• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Mr Reefer's RSM 130 FRANKENSTEIN - TOTM JULY 2012

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Mr Reefer's RSM 130 FRANKENSTEIN - TOTM JULY 2012

Postby Mr Reefer » Tue 31 May, 2011 11:45 am

Introduction:
After years of being out of the hobby and planning a comeback I have finally taken the plunge so to speak and brought myself a very well priced used Red Sea Max 130. To cut a long story short I got married in 2009 and in the leadup sold my 3ft Discus display aquarium that I had running for 12 months with the intention of coming back from our 3 week honeymoon and putting effort into setting up a fully cusom ground up marine system. I had previously had 2 2ft marine aquariums over the span of 3 or 4 years beforehand and was getting itchy feet to go back. On our honeymoon I found out my sister who already had cancer stemming from a melanoma, had approx 3 months left to live and on our return she passed away within a month and a half, and I totally lost interest in alot of hobbies I had, aquariums included. A few months later my wife fell pregnant and now that I have a gorgeous 10 month old baby girl, I started getting itchy feet for the salt water again, and she loves to watch fish too so it was a perfect excuse to get back into it. After years of planning and months of watching classifieds and deciding which way to go about it and how big to go etc, I stumbled across a very well priced RSM 130 and thought, what the hell, its not exactly what I was after but I'll make it work. So here I am, back again!

System Objectives:
To setup a very self sufficient RSM and modify the crap out of it to make it run how it should be run.

System Type:
A bit of everything in the end hopefully, obviously just on a smaller scale.

Display System:
Red Sea Max 130

Strike up Date:
24th August 2011

Display Tank:
610 x 500 x 500

Display Lighting:
100W LED 50/50 Blue/White with custom hood - optics now removed from LED's to give more even spread.

Stand:
Stock RSM 130 2-pack painted gloss black (was originally silver from factory).

Hood:
Custom made black acrylic

Sump:
N/A

Support systems:

System Water:
Natural salt water

Display Water circulation:
Stock RSM twin circulation pumps (2 x 500L/H), Tunze Nanostream 6015, Hydor Koralia Nano 1600 (about 4400 LPH of flow total)

Return Pump:
NA

Skimmer:
Tunze 9002 - custom made skimmer cup & airline modded

Evaporation Top Up:
Tunze Osmolator with custom made acrylic RO reservior

Chemical Support:

Calcium and Alkilinity Addition:
Marine Magic x3 Dosing Pump to dose Ca, Alk & Vodka Daily

Other Chemical Maintenance:
Seachem Reef Iodide + Korallen Zucht Amino Acid Concentrate + Korallen Zucht Reef Snow
Vodka Dosing Daily (about 1.0mL)

Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates: 0 (undetectable my kit)
Phosphates: 0.00ppm (Hanna Checker) - Vodka dosing
Alkalinity: 9.5dkH
Calcium: 440ppm
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.024
Magnesuim: 1350ppm

Livestock:
1 x Onyx Clown
1 x Ultra Coral Beauty
1 x Flame Hawkfish
1 x Mandarin Dragonet (Green Mandarin)
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Blue Tang
A few Trochus & Turbo Snails, and a Stromb.
Several Acro Crabs in all the acro
Pistol Shrimp (in there somewhere)

Pictures (Current FTS):
Last edited by Mr Reefer on Sun 30 Jun, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Re: Mr Reefer's RSM 130 FRANKENSTEIN

Postby xGSiR » Thu 02 Jun, 2011 4:03 pm

Unfortunate to hear your situation, but its also great to see for you to bounce back and get into the hobby.

Wish you all the best. Just becareful, your going to be tempted to upgrade to a larger tank after having the RSM 130 for a while.
xGSiR
Curious Reefer

Postby Mr Reefer » Fri 03 Jun, 2011 10:01 pm

xGSiR wrote:Unfortunate to hear your situation, but its also great to see for you to bounce back and get into the hobby.

Wish you all the best. Just becareful, your going to be tempted to upgrade to a larger tank after having the RSM 130 for a while.

I know what you mean xGSiR - but I think I will be happy with the RSM for a couple of years at least. Having a 10 month old means the budget gets tightened up a bit so having a smaller setup suits me fine for the time being. Going bigger was always going to be on the cards in due time.

A quick update...

Picked up the RSM on Thursday, also came with the following...

