs the baffles siliconed in as well. I've got all my pumps, heaters, skimmer etc etc ready to go. Had a bit of fun doing some chemistry with my rocks last night, they are currently soaking in tap water and will be transferred to RO/DI to further soak soon.

danestead
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby rataxus » Sat 24 Nov, 2012 7:23 pm

Hi Dane, was thinking of getting one of the BM curve skimmers myself but not sure where to get one, where did you source yours from?
rataxus
RTAW Reefer

Postby dodgyd » Sun 25 Nov, 2012 7:10 pm

danestead wrote:Quick update. Tank is almost finished, just needs the bracing siliconed and the sump needs the baffles siliconed in as well. I've got all my pumps, heaters, skimmer etc etc ready to go. Had a bit of fun doing some chemistry with my rocks last night, they are currently soaking in tap water and will be transferred to RO/DI to further soak soon.

Ummm, I think your skimmer is going nuts... LOL
dodgyd
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby NVRENUF » Mon 26 Nov, 2012 10:27 pm

Looks great. Can't wait to see it all running.
8x2x2 Mixed Reef Build viewtopic.php?f=145&t=255458
5x2x2.5 Mixed Reef, SHUTDOWN viewtopic.php?f=148&t=246851
NVRENUF
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby danestead » Thu 29 Nov, 2012 2:28 pm

Tank is getting there... slowly. It's just missing some of the eurobracing plus the weir. Fingers crossed I'll have it next week...
Glad I went with the starfire, it looks great.

danestead
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby NVRENUF » Thu 29 Nov, 2012 2:31 pm

Who is making the tank for you ?
8x2x2 Mixed Reef Build viewtopic.php?f=145&t=255458
5x2x2.5 Mixed Reef, SHUTDOWN viewtopic.php?f=148&t=246851
NVRENUF
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby danestead » Mon 03 Dec, 2012 5:08 pm

Got bored at home so started playing around trying to suss out a rock scape. This is what I came up with in about 10 minutes and I've numbered it and taken heaps of photos to try help me with recreating it inside the tank. It seems I've bought way too much rock as I have about a third left over. Most of the rock is really porus and hence light so out of the 65kgs I bought I will probably only end up with around 40kgs in the tank.

danestead
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby chromus » Mon 03 Dec, 2012 5:56 pm

I heard from some seedy type that your tank might be ready this week or by the end of Jan?
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby danestead » Wed 12 Dec, 2012 8:11 pm

IT'S WET.... with fresh water anyway!

I've done a leak test which went well and also had a play around with the Bean Animal overflow system. At first it seemed like it was going to be really finicky tuning the overflow however with a little bit of practice it hasn't been that hard at all. The 25mm siphon easily takes on the full load of the Eheim 1262 return pump (~2000lph) as the ball valves are about half closed. I've been playing around testing the overflow by simulating the blocking of any combination of 2 out of the 3 pipes. So far so good but realistically I think I'd be unlucky enough to get 1 blocked pipe. It's good to know there is double redundancy anyway.

I went out and bought some black sticky back dacron from a sail maker to stick to the back of the tank. I've tested it in a small area but I think I will have to go get some more as 1 layer seems a little grey whereas 2 layers blacks it out completely. As soon as I can find a few mates to help me lift the tank inside I'll get to the job of sticking it on.

I've just got to get the cabinet and crown made up now and it will be full steam ahead.

Anyway, enough of the boring chat, here's a couple of pictures.

danestead
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Re: Dane's 4x2x2 - IT'S WET... with freshwater anyway!

Postby danestead » Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:19 pm

So now I've stuck the black dacron to the back of the tank and put it in its final position. I've also hung the lights. Just a tip, don't crawl around the roof on a 30 degree day. I've booked the water man for Wednesday so can't wait for then!

A couple of photos during and after hanging the Radions.

danestead
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Postby GRK-351 » Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:24 pm

looking really clean and sleek mate. will be an awesome setup!!
Mat's first reef tank - 4x2.5x2 Peninsular
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=240695
GRK-351
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby danestead » Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:58 pm

Thanks Matt, I've actually just started following you TJ, nice setup you have there also.

I forgot to add that I've had a quote written up for the cladding and crown, which I'm going in tomorrow to give the go ahead. It's pretty busy over xmas so it's going to take a few weeks to make up.
danestead
Bicentenary Reefer
MASWA Member

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)