• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Eclip's Mixed reef - Closed Down ready for Nano

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Eclip's Mixed reef - Closed Down ready for Nano

Postby Eclip » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 6:05 pm

Introduction:
Hi all i I have gained interest in ornamental fish over the past few years and a few trips to the GBR and have always wanted a slice of it in an inside aquarium. Yet to have the wife interested but she cant really picture it without it being there although she likes fish in genneral so fingers crossed :wink:

System Objectives: To start with will be a FOWLR setup to allow the tank to mature with a dabble at some zoas/softies. Once tank is establised i will upgrade my lighting and have a bit better idea of what corals i would like to keep.

System Type: FOWLR to begin with with the eventual objective of Mixed Reef.

Display System:

Strike up Date: 7th October 2010

Display Tank: Tank is a 120cm L x 35.5cm W by 46cm H approx 200L. Its a Tank i got off a friend that was sitting in his shed.

Display Lighting: A 4X39W T5 unit from the same friend for free. It looks like a solarmax guppies unit but should be fine until the system is established since it will only be a FOWLR to begin with. *Now with a ATI aquablue Plus and Blue Plus as well as 2 10K tubes*

Stand: DIY 6 post open stand to be clad later if the wife says it needs to fit with the furniture. 75cm top height

Sump: No sump

Refugium: Going with a custom above tank acrylic refugium designed in collabration with an aquaculture farmer.

Refugium Lighting: Currently going to use 2X24W T5's with reflectors to increase growth of macro

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: The custom refugium will have approximatly 3,000 Lph through it. 1X Hydor copy 3000Lph and 1 Tunze 6025 2500Lph on opposite sides blowing across the front of my rock work and one behind and through.

Fuge Pump: AquaBee UP 3000

Skimmer: deltec mce600 300LPH model added June 2011

Evaporation Top Up:Will be manual to begin with with the addition of a ATO shortly after as i know it will become tedious.

Heaters[b] 200W Ehiem Jager heater

[b]Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: no corals but will keep in check

Alkilinity Addition: test and add as required

Other Chemical Maintenance:

Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates: 0ppm
Phosphates: unknown
Alkalinity: 9.5
Calcium: 500
Salinity / Specific Gravity: will aim for 1.026
Magnesuim: unknown

Total volume for system will be approximately 200L
Current FTS

Photos are of average quality since dont have a good camera anymore.

Tank and stand prior to painting

Went to bunnings and asked to get some sample paints in gloss black and they told me that they dont do them as they only have sample paints of certain tints??
I found some Knight interior acrylic paint in Black gloss and it worked a treat. Got some 1200 wet and dry to rough up the back a little and the paint adhered really well. After 3 coats it looks like this now

Purchased a couple of 10,000 K bulbs as 2 were broken and tightend up the lighting unit as everything was a little loose and rattly currently has 2 el cheapo coral blue and 2 sylvanian 10,000K tubes.

Front Shot

I may switch one of the blue for a 12-14K when i get some zoas if they need more light. It looks a little too blue but may look a little different when its wet.

Finished my fuge box. Borrowed some designed off the web for an acrylic box that some guy called Santamonica used for an algae scrubber. I thought if the macro isnt as good as it seams for nutrient export then could easily switch to an algae scrubber type system while i source a skimmer etc. Can you tell i like to experiment with everything i do yet??

Acrylic fuge box finished.

Angle Shot

Front on with some pieces of acrylic added to let it dry square properly.

Just waiting on my pump, heater, refractometer and 20kg of rock to arrive in the mail and i will almost be ready to get it wet.

Just ordered an ATI Blue Plus and aquablue special from reefing life for a great price so i should be able to tune the display colour the way i like it now.
More updates once rock work and rest of the equipment arrive. Going to go for an open rock work look with minimal rock usage with a medium bommie and a smaller one.
Last edited by Eclip on Mon 31 Oct, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 30 times in total.
MASAOG COMMITTEE MEMBER 2012
Eclip's Sumpless CLOSED DOWN
---------------------------------
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclip's 200L Experiment

Postby benjaminjames » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 6:19 pm

wow good start man. loving the above tank fuge
benjaminjames
Bicentenary Reefer
QLD Reefer

Postby Assist » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 6:25 pm

nice mate finally a TJ woo. now aqua scaping thats the bit that did my head in dont worry it will never look right. lol
Assist
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 6:43 pm

I thought wat better way to tinker then to go all bio filtration. see how it pans out. Having a physics background this bio stuff is a little dark art but see how it goes.

I have already set myself that it will never look right but i have some idea of what i want it to look like so i guess thats the biggest battle.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby Assist » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 6:52 pm

good luck i pulled mine down 20times i reackon lol
Assist
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclips FOWLR - Its Wet

Postby Eclip » Thu 07 Oct, 2010 2:46 pm

Now its wet i thought i should add some more pictures as everyone loves pictures.
Filled the tank 3/4 and have put in about 10kg of live rock.

I have about another 20kg of base rock that i have scrubbed once already but i should give it another scrub i think prior to putting it in the tank.

Here it is with the ATI Blue plus and a 10K globe

And with the ATi aquablue special and with a 10K tube.

It doesnt change the colour much just makes it brighter which is good. Admittedly the tubes were only on for about a minute before photos so it will become brighter one the tubes and ballasts warm up to working tempreture. I may try switching the blue plus and the aquablue special on the same switch and check the colour but i am liking the colour atm its just the right amount of blue. Will proberly only need two of the tubes on for the FOWLR but may use the 2X 10K to keep some softies alive at the top of the tank maybe.

The next fun bit will be washing the base rock i have and finally deciding on an aquascape.......
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclips FOWLR - Its Wet - New Pics 7th Oct

Postby Eclip » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 11:57 am

Finished Washing the base rock and waited for the smell to disapear (i assume the smell is any material that is decaying that was traped inside, will help with cycling anyways i guess) took about 4 days with a water change in an esky everyday and 2 powerheads running 24/7.

I had a go at aquascaping and have to come to something i like. I made some parts fairly high to the light so that i can maybe get some softies or some low light LPS going on the cheapy light i have. Mite do the trick. also have left room for a zoa garden out to the left and maybe some lobos over there when i upgrade my lighting. wanted plenty of swimming space yet some caves to give the inhabitants somewhere to hide.

Just waiting for the bits and pieces to settle so i can suck them out. The structure is fairly far back and angled on the right side toward the back so that the powerhead on the left can blow through the rock structure to keep it free from debris. This allows another powerhead to be placed in the right corner where the above tank fuge outputs to blow the filtered water across the front. This gives a swirl water motion around the tank and hopefully will carry any material to the pump inlet which will be behind the rock work as well minimising the sight of any equipment in the tank.

I will be adding a sandy bottom once any debris has settled and doing a water change prior to the sandy bottom. I havent placed the heater in yet but it will hide behind the rock structre (tank is at 23C in the morning and around that at night at present). Does anyone know of a decent product i can use to glue parts of the strucutre together to give it some more support like super glue gel? or should i just use the aqukneedit?
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclips FOWLR - Its Wet - AquaSculpt 12th Oct

Postby rnscross » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 4:39 pm

what type of fish are you looking at putting in there?
rnscross
Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 4:50 pm

I have been contemplating a harem of centropage angels at present but not sure on the exact type maybe Ebli's or even some flames if i can find them for a decent price. Wrasse are interesting but i need to do some more reading on them first and possibly some dragonetts/pipe fish later on. I have always liked angels and the tank is too small for a tang apart form maybe a kole tang but i cant seam to find many and i still think it would be cruel. So pygmy angels are the next best thing. Would love to get a sailfin when i upgrade the tank but i dont see that happening for a few years.

