• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Le Zeobox - 15/6 Small update

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Le Zeobox - 15/6 Small update

Postby chriso316 » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 1:32 am

Jobs and priorities change but reefing stays an addiction...opted for an easier to maintain tank that makes coffee and does the washing and adds 37 drops of whatever per day by itself.
Building the tank myself, building the stand myself, and using most of the gear I've collected. The dimensions will be enjoyable, cheaper to run and easy to maintain. Looking forward to getting it going.

System Objectives: SPS dominated zeovit and for now a very ssb

System Type: SPS

Display System:

Strike up Date: Feb 2012
Display Tank: 150x45x37 Rimless DIY

Display Lighting: 6x54W dimmable DIY t5

Stand: Timber DIY cladded with grey Laminex

Hood: DIY Laminex cladded like stand

Sump: 90x45x42 skimmer/return DIY

Refugium: :-s

Refugium Lighting: :think:

Support systems:

System Water: ASW

Display Water circulation: Tunze 2x 6125's, 2x6045's (may change to modded 6025) and 2x6105's (soon)

Return Pump: Aquabee up 3000

Skimmer: KZ revolution small

Evaporation Top Up: ATO

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Profilux 3

Alkilinity Addition: Profilux 3

Other Chemical Maintenance: Zeovit - Vertex ZF-15 reactor

Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

:banana:
Last edited by chriso316 on Sat 16 Jun, 2012 12:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Re: Le Zeobox

Postby wmackay » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 8:49 am

Lookin forward to this build
Mate, time for pics I rekon!
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down."
Woodys 32x20x20 Reef
*****Woodys NEW Cuboid Archipelago*****
wmackay
RTAW Veteran Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby ryanrid » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 10:21 am

sounds awesome Chris!
ryanrid
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 7:33 pm

Cheers guys, got word our landlord is kicking us out on christmas eve because he wants to move back in... what a pecker! so everything is still sitting in the boxes they came in from germany on the floor til we move. On the plus side we decided this move will be the last until we buy a place, so theres no thought in the back of my mind that id have to tear the tank down in a short period of time.

The timber is sitting in the garage and the glass has been cut bevelled polished and waterjet cutout for the external weir, plus the sump for ~$800 all in 15mm starphire, pretty good price i think. just sitting next to the timber for now wrapped up. Very happy with the dimensions, have some serious tank seperation anxiety seeing all the nice tanks on here lately.

Very minor changes with design to the sump.. going to go with 2 sections and may use a calcium reactor instead of dosing pumps if we can get a hold of reefers best salt next year. pretty excited about the new KZ distribution.

Bare with until this progresses! Ill get some pics up of building the tank when its done :)
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby wmackay » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 7:57 pm

800 for all that?! So good! Dw man it'll be worth it in the end!
Woodys 32x20x20 Reef
wmackay
RTAW Veteran Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Fri 30 Dec, 2011 7:03 pm

The curse of the fish tanks continues... My 1mx1m tank not going to fit Into our new apartment without looking silly, but approved by authority is a 6'x18"x13" rimless shallow tank, will light it up with 4x80w ati. The spot that's picked out is the best spot in the house, right in front of the lounge. Won't get told off for standing I front of the tank all night.

Stand is in the process of beig built, and the garage is now massive and half being turned into a fish qt and fishnerd room.
Glass Is on order but no straphire this time.

Have some ideas to play with, hoping to achieve something similar to daryn1 4x2x12.
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Re: Le Zeopool

Postby chriso316 » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:17 pm

Picked up the glass today for the new tank $180...pretty sweet.
150x45x37... water level at 33cm with a shallow sand bed, will use 3-5mm gravel so it stays in place.
was tossing up between a powermodule or a hanging canopy, opted for a canopy with diy 6x54w t5, dimmable ballasts, and geisemann reflectors. i will wire up some fans for cooling and also have some fans blow across the top of the water of the tank for cooling also.

I doubt im going to need a chiller with the fans, the low tank volume and the high surface area.

Stand frame should hopefully be complete this long weekend and i should also have the sump and tank put together too. Getting the laminex colour pallettes tomorrow to pick a colour. Should kick along soon
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Tue 24 Jan, 2012 10:33 pm

Quick sketch of the look it will have

And one of the lounge and colour scheme im try to follow, either a slate from the lounge or the grey blue from the painting for the stand colour... decisions!
Last edited by chriso316 on Fri 17 Feb, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby wmackay » Wed 25 Jan, 2012 7:25 am

Looking good man! Let me know if you need a hand with anything :thumbsup:
Woodys 32x20x20 Reef
wmackay
RTAW Veteran Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby vman » Fri 27 Jan, 2012 9:48 pm

um christmas is coming...................oh yeah um nice lounge room :wavey:
"better to have tried and failed than to have never tried and never known''
CHECK IT OUT GUYS AND LEAVE A COMMENT!! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oAQM-4e ... re=related
vman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Sat 28 Jan, 2012 12:31 pm

vman wrote:um christmas is coming...................oh yeah um nice lounge room :wavey:

sure is, the missus is even excited about getting the tank going again... new apartment is much more comfortable than the last. ill get a pic of the whole loungeroom when the tanks up, can watch all my fishnerd foxtel doccos and watch the fishtank at the same time... so good
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Sun 12 Feb, 2012 5:43 pm

Got around to building the sump and tank over the last week... few progress pics... excuse the quality I used my phone

Not real fussed about the sumps good looks, I'll clean it up a bit before I call it finished.

