• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Gwithian's 4x2x2 (getting there)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Gwithian's 4x2x2 (getting there)

Postby Gwithian » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 6:02 am

Introduction

System Objectives: I don't have a huge garden where I currently live so I would like to create a small, easy to maintain splash of living colour in my livingroom.

System Type: Mixed Reef with a long-term view towards SPS

Current FTS:9/3/11

Display System

Strike up Date: 23/01/11

Display Tank: 4x2x2 3 side starfire Rimless tank, with an internal Calfo (well almost its not quite coast to coast) weir and the Beananimal overflow

Display Lighting: 2 x 120W BSLED 70% white 30% Blue

Stand: Hopefully something a little bit special.

Hood: DIY hood, I hate it, will fix it with something nicer when i redo the stand.

Sump: 3'x18"x18" with a center return

Refugium: will be a around 1.5"x18'x18'.

Refugium Lighting: just a few standard fluoro’s .

Support systems

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: Closed Loop

Return Pump: a RO waterblaster 5000 L/H 60W.

Skimmer: ATB Deluxe Medium with a 1500 L/H Airstar pump

Evaporation Top Up: Tunze osmolator.

Chemical Support

Calcium Addition: Just Kalk at first but will have a calcium reactor hopefully within a few months of start-up

we all Love Pics so a few to get us started
Last edited by Gwithian on Wed 09 Mar, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 14 times in total.
My tank journal (pulled down)

“I could have, and I didn’t. I made my choice and I regret it to this day. Bones mend. Regret stays with you forever.” ~ Rothfuss
Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Re: Gwithian's (Teaser Pics)

Postby Gwithian » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 6:05 am

Tank Design and at builders
you can read all my Tank design Dilemas over in this thread viewtopic.php?f=82&t=219927

the final design

at the Tank Builder, not sure on rules regarding the posting of business names so PM if you need any of that info

“I could have, and I didn’t. I made my choice and I regret it to this day. Bones mend. Regret stays with you forever.” ~ Rothfuss
Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Postby Gwithian » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 6:09 am

the cabinet (grr where is that link)

getting the tank home

first FTS not sure how to take photos without my reflection yet

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Postby Gwithian » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 6:28 am

Got a nice surprise in the mail yesterday which is what has prompted me to start this TJ, finally feels like my tank is getting somewhere.

nice box's I hear you think :D thats my new ReefOctopus WaterBlaster return (5000 L/H) on top

The heart of my upcoming system, Im not sure how I go about setting this up, I might have to call on some fellow Reefers knowledge to get it all tuned in nicely, well packed tho. For all the gear heads its a ATB deluxe medium with the new Airstar Pro pump(1500 L/H). Exdemo but in verygood nick, im very happy.

FTS 2/12/10 (little scared im not sure if its going to fit in the cabinet lol)

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Postby Deester » Fri 03 Dec, 2010 7:40 pm

Heya Gwith :thumbsup:

Tank looks awesome man :-x Should be killer when running :nod:

Nice gear choice too man, that skimmer is huge :o Just yell out if you ever need a hand with anything mate :thumbsup:

Dee.
Deester
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Gwithian's 4x2x2

Postby Gwithian » Thu 09 Dec, 2010 6:50 am

Thanks Dee, its coming along nicely but would be nothing without all your help and input. Water in by Newyear :crossfingers:

My LEDs are in the country :clap: , I should have them by the weekend so im working on a lighting schedule

I'm hoping a 5 hours photo period of 2 120w BSLEDs will be right on the money, the room gets plenty of ambient light during the day so im not sure if the 1.5 hours at the start at 50% is really necessary, but will wait and see.

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Re: Gwithian's 4x2x2 (BSLED's arrived)

Postby Gwithian » Thu 16 Dec, 2010 8:44 pm

All I want for Christmas are my 2 120w BSLED Lights :)

As with all the things I have received via the mail so far they were really well packed. I even got timers set to Local time in China. Many thanks to Happen over at BSLED.

I guess a picture of the lights in action over my soon to be QT tank are needed next. Over the weekend ill clean it up a bit (been neglected with the excitement of the new tank) snap some photos and post them up. They are pumping out a phenomenal amount of light compared to the 150W MH I had the tank. Im very happy. So is my Duncan, Plate and Daisy Coral.