I dont want to overstock it but a harem of angels would satisfy me.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby rnscross » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 9:56 pm

angels and corals 'can' work(im doing it), but when i was looking into it the centropage can be hit and miss with reefs. mine took a few bites out of a new torch but stopped there, thankfully.
rnscross
Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Tue 12 Oct, 2010 10:06 pm

Yeah i have been reading up on many peoples experiences with them. I would like to keep only a few different corals mainly which are not said to be angel safe lobo's, favi's etc. If they are well fed i believe it wont be much of a problem or at least mitigate much of the problem. Alot of the time angels are eating the mucus off of LPS corals and not actually eat them which i see as them being hungry. But i believe that it is indeed possible and more likely to happen to tentacle type corals to be eaten as opposed to grazed upon like many others. I would be interested to see anyone else successfully keeping angels with LPS corals
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Wed 13 Oct, 2010 8:06 pm

Washed substrate and put in heater mounted behind rockwork so it is hidden with power head blowing directly over it.
Looks a little cloudy. It is a fine substrate at 0.5-1mm but it should settle down and compact hard once its settled for a while.
Last edited by Eclip on Wed 03 Nov, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby rnscross » Thu 14 Oct, 2010 9:42 pm

the eibli angel i have in my tank doesnt touch my corals, and i have lps. it does however constantly pick at algae and so i think it doesnt matter how much you feed them they will still pick at them if they are inclined. I think its more about individual fish as to whether they will or wont touch the corals, the biggest tip i got was to get a small one so that they grow up not eating coral on the reef.
rnscross
Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Thu 21 Oct, 2010 4:09 pm

Always a good plan to get small ones they adapt to aquarium life better then older fish.

I have nutted out what i would like to keep as far as fish. Seeing as it will be fish dominated
1 x Bi colour blenny or lawnmower Blenny
1 x Pair of cardinals (PJ or bangaii) cant seam to decide between them.
1 x Pair of mandarin dragonettes
2-3 x Centropage angels likley (eibli, flames or heralds)

Possibly 1 pair of clowns although this may be far too many fish for the size tank. I will be upgrading to a 4X2X2 or a 5X2X2 at some stage in the next year so that they should all be housed more comfortably with the possible addition of a sailfin tang (always liked em) if i get a 5X2X2.

Corals:
I would like to keep some LPS once i upgrade my lights later on and get a stable system. Looking mostly at lobos, Blastos, acans and scollys with some zoas to start with while i get the hang of coral care.
Possibly some hammer and torch corals aswel.

The tank sand storm has settled and will get some pics up possibly tonight.
Last edited by Eclip on Wed 03 Nov, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby WarbyD » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 11:31 am

I have a flame angel and a coral beauty in a slightly larger tank (only slightly... roughly 120 x 40 x 60 with curved glass) and so far have had no issues with either of them touching my corals... haven't had them for long yet though (the flame ~1 month and the beauty ~3 months) so wouldn't call it a "success" just yet :)

Ive got them in with torch, hammer, acan, leathers, morphs, zoas, etc..

-Dave
My OceanFree Nano Marine 96L (the new addiction!)

My AquaReef 400 (My old tank - long since shut down!)

RTAW Business Guidelines | RTAW Reefpedia | Join your local MASx!!

Check out (and "Like!") the MASWA FaceBook Page!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they are not entitled to their own facts, Daniel Patrick Moynihan (March 16, 1927 – March 26, 2003). A four-term U.S. Senator, ambassador, administration official, and academic
WarbyD
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Eclip » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 4:38 pm

Good to hear I have always liked angels. Shouldnt be too far away form starting to look for a nice pair or a small trio. Mite start to add a small frag of a few corals and see if they will actually grow in my tank. I have been getting a little green algae on some of my rocks but i have only been ghost feeding small amounts so i wont have large amounts of nutrients in the water. Test kit is coming this week so i can get some actual results on levels.

Mite be able to pick up some nice small frags at the MASOG crawl on the weekend
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Eclips FOWLR - Update 25/10 Sandstorm Settled

Postby Eclip » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 7:56 pm

Just a quick update most of the sand has settled and i have got some new Timers and have set the lighting cycle to 12hours. Everyone loves pictures so here goes.
FTS

End on

As you can see the water is still a little dirty with some suspended substrate still. It is because i have had to play with the outlet of my overtank fuge. The water volume i have been passing through it is around the 2500-3000LPH mark and it was blowing the substrate all over the place. After 2 days for it all to settle I ended up using a foot valve strainer to diffuse the output flow. it works well with the substrate staying put now :cheers:

I know the aqua bee placement is not ideal but it is almost un-noticable when looking at it due to the black background. Its pickup strainer is on a rock at present so that it doesn't suck up a guts full of substrate as that would wreck the impeller pretty quick i would think. I will be fashioning a curved piece of acrylic for it shortly so that it sucks completely from the water column but a rock is the best i can do in the mean time till i can get some acrylic off-cuts.

