• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

listen_to_slayer's simple sumpless 3x18x18

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

listen_to_slayer's simple sumpless 3x18x18

Postby listen_to_slayer » Sat 03 Sep, 2011 1:54 am

Introduction:

Hi Everyone, this is my new tank that is in the process of being set up. I recently downsized from a 6x2x2 due to moving out of home and needing something a bit smaller and cheaper to run. Initially I was planning on buying a RSM, but decided for only a little more cash I could make a system that would have way better gear. I have decided to run this tank without a sump due to the fact that whilst renting I would prefer to limit my chances of having a flood (yes I know the odds are tiny, and my old system had a sump and it was fantastic... which is why as soon as I buy a house I'll be getting a 3x2x2 with a sump :clap: )

System Objectives: To maintain a nice reef tank, I could never afford to fill my old 6 footer with corals.

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: December 2011-Jan 2012 hopefully

Display Tank: 3x18x18 - 6mm glass, black silicone without corner plastics

Display Lighting: 1x Orphek PR-156W (120W) - 60:40 (W:B) with 4 UV/Violet diodes. (waiting for it to be delivered)

Stand: 900mm high cabinet that will be as neat as possible. Socket outlets installed in cabinet with only 1 lead coming out of the cabinet and being plugged in

Hood: 350mm high hood, which will probably just have a reactor mounted in it with some GFO/Carbon if needed

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: 2x tunze 6055 pumps with a USB multicontroller - still to order

Skimmer: Tunze 9006 - still to order

Evaporation Top Up: Tunze Osmolator - still to order

Fish Wish list:

Midas Blenny
Royal Gramma
Flame Angel
MAYBE some Banggai Cardinals (not sure if the flame angel would chase these guys around)

Tank as it stands at the moment, cabinet and hood will be stained

doors open with the light on

The only power cord coming from the cabinet

I have the power
listen_to_slayer
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: listen_to_slayer's simple sumpless 3x18x18

Postby ReefEscape » Sat 03 Sep, 2011 12:42 pm

looking good, iv been looking into leds why did you go with the Orphek light?
ReefEscape
Bicentenary Reefer
QLD Reefer

Postby listen_to_slayer » Sat 03 Sep, 2011 1:01 pm

I went with Orphek because their LED's aren't off the shelf diodes like CREE, don't get me wrong, CREE are fantastic quality but the thing I like about Orphek is that their diodes have been specifically designed for reef tanks. The model I purchased also uses 120 degree optics which means one unit should give me enough spread on the tank. And finally the Orphek unit was considerably cheaper than any of the other 'high end' lighting systems, it was just over half the price of a 12" model Vertex and still a few hundred less than all of the others.

I'll be putting the Orphek light over a 2(L)x1(W)x18(H) until this setup is ready so as soon as it arrives I'll post some photos and log some growth rates of corals.
listen_to_slayer
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby axela » Tue 06 Mar, 2012 12:18 am

any updates man?
Starfire Aquatics - Visit our Facebook page
axela
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)