• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

VaultBoy's 200L+ Corner Tank. 1st Marine Adventure

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

VaultBoy's 200L+ Corner Tank. 1st Marine Adventure

Postby VaultBoy » Fri 27 May, 2011 11:53 pm

Introduction:

Hello, thanks for reading.
My name is Jack, I'm 27 and I'm an AquaHolic, and have been (self)diagnosed with "MTS" (multiple tank syndrome) and "Collectoritis"
(the desire to own or have owned 1 of at least every species legally allowed according to ones local regulations) :D

I have kept fish in one way or another almost my whole life. At the moment I have 3 freshwater planted tanks in my lounge room, two of
which are being merged to free this tank up to be converted to a "Learner Reefer" tank. Im very excited to be trying marine for the
first time, I have always wanted to ran a salty tank but It's never been the right time.

I decided to start a reef tank when I put a couple of large freshwater shrimp in there and they proceeded to massacre 16 neon tetras,
~20 endlers guppies and a large pair of rainbowfish :( leaving only my large catfish and algae eaters. I was never really happy with the
way the tank was heading so it didnt take much to convince me not to re-stock the tank but to wind it down and convert it into my first
marine adventure.

So here I have decided to start a journal detailing/recording the transition from a freshwater planted tank to a mixed reef.

This is going to be a long slow process, so dont expect too much to change quickly in here :D I guess this is true of most things in
keeping aquaria.

System Objectives: Learning the ropes, this is my first marine tank.

System Type: Mixed Reef eventually, probably starting out with just zoos and morphs.

Display System:

Strike up Date: TBA Hopefully I will have the main tank full of salt water in a couple of weeks......

Display Tank: 5 sided corner tank measuring 750mm on the 2 back sides and 450mm tall. (~195L)

Display Lighting: 2 x 150w MH shoplights (Not decided on lamps yet)

Stand: DIY using offcut timber from a carpenter mate of mine :D Yet to be clad, my brother spray paints kitchens for a living
so it will probably be 2pack painted high moisture resistant MDF with routed edges.

Hood: Coming soon built to match the cabinet.

Sump: 600mm L x 300mm W x 450mm T. (This was my second ever tank) Once the display tank is finished I will finalise the sump
design because I want to work out how much overflow space I need to leave. Will have a DSB in there.

Refugium: Considering building a small refugium in/on the hood which will overflow into the DT. Avoiding the need for a pump
between the tanks.

Refugium Lighting: TBA prob DIY LED

Support systems:

System Water: I plan to start with NSW but I will keep some salt handy for when I run out if I cant get to the beach soon

enough.

Display Water circulation: Undecided.

Return Pump: TBA probably red devil 3000LPH.

Skimmer: Still on its way... Mercury SA-2011 I know nothing about it other than it was good on paper and fit my budget. I will see
how this goes, there are always other options.

Evaporation Top Up: Manual with filtered tap water to begin with but I will get sick of that pretty quick so I will eventually
build something and I will switch to RO or RO/DI sooner rather than later.

Chemical Support:

At what point is this needed?

Calcium Addition: I dont know enough about this stuff yet.

Alkilinity Addition: I dont know enough about this stuff yet.

Other Chemical Maintenance: I dont know enough about this stuff yet.

Current Water Chemistry: This system is still full of fresh water until I re-home some fish.
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.000
Magnesuim:

I dont want to shock anyone, so look away if you are easily disturbed.

Here is the tank more or less as it stands now. Full of freshwater. This was pre-massacre but other than having less fish nothing much else is different.

Now for anyone still reading here is a link to my old tank journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank- ... -tank.html

Regards,
Jack
Last edited by VaultBoy on Sat 28 May, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My 200L Corner Tank a learning experience!
VaultBoy
Centurion Reefer

Re: VaultBoy's 200L+ Corner Tank. 1st Marine Adventure

Postby Thommo01 » Sat 28 May, 2011 8:42 am

Good to see another South Aussie. A beautiful tank you have there.

I think that comming from a planted tank enviroment will make your transition easier as you know about dosing and all that jazz. I know it do for me anyway.

Once you go marine you will never go back IMO.

If you are interested you should join MASAOG. Some good discounts from certain stores(online and LFS) as well as a great comminity of like minded reefers.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby VaultBoy » Sat 28 May, 2011 3:12 pm

I am interested in joining MASAOG but funding is pretty tight at the moment hence the slow conversion from fresh to marine. Once i have the tank setup but before i start stocking i will be joining.

I will have at least one freshwater tank for a while yet I still have breeding cory cats and cherry shrimp in one and a big Synodontis catfish in the other so they will have to run their course before they are converted.

It really doesnt seem tat much harder than a freshwater planted tank, still have all the same/similar problems and solutions, marine is just more in-depth than fresh but the depth of knowledge/experience of the people on here reflects that.