I need to give the inside of the tank a good clean when i get a mag-cleaner shortly. Probably need another power head for the right hand side at some point as well.
Last edited by Eclip on Thu 28 Oct, 2010 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclips FOWLR - Update 25/10 Sandstorm Settled

Postby Thommo01 » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 1:02 am

Comming along nicley Eclip. I like the rock layout too. The little bommie looks cool next to the larger layout.

Keep us posted. Not long and there will be some colour hey :thumbsup:
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclips FOWLR - Update 25/10 Sandstorm Settled

Postby Eclip » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 9:10 am

Here is hoping. Had this setup for a few weeks now with its new inhabitants. Ive had a foam cartridge power head in the tank since day one and its been providing extra circulation. Got a new toy to replace it as i have setup my hospital tank now.

I hate going to the LFS as it always ends with me with no money and a few goodies.
Ended up getting a API Saltwater Test Kit and a Carbonate hardness kit to keep my levels in check. I will need a Po and Ca kits when i start with corals though.

Levels are as follows
NSW
pH 8
ammonia 0-0.1
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10

I did only throw a fresh piece of prawn in there yesterday so that is the reason for the little bit of ammonia.
Last edited by Eclip on Thu 04 Nov, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclips FOWLR - 3/11 Clarkii's in and first Coral

Postby Eclip » Wed 03 Nov, 2010 4:27 pm

Residents are a pair of black captive bread clarkaii clowns which have gone through a 3% Hydrogen peroxide in salt water dip for 5 minutes and been in my quaritine tank for close on 2 weeks. To make sure they dont have white spot i did the 3 day swap and have been doing so for the past 12 days. So last night i added them to the tank. They never showed any white spots at all and i gave them a quick dip in a 3% peroxide bath prior to adding them to the tank.

They settled in quickly and hid under the rock ledge on the right untill i brought out the food then they came straight out.

I got a small frag that i found for cheap. I thought i would try it out since it is one of the hardiest LPS corals. It is a Symphllia agaricia or so was labeled but looks more like a radians due to the smaller valleys but need to wait till it fully opens before i can tell properly. I have placed it on the small bommie and will give it a few days to recover and then evaluate if i need to move it higher up for more light (it proberly will need to). Excuse the very dirty glass as havent cleaned it for a week and have been playing with the substrate.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclips FOWLR - Update 2nd of November

Postby Eclip » Wed 03 Nov, 2010 6:48 pm

Been giving the clowns 2-3 feedings a day. First feed in the tank for the clowns and I noticed the coral had its tenticles out trying to grab some food so I may give it a Target feed tonight b4 lights out.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclips FOWLR - Update 2nd of November

Postby Eclip » Thu 04 Nov, 2010 3:13 pm

FTS
Yes my glass is still dirty as and will stay that way until i buy a new mag cleaner as mine was sitting inthe sun and got very hot and has little to no magnitism left :(

Left End

Right End

Coral Feeding time

Little diatom bloom started

Got some hermit crabs to cruze around and have been doing a good job at turning the sand keeping it free of any bits that the clowns miss so far so thats good.
The clowns like to sit between the large rock sturcture and the bommie just hapilly swimming against the curret. I think they are quite lazy as most of the left over food particles come swirling past them just at that point as well.

They go sleep in the corner when the lights go out and have moved some substrate around to form a nest. Clowns sure are characters
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Re: Eclip's Mixed reef - Update 2nd of November

Postby Eclip » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 3:36 pm

Not much is new i have a GHA outbreak even though i am using biological filtration. I am getting a little overrun in my fuge. i originally added some Chlorodesmis, Enteromorpha and some Ulva to seed the fuge. It has taken off with the Chlorodesmis and Enteromorpha out compenting the ulva. I have been geting mainly Chlorodesmis in my display so it must have gone sexual and spread. I need to chop at it more often i think to stop it spreading into the display. Teething problems but it seams to be getting better now and have started to reducing feeding a little to get the alage to stay in the fuge. I have more then likly been overfeeding since it is only my two small clowns at the moment and prolly geen giving them 2-3 pinches and most of the food hits the substrate. Will test the water tonight again. I gave it a 60L waterchange (30%) to help clear up any small substrate particles out of the water as it is still not really clear.

Been thinking about making a weir to clean off the small amunt of surface scum that is starting to accumilate.

Hopefully the algae in the display wont last long once i get some angels.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby shannonpayne86 » Wed 17 Nov, 2010 7:43 pm

Get a Kole tang, it will be gone in no time!! looking good though mate. Keep the updates up, i'm watching.
shannonpayne86
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Thu 18 Nov, 2010 12:58 am

Sorry I missed the updates Eclip.

Comming along nicely. How you finding the clowns. Fun to watch.

How many Hermits do you have running around in there?
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 8:04 pm

I only have 2 hermits but they are a little disappointing 1 is very active climbing all over the rock work the other buries in the sand and doesnt move much. I added 2 trouch snails and they have gone bannanas on the algae especially the back pane of glass and starting on the rockwork now.

I noticed i am getting very small hydroids on the front glass now and the cyno is going and being replaced with algae in the sand bed.

I went to see my friend that wanted a tank and i said i would help him. last week he rings me and says come over hes worried about his fish. i was like what fish... I grabbed a small container of water from my tank and raced over there when i got there he had some clowns and a very lucky little pearl scale mimic tang. The clowns were floating and the small juv mimic tang was swimming around on his side in circles looking very sick. He is doing very well now and is recovering in my hospital tank and eating well very skinny but eating well now.

Lucky it is one of the smaller tangs so that he will be ok in my small tank until i can upgrade early next year to keep him happy long term.

I have been looking for a stromb to keep the sand bed clean but havent been lucky enough to find one in Adelaide yet yet

Working on a fan setup since its pushing 31-33C in Adelaide atm
-Surface skimmer/overflow
-relocating pump for fuge to outside of aquarum as heat is starting to creep up 28C :S

current FTS

lucky little fish saved from certain death

He refused food to begin with so i put a small piece of live rock in there which was covered in GHA and he devoured it once he could swim properly again.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 9:46 pm

Glad to hear that the fish of your mates are ok. Did you enlighten him of why they were as they were? Would hate for him to go through the same senario again.
I really hope that whatever fish store he got them from had no idea of what was going on as there isnt too many LFS around this way that sell marine........

Tang looks pretty happy considering. How are the clowns pulling through?
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 11:58 am

His clowns were dead on my arrival unfortunatly. i gave him a slapping ( i believe he ordered them online but not 100% sure as he said he got them from the airport). I told him to wait for 4-6 weeks now and throw a little bit of food in everyday till it has cycled and then it will be fine to add anything within reason 1 or 2 at a time. People and being impatient....

mimic is getting less scared of me when i come up to the hospital tank hiding then coming out to the top coz he knows i have food for him which is good. he has a couple of small white colouration on his side fins and 1 on his tail fin but doenst look like ich. Mite just be another parasite but i am planning to give him the 3 day switch method for 12 days to rid him of anything before i place him in my tank. need to go water collecting again :S
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby rnscross » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 6:38 pm

tanks looking good. i can tell by your posts that you've learnt a lot about marine tanks since you started the TJ.
rnscross
Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Tue 23 Nov, 2010 8:58 pm

its a never ending learning curve!

Was going to move the aquabee outside the tank i did and it leaked like a sieve form the silly short barbs they have on them cant get a decent clip on em. will have to think of something else mite enclose it in the overflow so any heat will pump up to the fuge where im thinking of mounting a fan for alot of evap cooling.
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)