Jebo UV Steraliser (probably won't use it but may keep it just incase)
Teco TR5 Chiller - yet to test it but have been assured it works fine
At least 5 or 6 pumps of assorted sizes
Red Sea Substrate
Few other bits and pieces here and there that the previous owner just threw in

I have stripped the tank and masked it up as I am 2-pack painting all the plastic parts gloss black (its a silver RSM and I hate that colour so the tank and stand are being painted).

Through stripping the tank down I tested everything to see what is working and what isn't. One of the 2 return pumps is stuffed so i will get a new one from The Reef Shop. I will also get the surface skimmer attachment at the same time. The pump on the stock skimmer seems really underpowered - I think its stuffed or well on the way, so rather than buy a new pump for $105 I will try and track down a second hand Tunze 9002 skimmer, or wait 2 weeks and get one from The Reef Shop.

Other than that all seems good. I will spray the silver tank parts next week and then fill it and check for any leaks just to be safe. I will also take some pics of progress and get them up.

After I get the tank components all going 100% again, I will decide what sort of LED lighting I want to use and start planning that step.

Will keep the updates coming as they eventuate. Its my daughter's 1st birthday in a little less than 2 months time, so I am aiming to have the RSM pretty much done and running by then fingers crossed. :crossfingers:
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby kj52faith » Fri 03 Jun, 2011 11:33 pm

use the uv man. There really good if it suits your tank
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Mr Reefer » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 12:33 pm

Quick update...

Yesterday I ordered the replacement circulation pump I needed, as well as a surface skimmer attachment and accessory kit to hook up the chiller and UV - all from Paul @ The Reef Shop.

Also, picked up a used but well cared for Tunze 9002 skimmer to replace the stock item.

Cabinet has been dismantled and will be getting 2-pack sprayed gloss black either this arvo or tomorrow arvo hopefully, as will the silver sections on the tank itself.

Will try to update pics over the weekend when I have more interesting things to show.
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Re: Mr Reefer's RSM 130 FRANKENSTEIN - PICS ADDED

Postby Mr Reefer » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 11:13 am

Okay so yesterday I finished 2-pack painting the cabinet and tank - I didn't spray the hood as I am doing away with that and making a custom unit to house LED lighting.

Attached are some long overdue pics...

Tank all masked up behind my desk at work...

Tunze 9002 skimmer dismantled and being cleaned...

All cabinet parts dismantled and laid out for spraying - happy with the results came out as I had hoped for...

Paint finish on the door...

After the paint had cured I decided I should fill the tank and check for leaks, and also run a pump in it over the long weekend at work to make sure she runs fine over a few days...

Next week I will start on the hood and hopefully my replacement parts from The Reef Shop will show up soon.

I am also making my own media basket basically a replication of the inTank design - the joys of working in a sign shop and having acrylic, a cnc router cutter and the software to make my own bits and pieces, makes life a bit easier and less stress on the back pocket.

I have already cut all the parts Friday arvo and will glue the media basket up next week and pre-fit the tunze skimmer to it and see how it fits.

Stay tuned!
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Mr Reefer » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 10:28 pm

A quick update before the weekend...

Brought a 2nd hand Tunze 6025 for added circulation in the tank. Great condition and works a treat so thats another thing ticked off the list.

Also, working as a graphic designer for a sign company means I have the perks of using some cool software and equipment, so I created a cut list for a Steve T style media basket, and got it all router cut, then I glued it all up this afternoon. Fits like a glove and should work beautifully - will also create the perfect mounting point for the Tunze 9002 skimmer.

I have an RDO on Monday but will be going into work all day anyway to get alot done on the tank so I can hopefully bring it all home sooner rather than later.

I will no doubt have alot of pics to upload Monday night, stay tuned...
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby kj52faith » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 10:36 pm

ahhh looks good! Very clean cuts and excellent paint work. IS that acrylic for the media? How are you going about stuffing everything in the back of the tank?
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Mr Reefer » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 10:08 am

kj52faith wrote:ahhh looks good! Very clean cuts and excellent paint work. IS that acrylic for the media? How are you going about stuffing everything in the back of the tank?

Thanks mate - the clean cuts are thanks to the cnc router cutter, the beauty and advantage of computerized machinery!

All media gets put into bags and then into the shelves on the media rack, it then gets slid into the back filtration compartment of the RSM. The top will have filter floss or a cut to size sponge, second layer will probably be purigen and the third chemipure. Should work really well and it fits like a glove.