Regards,
Jack
VaultBoy
Centurion Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Sat 28 May, 2011 6:57 pm

Just join now it's only 7 bucks... i put it of for a while and regret doing it now....
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby VaultBoy » Fri 03 Jun, 2011 1:04 am

So as of right now the tank is empty the inhabitants are in an esky with a filter and heater until their tank is ready tomorrow. I have removed the broken centre brace and 2 corner braces and have the glass pieces for the euro style brace and weir. As soon as I have finished cleaning up the old silicone I can start putting the new bits in :D

Its getting so close i can taste the salt in the air!

Thanks for reading, I'm off to bed.
Jack.
VaultBoy
Centurion Reefer

Postby VaultBoy » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 1:44 am

So the bracing is all done :clap: my finger tips are aching from holding a razor to scrape the old silicone off. :furious: not doing that again in a hurry.

Now I just have to wait 7 days for the silicone to cure before I can fill it with freshwater to test it out, but I'm pretty confident it will be fine. I am really happy with the job I ended up with , to the point that I am now considering running the tank hoodless with just a light rack to hold the 2 150w halides but then i need a better looking fixture than 2 shoplights bolted to some aluminium angle.

Lesson learnt... dont put metal halide lights on glass tanks :D

Step 1: remove broken bits. Then empty the tank.

Here it is with plastic trim removed, I got pretty lucky with only 1 chip in the glass. The glass pieces are stacked in the tank ready to go.

This is the base of the weir. I used scraps of glass held in place with double sided tape to hold the pieces in place while the silicone sets. You can see here on the right hand side the chip in the top of the front glass panel. Once the brace was finished it is quite un-noticable.

Next I fitted the corner glass. This was stupid... I should have finished the weir first. These pieces were part of the original bracing but were heavily coated in scale/calcium, it took some serious scrubbing to get it off.

The front brace.... pretty straight forward.

The front of the weir in place, held up, while the glue sets, by 2 bits of PVC pipe that i have lying around. And held square by a small piece of glass double sided taped in the back corner, another stupid idea... it was really really hard to get out, and I was scared of braking something :wall:

Here is the back brace, clamped in at the front and resting on the same small piece of glass that is holding the weir up square. This is what made it so hard to remove :wall:

Here it is all finished with just the last piece to double the thickness of the brace on the back corner, it also means that the tops of the braces in all of the corners is at the same level.

Now just needs a good clean and polish and it will be good to go. Hopefully I can go and collect some sea water next weekend if I have time.

Thanks for reading, comments/criticisms welcome.
Jack.
VaultBoy
Centurion Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 11:20 am

well done. braceing looks neat good job on the weir to
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby marineclass » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 4:49 pm

So happy to see a corner aquarium....i think they are such a nice design and the aquascapes you can do look amazing....looking forward to seeing this one develop
250L Classroom Project
Inspiring new Young Reefers
marineclass
Centurion Reefer

Postby VaultBoy » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks for the comments, I thought i would put pics up of my equipment. I meant too post them last night but it was too late to be thinking.

Here is my skimmer, I got it pretty cheap(I think) off ebay. I ran it for about an hour on my mates 4' x 20" x 20" FOWLR and it collected about 20 - 30ml of light tea coloured skimate, it is rated up to a 1200LPH pump and i was only running on a 750LPH pump, so hopefully when i get a better pump and tune it a bit it will do even better.

Here are the 2 150w shoplights that broke the original centre brace... in hindsight its probably the best thing that happened so far. I love the look of the euro brace on this tank.

Thanks for reading.
Jack.
VaultBoy
Centurion Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 10:40 pm

Neat job with the bracing there. Very professional looking.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby VaultBoy » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 10:52 pm

I have had the tank full of fresh water since saturday and none of the glass has bowed any measurable amount so im happy with the bracing. The weir is also water tight so i know the tank wont drain in a power cut.

Im starting a new job tomorrow so things might progress a little slower now... but i will have to drive past a couple of LFS on the way... so i will probably get in trouble come payday.

Now im off to bed to get a good sleep so i can look all professional and stuff tomorrow :D
VaultBoy
Centurion Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 11:04 pm

Don't add any stock! Hope you weren't thinking that lol. Cycle it for a good month or two and then stock it. Chuck probabaly one fish in the first month. taking it slowly is the best way. You want the live rock to settle in etc. Also what type of salwater are you using?
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby VaultBoy » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 10:49 pm

I didnt mean buying stock... well not for this tank anyway... i have 2 freshwater tanks also :D

As for any other progress the tank is still just sitting there laughing at me... I have decided to drill the tank... i think... Im going to have to join MASAOG for some spiritual guidance and possibly a helping hand. I plan on putting 3 holes in the weir for a bean animal setup and im thinking about another for the return but i might just go over the top with it.

