• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

★ Mαrine Freαk's 4ft Mixed Reef ★ Final Days

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

★ Mαrine Freαk's 4ft Mixed Reef ★ Final Days

Postby Marine freak » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 5:58 pm

Introduction:

Hello, my name is Shannon and im a reefaholic!
I have always been fascinated with keeping fish and 3 years ago i bought my first all i one Nano which was home to a clownfish, green goby and a blenny with a few mushrooms and an anemone, a year later i was bought a new 4ft tank and my obsession grew from there.

After a sudden job change and change of location i decided to sell off alot of my liverock and corals and give away a few fish resulting in me restarting this tank, so the journey begins, again!

System Objectives:To have a healthy, thriving and aesthetically pleasing peice of the ocean in my home

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: 2nd of March 2011

Display Tank: 4' x 1.5' x 1.5'

Display Lighting: 6 x 54w T5's with ATI bulbs (very soon to be 2 x 90w Cree powered units from Itzmatty)

Stand: Custom 1M high charcoal blue stand with stainless fittings.

Hood: In the making

Sump: 3' x 1.3' x 1.3' Custom designed sump with acrylic sockfilter mount, skimmer section, shallow sandbed, Macro and frags section and a section for return pump and Fluidised bed filter, also passivley run Purigen in bubble trap.

Refugium Lighting: 2 x Dimmable 3.5W Cool white LED fittings

Support systems:

System Water: D-D H2Ocean Pro + RODI water

Display Water circulation: 1 x 6000 lph JVP and 1 x 3000 lph JVP powerheads

Return Pump: Eheim compact 3000+

Skimmer: SDC - 900 - Marine sources red devil internal cone skimmer rated to 900L

Evaporation Top Up: Manual

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium

Alkalinity Addition: Seachem Reef Carbonate

Other Additions: Aquavitro fuel and Prodibio soon to be dosed

Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates: undetectable
Phosphates: 0.04
Alkalinity: 10 Dkh
Calcium: 440 ppm
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.025
Magnesium: Havent tested yet

Current FTS, sorry for [censored] quality best i can do with my camera

:cheers:
Last edited by Marine freak on Tue 21 Feb, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Marine Freak's 4' Mixed Reef

Postby Marine freak » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 7:34 pm

Ill start with the usual boring stuff, as there really isnt much to see yet as it is only in its second day :konk:

My Stand from start to finish.

My new sump.

Bucket on the right is some of my old tank contents, bucket on the left is the new liverock i bought to replace what i gave away and sold.

Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 8:16 pm

Current livestock is as follows:

Nemo the clownfish :roflmao:
My flamehawk who is an awesome character :thumbsup:
Royal dottyback, thankfully a Non psychotic one and quite easy going
Coral beauty, the boss of the tank and also has a taste for xenia and algea which is great
Coral Banded shrimp, my dottybacks arch nemesis
Blue linkia - AKA fatty, yep a boring starfish but i have had him for a hell of a long time and could never get rid of him, he is huge :-D
And various Snails and Hermits and a few sneaky crabs that seem to of never do any harm so i leave them be.

All my old livestock except for above was given away and sold due to mainly focussing on corals this time around and i dont need the extra bioload.

Will have a lawnmower blenny as of tommorow thanks to http://www.Marinefishonline.com.au , door to door personal delivery with no postage cost, cant complain with that , he is also dropping off a few nice corals and a stunning little ric for me :thumbsup:

Also got a little shipment yesterday from Andrew at http://www.Coralcrazy.com.au , great service and great corals, pics on their way :tongue:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 8:57 pm

Here's a Full tank shot from just before their bedtime last night, thankfully everything is starting to open up and look like it did a few months ago, at first they wernt looking so good :(

Sorry for the awfull photos, best i can do ATM a DSLR is next on my list of things to buy, if anyone around my area has a DSLR and would like to come take some photos would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Next on my list of things to do is get a vinly backing on the tank, still undecided on blue or black :-s

Last edited by Marine freak on Fri 04 Mar, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 9:34 pm

Here is some better shots of the few corals i have in the tank so far.

