• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Lukey's New 3x3x20" Halide Wave Tank (HWT) (NOW WITH FTS)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Lukey's New 3x3x20" Halide Wave Tank (HWT) (NOW WITH FTS

Postby blacjack » Wed 23 Feb, 2011 4:11 pm

Man that sucks about your loses, but good to see you've still got your chin up mate. Won't take long to get back to it's former glory though :cheers:
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Wed 23 Feb, 2011 7:23 pm

Thanks mate, fingers crossed. I've been working hard since I got back home, making sure levels are all where they should be. Cleaned all the glass (that was seriously hard with 3 weeks of solid growth). Got the credit card out for cleaning it :roflmao:

Also just about finished the stand today, hopefully have some pictures tomorrow if the paint dries quickly enough.

Thanks again for kind words, gives a good boost to spirits :)
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby peekandboo » Wed 23 Feb, 2011 11:47 pm

damn your still kicking :tongue: :devil: , Hope your holiday was great. Let me know if you need any help and corals :thumbsup:
peekandboo
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Thu 24 Feb, 2011 6:41 pm

:thumbsup: Looking foward to the pics mate
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby yellowface_iidiotbot » Fri 25 Feb, 2011 12:42 pm

Love your tank! Sorry to hear about your losses :wall:

I think I vaguely remember seeing it in the back of St George when I was first planning my tank with Laurie!! (was thinking it was a very sexy tank =P)
~Maggie~
M&D's
the more i know the less i know
yellowface_iidiotbot
Centurion Reefer

Postby ianmackenz » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 10:37 am

Very Nice Lukey....your sps are beautiful. I can't wait to get more of those and of course a few clams. But I'm being nice and patient for all to settle in well and establish first before I add any more SPS....BTW Where in Newy are U?
Ian
ianmackenz
Curious Reefer

Postby Lukey » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 4:58 pm

peekandboo wrote:damn your still kicking :tongue: :devil: , Hope your holiday was great. Let me know if you need any help and corals :thumbsup:

Consider it done! :devil: :bow:

blacjack wrote::thumbsup: Looking foward to the pics mate

Incoming! Thanks :thumbsup:

yellowface_iidiotbot wrote:Love your tank! Sorry to hear about your losses :wall:

I think I vaguely remember seeing it in the back of St George when I was first planning my tank with Laurie!! (was thinking it was a very sexy tank =P)

Thanks, it sucks but what can ya do. Nobody to blame but myself so moving on! Yeah it's quite a nice tank i'm really enjoying it so far, and the depth is perfect for the height of my stand, don't need to get up on chairs all the time etc. Good builder that Laurie, it's very solidly built...

ianmackenz wrote:Very Nice Lukey....your sps are beautiful. I can't wait to get more of those and of course a few clams. But I'm being nice and patient for all to settle in well and establish first before I add any more SPS....BTW Where in Newy are U?
Ian

Hey mate, thanks very much, slowly getting there. I have a couple of clams, Pete at Oceanarium is where you wanna go to, he's fantastic and does great prices. Think he has a big one for $100 at the moment actually, personally i've found them fairly hardy, but the bigger ones can suck the magnesium out of your water pretty quickly. Patience is definately good to have mate, gets you a long way! I'm in Shortland, will have to have a beer sometime, really need to organise a get together for the Newy crew!

Now, for an update, pictures taken before I put carbon into the tank, in hindsight I should take them again now water is clearer etc but it's hot and I cbf :roflmao: :roflmao:
Enjoy!

New anemone from Newcastle reefer needing to offload, it's a bit bleached but seems to have found it's spot and hopefully will recover nicely. Time will tell!

Plenty of new growth on this one, and surprisingly has turned blue tipped even through the disaster!

[edit: Just reviewed post, the tips aren't THAT "luminescent" on this one, imageshack is playing funny buggers I think. Have only adjusted exposure on all images (except for carbon shots, they're straight from camera). Still, they are a nice blue]

Little pocci(?) is going very well, thing grows fast! Was a tiny little frag when I first got it.

Snapped this tiny piece off pink mille when originally got it, amazing it it is not only alive, but also encrusting nicely. Just wedged it into some rockwork as a "what the heck", and it survives!

Bleached crispa, it's coming back but gosh it was seriously bleached from the temperature rise, was so nice and purple before hand too.

Acans getting their hungry on, so glad these nice orange ones survived, tough buggers.

Elegance, moved it and just keeps getting bigger now, happily will eat an entire prawn (but hey, it's eaten an entire cardinal in the past so...)