I plan on using natural sea water if i can figure out an easy enough way to collect/store it. I still need to find a source for ro/di water until i can get my own system.
VaultBoy
Centurion Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 9:00 am

Beaniamial is a great overflow. Masog is a great place. With natural sea water you will want to buffer the water. As the paremeters in natural sea water are not that high. I would go synthetic or dose the nsw.
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 12:14 pm

red sea coral pro salt keeps levels nice and high, just need to mix it with ro water ;)
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 12:21 pm

mattgreen wrote:red sea coral pro salt keeps levels nice and high, just need to mix it with ro water ;)

:stupid: Works awesome for me. The week after i put it in i had corralline growing nuts
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby marineclass » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 10:32 pm

Any updates? I can't wait to see what you do with your scape. Corner tanks have great depth in their scapes
250L Classroom Project
Inspiring new Young Reefers
marineclass
Centurion Reefer

Postby VaultBoy » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:59 pm

No news yet... I just started a great new job :clap: , long story short I was off work for ~20 months due to a back injury and was ready to return to "modified duties" about 8 months ago but workcover is a long slow process :wall: and I have only just been able to return to a suitable job.

Soon I will be back to earning what I was pre-injury and I will be able to do more to the tank than I first planned, this is good because I will get what I really wanted, but bad because it will take me longer to do it and I am generally a very impatient/impulsive person and a massive tight a$$ so I always end up settling for less than ideal, but I really want to do this properly so its going along very slowly...

Hopefullly I can get some black signwriters vinyl this week to put on the background, and I will get a price on some 20mm stainless steel tube to make a light hanger, Im a plumber so i hope i can get it at a reasonable price. Once the light is hung and the background is on I only have to decide on drilling or not and then I can put the tank in place and fill it.

I found out yesterday I can get a RO system really really cheap through my new job (Im plumber and the company I work for services a lot of commercial and industrial RO systems) so I might get that sooner than I thought. :pirate:

Thanks for reading.
Jack.
VaultBoy
Centurion Reefer

Postby VaultBoy » Wed 29 Jun, 2011 12:20 am

I have done a bit of work on the tank over the last couple days :D

I'm pretty happy with the way the black background looks. I built the light stand out of a piece of rusty old steel pipe it looks great but is going to need a coat of paint and probably a trim, but im going to wait until I hang the light properly. I will hopefully be painting the stand this weekend, its just going to be black until I sort out some doors/cladding.

I think i have decided on AMD 20k bulbs for the 150w halides... They seem like good value for money.

at the moment they are mounted about 30cm from the water level, how low can i mount them before i start to really heat up the tank? will i need any supplemental lighting/actinic etc?

:cheers:
Jack
VaultBoy
Centurion Reefer

Postby VaultBoy » Sun 10 Jul, 2011 11:46 pm

A little bit of an update here... I have been soooo busy with work and helping Mum move house that I havent had any time to play with my tank! So I made a point of getting something done on it this weekend, and this morning with a little help from my kids (2.5yo and 3.5yo so im sure you can imagine the kind of help i got) I managed to build the base for the sump in the bottom of the tank stand and also to cut out a piece of ply for the "floor". Its not screwed in yet but when i pull the stand out to paint it black i will do it all then.

Here is the "stand" for the sump it will be fixed to the stand when its finished.

Here is some detail shots of the base i cut to go under the sump.

When i put it all back in place I decided i was sick of looking at an empty tank so I grabbed a couple of old limestone rock from my planted tank and sat them in the tank just for some thing to look at

:cheers:
Jack
VaultBoy
Centurion Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 10:23 am

Keep it comming.

I'm sure the kids had a good time though :devil:
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby VaultBoy » Mon 11 Jul, 2011 3:39 pm

Yeah they had a ball... a bit scared of the circular saw... but they love measuring and drawing(read: marking out). I'll make tradesmen of them yet :)
VaultBoy
Centurion Reefer

Postby Assist » Wed 13 Jul, 2011 11:42 pm

VaultBoy wrote:Yeah they had a ball... a bit scared of the circular saw... but they love measuring and drawing(read: marking out). I'll make tradesmen of them yet :)

just dont put your hand behind the circular saw they kick back :thumbsup:
Assist
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby parrdog » Wed 13 Jul, 2011 11:48 pm

It's looking great mate, well done :).

Jamie.
parrdog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby VaultBoy » Thu 14 Jul, 2011 8:44 am

by circular saw i meant compund mitre drop saw... it cant kick anywhere without taking the bench with it :D

I got my 3 x 3000lph jvp wavemakers from guppys and a diablo 3000 return pump yesterday... not long to go now and it will wet (and salty)
VaultBoy
Centurion Reefer

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)