• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Heaths 4x2x2 now with LED

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Heaths 4x2x2 now with LED

Postby Phenom » Wed 06 Jul, 2011 11:00 pm

Introduction:
I have just posted up my first Tank Journal the other day, and i am actually planning on the second system already. I had been planning on a 6x2x2, however, this just isnt feasable for the time being. So i have finally convinced the Mrs to let me look into setting up a 4x2x2, only a little bit bigger than i have now, but it wont take up any more space length wise so no moving the house around to accomodate the tank.

Basically, i have pretty much the fish that i want, minus a goby and cleaner wrasse, any would like to have that little bit of extra room in there for what i already have in the 4x1.5x1.75. I am looking at changin away from the Aqua One MH-1200 light unit that i have at the moment and across the a 8x54 4 foot T5HO unit. I know this will bring on some conjecture and everyone has their individual views, and i am open to comments, dont think i'm not, just have decided that with the amount of extra heat they give out and power consumption, and the fact that my current unit uses 2 x 150 MH and 4 x 24w compact fluros, I'm not happy with it. Plus its slowly on it's way out. The Compacts are playing up and probably need to get rid of it sooner rather than later.

Main objective of this tank, is to give me that little bit more room inside the tank, a little more swimming room for the fish as i am planning on a completely different aquascape to what my current 4 footer looks like. I have learnt a lot about how i should and shouldnt be running the scaping after having my current one the way it is. I have learnt so much along the way about flow designs in the tank, and where to position the wave makers and return lines. My first tank has been great and now i think i am on to get serious about the whole system. (maybe take out a TOTM sometime in the next couple years :devil: ) Hey have to shoot for the stars dont we all?

Thanks for reading guys and girls, would welcome all feedback and questions about anything to do with the system. Will keep everyone updated with pics and info from the stand build to it getting wet :)

System Objectives: What is the end result going to be?

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: December 2011

Display Tank: Display tank specifications.

Display Lighting: maxspect Razor 160watt 10000K

Stand: Custom

Hood: Custom open hood

Sump: 3 x ? x?

Refugium: Unsure about this, but more than likely with DSB

Refugium Lighting: T5 2 foot 3 bulb

Support systems:

System Water: ASW (Red Sea Coral Pro)

Display Water circulation: MP60WES Master with MP40W slave

Return Pump:3200 lph pondmaster

Skimmer: Deltec

Evaporation Top Up: Manual at first, however will be auto sooner rather than later

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Randy's formula

Alkilinity Addition: Randy's formula

Other Chemical Maintenance: as needed (have Red Sea gear already here)

Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

Would love some feedback on what people think of this, especially the lighting.
Last edited by Phenom on Mon 14 Jan, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Heaths T5 4x2x2

To get thine ends, lay bashfulness aside; Who fears to ask, doth teach to be deny'd.
Robert Herrick (1591 – 1674)

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.
Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: Heaths T5 4x2x2 project

Postby Daz the reefo » Tue 12 Jul, 2011 12:12 am

Hi Heath, good to see another 4footer in the mix, I'd have to agree with you in regards to more room in the tank (smarter aquascaping) as i was a little nieve when I scaped and placed too much LR in the Display and didn't allow for growth of corals and flow etc.
I guess being at this early stage is a great place to start planning exactly what you want to thrive in your tank and build a support system around it. by the looks of your lighting choice 400 odd watts of lighting would be overkill for Fish only with some softies etc. but if your planning to stock it with all types of coral i think it's a great choice, apart from possibly LED/Halide etc.
2 MP40's is a great choice of pumps i love em in my tank.
i think one thing that you may be short on is the return pump if you factor in head height you may be a little slow in turn over in the sump.
and i'm sure you've thought of it but naturally with chilly weather in Canberra a couple of good heaters.

look forward to seeing some pics soon
Reefing Rulz

Daz's Reefing Adventure 4x2x2 ATI (Now closed down)
Daz the reefo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Phenom » Thu 14 Jul, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks for the comments Daz.

The choice in lighting is just a starting point. I will enventually get into the LED's. I have chosen this particual type of T5 setup as with the 8 bulb fixture, i should have enough light to grow SPS as well as what i already have.

