• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Shutdown 25/04/14 Thommo's cube tank.

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Shutdown 25/04/14 Thommo's cube tank.

Postby Thommo01 » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 3:50 am

Introduction:
Well after playing around with FW tanks for a while and going in and out of fish shop all the time and seeing the beautiful selection of colours and shapes in the marine sections I always knew I wanted to give it a go eventually. So here is my eventually starting to happen :-D

Current FTS before shutdown(already took the light off)

System Objectives: To create a visually stunning display while learning the marine tank ropes. Hopefully get good at it one day (if all goes well) look at expanding.

System Type: Mixed Reef, with plenty of softies as the wife likes them the best ;)

Display System:

Strike up Date: Start of August 2010

Display Tank: Existing (previously a planted tank) 70 x 70 x 60cm cube made of optiwhite glass, with overflow.

Display Lighting: 150W MH with 14000k solarmax globe, 2 x 24W HO T5 Actinic globes. Lights will be lowered to 20mm above tank to avoid jumpers.

Stand: Existing stand. Steel frame.

Hood: Open design, Really just a shroud to hide the lighting

Sump: 60 x 40cm sump. Existing baffles need to be modified and new ones added to suit marine sump.

Refugium: In sump. Size will depend on space left after new baffles are put in.
Refugium Lighting: 90W LED panel that I had for my planted set-up(hopefully this isn’t too much overkill)

Support systems:

System Water: Artificial salt water ( will look into Natural once I get set-up)

Display Water circulation: Hydor Koralia's K Copy 5000L/H Power head

Return Pump:Eheim universal pump 38l/min

Skimmer: Bubble Magus BM-NAC180-CS Cone Protein Skimmer

Evaporation Top Up:Auto topup with RO/DI from 50L top up container.

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Calc support via Bubble magus auto doser

Alkilinity Addition: Alk support via Bubble magus auto doser

Other Chemical Maintenance: ??? If needed via doser

Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

From this
Back to a clean slate with lots of work to progress

My sump modification plans. Any thoughts or advice?
First time I used Sketchup, pretty cool :thumbsup:
Any advice on how to go about removing the old baffles. I tried tonight for a short time and 3 broken razor blades and no success later :konk: I am here asking

I'm Getting excited
Last edited by Thommo01 on Sun 27 Apr, 2014 2:16 am, edited 21 times in total.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Thommo's adventure into the world of Marine 70cm cube ta

Postby nUm » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 9:08 am

Looking good Thommo,

Judging by the look of your planted FW you should slip into the marine scene pretty easy. Just remember to take it slow and do a bit of research before you jump into any impulse buys, especially when it comes time to start stocking the tank. If you don’t already I would also recommend picking up a couple of books on marine aquariums and corals, they come in handy quite often.

As for the baffles, some people have had luck with using really fine guitar string; you might even be able to do it with some strong fishing line attached to some little bits of timber so you can pull on it without cutting your fingers.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Jason
Jason

Rimless LED Cuboid (800x800x500) -- Reborn

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
nUm
RTAW Veteran Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby fishguy23 » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 9:31 am

fishing braid works well 6 or 10 lb is good. but dont wrap it around your fingers as it will cut and a-lot worse than normal line.
fishguy23
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Mon 16 Aug, 2010 1:29 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. Will get out the fishing line and give it a go.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 12:40 am

I sump baffle down and 1 to go. The fishing line trick worked a treat. Off to work tommorow :( for 2 weeks so no more work on the tank for now.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Sat 04 Sep, 2010 1:10 am

FINALLY!! I'm back home and starting to get some things happening. All be it slowly. Hard to make noise with a little one when sleeping and trying to spend time with him as well. Fine balance as they say.

I managed to get my baffle out and all cleaned up and ready to install in the right position. Just need to get 1 more piece of glass for the sump to set the height for the skimmer which is optimum at 9-11.5 inches so I plan on having it at 250mm (10inches approx).

Below is a pick of the final design. Comments and advice on this one are welcome especially before I start siliconing :roflmao: Not sure if just 1 baffle as is before the pump is enough. Advice would be appreciated on this one as well. Would hate to have bubbles everywhere. It is 400mm deep by the way.

Some more goodies arrived, such as plummbing and glass hole saw. Fingers crossed I get to this while I am home. Started setting up my RO/ATO/storage area for the tank which is situated under the bar area. I fitted up the RO supply to the water piping and MAN!!! what a pain in the butt. You'd thing a fitter(me) could make a leak free seal :konk: Got there in the end though :thumbsup: Just with a bit of water all over the place. I must say after finally managing to get a look at the PSI RO/DI unit I am thoroughly impressed with the quality. Plus the service was great too.

I am also planning on removing the existing overflow (as I cant fit anything down there) and installing a larger black acrylic one to accomodate some more holes.

Currently the overflow has a 25mm and 20mm bulkhead. I will make both 25mm and drill another for back-up. Also planning on drilling one at the height of about 15% for water changes. Just open a valve to the drain and refill. All sounds good in theory.

When I get my act together I'll take some pics of the goings on. As we all love pics!
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 12:56 am

Getting there piece by piece.

Started painting as original colour was a grey of sorts and I want to go black to match the rest of the tanks in the house :-D

Got my glass for the extra baffle today and should get it siliconed in place tommorow. Any recommendations on which brand of silicone to use?