Thanks to Andrew from coral crazy for this double acan, i love it :nod:

Some of the hidden suprises, a few similar coloured zoo's and i think some type of xenia, please help me ID the stalk at the bottom of the pic :thumbsup:

A nice Favia, also thanks to Andrew from coral crazy, excuse the little bit of hair algea at the back there, it will be gone tomorrow i swear lol :devil:

Unusual Morph also from Andrew up front, at the back one of Zeasons stunning fluro pink morphs, the photo doesnt do it justice, it near glows in the dark, the other is in my prop area in my sump :devil:
cheers Zeason :thumbsup:

Only Photos i have for now will get some more tomorrow, other corals in the tank ATM is a fluro green sarco which i will be offloading asap, a toxic green frogspawn that has only just started to open up after the move, a crap load of fluffy maroon and purple morphs i just keep cutting and selling hoping to get them all into the sump and free the DT of there mass splitting, my cataphylia and a few blue zoo's.

Cant wait for my Rics and other bits and peices tomorrow :)

Just need to get a hold of a few Dallas frags someone out there :poke:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 9:38 pm

Ok i finally figured out how to Link my journal to my signature :nut:
Last edited by Marine freak on Sat 05 Mar, 2011 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 10:13 pm

nice setup very neat... im running leds to in my sump there great :)
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Leighw85 » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 11:46 pm

Mate its coming along nicely.
Nice job on the cupboard. Looks great.
My Tank Journal
Please check it out and give me some hints and tips :)
Leighw85
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 1:20 pm

Well today i received my Lawnmower blenny from hayden at http://www.Marinefishonline.com.au cheers Hayden, he is the coolest little lawnmower and already mowing down the mini algea bloom i got from transferring everything, new liverock and a near 100% water change, he is alot lighter than my old lawnmower and has a cool pink stripe across the top of his fin and a heap of irradescent blue dots.

My dottyback dominated him a few times in the first hour but never actually touched him, my flamehawk on the other hand gave him hell for the first hour but everyone has seemed to settle down now and he is just cruising the tank eating away.

Also received a bag of 12+ turbo snails which are straight to work after a 30 min drip acclimitisation, a stunning large fluro green frogspawn, i thought my other frogspawn was fluro but it doesnt even come close to this one. Also got 2 nice little rics, one standard purple and green mottled one which is still quite nice and another gold and green with some orange in the edges, not as nice as i expected but still nice just the same, once they have settled in straight to the prop section for them for future trades :nod:

Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 2:09 pm

Photos please :)
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 3:46 pm

kj52faith wrote:Photos please :)

Here is the new lawnmower, chillin with Fatty the starfish.

A random shot of Nemo in his cataphylia, doesnt like anything coming anywhere near it including me :furious:

And my coral beauty, looking mighty pissed off as usual.

Will get some shots of my new frogspawn and rics when they are opened up properly :thumbsup:

Can anyone confirm that the coral in the second pic of corals in my journal is indeed a xenia?, if so how can i remove it and attatch it elsewhere, i would like to get it growing on a seperate peice of rock and stick it in my sump, there is about 5 stalks of it all up.

Thanks for looking :cheers:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 6:59 pm

Green, pink and purple Ric, also has an orange mouth, also just found a bud on the back of the rock about 8mm in diameter, although it isnt the same colour i figure it will grow to look the same, am i correct? as the bud is red and purple, either way it was a bonus :nod: , atleast it is starting to open up a little now.

My second ric which looked gold with an orange edge is now gold, orange and green with a pink/purple edge :talker:

My very sad and empty looking sump, c'mon Darren i need my skimmer :poke: ATM just a few morphs, a little rubble for them to attatch to, sock filter and bracket, some substrate with a little macro growing and a bag of purigen in there ATM, FBF will be going in front of the return pump and skimmer in the first section.