Thanks also to Chromus Matt and BB who pointed me in the LED direction over in the massive BSLED thread.

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Re: Gwithian's 4x2x2 (BSLED's Arrived)

Postby Gwithian » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 8:59 pm

As I said earlier excuse the bad husbandry, focus on the light :)

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Postby Gwithian » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 9:16 pm

And Today another parcel arrived in the mail. Thanks AoA, Im going the Seeded baserock approach that most people seem to be adopting lately. keep those hitch-hikers at bay.

40KG of Tahiti Base Rock (way to much by the way)

A boring pic but had to be done. Individually bubble wrapped pieces of rock lol. the Tahitians must think us reefers are insane.
so onto some aquascapeing

Keeping in mind I am somehow going to have to squeze in a Closed loop I thought maybe something along the lines of

also

Hmm I hate them both lol, back to the drawing board, maybe one box would have been enough :-s
Last edited by Gwithian on Wed 22 Dec, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Fri 17 Dec, 2010 9:21 pm

what did that skimmer set you back? my reef octopuss 5000 has the bubble blaster pump. you wont be disapointed its realy powerfull. :clap:
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Gwithian's 4x2x2 (Terrible Aquascapes)

Postby Gwithian » Sat 18 Dec, 2010 6:07 am

Hey Matt ill drop you a PM re: the skimmer. I haven't tested the pump or skimmer out yet but I am sure they are going to knock the socks off what I currently own. How noisy do you find your RO? Just hoping they aren't to noisy. Im in the process of ordering some Panworld CL pumps so with all that humming away I am beginning to worry about harmonic vibrations.

Thanks for reading
Brett

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Sat 18 Dec, 2010 10:03 am

the ro pump is great i can hear it sucking abit of air but not noises i do get vibrations in my main display but i think its my cheap return pump!
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby todd&sarah » Sat 18 Dec, 2010 12:35 pm

Gwithian wrote:Image

also

Hmm I hate them both lol, back to the drawing board, maybe one box would have been enough :-s

I think both of these are great. So much so, as I am stealing the first one for the new tank, and making it my own. :devil:

Tank is coming along great, keep up the good work. And please, if you have anymore ideas that you dont like, give them to me. :thumbsup:
Its always funny until someone gets hurts.......... And then its just hilarious!

Our Tank Journal
todd&sarah
Centurion Reefer

Postby Gwithian » Sun 19 Dec, 2010 6:33 am

mattgreen wrote:the ro pump is great i can hear it sucking abit of air but not noises i do get vibrations in my main display but i think its my cheap return pump!

Im going to start on my sump today, before I do ill throw some water and the RO in and see what noises we get. My current return pump is a cheap Chinese ripoff so cant be any louder than that surely :crossfingers:

todd&sarah wrote:I think both of these are great. So much so, as I am stealing the first one for the new tank, and making it my own. :devil:

Tank is coming along great, keep up the good work. And please, if you have anymore ideas that you dont like, give them to me. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words T&S, the first one is kind of growing on me(photo not comment :devil: ), it has lots and lots of flat spots for corals, does look like a massive rockwall in the tank tho which is a bit of an issue for the Gyre CL setup i want to try. Unfortunately none of my ideas are new, I wish i could claim some but all of mine have been thoroughly canned in other threads (who can forget my in weir fragrack design) everything in this TJ will have been borrowed from other TJs (your DIY moonlight is in my notepad on the to do list)

Anyway Today im working out how to put a bevel on the glass I have cut for my sump baffles and also going to try and work on making 2 bommies that im happy with (that will be a mission), Late last night lying in bed I decided they both need to be in a kind of horseshoe shape to hide my closed loop inlets and outlets.
more photos soon.

Brett

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Postby shake » Sun 19 Dec, 2010 9:48 am

Brett to get a bevel on the glass you cut, if you have a dremel there is a bit made for etching glass. This will put a nice bevel on the edge. Failing that get yourself a cheap 2 sided grinding stone from the hardware. Use the coarse side first followed by the fine side. Make sure your wet the stone as well. This will take a little time but will give you a nice finish.
shake
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Gwithian » Sun 19 Dec, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks Shake, I grabbed some emery paper and it worked a treat, not as good as a glazier but im not going to cut my fingers on it now so im happy. my silicone work so far is kind of crap (well a lot crap) but im telling myself its only a sump :D if i hate it that much ill get a tankmaker to redo it.