Again, another tiny tiny frag I knocked off by mistake, probably no more than 1mm of flesh left on it, thought what the hell why not try put it on a plug, and amazingly is encrusting even through all the drama.

Stoked, finally a half decent shot of the yellow tang, love this fish, so beautiful, and so easy going.

Before carbon:

After carbon:

Finally got the doors on the tank, and the best bit, my electricals are no longer on the ground in puppy zone but now on the doors inside the cabinet, Aimee has never been so happy :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

The carbon has made a huge difference, just to give you an idea, photos taken round same time of day with blinds closed, and the same iso/aperture/shutter speed to give a reasonable comparison. It had made a world of difference, the tank needed it badly. Even Aimee commented on how "crisp" the tank looks now. Thanks to Ben from Argy's for sorting me out with some decent carbon too, and just having a chat in general.

Thanks for looking!!! :thumbsup:
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Onsan » Sat 26 Feb, 2011 5:07 pm

looking good Lukey!
reckon you might have to do some transplant surgery on those nems one day... :)

love the sps frag in pic 7, looks real natural.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby Lukey » Mon 28 Feb, 2011 9:03 pm

Onsan wrote:looking good Lukey!
reckon you might have to do some transplant surgery on those nems one day... :)
love the sps frag in pic 7, looks real natural.

Haha yeah they got pretty smashed by heat, but seem happy enough right now so letting them do their thing. Crispa has been such a good nem, stays put and is very easy going. Clowns constantly burying into it.

Tank in room, finally cleared away some of the sh*t from round it, little more to go yet! Think it's time for the hood next :roflmao:

Future frag tank, 120w led unit over a tiny 2fter, hopefully it'll be bright enough :roflmao:
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby old_mr2 » Tue 01 Mar, 2011 10:16 am

That reflector is doing a great job! So much light! I want it back :(
old_mr2
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Tue 01 Mar, 2011 11:38 am

Looks great Luke.
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby terbit » Tue 01 Mar, 2011 4:38 pm

StripestheEel wrote:Looks great Luke.

:withyou:
Luke let me know if you want another Big Ass Sinularia only this time you can come here and get it lol
:cheers:
terbit
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby locuus » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:00 pm

Hows this chalice doing?

Nice tank by the way :)
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Postby old_mr2 » Wed 18 Jan, 2012 9:09 am

You still around mate?
old_mr2
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 4:32 pm

Alrighty, has been a long time, so going to throw up an update!

Tank was neglected for quite a few months, began to be over run by Xenia, so just recently I decided enoguh is enough, culle dit all back and started to work on my water chemistry once more. Alk was down at 5.7, Calcium was down to 350, and Mag was right down to 1100. And yet, corals were still growing and the tank as a whole was doing very well. Just furthers my ideas that it's more about consistency than it is the -perfect- levels. My tanks have always appreciated and responded better to STABILITY than they have being constantly poked and prodded. I know those levels are so far out it isn't funny, and yet the tank has been running at that for over 4 months now, go figure.

Also, the pump feeding my macro bucket died about 5 months ago when I was away from home. The macro died, and that was that. Upon returning home I filled the bucket with Xenia, just to see how it went. I've always found when my tank has Xenia in it, all round nutrients seem to remain much more under control. If there's excess nutrients, typically,t he Xenia just multiply and grow faster. I have no doubts Xenia act as a big part of my systems filtration, seeing as though prior to the other week I hadn't emptied the skimmer for ~2 months, and have no macro running in the system, no DSB, etc.

So anyways, whilst growth hasn't been fantastic, the water quality and maintenance on my part has been crap so i'm not surprised by this. That said, the only losses I sustained were by Xenia growing over things (lost my red chalice to this).

Onto the photos!
So cleaned most of the DT out of Xenia (well from the main rockwork) but now I need to get into my weir... Yep, that's a 20" high column 90% full of Xenia growing onto glass...

I lost my largest Sinularia, from my previous seahorse tank in the great chiller stuff up of 2011. Anyways, I had previously fragged a tiny ~5cm arm of it. Needless to say, i'm pretty happy with its growth rate. It sits right in front of the wave box and LOVES IT:

Chalice, note the flesh towards the bottom of the photo, that's where Xenia started to grow over it :wall:

The green dallas, in hindsight I shouldn't have put it at the back... Great colours and grows fast, even with the nem -constantly- stinging it :roflmao:

Some of the absolutely tiny frags I had last updated,

This one did nothing for ages, then all of a sudden a few months ago took off. Since adjusting levels in past week, it has really reacted well and started to colour up significantly more:
Previous:
Now:

Terrible photo, i'll get another one... Had to pump exposure 50 million times due to being lazy when taking the photo... But just to compare to what this tiny frag was :)
Previous:
Now:

Just to show the sheer growth on this one... (sorry a poor comparison, but cant find another photo... You get the idea)
Previous:
Now:

Branches becoming quite thick:

Hidden treasures, I lost these tsar polyps in the tank when I very first started it up, noticed them a few months ago. No idea how they started there...