Pics of the current mess!! Which the wife is slowly getting short in patience with :konk:

First coat of the stuff that would fit in the garage. Still need another coat and to do the main of the stand.
P.S. Turps based paint is a PITA to clean-up

Bit more of the mess

After soldering up the wires for the additional T5's for the hood. Will get a pic up of completed hood when finished.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fishguy23 » Wed 08 Sep, 2010 9:44 am

is the halide also going to be 20mm off the water surface as well? could lead to heat issues
fishguy23
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Fri 10 Sep, 2010 2:07 am

Fishguy23: I should clarify that they hood will have a gap of 20mm from the rim of the tank. This would put the halide about 100mm from the surface. Not ideal either but I will deffinintly be using a chiller and currently not hoping to have to bulid another hood.

Do you think that the Halide is still too close?

Update pics. Finished painting the hood last night and installed all of the lights and fired up :thumbsup:

Halide warming up. Too bright when warm for a pic :)
Top of the hood.

Hoping to get the sump baffle fitted tommorow as the silicone needs 7 days to cure apparently.
Cant find any silicone in black readily available for when I install the new overflow. Any ideas of where I can find some?
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:39 am

Painted the last piece of wood door for the stand last night.

Preped up the sump as well for some silicone when the daylight comes.

I knew the old CD covers I kept would come in handy :nod:
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 5:29 am

thommo, milton at marine plus would sell you black silicon. its dow corning 999-A... thats where i got mine from :)
I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other

Dorz' 3x1.5x1.7 Modded Aquamarine 900!
Dorz' NEW 4x2.5x2' Automated Bucket!
powered by ORD; obsessive reefer disorder
dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby fishguy23 » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 8:59 am

ah thats about how far i have the rim of my reflector from the surface of the water. i couldnt see there being any issue
fishguy23
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 11:35 pm

dorz wrote:thommo, milton at marine plus would sell you black silicon. its dow corning 999-A... thats where i got mine from :)

Thanks Dorz. Will have to pop in there on Monday :) Just for some silicone of course. LOL

fishguy23 wrote:ah thats about how far i have the rim of my reflector from the surface of the water. i couldnt see there being any issue

Cool that is good to know. Thanks fishguy23. Hopefully I will not have any issues having it closer.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Mon 13 Sep, 2010 1:54 am

Did the silicone tonight for the sump baffles. Stinking the house out, so once again wife is the best :bow:

Also picked up a quaratine tank off gumtree yesterday for a bargain. 2fter with Light and heater etc for $125. Needs a bit of love but for a light and heater was good value.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Tue 14 Sep, 2010 1:37 am

Bit more progress today/tonight.

Fitted the hood mounts and the hood. Re-attached the doors, planned the fit-up of the 3rd door. Placed the sump underneath now that the silicone can handle a move. All up I am pretty happy with the results so far.

Unfortunantly for me I will be going to work for 3 weeks, the waiting go get stuck into it some more will eat me alive :konk:

The black perspex that I ordered for the modified wier got lost in the mail :wall: and I was hoping to take it to work to do some work on it as I was going to mill the comb and bend it etc etc. Will have to wait until the next time. Just means that I will not be able to get it wet next time I am home :(

Pretty pleased with the light spread too. Was a bit worried give that I lowered the hood and a few others obviously thought the same too. Happy to report that the lighting looks awsome :nod:

Tank set-up.
With just the blue T5's
T5's with the MH as well :clap:
The sump close up. Skimmer JUST!!! fit.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Depths of blue » Thu 16 Sep, 2010 11:32 pm

Looking good,like the cabinet :)
**LAURA**
Cirrhilabrus Addict
Want a colorful reefsafe fish? Check out fairy wrasses!
Depths of blue
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Sat 09 Oct, 2010 10:31 pm

Well I'm back

What an eventfull afternoon.

I was removing the overflow from the tank as I am drilling extra drainage and installing a larger overflow. Anyway luck for me the fishing wire was starting to hurt the pinkies so I went and put some leather gloves to stop the pain :).

The fishing line kept breaking on the last piece with about 4" to go so I thought that I could give it a little nudge to help release the silicone. Final result below. Lucky I was soft and put the gloves on otherwise I think it would have been much worse. :wall:

Good news is that the old overflow is out, have leak tested my baffles in the sump with flying colours, the auto top off works a treat. Still filling and sorting my little tank supply area where the RO and auto -top off is etc( need to take a pic) Hopefully in a day or 2 the holes will be drilled. Unfortunantly tommorow will be gardening day as the last 3 weeks the weeds wend gang busters.

After the wife fixed me up and had lots of fun pouring Detol all over the wounds(Masacist) :(
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby c.jarratt » Sat 09 Oct, 2010 11:04 pm

DAMN!

its not always bad to glove up after all!!

the tank is looking great mate but make sure you take it easy!

that injury will be annoying as hell!
c.jarratt
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Sat 09 Oct, 2010 11:10 pm

Yeh stings a little. But still managed to get the rest of the glass removed and silicone gone :) things we can do through the pain LOL
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 9:45 pm

Got lucky with Gumtree today. Picked up 30kgs of liverock for $70 today :) Have set-up the QT and now checking the cure of the rock. Fingers crossed not too much curing is needed. There were a lot of dead worms in the rock so I think that there will be a period of cycling for sure.

Wound is healing well. Still bleeding but only have 3 large bandaids instead of a bandage now.

Will remember to take some pick tommorrow of the LR and my top-up hidey hole.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 12:58 pm

nice work with the lighting! wish mine was that easy... :P
cut looks nasty, lucky the gloves were on! what are the plans for the overflow box?
I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other

Dorz' 3x1.5x1.7 Modded Aquamarine 900!
Dorz' NEW 4x2.5x2' Automated Bucket!