• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Dorz' 3' Reef - Modifying stuff! NEW PHOTOS 1/12!

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Dorz' 3' Reef - Modifying stuff! NEW PHOTOS 1/12!

Postby dorz » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 4:16 pm

Hey everyone,

i am picking another aquarium over the weekend, this will become my first marine reef setup, as ive already found it has quite a large learning curve compared to freshwater ;)

System Objectives: I want to have a tank which has a nice amount of coral and fish in it, good colour, and to be stable enough for me to go away for a week at a time without needing to maintain it..

Tank Setup:

System Type: Mixed Reef

Strike up Date: a while ago ;)

Display Tank: 3x1.5x1.7 with custom centre weir inc durso / bulkheads - now covered in black acrylic and combs, with the background painted black - thanks marine + :)

Display Lighting: : WAS: 120w BSLED LED panel with 63W:56B ratio, NOW: Inwatter Stingray 4' LED unit!

Stand: aquaone stand, modified to fit sump

Hood: no hood, aluminium connect-it to sit LED lights on top

Sump: 2.5ft sump with skimmer compartment/dsb compartment/fuge / combs before return

Refugium: DSB , LR & macro

Refugium Lighting: bunnings cheapie light

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: 1x 5000Lph Hydor K copy (JVP) modified to decrease flow, 1x tunze 6045

Return Pump: AquaBee 3000

Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC7

Evaporation Top Up:
Guppies twin float ATO unit, which failed, so now manual :p

RO/DI: PSI Filters PSI-020-DI-LW

will post up latest FTS after ive cleaned the glass ;)
Last edited by dorz on Thu 01 Dec, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 17 times in total.
I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other

Dorz' 3x1.5x1.7 Modded Aquamarine 900!
Dorz' NEW 4x2.5x2' Automated Bucket!
powered by ORD; obsessive reefer disorder
dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Dorz' Aquamarine 900 Reef

Postby dorz » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 7:20 pm

okay, so ive just got off the phone with Peter,

as soon as my MASOG membership goes through, i believe i will be getting one of these:
http://www.psifilters.com.au/buy-online ... di-lw.html

has anyone got one with the tap addition? water taste any good?

how long do these membranes last?

anyone know about the MAZE drums? they are HDPE, or class 2. im not sure whether its safe..
http://www.mazedistribution.com.au/Prod ... k_100.aspx
I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other

dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Wed 11 Aug, 2010 8:32 pm

sounds great, any pics of the tank in its current state??
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Thu 12 Aug, 2010 12:57 am

Hey Dorz,

Thought I had better check out the new thread. Guess I should do the same soon. Yeh get some pics up of the new tank when you get it.

How are you planning in getting the NSW home? Lots of buckets. I'm a ways off from the beach so still trying to way up my options. I'm also wondering that someone in Adelaide might do a delivery service or something.

You cant drink RO/DI water. Not good for you at all. :dead:
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Thu 12 Aug, 2010 1:09 am

to get the NSW from the beach, i plan to get 4 of those 25L water containers for camping and whatnot, and just go to the beach on a high (incoming) tide and hold them underwater till its full :P that or ill rig up a small pump setup or something. i dont have the biggest car boot space in the world (80s hatchback supra) so i cant just chuck tanks in there :P

if i only keep 100L of NSW at home, and do water changes every 2nd week, i should only have to go to the beach once a month or so... once its all set up and running, i might think about getting another tank for NSW. i might not need to do water changes that regularly, we'll see.

im going to get a 2nd tank just for RO/DI water too, to siphon into a smaller container for topups.

as for photos, these are the only 2 that i have. its a fair bit dirtier currently, will pick it up on friday / sat and get cleaning.

cheers!