I am getting the stand custom built by another member here in Canberra, and his work is absolutly amazing. Just going with a black stand and hood, and with the T5 lighting i can have a crown style hood, which is what the Mrs is really after, doesnt like the look of the open top. She doesnt care if the top of the hood is open, just really doesnt like the look of the top of the glass and seeing into the water, plus like most i end up putting things on the top of the main cross brace as a storage point for my container that i use to feed the fish and so on.

I am looking at getting this tank off the ground soon, so i will keep updating as i go along with the stand build through to getting the bits and pieces. The good part is that i have a heap of base rock that i am planning on using to make the majority of the aquascape, as i currently have a small aptasia problem in my DT. (came with some live rock) So that needs to be sorted out. I think there is only one piece of rock that i have corals on at the moment that has some on there, but i am hoping that i will be able to treat them with lemon juice and get rid of them before the new tank is ready to go.

The lights will be a good gauge for things on my current DT as i really want to get rid of the current light i have, its an Aqua One MG1200, which has served me well over the last 16 months, but, its time to upgrade and move on to better things as i am really looking forward to starting to get into some of the SPS. I tried once before, but it was really early on in the piece and i killed a monti and a brain, so i gave up and just stuck with the softies. I have got some really nice mushies growning and they have divided and divided and divided again, so they are realy happy, which is good :clap:

Thanks for reading
Heaths T5 4x2x2

To get thine ends, lay bashfulness aside; Who fears to ask, doth teach to be deny'd.

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby MeLLeR » Thu 14 Jul, 2011 6:45 pm

Alright Buddy!! About time we stopped pondering this and actually did it huh!!! Lets get this baby rolling!! :clap:

PM Sent :cheers:
MeLLeR
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Phenom » Thu 14 Jul, 2011 10:08 pm

:poke: I know I needed one of those.

With the cars playing up recently, everything sort of ended up in the air. If I can do it as cheap as possible but right is the thing. Am going T5's for lighting and will be getting an 8 bulb unit but the good thing is that it runs on 4 power cables so I can use timers on the 4 channels for good control of the lighting and run a sunrise/sunset style with the tank.

Am thinking that I really need a dosing pump as well but that will have to wait. Might be able to set up a DIY drip system???

Got ya PM. Will let you know ASAP mate as I want to get this project rolling. Am thinking about using a heap of my base rock for scaping and just keeping the rock with corals attached for the new build although I have a few morphs I need to get of some rock, anyone got good advice how to achieve this without updating them too much???
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Phenom » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 9:22 pm

Ok,

SO some news on the project front.

Tank was paid for today. Need to get it picked up and drilled. I want to look at what Daz has done with his return and overflow/external setup?

Daz, exactly what did you do?

Next thing to order, either tonight or tomorrow or monday is the lighting unit.

On another front, i did buy myself my first SPS today. Have it in my current tank, will have to see how it goes in there under the current halide setup and the new T5 HO setup.

Thanks for reading.
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Phenom » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 2:09 pm

So i have been doing a lot of reading :book: after a gentle nudge from a friend, and i have decided that i am going to go with.....

Full Coast to Coast Calfo with full beananimal setup.

This is a new setup design for me, as i have never had a tank with this sort of wier system. From what i have been reading, it not only offers an almost failsafe system in regards to flooding, and it will give me the maximum surface skim that i can get from the tank.

I am really looking forward to setting up this system. Should be a ripper once its going.

An addition that i will have to the system will be a second mp40w. running these 2 will give me plenty of flow within the tank, and with the 900gph return, should be sitting pretty with the flow and return flow.

Question i have out to anyone out there, is have you run a calfo with beananimal directly into the skimmer? THis is the only issue that we are trying to work out, will i get the same if i have the system running the primary and secondary into the skimmer or am i going to have to run it through a second pump from the sump into the skimmer?
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby MeLLeR » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 7:42 pm

Hey, just did some thinking on this and you'll want to run the skimmer from a branch taken off from the full syphon line.

a) The full syphon line is going to run 100% water, no air. So no excess air bubbles will be fed into skimmer body, causing that God aweful air hammer 'clunking' noise. One thing i hated about my last setup.