To put some perspective on this, that gap is about 30cm wide, so the Elegance is now getting very large indeed!

Acans doing well as usual, started spot feeding them more so they're very eager for food lately...

Poor little frag was form the pink colony, however it copped the Xenia rampage as well, thankfully has managed to recover, was looking pretty rough for a while there though, love how it has encrusted:

Another comparison (it's the one in the background!):
Then:
Now:

And lastly my clams which are still doing very well and just keep getting bigger and bigger!

Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby terbit » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi Lukey
Mate good to see you and your tank are still going :thumbsup:
It has been a while so don't be such a stranger :roflmao:
terbit
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 6:04 pm

terbit wrote:Hi Lukey

Once a year is enough of that face of yours mate.... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby terbit » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 6:07 pm

Lukey wrote:
terbit wrote:Hi Lukey

Once a year is enough of that face of yours mate.... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Behave boofhead I've still got a big stick :roflmao:
terbit
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby chromus » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 6:12 pm

terbit wrote:.Behave boofhead I've still got a big stick

And someone beat u in the face with it a bunch :poke:
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby terbit » Fri 16 Mar, 2012 9:28 pm

chromus wrote:
terbit wrote:.Behave boofhead I've still got a big stick

And someone beat u in the face with it a bunch :poke:

You behave as well Phil :devil:
terbit
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Dribs » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 4:53 pm

Hey there fellow Novacastrian.

Love the tank! :thumbsup:

Just wondering how much your 250w MH heats up the tank and whether you have a chiller? I am considering one for my 3'x14"x20" without a chiller.

Cheers!
Dribs
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby reefsecretsaquariums » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 5:09 pm

looking great mate ... :cheers:
REEF SECRETS AQUARIUMS (07) 55356996
unit 2 number 9 Kortum Drive, Burleigh Heads . darren@reefsecrets.com.au
Reef Secrets Facebook Page
http://www.reefsecrets.com.au/

Australian Reefing Connection
EMAIL ME INSTEAD OF PMs IT FILLS UP TO QUICKLY. I CAN CHECK EMAILS FASTER.
I DONT WORK ON MONDAYS >>> ITS MY ONLY DAY OFF .
reefsecretsaquariums
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASA Partner
RTAW Registered Business
MASQ Supporter

Postby n0rk » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 5:25 pm

Dude, you could've sold all that Xenia to alternative reefers for their refugiums for a bomb! :roflmao:
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
n0rk
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Lukey » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 5:39 pm

Dribs wrote:Hey there fellow Novacastrian.

Love the tank! :thumbsup:

Just wondering how much your 250w MH heats up the tank and whether you have a chiller? I am considering one for my 3'x14"x20" without a chiller.

Cheers!

Thanks very much, it's been a bit neglected but ah well.

I have a chiller, I -have- to have one. It just gets too hot here (shortland), MH or not. If you had aircon you run frequently I doubt it'd be an issue, but no air con here and a crappy breeze. The MH definately heats the tank up, though not a massive amount imo. It's more all the submersed pumps which directly heat the water, return pump, chiller pump, flow pumps, skimmer pump, etc. When you add them all together it's a lot of watts worth of submersed heating. The lights have a window behind them open, but the submersed pumps have nowhere to transfer heat but into the water.

Chillers are cheap now, I paid ~$300 for my Hailea HC-250A a year or so ago, and it's truly an amazing investment... Buy them second hand in winter as opposed to summer, save yaself some coin ;)

reefsecretsaquariums wrote:looking great mate ...

Greatly appreciated! May be up your way in coming months, i'll bring the scuba gear so I can check out the store. :roflmao: Hope all has been going well mate! :cheers:
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Lukey » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 5:40 pm

n0rk wrote:Dude, you could've sold all that Xenia to alternative reefers for their refugiums for a bomb! :roflmao:

About that, wait till you see the photo i'll put up shortly :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Lukey
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Assist » Thu 05 Apr, 2012 6:16 pm

Nice dallas :-x Fts looks good too.
Assist
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Dribs » Fri 06 Apr, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks mate! :thumbsup:

Appreciate the advice and can't wait for more updates

:pirate: