• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Locuus 48x30x18: few iPhone pics

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Locuus 48x30x18: few iPhone pics

Postby locuus » Sat 18 Dec, 2010 1:33 pm

Introduction:
This will be my second tank, replacing a 3x2x1 that I have had now for 5 months. I went sumpless against better advice with my first tank :wall: and it has been a never ending source of problems and limitations for what I've realized I wanted/needed to achieve.

Thought I'd rewrite this, again, to better explain, and maybe get some more advice on what I'm seeking to achieve. The following 4 images are my current source of inspiration. I'm basing my scape pretty much on the 3rd image, without the massive boulders at the end :) The rock work will extend close to the top of the tank at the right and slope to the left. Scaping at the left will be a couple of free standing formations. The middle which will extend to the floor covered in encrusting monti's and chalices, and have a number of passage ways and provide hopefully a good amount of open space. Through using rock structures something along the lines of Chingchai Uekrongtham scape in image 4, I'm hoping I can amplify the amount of swimming/hiding room, and opportunities for varied coral placement similar to image 2. For the free standing formations and middle section I'm taking inspiration from image 1.

Some of the forms and corals I'm after:

System Objectives: Exploration of ornamental plating corals, slow working toward introduction of some non photosynthetic corals.

System Type: Mixed Reef: Montipora/Agariciidae/other plating coral island and free standing ie cup corals, Feather Dusters, slow introduction of Non photosynthetic Corals, Photosynthetic Gorgonians and Acro's. Macrodactyla doreensis or Heteractis crispa - undecided.

Display System:

Strike up Date: February 2011.

Display Tank: 48x30x18. Coast to coast, Beananimal (Calfo) overflow. 3 sided Starfire w/Eurobrace.

Display Lighting: 3-4x Vertex Illumilux 1200mm LED units.

Stand: Cabinet built by Gwithian.

Sump/Refugium: 36x20x16 3 chamber.

Refugium Lighting:

Support systems:

System Water: Microbe-Lift Reef Salt

Display Water circulation: 2 Tunze 6105's and Tunze 7096 Multicontroller.

Return Pump: ATB Maxflow .

Skimmer: Skimz SK-201

Evaporation Top Up: Undecided

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition:

Alkilinity Addition:

Other Chemical Maintenance: Magnesium etc

Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

Other inhabitants:
1x Regal Angel.
1x Desjardinii Sailfin Tang.
Wrasses to include: 3 Balteatus ~ Male and 2 Females, , 3 Fijian Exquisite ~ Male and 2 Females, 2 Mystery Wrasse, and either Cirrhilabrus lyukuensis or Earlei Wrasses.
2 Mandarins.
Safe Nudibranch's as I find them.
Lawnmower Blenny.

:banana: :
Last edited by locuus on Sun 09 Dec, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 54 times in total.
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Re: Locuus 48x30x20

Postby locuus » Thu 24 Feb, 2011 3:20 pm

A few updates:

Just purchased 2x Tunze 6105's and a Tunze Wave Controller 7092 to replace modded 6025's.
ATI Powercone 200 is on order :)
Also a PSI-019B-DI 4 Stage Reverse Osmosis Unit.
Having looked at Deester's build from Aquatic Creations and been so impressed, I'm now looking at getting my tank built in Starfire also with eurobrace.
I've approached Gwithian to hopefully build me a cabinet when he can fit it into his busy schedule. Thanks Gwithian :thumbsup:
Have been considering 1 of the Tunze Silence recirculation pumps as an alternative to an Eheim. Still undecided it will provide enough flow at this point.
I am seriously considering a Chevron Tang. Still need to see a few more examples of adults to convince myself they are not ugly :) otherwise will be getting a Kole Yellow Eye Tang.
Next thing is to some more research on the various Anthias and see at least if I can get my hands on the olivaceus.
Only thing I can't decide on is design of my sump atm. Been combing peoples TJ's for examples of refugiums and general set up. Seems most people keep things pretty simple. Any advice on set ups is more than welcome.

Oh and as an added request. I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has or has seen the Pachyseris-rugosa, Montipora-delicatula and Montipora-vietnamensis I have linked above.
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Postby brettm74 » Thu 24 Feb, 2011 3:40 pm

Your tank dimensions are pretty much identical to mine that I am currently building. I had my tank built in 12mm starphire with no bracing which might be another option for you.

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=223782

I too am up in the air re sump design, but think it will be pretty much divided into thirds with skimmer then dsb/fuge then return. Simple is good.
Brett - ...curator of the finest brown acros.
brettm74
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby ryanrid » Thu 24 Feb, 2011 3:44 pm

nice dimensions, i think the tunze is a sicce relablled?
ryanrid
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby locuus » Thu 24 Feb, 2011 4:13 pm

ryanrid wrote:nice dimensions, i think the tunze is a sicce relablled?

Something like that. From what I read had tunze motor I think. As they share parts and blueprints, think Tunze went with their already existing body
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Postby locuus » Thu 24 Mar, 2011 9:23 pm

Got a good deal on a Skimz SK-201, so the ATI is out the window as a purchase.
Excuse the IPhone quality:

I've been cycling some new and old rock for a couple of months in preparation for eventual tank build. Decided to go 3-sided starfire and eurobrace after some enquiries. Just waiting on someone :poke: :) to finish a long list of jobs they had stacked up to be able to start on cabinet, and then we are off.
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Postby locuus » Sun 17 Apr, 2011 12:27 am

Picked up my 2 Saddlebacks (2" and 3" respectively. Can't get a decent pic with the IPhone yet) from Jack at Williamstown today, a nice Superman Monti to add to the Purple I've had for a couple of weeks, and a beautiful chalice to start my collection. Depending on the light, hues of purple/brown, blue, grey, with fluorescent white to aqua lines appearing.

I'd wanted to keep Chalices, but had thought otherwise due to sweepers, but have gone 360, and decided to use them as my encrusting corals for the base/lower sections of my rock. I'm contemplating using Black Aragonite as a substrate to enhance the colours (still not sold on this one, but have seen some interesting effects in substrates, as in the temperate reef of oregonreef http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlUD3jqBcUM which i like, so maybe a fair amount of rubble instead :))

I've narrowed down my fairy wrasse selection to wanting to keep a few sets of males and females, 2 different varieties of the exquisite, the balteatus wrasses when i am lucky enough for them to come up on a list, and singles of the solarensis and lubbocks.

My tang choice has had me scouring google. Came across the Ctenochaetus marginatus (Striped fin Surgeonfish)
which of course :wall: doesn't seem to be available. So I'm sitting somewhere between the Kole and the Chevron.
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Postby locuus » Sun 15 May, 2011 7:16 pm

A couple of updates:

Gwithian (Brett) has been kind enough to find some time in his busy schedule to begin making my cabinet. Here are some progress shots before he ran out the door for the MASOV meeting today.

I asked Gwithian for a rounded edge look to the lip and panneling, and love how it's coming along.

The panneling and doors will be in 2-pac a gunmetal colour. I'm thinking the copper, tin, and zinc inherent in 'gunmetal' will give an overall colour that depending on the light appears from a darker grey, almost black through to a grey that appears almost copper.

Fish:
Picked up 3 juvi Vanuatan Scott's Wrasses from Jack at Williamstown. I'd originally thought of going Exquisites but got completely suckered by the colours. Will post some pics when the iphone does some justice. Now to find the Balteutus. A trio doesn't come up very often from the Maldives.
In a couple of weeks my juvi Red Sea Regal and Desjardinii's arrive, so other than the Balteutus that's close to it. I was going to get a Chevron but I really love the Desjardinii, and figure 3 years of growth before next tank will be fine.

Corals:
Picked up a couple of really nice Chalices, including this weird orange one from Williamstown (thanks Jack for keeping this one for me :thumbsup: ), a really nice slice of green Acropora solitaryensis, and a fluoro Turbinaria.

This week I have a couple of wicked Monti's and this beauty coming from Reef Secrets, so holding tank is filling up nicely :) Got to remember not to check Darren's Facebook updates. Way too many nice pieces :)
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Re: Locuus 48x30x20 (Cabinet underway)

Postby locuus » Mon 16 May, 2011 10:24 pm

Another shot of the orange chalice.

A slice of green Acropora solitaryensis.

Fluoro turbinaria.

A terrible phone pic of my 3 Scott's. One of the females got beaten around a bit in transport, and has a lump on her scon. She disappeared for a few hours yesterday, and I thought that's it she's gone. There she was as happy as rain this morning. Nothing to worry about.

Got this,
this,
and this coming this week.

Now need to find this,
this,
and a few more pieces like this, and I'm well on the way to where I want to head :)

Saddlebacks have recovered well. So well the female has put on over an inch in 3 weeks. Bosses the male around something shocking. Don't know if this would change with something to host r not. Advice there would be appreciated.
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Re: Locuus 48x30x20 (Cabinet underway, a few more coral pics

Postby locuus » Fri 20 May, 2011 11:05 pm

Some new additions.

Chalice. Has some really nice green on the ridges, so will be interesting to see when it grows out:

Oxypora:

Montipora vietnamensis I'm guessing:

Also got hold of a really nice purple acro with green tips, but colour is only starting to return, so no pics yet.

Will look to put down deposit on new tank in a week or so, with cabinet now nearing completion. Just need to decide whether I go one of the new Tunze Silence return pumps or the Eheim 1262.
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Postby locuus » Sat 21 May, 2011 8:00 pm

Just a quick update.

Both Gwithian and I sourced quotes for 2-pac which where enough to make my hair stand on end :o Gwithian came up with the solution of Resene's metallic paints, and we have decided to go with that option for the cabinet. Colour will be Winchester
also a gunmetal grey metallic. Gwithian has also been kind enough to offer to spray it for me.

Seems Gwithian's girlfriend likes the style of the cabinet, so I fear he may be in for a couple more weekends of work if he's not careful :)
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Re: Locuus 48x30x20 (Cabinet first coat and new corals)

Postby locuus » Sun 29 May, 2011 10:53 pm

As it turns out Resene's Winchester wasn't appropriate for the cabinet, but the colour was made up like a scene from Siam Sunset according to Gwithian (Brett), with blacks, yellow, and a few pinches of other colours thrown in.
So here's the first coat:

It's a little darker being wet, but I love the colour and metallic sheen. Big thanks to Gwithian for the effort on this one :clap:

A couple of new corals thanks to Jack at Williamstown.
A green Echinopora mammiformis:
And what I think to be a Gardinerosis?
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Postby gazman33 » Fri 10 Jun, 2011 1:15 am

Your holding tank must be huge coming along nicely can't wait to see the dt setup and running. How are you finding the skimz skimmer.
gazman33
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby locuus » Fri 10 Jun, 2011 11:00 am

gazman33 wrote:Your holding tank must be huge coming along nicely can't wait to see the dt setup and running. How are you finding the skimz skimmer.

Holding tank is just my 36x24x12. I'm actually going really slow with coral additions. I'm only after ultra grade chalices and unique plating/encrusting SPS for coming tank.

I just added the skimz to the holding tank, it being sumpless the other day, having been battling water quality. I'm very happy with it. Pulls a huge load of crap from my tank. Should be putting payment down on new tank in two weeks, so should be up and running in just over a month.
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Re: Locuus 48x30x20 (new Red Sea Regal and Desjardini)

Postby locuus » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 4:58 pm

Excuse the crappy IPhone pic:

Both are a little on the skinny side. The Desjardini hasn't stopped eating since he got in, and the Regal after some initial skittishness is eating more, and keen to check out the denizens of the room it finds itself in. I've got to say the colours and fluorescence of the Regal are really are stunning. Beautiful fish. Only fish now to get are the rest of the Wrasses.

*Edit* I've rewritten my introduction to give a better idea of what I'm trying to achieve, and hopefully pick up a few ideas :)
Last edited by locuus on Mon 13 Jun, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Postby parrdog » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 5:05 pm

Wow, your coral pieces you are collecting are beautiful and quite unique. I love the colour of your cabinet as well, looks unreal :).

This will be a great, original setup, that's for sure!

Cheers,
Jamie.
parrdog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Locuus 48x30x20 (new Red Sea Regal and Desjardini)

Postby locuus » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 6:22 pm

I'm happy as Nitrate levels have been steadily going down over last few weeks in holding tank.
Regal is eating better and better, while Desjardini is just a pig.

Also will be picking up some sensational chalices from Acanman. The blue especially is a cracker :thumbsup:

locuus
Veteran Reefer

Re: Locuus 48x30x20 (new Chalices:))

Postby Dan » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:03 am

Wow this tank is going to be awesome, you really have nailed down stock choices well :) loving the regal :-x
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby locuus » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 9:23 am

Dan wrote:Wow this tank is going to be awesome, you really have nailed down stock choices well :) loving the regal :-x

If it comes anywhere near yours then I'll be happy :bow:

I discovered Acanthastrea Rotundoflora yesterday in my searches. Am thinking this may bridge the gap for the base of the tank, given how hard it is to get hold of ultra grade chalices. It also presented another scaping option to me, as I lay obsessing in bed last night, of rolling layers. I was saying on RTAW chat last night that it would probably be quicker for me to learn to dive, and save for a licence, given some of the coral choices I've made.
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Postby parrdog » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 9:26 am

Those Chalices are awesome, mate, good score :).

Jamie.
parrdog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby DannyH » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 12:01 pm

Nice chalices mate :)
Zoa Rancher
DannyH
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby TAZ » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 12:08 pm

very nice mate, I love the blue chalice :-x
TAZ
Centurion Reefer

Postby AcanMan » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 1:56 pm

Love the wrasse mate, its a good look. :thumbsup:
Acan Man.
Telephone: 0430 309 308
Email: theacanman@gmail.com
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AcanMan/204547006228602
AcanMan
Centurion Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Re: Locuus 48x30x20 (Cabinet underway)

Postby scotto » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 5:18 pm

locuus wrote:Now need to find this,

Loving the chalices :-x
Will be keeping my eyes on things here, keen to see if you find some noice monti caps too :pirate:

Scott :thumbsup:
scotto
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby locuus » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 8:54 pm

parrdog wrote:Those Chalices are awesome, mate, good score :).

DannyH wrote:Nice chalices mate :)

Jamie.

TAZ wrote:very nice mate, I love the blue chalice :-x

Thanks :) Think I've found a couple of really good suppliers in last couple of days, so I should be getting some cracker pieces if all goes well.

AcanMan wrote:Love the wrasse mate, its a good look. :thumbsup:

Had some really bad luck with the Scott's. Both females are no more. The one with the lump on her head which I thought was recovering after disappearing, took a really quick turn for the worse. I put her in hospital tank for treatment but no good. Other female about a week later just plain disappeared. Pulled rock work apart and looked for evidence in and out of tank. Nothing! I'm hoping to reintroduce 2 more females for the male next shipment Williamstown gets.

On a brighter side, have a Lineatus super male and two females coming this weekend :)

scotto wrote:
locuus wrote:Now need to find this,

Loving the chalices :-x
Will be keeping my eyes on things here, keen to see if you find some noice monti caps too :pirate:

Scott :thumbsup:

That pic believe it or not is Gardinerosis planulata. Comes on some great greens, purples and blues by the looks of it.

As I mentioned I am going to use a combination of Acanthastrea Rotundoflora, Acanthastrea Echinata, and chalices as base to lower areas of rock work, with a couple of Lordhowensis atop smaller rocks. Picked up a couple of beauties from Darren at Reef Secrets :thumbsup: As soon as ash cloud goes they will make their way to Melbourne. Here are 2 of them:

locuus
Veteran Reefer

Re: Locuus 48x30x20 (new Acans:))

Postby parrdog » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 10:02 pm

Crikey, that last one is nuts!

What lighting is it under in that shot, mate?

Jamie.
parrdog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby locuus » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 10:09 pm

parrdog wrote:Crikey, that last one is nuts!

What lighting is it under in that shot, mate?

Jamie.

Blue I'm gathering.

Larger colony of his website
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Postby parrdog » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 10:16 pm

Awesome!
parrdog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby locuus » Sun 26 Jun, 2011 3:00 pm

As they say things come in 3's. Had 3 good and bad with my tank in last 24 hours.

The Bad:
Introduced new Scott's to replace lost females, only for the resident male to beat them to death while I was out. I knew Scott's were aggressive but thought 2 females would be ok. Looks like I'll have to get another trio and swap my solo male out :(
Been having trouble with 2x Tunze 6105's I purchased second hand. Both decided to give up the ghost last night. So 2 new power packs on order.
Female Saddleback decided to jump ship in the middle of the night. Don't know what coould have spooked her, but found her on the floor this morning :(

The Good:
Oxypora
Chalice
Been dosing vodka to reduce nitrate and phosphate levels even further, and other than keeping bacterial blooms in check with regular water changes and syphoning, am seeing really good results.
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Re: Locuus 48x30x20 (Good/bad things come in 3's don't they?

Postby kj52faith » Sun 26 Jun, 2011 3:12 pm

I really like the aquascape in image 4 and with the right light and water flow corals would look amazing.
Are you buidling the tank yet? Or just collecting some nice corals :)
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)