And a few of the tank, I haven't completely clean up the joins went thru a heap of razors cutting out the excess silicon and want to buy some more fresh ones to do a good job...

End view

Almost done...

Holes are drilled for the weir :pirate:

Seems like a seam

the long shot

Will install the overflow over the next day or so, get some acrylic cut and install that too. ill take some half decent photos then..

thanks for comin! :cheers:
Last edited by chriso316 on Wed 15 Feb, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby reefsecretsaquariums » Wed 15 Feb, 2012 3:26 pm

mmmmmmm ... im going to come along for the ride ;)
REEF SECRETS AQUARIUMS (07) 55356996
unit 2 number 9 Kortum Drive, Burleigh Heads . darren@reefsecrets.com.au
Reef Secrets Facebook Page
http://www.reefsecrets.com.au/

Australian Reefing Connection
EMAIL ME INSTEAD OF PMs IT FILLS UP TO QUICKLY. I CAN CHECK EMAILS FASTER.
I DONT WORK ON MONDAYS >>> ITS MY ONLY DAY OFF .
reefsecretsaquariums
MASA Partner
RTAW Registered Business
MASQ Supporter

Postby chriso316 » Wed 15 Feb, 2012 4:28 pm

reefsecretsaquariums wrote:mmmmmmm ... im going to come along for the ride ;)

:cheers:

Cut the timber for the stand today and will hopefully snag a couple of hours to build it tomorrow. the cuts were pretty bang on and it should assemble pretty snug.
Also cleaned up one half of the tanks seams with a super sharp carbide razor i found lying around, made mince meat of the scs1200... super sticky stuff. I'll finish it today sometime and get the overflow done tonight.

:wavey:
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Wed 15 Feb, 2012 4:53 pm

Trying to pick a colour... holy moly! Whats your favourite shade of grey or blue or red or green? :-s :madface:

And the proposed wall, which if you have a look at the lounge a few posts up and imagine the 1.2m x 1m tank that was originally going to be built sitting on that wall... heh. The stand being 850mm tall with the tank on top allows topdown viewing and was measured for the perfect viewing height sitting on the lounge. Getting excited. Dont mind my bottle I was doing some hard drinking after having a cuddle with ted on the floor
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby MeLLeR » Wed 15 Feb, 2012 6:05 pm

oh yeah. tagging along on this one! ;)

So good to see someone build their own tank and stand!n :thumbsup:

Choose your color well, you dont want to change your mind once it full :banghead:
MeLLeR
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 12:46 pm

MeLLeR wrote:oh yeah. tagging along on this one! ;)

So good to see someone build their own tank and stand!n :thumbsup:

Choose your color well, you dont want to change your mind once it full :banghead:

:worship:
It's a bit of fun and so far the tank and stand have cost me..
tank $189 + 2x $8.50 tubes of sc1200
sump $50
stand - timber and screws $70
just over $300 total.. so good... the cladding will be fairly cheap as a friend is getting me some hookups. ordering that on monday night :banana:

Got the stand frame built and just double checking some measurements for an electrical/profilux/macbookpro section ;) samesame but not the same to reefinthesky.
Will head to bunnings tomorrow pick up some white paint and some ply and goto town with the circular saw!

Few piccies

Proposed electrical cubbard

Made for it!
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby MeLLeR » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 1:02 pm

chriso316 wrote:Image

hmmm Stand looks good, but im a little concerned over the length of the span with no intermediate supports. Especially along the rear where there is a knot at the top...

are you going to brace the middle of the span?
MeLLeR
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 1:14 pm

No verticle supports. The knot snuck up on me once I stood the stand up late last night, didnt want to pull it apart so checked it out. the span of timber + 15mm ply for the actual weight of the the tank with water will be fine. I sat on that side for a good while with all my weight which works out to be over what it will hold once the tanks on and it didnt flex at all. The tank with water in it will only weigh 270kgs absolue without taking in displacement, alot less than most tanks.

A piece of ply will also be fixed to the back with cutouts to avoid humidity but give racking support and sound dampening. The opposite side of the electrical cabinet will also provide racking support from the laminex panel.