Hopefully will have my skimmer and FBF by the end of this week, if not i will be seriously considering buying something else that same day, no idea what but something, i should of just kept my Bubble Magus :konk:

Another thing i just added to the to do list is to mount some power boards and tidy up all my cables :wink:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: ★ Marine Freak's 4ft Mixed Reef ★

Postby Adam howell » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 11:14 am

Very nice. love the tank. i wanted thise handles on ours but add likes it better without door handles. keep postin so we can see more,.. and maybe a full tank shot????
keep up the good work. everything looks great..... :thumbsup:
Adams&leteisha's 6x2x2 little piece of paradise
Adam howell
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby beansathome » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 11:17 am

hey shannon i can swing round with a SLR camera if u wana try get a goood shot. ad i have a big lense witha macro setting aswell
beansathome
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 11:22 am

Looks great mate, love the aquascape.
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby Brengun » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 12:00 pm

At least you have done this before and have an idea what you are doing unlike me lol.
Thanks for the livestock and coral links. Can never have enough of those to drool over and put on a wishlist. :thumbsup:
Brengun
Centurion Reefer

Postby marinenoob » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 12:49 pm

Nice shannon. Looks sick as now :) P.S what shift are we on tomorrow? lol
marinenoob
Curious Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 12:59 pm

Adam howell wrote:Very nice. love the tank. i wanted thise handles on ours but add likes it better without door handles. keep postin so we can see more,.. and maybe a full tank shot????
keep up the good work. everything looks great..... :thumbsup:

Thanks heaps :thumbsup: , not much has changed since the first FTS just a couple more corals and the blenny as soon as my new frogspawn opens up properly i will try to get another FTS, cant wait till next weekend for my next lot of corals to fill it out a little more its looking so empty.

hey shannon i can swing round with a SLR camera if u wana try get a goood shot. ad i have a big lense witha macro setting aswell

Cheers Ben that would be awesome, as soon as i get a few more goodies ill take you up on that offer :clap:

Looks great mate, love the aquascape.

Cheers Matt, love your entire tank :-x

At least you have done this before and have an idea what you are doing unlike me lol.
Thanks for the livestock and coral links. Can never have enough of those to drool over and put on a wishlist.

Both those guys are great to deal with :nod: I have an idea of what i want to do, but it never turns out that way very often :roflmao:

Nice shannon. Looks sick as now P.S what shift are we on tomorrow? lol

Cheers Tyrell, i am much happier with it all setup properly now you need to hurry up and set your tank up!, and BTW you are on 9.30 shifts :nut:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: ★ Mαrine Freαk's 4ft Mixed Reef ★

Postby beansathome » Sun 06 Mar, 2011 2:21 pm

to easy mate gust give me a yell when your ready.
beansathome
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby ladybird » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 2:18 am

Looking good! Love that Ric!!!
Happiness does not decrease by being shared.
ladybird
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby reefsecretsaquariums » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 2:29 am

looking good tiger ... only thing are you running the tank skimmerless. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: jokes..

i think your double acan is a double favia... :thumbsup:

ill hassle supplier again tomorrow. for ya :poke: :konk:
REEF SECRETS AQUARIUMS (07) 55356996
unit 2 number 9 Kortum Drive, Burleigh Heads . darren@reefsecrets.com.au
Reef Secrets Facebook Page
http://www.reefsecrets.com.au/

Australian Reefing Connection
EMAIL ME INSTEAD OF PMs IT FILLS UP TO QUICKLY. I CAN CHECK EMAILS FASTER.
I DONT WORK ON MONDAYS >>> ITS MY ONLY DAY OFF .
reefsecretsaquariums
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASA Partner
RTAW Registered Business
MASQ Supporter

Postby Marine freak » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 10:58 am

Looking good! Love that Ric!!!

Thanks :thumbsup: , i have just ordered a heap more rics, hopefully they will be here by the weekend :thumbsup:

reefsecretsaquariums wrote:looking good tiger ... only thing are you running the tank skimmerless. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: jokes..

i think your double acan is a double favia... :thumbsup:

ill hassle supplier again tomorrow. for ya :poke: :konk:

Not funny Darren :konk: , ok just a little :roflmao:

Are you positive its a favia, was sold to me as an acan but you would know best :thumbsup:

Yes hassle them, hassle them bad, come wednesday if you have no good news i will be buying a SDC 900, i have just been offered a discounted price on one from Andries, regardless i will still need the other SK181 and an FBF, so just 1 skimmer less. :crossfingers:

I cant wait to make a trip down to your shop when i am all cashed up :-x
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby reefsecretsaquariums » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 9:57 pm

well there are acans which look very similar . but the corallites look very favia to me.. i will admit its a hard call but id be putting my bets on favia.. just do a google on acans ... then one on favia .. then click images .. you will see the majority of pics that look the same are favia ..its hard to as so many people get it wrong too and lable them incorrectly ...

thats cool mate i understand . and it wont be a problem at all i have others who were after the SK181 i can sell it in a flash.. so seriously no problems if you cant wait.. i did email the importer tonight just waiting for a reply .. then i will post that reply so everyone knows how far off they actually are.. :bow:

sorry had to make that joke.. about running it skimmerless :cheers:
REEF SECRETS AQUARIUMS (07) 55356996
unit 2 number 9 Kortum Drive, Burleigh Heads . darren@reefsecrets.com.au
Reef Secrets Facebook Page
http://www.reefsecrets.com.au/

Australian Reefing Connection
EMAIL ME INSTEAD OF PMs IT FILLS UP TO QUICKLY. I CAN CHECK EMAILS FASTER.
I DONT WORK ON MONDAYS >>> ITS MY ONLY DAY OFF .
reefsecretsaquariums
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASA Partner
RTAW Registered Business
MASQ Supporter

Postby mattgreen » Wed 09 Mar, 2011 1:22 am

realy like the stand. how did you paint it? is the water in the sump a little high for the skimmer? or are you going to sit it on something?
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Wed 09 Mar, 2011 8:53 pm

mattgreen wrote:realy like the stand. how did you paint it? is the water in the sump a little high for the skimmer? or are you going to sit it on something?

Its painted by roller, first 3 coats dulux aquacoat primer, then 2 coats dulux aqua coat in ultra gloss charcoal blue :thumbsup:

Sump is only 400mm high so the operating water level is sitting at about 200mm give or take 20mm, should be the correct level give or take a little, my BM skimmer run best at around 250mm but with the pump mounted underneath the bubble plate, my new skimmer which is no longer a going to be a Skimz has a side mount pump so 200mm should be close to ideal, i chose the sidemount as the manufacturer suggests better performance and i have been reading many reccomendations and saw one in action the other day and from what i saw it is definately the goods, i wont speculate yet but on a similar sized tank with a similar bioload it definately looks to overpower my old NAC180, its your skimmers slightly bigger brother Matt :roflmao:

Should be here tommorow and i will get a heap of pics :thumbsup:
Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Wed 09 Mar, 2011 9:07 pm

the new marine sources are great you cant look down at them for the price. did you get the model with two pumps? i got the rdc850. because i needed room in the sump and i like my conical skimmers
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Wed 09 Mar, 2011 9:19 pm

Yeah i read your posts about the RDC 850 the only reason i didnt get one is i had the room to spare width wise, i got the new SDC-900.

Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Wed 09 Mar, 2011 10:00 pm

i would have went the sdc if i had the space. but i couldnt pass up the space saveing footprint! its only for a 300L tank anyway
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby marinenoob » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 9:21 pm

From what Shannon told me at work today the skimmer is working wonders, I'm glad because I got one aswell :) Can't wait to set my tank up :pirate:
marinenoob
Curious Reefer

Postby Marine freak » Sat 12 Mar, 2011 12:19 am

Well i received my skimmer yesterday and i am extremely impressed, great quality, next day delivery and already skimming like a champion, here is a pic before going into the tank. Kudos to Andries for prompt delivery :thumbsup:

Here is a pic about an hour and a half in the tank, absolutely dominates my first skimmer ever the original Reef Octopus classic and in one day pulled 3 times more skim than my BM NAC 180 did on an overstocked tank with not the greatest water quality, did i say i was impressed :roflmao:

I feel much more at peace now i have a skimmer on the tank, onwards and upwards from here :pirate:

Marine freak
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)