Cheers for the paint comment, I try my best! I've been spray painting on and off for over half my life now so I've well and truly hot the hang of it I think! ;)
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby kj52faith » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 10:12 am

Great, with circulation in the tank are you going to have anything else to aid? Also what type of substrate and how much liverock?
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Mr Reefer » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 10:38 am

kj52faith wrote:Great, with circulation in the tank are you going to have anything else to aid? Also what type of substrate and how much liverock?

Just the Tunze 6025 to help with added circulation, should be plenty I'm thinking in conjunction with the return pumps.

Substrate wise I have a bucket of Red Sea substrate that the old owner threw in with the deal, I'm undecided as to whether I will use this or some aragonite. Will have to make my mind up soon!

Liverock is a bridge I will have to cross when I get there. I hate tanks of this size and type that have way too much liverock in them, and the look I'm going for is a sort of bonsai 'ish' look, with shelved off sections of rock to create dramatic shadow sections. Sounds weird when I say it but I know what I mean in my head! But yeah I have no definitive idea of how much liverock in total I will have in the end.
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby kj52faith » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 11:25 am

I know exactly what you mean. Ive been looking intot hat look also. I hate build up and packed in areas full to the brim of live rock but not corals. Just a tip with the substrate since you gong to have a good amount of flow in their you probably want 5mm sand so it doenst get stirred up. :thumbsup: When the sps if you do get sps. Grow out they can achieve this shadowy look
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Mr Reefer » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 4:37 pm

Well I spent most of today on my RDO but at work doing things here and there to the RSM Frankenstein. I really wanted to get stuck into the custom hood but didn't have time - pretty happy with what I managed to get done though.

Some goodies arrived first thing this morning...

Custom made skimmer cup (inspired by Steve T's cup), using the neck of the stock skimmer, well most of it anyway...

And installed along with all the RSM goodies...

Cabinet assembled after painting...

Drilled 2 x 60mm holes to allow fresh air to come up from the bottom of the cabinet to the chiller...

And with the chiller & uv steraliser in place. Note the large space to the RHS of the chiller, I'm planning on putting an ATO resevoir here eventually...

I will keep the pics coming as the RSM Frankenstein progresses.
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Re: Mr Reefer's RSM 130 FRANKENSTEIN - PICS GALORE!!

Postby kj52faith » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 5:10 pm

THats pimp as bud haha I love it. Are you going to have a sump at all?
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Mr Reefer » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks mate - I'm a DIY nut so I love to mod the crap outta things where I can, to make them better of course!

I was originally going to run a sump, but then decided against it for 2 reasons...

1. Didn't want to drill the tank anywhere.
2. If I didn't drill the tank I would have to make a failsafe overflow and that would take up alot of space at the back of the tank, and I wanted this tank to sit as close to the wall as possible. The only thing that will stop this sitting almost flush to the wall is the chiller hose but thats only 25mm or so and I can live with that.
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Neakit » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 5:33 pm

I may be wrong but i think i remember reading somewhere that the rsm are made of toughened glass, so drilling would be out.
Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
Neakit
Veteran Reefer

Postby Mr Reefer » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 5:40 pm

You're probably right - all the more reason not to do it! :)
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby kj52faith » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 7:21 pm

Yes, overflows are bulky pieces of crap. I love how youve modded it really neatly. Also I wouldn't waist your money on carbon and phosphate removers. If you have adequet waterflow and your rock has good amount of flow around it so no detirius builds up, then you will be laughing. Just a tip. Btw Love you avatar!!
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Mr Reefer » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 8:43 pm

The plan to run Biochem & Chemipure came from the recommendation on Steve T's website. I've never used either of them and to be honest I've never really used anything other than bio balls on my old tanks (back 10 years ago when they were the norm, big no no now!)

I'm sure I will have a good amount of flow, what would you recommend I run in the media basket in your opinion?

Haha thanks for the comment on the avatar, I love it too. Being a graphic designer means I can create cool things in Photoshop like Mandarin Clowns! ;)
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby funkngroovy » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 10:26 pm

looks great.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 8:52 am

Mr Reefer wrote:The plan to run Biochem & Chemipure came from the recommendation on Steve T's website. I've never used either of them and to be honest I've never really used anything other than bio balls on my old tanks (back 10 years ago when they were the norm, big no no now!)

I'm sure I will have a good amount of flow, what would you recommend I run in the media basket in your opinion?

Haha thanks for the comment on the avatar, I love it too. Being a graphic designer means I can create cool things in Photoshop like Mandarin Clowns! ;)

Sick I want to learn graphics design. With regard to media, Use seachem Matrix and let the tank cycle and use chemipure and bio chem after the cycle has finished and when you run out of chemipure and bio chem take them out. Your tunze skimmer should be the heart of the filteration and the liverock along with the matrix. You can use the space in your media basket to add things when necessary. Chemipure seems like a great product. ive used bio chem. I don't think it's necessary unless your water is cloudy for some reason. Some guys use carbon or bio chem monthly say for a weekend. The skimmer removes all of these pollutants so there is no need for these products. You can use the space in the media basket for more matrix and adding phosphate removal when necessary. :tongue:
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 8:57 am

Also run seachem purigen and matrix. There the two products that i would run.
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Mr Reefer » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 3:03 pm

I had a look into Seachem Purigen & Matrix - they both look good so I think I will give them a go.
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby mattgreen » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 6:59 pm

this will look great! paint on the stand looks great
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 7:56 pm

Mr Reefer wrote:I had a look into Seachem Purigen & Matrix - they both look good so I think I will give them a go.

yeah matrix is great for denitrifying nad not building up nitrates. Purigen is great because you can restablish it.
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Mr Reefer » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:56 am

Just a quick update...

Started on the custom hood on Thursday arvo at work, and on Thursday also ordered a 100W LED Reef Lighting unit from Andries @ Guppys. It was on special @ $190 so I just had to get it as it will fit perfectly in the custom hood.

Also got some Purigen & Matrix at the same time to run in the media basket.

Will get some pics up of the light & hood next week.
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Krystle » Tue 28 Jun, 2011 12:17 am

Oh WOW! :clap: I'm beginning to wish I hadn't filled mine up with water now, your tank is rad. Rad, to the power of sick :-x
The paint looks awesome, i love the media rack/skimmer set up, so neat and tidy! I can see what you mean by the extra space in the back now. BTW, your 'Stevie T style' skimmer cup is way better than the original, you should seriously think about selling them. I have the original, and so far the cup has connected from the pipe, the pipe is so close to the side wall you can't clean it properly, and the lid bowed so it doesn't seal. One tip - try and find a way to attach the lid to the cup, because the strength of the scum pushing up out of the body will move the lid sideways and make a mess - this is another fault of the stevie t design. Even just a rubber band will help.
I use Seachem Matrix (the 'new' bioballs, I remember the days too), purigen, and phosguard. These three, combined with the Tunze skimmer and the UV is an awesome combination and makes for a very strong system IMO. I've run my nano just like this for 12 months and love the polished water - it's clear and stable and healthy :)
I can't wait to see your LED build now. Are you going to gut the hood and use it, or get rid of it all together?
Keep up the good work, and let me know if at any time you want to swap :roflmao:
Krystle
RTAW Reefer

Postby Lofty » Tue 28 Jun, 2011 11:13 am

That paint finish is insane!
Lofty
Veteran Reefer

Postby parrdog » Tue 28 Jun, 2011 10:03 pm

Just like watching an episode of "Pimp My Tank!".

Just awesome :).

Jamie.
parrdog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Mr Reefer's RSM 130 FRANKENSTEIN - LED Lit, Custom Gear.

Postby Mr Reefer » Wed 29 Jun, 2011 10:11 pm

Okay, time for another update...

I received the goodies as mentioned from Guppy's on Monday, and have since done a few things with the CNC router and also with the custom hood.

Pictures speak a thousand words so here we go...

Flat piece of black 6mm acrylic with a 3mm rebate at the bottom, this rebate sits on the lip of the top of the RSM 130, and once heated and bent into place, creates a perfectly gloss black 100mm high hood / cover for the top...

Opening the box to reveal the LED light in all its 100W glory...

Holy crap its bright. I knew it was going to be pretty bright as I work with LED's all the time at work, but for its sheer size it packs in so much light its just crazy!

This is the light tilted back to show the cradle that I had CNC routed for it to sit in. Its basically a piece of 15mm thick opal acrylic, that has a 5mm trenched rebate in it and then a hole in the centre to reveal the LED's. This means the light can sit in the cradle on top of the tank and not be moved when I take the hood / cover off the tank for maintenance. It sits the light perfectly central and lets me slide it forward or back depending on where I want the light to be. Then if I want to lift it out its as easy as unplugging the light and lifting it off...

As usual photos don't do it justice...

Both blues and whites on...

Whites only...

Blues only - I sat my fluoro orange tape measure in there because the blues were making it go mental. Corals are gonna love it!!

Thats it for now, will take some more happy snaps of the hood as it gets completed.
Mr Reefer
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)