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Postby Gwithian » Sun 19 Dec, 2010 8:42 pm

New FTS 19/12/10.

I do have 2 LED lights 1 is over the soon to be QT tank tho. I also have 2 cats the other is a little bit shy it seems as this one (Crayola) is always in my shots.
Thats the aquascape im sticking with, I tried Bommies but just didnt have the room in a 4x2x2 to pull it off without the rocks being right up on the glass, I also got the sump done today, Its a tad messay so I want to clean it up a bit more before i post photos of it :)

Im using a Sony cybershot point and shoot camera to take these photos, anyone who wants to chime in with some advice on how to photograph my tank better with one of these would be my hero

Thanks for reading
Brett

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Re: Gwithian's 4x2x2

Postby Gwithian » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 8:04 pm

So today was the first day of my holidays, to mark such a grand occasion I opened up a parcel from wetearth that arrived a few days ago ( i swear my local post office hates me atm)

I thought i had ordered every piece concivable, but nope. Ive spent hours at the local plumbing store today buying still more bits and pieces. Finally after much head scratching

I guess a little bit of an explanation is in order.
The water will enter the sump from the DT behind the skimmer, it will go under the bubble trap and into the return section.
The return is T'ed off about 1/3 of the water will go straight back up into the display, the remaining 2/3rds will be sent to a RDSB(Blue wastepaper basket)
The RDSB is going to have to be a whole post in itself, so many things I have to nut out. needless to say it wont be in the blue basket (which is leaking like a sieve because Im to tight to silicone it and then have to buy new bulkheads)
Water exits the RDSB into my Refugium, back through a bubble trap to the return pump to start the cycle over again.

so what do you think? all good?

Heres what im working on over the next few days, input gladly received.

1) Where to put the T off to a chiller, I might even run it off its own little CL, hmmm more $$$
2) The Big one which I will be posting some more pics and what not in the ATB thread, How do I Tune the skimmer? those bubbles in the chamber hardly seem right to me.
3) Because of the different flow requirements of DSB's and refugiums im planning to T off at the exit of the RDSB and with a ballvalve to adjust how much flow i want into the refudgium, Ill then shoot the rest of the water straight into the return section. Im also putting a safety in incase the silly thing blocks up.

Thanks for reading, hopefully its not to confusing.
Brett

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Re: Gwithian's 4x2x2 (sumptastic)

Postby PaulG » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 8:21 pm

Keep a good eye on teh return section...... your evap is likely to be high enough empty half that section

Oh and if you are running fresh water atm... your skimmer won't bubble properly......
PaulG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Gwithian » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 8:27 pm

PaulG wrote:Keep a good eye on teh return section...... your evap is likely to be high enough empty half that section

yeah Ill eventually have my tunze osmolator in there, your right tho i should work on a back up for the back up just incase. The heater i bought off you btw dosnt fit lol.

PaulG wrote:Oh and if you are running fresh water atm... your skimmer won't bubble properly......

yep its freshwater, thanks for the quick reply, saved me looking like an idiot in the ATB thread :D

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Postby PaulG » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 8:32 pm

Gwithian wrote:
PaulG wrote:Keep a good eye on teh return section...... your evap is likely to be high enough empty half that section

yeah Ill eventually have my tunze osmolator in there, your right tho i should work on a back up for the back up just incase. The heater i bought off you btw dosnt fit lol.

PaulG wrote:Oh and if you are running fresh water atm... your skimmer won't bubble properly......

yep its freshwater, thanks for the quick reply, saved me looking like an idiot in the ATB thread :D

Ummm... what heater you bought off me?

its ok, I asked the same question when I had FW running in my system ;)
PaulG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 8:33 pm

yea fresh water doesent foam. looks to be all good. any reason why you went with that design sump?
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Gwithian » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 8:40 pm

mattgreen wrote:yea fresh water doesent foam. looks to be all good. any reason why you went with that design sump?

mainly because all my DT pipes were coming down the left hand side but I only had room for the RDSB on the right, I was also going to build in a water change and hospital tank arrangement, but ran out of room.

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Wed 22 Dec, 2010 8:46 pm

hospital tank wouldnt realy work cause its on the same water (treatments would affect the display tank) seems like it should work.
whens the tank getting wet?
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Gwithian » Sun 26 Dec, 2010 11:21 am

mattgreen wrote:hospital tank wouldnt realy work cause its on the same water (treatments would affect the display tank)

It all worked out nicely in sketchup, I was going to have the height in the Hospital section adjustable, would have just dropped it a little lower when in use so it was cut off from the system, I ran out of room tho :(

mattgreen wrote:whens the tank getting wet?

Not for awhile, Ive got to redo the floor covering (well lack of) in the room the tanks going in, waiting on the Sales to buy the stuff, Im aiming for around a wet date of Australia day.

PaulG wrote:Ummm... what heater you bought off me?

Was sure i bought it of you, must have been another reefer in Doncaster.

Little update, Im working on plumbing at the moment. Dam all those little bits of PVC add up, Ive blown my Budget thrice over and still going to be hitting up the Local plumbtech store tomorrow. :wall: Because of the lack of room behind my tank I cant plumb the pipes plumb(funny couple of words strung together there), they are 25mm out which for me is a huge aesthetics issue :furious: Im chopping the guts out off my Hansen fittings as much as i dare but have only made up around 12mm. I hate makeing compromises with my tank but i cant see a way around this problem.

Anyway back to the glue sniffing I guess, I think if I paint all those white fittings black it may hide it a little bit.

Brett

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Tue 28 Dec, 2010 7:54 pm

OOOOO looks good bro :) hope it comes out good....Nice skimmer :) and i like the final rock work it looks good.... are you going to have sps lps or softies????
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby ng82sam » Thu 30 Dec, 2010 9:47 am

Hey...

Nice Aquascaping!

I'm with mattgreen re: hospital tank. It really shouldn't be in the same water. Just incase you need to treat one day. either with medication or hypo salinity. U will need to separate the water.

Anyway...nice work. keep us posted.
ng82sam
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Gwithian » Sat 08 Jan, 2011 11:10 pm

kj52faith wrote:.... are you going to have sps lps or softies????

Im still a major reefing noob so I will be starting with softies while I slowly get my head around all the chemistry and gadgets involved in keeping SPS, SPS is what I eventually want long term tho, which is why today I spent 3 nerve racking hours drilling holes in my brand new never seen water baby.

I was sweating like a crazy, will this be the last picture of my non cracked baby?

Ta da

6 holes all drilled, my tank is future proof :thumbsup: They may seem to be in a weird places, but a lot of that has to do with the bracing under the tank which is a little bit weird (who's idea was it to have draws directly under the tank /sigh) I wont be getting my CL pumps for awhile but when im ready I will be getting two pumps which will hopefully enable me to have a gyre flow system. The two holes in the back wall (bastard to drill because couldn't move the tank so had to drill horizontally and still keep the bit wet) will be my pump intakes, I chose to put them in the back wall to keep them up off the substrate a bit(dont want to suck any sand into the pumps). The 4 holes in the base will be aimed at the glass to get the gyre effect happening.

A VERY big thankyou to surfhead and galleri, you guys helped so much with getting me to this stage of my CL :crossfingers: we dont leak, but thats what my next update will be all about :devil:

Brett

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Re: Gwithian's holey 4x2x2 (CL holes drilled)

Postby Gwithian » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 8:44 am

Well glad to report no leaks, althougth i dont have the CL yet so there is still a chance it will fail the preassure test.

Just a quick (and final yay) plumbing update, hopefully the tank will never be this far from a wall again for me to be able to photograph.

so from Left to right in order of appearance.

Water change drain: I just screw a hose on and let gravity do the work for me.
Backup Standpipe: I figured if its in use the least of my problems is 90degree elbows and detris straight into my refugium. I might put a sock on it tho just incase.
Light stand: that extension lead was a pita to get up there.
Full Syphon: more bends than i would have liked, but I managed to make all the bends 45degree elbows
Light stand:
CL Intake 1: please dont leak
CL Intake 2: :crossfingers:
Open Channel Standpipe: still waiting on a John Guest fitting but works nicely with a $2 irrigation valve from Bunnings
Return:

Backs on, Tank is in place. Wet very soon.

Thanks for reading
Brett

Gwithian
Veteran Reefer

Re: Gwithian's 4x2x2 (Final plumbing layout)

Postby damer » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 9:11 am

coming along nicely Brett.
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
damer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Sponsor

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)