• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Geoff and Sarah's 6x2x2 Reef Tank

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Geoff and Sarah's 6x2x2 Reef Tank

Postby calsonic » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 10:14 pm

Introduction:
My wife and I had our first marine tank about 5 years ago. It was a 4x2x2. It was a learning curve, and even now I feel I know very little about Marine habitats. We had it for just over a year and had only just started to add fish when new baby syndrome took over the house and it had to go. Now we have decided it is time to get back into the hobby and go even better this time. Last time we had only T5 lights and the bare minimum of equipment to run the tank. This time I want to do things bigger and better.

Last month I noticed my brother in law had a 5x2x2 tank sitting under his house on a stand. I enquired and he let me have it. (Bargain even with a few glass scratches.)
I then enquired with my wifes uncle who used to have an awesome 8x2.5x2.5 setup in their house but they had no idea how to maintain it and to my horror, everything died including the corals and live rock I sold to them when we got rid of the 4x2x2. They still have everything and their big tank now houses a barramundi..... So I offered to buy the chiller, 2 pumps, skimmer and the 4x1.5x1.5 sump. I get it all for a pittance of what they paid. So here I am about to kick the system into gear once again.

I will post photos of as much as I can along the way although I know this is going to be a long road once again and I really don't expect to have much to show in the first six months other than my contruction and modifications along the way.

EDIT---------------------------------------------------------------------

Have decided to forget the 5x2x2 and just buy a new 6x2x2

EDIT FINISH--------------------------------------------------------------

System Objectives: I really want to focus on corals and invertabrates with fish being secondary and probably not very many. I want to be able to sit and marvel at the life that seems to appear from nowhere in the live rock and watch as the corals flow back and forth in the current. It is one of the most relaxing things to do.

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: February 2011

Display Tank: 72x24x24 with two cross braces

Display Lighting: None yet but planning Metal Halide 3 x 150w and probably a couble of T5's as well

Stand: Welded metal frame with timber base and foam

Hood: None

Sump: 48x18x18 Bio section (using pumicstone) into fuge then skimmer and return

Refugium: will be shallow SB with LR and Macro

Refugium Lighting: None yet

Support systems:

System Water: NSW

Display Water circulation: None yet

Return Pump: Hailea HX-6550

Skimmer: Not sure what brand it is but its huge. Will post photos soon so someone can tell me what it is.

Evaporation Top Up:Manual

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Manual dose

Alkilinity Addition: Manual dose

Other Chemical Maintenance: Magnesium etc

Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:
Last edited by calsonic on Thu 29 Dec, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
calsonic
Curious Reefer

Re: Geoff and Sarah's 5x2x2 Reef Tank

Postby calsonic » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 10:23 pm

As soon as I figure out images, I will load some up :-)
calsonic
Curious Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 10:49 pm

Sounds good, looking forward to the pics! :banana:
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby calsonic » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 8:50 am

This is the DT looking very unclean but rescued from the depths of under a house.

The end of the DT with two 25mm outlets. As you can see, there is no weir yet. I am wondering what are the added benefits of building a weir in front of the outlets as opposed to just putting grill covers over the outlets? I would appreciate all thoughts on this matter.

This is my Skimmer. there is no brand on it anywhere, and I wonder if it was not manufactured by the LFS that sold it to my relatives? Thoughts?
Last edited by calsonic on Thu 29 Dec, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calsonic
Curious Reefer

Postby calsonic » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 9:02 am

The 48x18x18 sump that I picked up for next to nothing.

Now to clean it up.

Much better

The inlets to the sump

This is the skimmer return with an adjustable valve to alter the water level in the skimmer.

Here is why I got the sump for next to nothing. A lovely v shaped crack in the side at the bottom. Now I know most of you are probably saying replace the whole side. And if it was a DT, I certainly would. However, since it is a sump that will never likely be more than 50% full, and the fact that it is braced across the bottom right about the same spot, I decided to got the patch up route and see how it goes. Naturally I will do a test on the tank outside with full level and see if it can take the full pressure, and then decide if its a go or no go.

So thats the repair. A piece of glass siloconed over the crack on both sides. Fingers crossed :-)
Last edited by calsonic on Thu 29 Dec, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calsonic
Curious Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 11:05 am

that should do it i did that in my sump to it works fine...
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby calsonic » Fri 18 Feb, 2011 9:41 pm

Well a lot can change in just one day.

I started the day by testing the sump tank after the repair. It tested fine. I then took the DS outside and painted the back and one side black. Took it back in and put it back on the stand.

Then I brought the sump upstairs in order to place it under the stand. Thats when it dawned that the sump was not going to fit under the stand with all the plumbing hanging out the sides.

Next step was to build a new stand. I decided to Weld together a solid steel frame. I decided to make it 1000mm high for better viewing and 2060mm long in order to house everything underneath.

After building most of the frame today, I have been contemplating. Since I had to build a whole new stand, and its so long anyway, we have decided to buy a brand new 6x2x2 and just go the whole hog.
That way I get to put the weir where I want it, and I have a tank without scratches. Much better for all concerned.

Stay tuned for further updates.

I am going to buy the tank from Aquariums R Us in Meadowbrook as they have the tanks for $360 new. If anyone knows a cheaper place in Brisbane, I would love to know about it.

This is getting even more exciting :-)

GT...
calsonic
Curious Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Sat 19 Feb, 2011 8:43 am

thats very cheacp for a 6 footer good buy :) thats funny about getting a new tank lol
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby calsonic » Wed 23 Feb, 2011 12:24 pm

Well the purchase of the new tank has been postponed due to the engine in my car dying on the weekend. Not happy Jan!

GT...
calsonic
Curious Reefer

Re: Geoff and Sarah's 6x2x2 Reef Tank

Postby calsonic » Fri 25 Feb, 2011 4:42 pm

Thankfully the car is not as bad as first thought. New tank should be purchased in next 2 weeks.

GT...
calsonic
Curious Reefer

Postby calsonic » Wed 09 Mar, 2011 8:50 pm

The new tank has been purchased and the new tank stand is coming along. Here are some pics :-) Comments welcome.

The new 6x2x2 from

The Steel for the stand

This is the bottom of the stand. Notice the adjustable feet I added to make life easier.

Stand complete without boards and doors. Doors will be the final addition once the tank is up and running.
You will notice that the stand has a crossbar that looks somewhat out of place near one end. This is because I originally built the stand to accommodate a 5ft stand with some extra room for storage at the end. Once I decided to buy the 6ft tank, I needed to add the extra piece to make sure the tank had support around its edge. It may not have been necessary, but it made me feel better :-)
Last edited by calsonic on Thu 29 Dec, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calsonic
Curious Reefer

Postby Adam howell » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 9:02 pm

nice stand and tank so far... good size tank to go with.. its the same size as my tank.. :thumbsup: cant wait to see how it all goes for you..
Adams&leteisha's 6x2x2 little piece of paradise
Adam howell
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 9:29 pm

Steel beats wood :devil: nice and neat joints... Did you weld them or bolt them?
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby marinenoob » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 9:38 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say weld since he's painted over all the joins with gal paint and there are no visible signs of bolts :pirate:
marinenoob
Curious Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 9:39 pm

Yep, I agree... Those seem like good welds... What welder you using tic or stick welder?
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby marinenoob » Thu 10 Mar, 2011 9:48 pm

Being mild steel It's most likely going to be mig or stick, not tig. And I'm also gonna guess stick :D lol
marinenoob
Curious Reefer

Postby calsonic » Fri 11 Mar, 2011 9:35 am

And the sticks have it :-) It was a bit of work with welding, grinding and painting but it's finally done and inside the house.Photos to follow soon.

Cheers

GT...
calsonic
Curious Reefer

Postby marinenoob » Fri 11 Mar, 2011 10:46 pm

:roflmao: Nice metal working skills
marinenoob
Curious Reefer

Postby calsonic » Sun 13 Mar, 2011 8:53 pm

Time for another update. Finally got the tank painted and upstairs and did a little plumbing while I was on a roll.
Here are some pics. I tried to get every angle I could so everyone can see exactly what I have done and make comments if they like.

You will notice that the inside overflow has a few too many bends. That's only because I had intended to do something different and then changed my mind after I had glued the elbow in place. I will rectify it later when I can buy a joiner and just run a straight drop with one bend at the bottom into the chiller.

2 outlets and 1 return. I intend to run the return up to the other end of the tank so the filtered water is returned opposite to the outlets.
I need to buy some outlet or overflow filters to put on the outlets but I cannot find them anywhere. If anyone know where I can get them around Brisbane, I would sure like to know?

I have set this up so I have a tap for water changes with a hose on the end. This will make my life much easier.

To avoid disaster, the hose for the water change tap goes in the sump when not in use just in case little fingers should ever decide to play with it. Although I will probably put lockable doors on when finished.

I intend to cut out a one piece facade for the front and then put doors on it. This will be much easier than trying to fit hinges to the frame.

All comments welcome on the setup so far.
Cheers
GT...
Last edited by calsonic on Thu 29 Dec, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calsonic
Curious Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Sun 13 Mar, 2011 9:08 pm

NIce and neat bro :thumbsup: i like it :)
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby les82 » Tue 22 Mar, 2011 8:16 pm

good looking set up bud, good job so far
cheers Les & Kirsty

LesandKirsty's6X2X2
les82
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby calsonic » Thu 29 Dec, 2011 4:47 pm

Well it's been a while since our last post. We had a set back when the owners of the house told us they didn't want the tank upstairs as they were concerned it would mark the floor.

So we took it all down stairs and stored it till now. We are now about to move into our own home in the next few weeks, and I can assure you, the tank will be high on the priority list to get setup. I will keep the updates coming as I have them. We can't wait to get this project back on the road.
calsonic
Curious Reefer

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)