Alot of stands are wayy overbuilt, this stand is still overbuilt but slimline enough not to take away any cabinet space.
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby MeLLeR » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 3:03 pm

ahh, cool. Didnt realise that you were going to clad the back too, No probs then. :thumbsup:

Just thought id raise that as easier to change if you wanted now, rather than later :)
MeLLeR
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 5:36 pm

MeLLeR wrote:ahh, cool. Didnt realise that you were going to clad the back too, No probs then. :thumbsup:

Just thought id raise that as easier to change if you wanted now, rather than later :)

too right mate you spotted it quicker than I did ill pay that! :spit:

Had to sketchup the cabinet to get the measurements for bits and pieces and workout best order to install the electrical section, should look good. There is enough space to install 2x Profilux digital Power boards, and 1x 6socket standard powerboard for anything else I need.

The 2 Cylinders are for 2-part dosing and the tall container is the ATO, Sump is the other bit!

Overflow is in just needs to be covered. Won't be putting black acrylic along the whole back of the tank as I like seeing thru the tank and getting the reflection from the back glass and the optical illusion of the tank being bigger it gives.
The place infront of the overflow will be stagalley!

Time to go have a few :drink:
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Thu 23 Feb, 2012 9:33 pm

Got a little bit done today, built the electrical section and profilux compartment, came up pretty good. Just need to get some hinges and a catch to make a door to get to the back of the profilux box
tomorrow I hopefully will get the bottom ply in and back ply on, spakfilla the stand and let it dry to get sanded back and painted.

Filled the tank with water last sunday and no leaks, first fish tank diy...check. :clap: :-D
Having fun building stuff, and suggested a frag setup in the garage which the missus said would be cool... pumped! concentrate on getting this off the ground first up.
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby Dan » Fri 24 Feb, 2012 3:15 pm

Looking awesome mate, very well planned setup
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Scottief » Sun 26 Feb, 2012 8:25 pm

Hey Chris hows things mate? your build is coming along nicely I bet you can't wait to get back on the pony ;)
Scottief
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Sun 26 Feb, 2012 9:04 pm

Dan wrote:Looking awesome mate, very well planned setup

Cheers mate! Bit of sketchup and a tape measure made things fairly headache free with the limited space I have under the cabinet

Scottief wrote:Hey Chris hows things mate? your build is coming along nicely I bet you can't wait to get back on the pony ;)

Hey scott, going well man, little bub is tearing the house up keeping us busy. Feet are sooo itchy to get some salt water in the tank and stock it right up! I think your about due for an update in your tj too mate :poke:

Got the bottom ply in and bogged everything up, sanded back and painted it white today, tuesday I should get the top and back ply on, cut out the holes for various bits and pieces and can call the stand finished! So I'll save the pics til then
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 1:05 am

itt'sssss tiiiimmeeeeee. I've had bruce buffer on my mind after a guy named bruce at work walks around all day, i see him first everymorning and give it to him. i watch alot of dexter also.

Stand is being brought up from the garage on the weekend and laminex have a quiet patch to knock up my panels wapachangggg.. bought some black vinyl and laser cut perspex for the back of the tank. a bit of time to think and change my mind some more has come up with the idea of 5 fish only in the tank, all very crazy coloured, with a black background. going to put a narrow hood on this sucker and keep it looking sleek. im excited and you should be too.

im going to build the light over the weekend and make it bright. it will havea switch. i will havea beer, throw some easter eggs at little kids and watch the wood chopping.

berty beetle here i come.

my fishlist is going to look like this:
small blue tang
small majestic angel
a mystery wrasse
a flame angel
a green mandarin

when these fish get way to big i will move the mandarin and the flame angel to a bigger tank and let the rest duke it out
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby ryanrid » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 9:13 am

chriso316 wrote:itt'sssss tiiiimmeeeeee. I've had bruce buffer on my mind after a guy named bruce at work walks around all day, i see him first everymorning and give it to him. i watch alot of dexter also.

Stand is being brought up from the garage on the weekend and laminex have a quiet patch to knock up my panels wapachangggg.. bought some black vinyl and laser cut perspex for the back of the tank. a bit of time to think and change my mind some more has come up with the idea of 5 fish only in the tank, all very crazy coloured, with a black background. going to put a narrow hood on this sucker and keep it looking sleek. im excited and you should be too.

im going to build the light over the weekend and make it bright. it will havea switch. i will havea beer, throw some easter eggs at little kids and watch the wood chopping.

berty beetle here i come.

my fishlist is going to look like this:
small blue tang
small majestic angel
a mystery wrasse
a flame angel
a green mandarin

when these fish get way to big i will move the mandarin and the flame angel to a bigger tank and let the rest duke it out

haha best post of the year. :roflmao:
i am eggcited. :clap:
ryanrid

Postby chriso316 » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 9:31 am

:spit: eggcellent
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Tue 10 Apr, 2012 9:33 pm

Pics of the stand, waiting to get it brought up.... should be getting this puppy wet within the next week fingers crossed
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Tue 10 Apr, 2012 11:10 pm

stand is looking sweet! need photos of it all together :D
I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other

Dorz' 3x1.5x1.7 Modded Aquamarine 900!
Dorz' NEW 4x2.5x2' Automated Bucket!