(note, i wouldnt mind getting smoked glass put in for the weir, and painting / laminating the back black, to offset the substrate and make the colours 'pop' more..

dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Thu 12 Aug, 2010 1:51 am

also, i know it doesnt belong here (lol) but im setting up another freshwater tank at roughly the same time.. picked it up for a 6pack, modified the stand somewhat, fresh lick of paint, new hinges and handles and voila:

though that will only have a few plants, some angels, current tetras, algae eaters and mollys... for now ;)

dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Thu 12 Aug, 2010 2:48 am

FN WHAT!!!!! a six pack!!!!! Great score. Amazing what a bit of elbow grease can do to an old tank.

I like the new tank too.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Thu 12 Aug, 2010 12:59 pm

yeah i know.. it was full of algae, doors had fallen off, and stand was all tacky, etc... its come up nice.

new tank ended up costing me $400, with everything ive posted above :D pretty happy.. though i might change the lighting down the track.

dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 2:02 pm

Just finished making a couple of orders!

one from guppys with t5 tubes/caps/ballasts for the freshwater, and 2 5000Lph powerheads and a refractometer for the marine :)

and another from Peter at PSI Filters... well you can guess what that is!

its the PSI-020-di-lw with the dual digital TDS meter, a tap attachment, and the switching valve to run pure RO water instead of RO/DI, for drinking :D (should be better than the puratap my partner carries on about ;) )

dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 12:46 am

picked up my tank today :) needs a good cleanout, then will be going to a shop to get the weir / overflow box replaced with a black one... just for looks, of course.

i have some water based gloss black paint at home from painting the other cabinet, would this be suitable for painting the glass with? or would it come up too glossy?

i also cant believe how freaking huge the sump is, those photos do not do it justice. its 2.5ft wide, and you cannot take the sump out without emptying it, taking the doors off the cabinet, taking the tank off, front crossmember out, and even then you have to lift it above the lower hinges of the doors for it to come out... redonkulous!

dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 2:36 am

should have a pile of goodies coming tomorrow :D cant wait.

moving stuff around in my bedroom too to fit the darn thing, its going to be a tight squeeze. pity i couldnt have the freshwater and marine side by side, but oh well. on opposite sides of the room is nice too :)

dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby imy » Tue 17 Aug, 2010 7:36 am

Looks great.
Not sure the water based paint will stick with salt creep and humidity.

Which goodies are you expecting to arrive? Gotta love postie Christmas.
imy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 2:41 pm

pile of goodies arrived! :D

they include:
2x 5000Lph powerheads
refractometer
thermometer
lighting ballasts, endcaps and tubes for freshwater (now all set up!)

and my biggest purchase so far (besides the tank setup), a PSI-020-DI-LW from Peter with a tap to change from ro only to rodi, and a dual tds meter.

ive had an issue with the filter already! murphys law and me not checking fittings means a hose sprayed everywhere when it was first run. after running it for about an hour the output was still around 100tds (RO only). i gave Peter a call, did some tests and he sent me out a new reverse osmosis cartridge, express post, which i received the next day! swapped them over and TDS from RO only is down to about 12 :) very happy with the service from PSI Filters / BOSS :) Thankyou Peter!

dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Thu 19 Aug, 2010 9:47 pm

new stand in its final location :) tank is now gone :( though its only at marine plus, getting a new black overflow and background painted to match :)

dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 12:32 am

okay, so testing my return pump (4000Lph pond pump) it is faaaar too loud. anyone recommend me something <$100 that is silent, and a good return flow rate for this tank?

cheers!

dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 3:14 pm

Ive been looking at the sicce 4000 pump and from all the reviews i have read they seam like a good pump. only place i have found in oz that stocks them is 'the reef shop' they are the oem for the tunze master series pumps.
MASAOG COMMITTEE MEMBER 2012
Eclip's Sumpless CLOSED DOWN
---------------------------------
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby Namn8r » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 5:56 pm

By the looks you have purchased Hellaflushes hold tank...
Namn8r
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Registered Business

Postby dorz » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 8:43 pm

haha, yeah it was his old one... he didnt have another did he?

bought my return today, now to pipe it in... pics soon.