b) The full syphon line (when run in 20mm P/P) will EASILY handle the full 3700l/hr the return pump is going to feed the system at (and we will have to tune it down nearly halfway as per a normal beananimal design with the same cycle rate). We'll then put a ball valve in the skimmer branch line prior to the skimmer supply, so once the overflow syphon has been tuned and the beananimal stabilises, we can then fine tune the skimmer feed rate to tune the skimmer only. ;)

c) This setup will enable you to keep the durso and emergency overflow as independant lines. In operation the Durso wont have much water going through it. But in an emergency it will take on full syphon duties. In this case, the skimmer wont be getting fed-so no floods from the skimmer :)

d) With the skimmer being fed from a branch AFTER the Syphon tuning valve, the fine tuning of the skimmer supply rate wont affect the Syphons normal working rate and an adjustment to one isnt going to affect the other, if you know what i mean? So basically, it'll still be piss easy to tune and forget.

HTH

Edited: 'cause I hate it when i see my own glaring grammatical errors. Grrrr..yaahhhh
MeLLeR
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Phenom » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 8:11 pm

Thanks for that mate.

Sounds like you are doing all the leg work for me. Sorry for that. Still understanding what is the best possible setup, but once it's up and running then we should be looking good.

Just need to sort out the final design on the stand with you mate, and then we are in business for a setup.

Can't wait to go from the standard 4 footer to this 4x2x2 :cheers: for all the hard work mate.
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby MeLLeR » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 8:34 pm

NP ;) it gives me something to do while i am tankless :(

Sorry for taking control of your project mate. I'll do up some sketches for you asap (sorry, been distracted with big family news yesterday)
MeLLeR
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Phenom » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 9:03 am

Dont stress mate.

Thanks for all your help. I hadnt thought too much about a calfo weir until you mentioned it to me on the phone, then started reading more and more, and i like the design, and the fact that it hides away well when looking into the tank.

Just need to find some acrylic to overlay on it now as well as some for the back of the tank. hmmm anyone know where i can find acrylic sheets in Canberra?

Ok so the tank is ready to be picked up, just need to do the modifications to it, and it will be all set. Sump, i am going to convert my old 3 foot standard into my sump, with an external skimmer, this should be more than enough room, hopefully.

So now just to get the extra pieces of glass for the calfo, and the baffles for the sump.

Idea for sump will be as follows
Chamber 1 feed from skimmer and overflow
Chamber 2 DSB / fuge
Chamber 3 TBA
Chamber 4 Return pump

I wanted to have a spare section for the possibility of running a reactor if needed but not 100% about this.

Thoughts? Questions? Queries?
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby GunmetlFairmont » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 9:10 am

Who's building your stand and hood?
GunmetlFairmont
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Phenom » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 9:18 am

Meller

Have seen his work and we have dicussed what i am after in regards to the design.

So its just a matter of implementation of design to fit the 4x2x2. Had originally designed around a 6x2x2 but after discussions with the better half aka minister for war and finance, we have decided not to go that big until we buy our own place, (Fair Call)
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby MeLLeR » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 10:57 am

Hey, we will need to discuss how we are hiding your calfo plumbing now Ive decided on that route for you :devil: :devil: So i can allow for it in the design sketches ;)
Im aiming to start getting this thing built on Saturday??
MeLLeR
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Phenom » Mon 18 Jul, 2011 11:22 am

You are a good man.

Will help out where I can mate.
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Phenom » Tue 19 Jul, 2011 10:25 am

So i have decided that the calfo will drain from the back right hand side.

I am planning on having it over this side to accomodate the skimmer better, and with the back of the cabinet as a solid piece, we are going to have to run a few 45 angles in the pipework so that it is able to get under the tank to the sump and skimmer.

I am planning on having all my wirering hidden up under the tank as well this time to try and tidy things up a lot.
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby MeLLeR » Tue 19 Jul, 2011 4:48 pm

Some graphics while the renders...um....render?

MeLLeR
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby MeLLeR » Tue 19 Jul, 2011 5:27 pm

And now the obligitary to all TJ's: the Renders

MeLLeR
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Phenom » Tue 19 Jul, 2011 6:18 pm

Those renders and sketches look great mate.

Thanks for putting the design together.
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby MeLLeR » Wed 20 Jul, 2011 9:02 pm

I had a few spare hours today, so I started construction of the stand. Hers some stand progress pics for Heath to drool over.

MeLLeR
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Phenom » Wed 20 Jul, 2011 10:19 pm

Mmmmm framey goodness.

I am thinking that I am going to have to call this project

"Heath's Project 4x2x2 built by Meller"

Looks great mate. You weren't wrong when you said when you get an idea, you're like a dog with a bone.

Will pick up the 2pack paints tomorrow.
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Phenom » Thu 21 Jul, 2011 8:44 am

It is beginning to look like my new tank is going to be completed much sooner than anticipated :clap: Thanks to the mighty efforts of Meller.

Next steps will have to be to get the tank and get it drilled and the wier in place.

Can anyone tell me what the best paint is to use to paint the back of the glass? I am looking at painting it blue, but am unsure of just standard acrylic paint will be ok or if i am going to need to have a specific type of acrylic paint?

Anyone help me out on this one?

Need to order my new light unit soon, hmmmm to get the minister for war and finance on board with that one???? :sneaky:

After cleaning out my old skimmers pump last night i realised just how much gunk can build up in such a short space in time, really cant wait to get the new Marine sources skimmer up and running on this new setup, so much bigger and well hopefully so much more it is going to skim out of the water, plus with haveing it fed directly from the tank should make things a little better i am hoping.

Myself or Meller will keep the pics coming of the rest of the build, and as it goes into place. Hard part is going to be moving the old one out and having to put all my :clownfish: into holding tanks for the transition across to the new tank.
:scared:

Thanks for reading everyone, and thanks to Daz for the initial idea of the beananimal overflow.
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Phenom » Thu 21 Jul, 2011 9:37 pm

So today saw a trip to the paint supplier and to get the fittings for the overflow and return setup.

1 tin of 2 pak black
1 tin of 2 pak white (for inside the cabinet)

Got the bulkheads, threaded t pieces, ball valves and all the connecting pieces.

Things are starting to come together. Frame is nearly ready to be painted, timber for the cladding is ready to be cut and this project is fast going from project to concept.

Have still got to order my light fixture, but that will only take a few days to arrive so it is on the list but not at the top of the heap at the moment.

Can't wait to see what the final setup is going to look like as it's going to be beautiful.
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby MeLLeR » Sat 23 Jul, 2011 8:34 pm

Quick update for Heaths sake, nothing major but finished the last of the welding by adding the angle tabs for the cladding to secure to. Primed the stand and got the cladding test fit. Heres the result so far:

thats all i have time for for a coupla days. Cause my new tank gets picked up tomoz!!
MeLLeR
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Phenom » Sun 24 Jul, 2011 8:28 pm

So i was over, saw the stand in production and its looking great. Really big thanks to Meller :cheers:

So with the final bits and pieces decided on with regards to the stand like where the electrical cables will run, and the likes, now its just the painting left. Oh and actually getting the tank and modifying it.

So i have decidced on the CTC Calfo, which has been decided for a bit now. All the plumbing fittings are purchased, man bulkheads aren't cheap.

Am having a bit of a an issue with my mind at the moment. I am thinking that the T5 setup is going to be cheaper to purchase the initial setup, however, i have started thinking about LED's.........

Larger initial outlay, but less power, no replacing bulbs every 6-12 months, I can afford to go springing for ones such as the Vertex systems, although i would probably give my left .... for one. But i am looking at maybe a couple of 120w BSLED style LED lights. I am thinking that i can run each channel off a seperate timer for greater control, and after the warranty has expired, i have a few guys i work with that i can get to put in a dimable driver for them. Might even be able to get them to talk with the software engineers to write me a custom programable box to run them all too :nut: might be asking a bit much haha.

So i am putting the call out to anyone that has BSLED type LED's running on their system, and would love to hear how you find them.

On another note, i am going to be running a fluid bed filter with rowaphos in the sump, and looking seriously at running a 7 pump Bubble magnus dosing setup. Upset that i missed out on the GB. Although if anyone has a setup that doesnt want it anymore, let me know :) very interested...

Well thats another update for you all, am guessing that it will be another couple weeks until the system is gully fitted out and in a position to be put into the house.

Oh 1 final note, i am thinking of running a blue backgroud on the tnak, or black, what do people think is the cleaner looking background? Remembering that i am running a gloss black stand hood...

Thanks for reading. :cheers:

H
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Phenom » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 12:12 pm

Latest update,

I have recieved approval for the new lighting unit, So this morning i ordered my 8x54 T5 HO light fitting from Guppies.

Its not the ATI powermodule, couldnt get that much out the door lol.

But its a good start. I will start changing out soem of the bulbs once i get it at home and i have been reading a lot about the best combinations for growth and look and understanding that i will need to NOT run all 8 bulbs when i get it in so not to go cooking any of my corals that i already have.

So now to see if Guppies were able to get it on the truck this morning, Said he was going to try :crossfingers: it will be loaded and make it to Canberra by tomorrow, not holding my breath but hey, you never know your luck in the big city :roflmao: well small city as Canberra might be.

I have started playing around with the base rock i have at home for a new aquascape design, and its not looking too bad so far, hard part is figuring out how to incorporate the rock i have with corals already browing on them into the design lol.

Thanks for reading
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Phenom » Fri 29 Jul, 2011 11:19 pm

Just a basic update.

I have been able to get some of my morphs off my main rocks that are in my current DT. So first steps are going well.

Have found out that my light unit is somewhere between the Gold Coast and Canberra..... hmmmm left there yesterday at 1330hrs and still hadnt made it to Canberra.... maybe it will get here overnight and i will be able to pick it up tomorrow..... wishful thinking.

I am thinking more and more about heading down the SPS path, i have 1 in my tank currently, and well i am thinking more and more about getting more once the new tank is up and running.

ANy advice on SPS would be welcomed :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading

Heath
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Phenom » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 1:16 am

Quick update.

Tank was picked up today. 4 feet of soon to be salty goodness.

So pretty much all the pieces are either on their way or already here.

Saw mellers new tank today, looks really good, and with the addition of some pods, snails and a few little starfish that I dropped around, it is looking better :roflmao:

Will post up some pics soon of the new light unit once it arrives.
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Phenom » Sun 31 Jul, 2011 1:16 am

Quick update.

Tank was picked up today. 4 feet of soon to be salty goodness.

So pretty much all the pieces are either on their way or already here.

Saw mellers new tank today, looks really good, and with the addition of some pods, snails and a few little starfish that I dropped around, it is looking better :roflmao:

Will post up some pics soon of the new light unit once it arrives.
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Phenom » Fri 05 Aug, 2011 9:29 pm

Just an update.

My T5 lights arrived. Still need to get a few bulbs for it before the new tank, its actually so bright over my current tank that i have only 4 bulbs running at the moment. And with 4 running, its amazing the colors that i am seeing in my tank. Cant wait to get the right mix of the ATI bulbs in there in a few weeks time.

New stand is coming along really well, and i have to send out a massive thank you to Greg for the build, he has been working crazy hours and has still managed to get 6 coats of white on the frame and the inside of the panels. Its looking really good, just the black on the outside to go and we are in business.

I am going to be running blue vinyl on the back of the tank and the inside of the calfo to hif its appearance. Seriously cant wait to get the new tank setup, although little worried about how its all going to go together, but i guess when we have the tank, the plumbing pieces, the stand is almost done, the new light unit, the newish skimmer, its pretty much almost ready to go.

I have also decided that its going to be an SPS dominated tank, i have been falling in love with the colors that everyone is getting, so all my softies will either be sold or put into my nano that i have currently running. On that note, i managed to get hold of a RedSea Max 130 for $100 all it needs is a new skimmer pump, so i may upgrade to a tunze skimmer as i have read and been told that there is one that will fit straight in thats quieter and better than the Red Sea prism skimmer that is fitted.

One another note, i have decided that i am going to be trying out the entire Red Sea reef care program, from reading peoples results, and the fact that it costs a lot less than Zeo and people seem to be getting great results. So as soon as Guppies has more stock of the dosing pumps in, that will be the next buy for me, so a 3 channel control unit plus 1 4 channel expansion should be enough, if need be, i can run a second 4 channel expansion on there as well. So wait and see.

So a couple more weeks and we will be in business, Greg is doing an amazing job on the stand and once the black is sprayed, i will ahve more pics for everyone.

Thanks for reading.
Heaths T5 4x2x2

Phenom
Bicentenary Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)