• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

S1L3NT's First Marine Tank - 4' x 18" x 18"-Updated 28-12-11

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

S1L3NT's First Marine Tank - 4' x 18" x 18"-Updated 28-12-11

Postby S1L3NT » Sun 18 Jul, 2010 2:14 am

Welcome to my journal, please check back from time to time and help me out and watch me grow :) Here goes.

Introduction:
I recently moved and sold my fresh water set up and decided I would not redo a fresh water set up, but rather start a reef tank for myself. After a few very good years of fresh water keeping, from planted tanks, to big fish, to small fish, to breeding fish and the like :) The tank is upstairs on my left while I watch the television infront of me, though i spend most of the time with my eyes on the tank ofcourse hehehehe.

System Objectives:
I would like the system to end up a very pretty attraction of the room, to keep everyones eyes on the tank (not just mine :D ). Would also like to try my hand at breeding marine fish eventualy :)

System Type:
The tank will hopefully be a mixed reef tank. Lots of pretty corals, some very pretty fish :)

Display System:
Strike up Date:
System was set up on the 12th of July. However 95% of the parts were received on the 17th of july and was all put together that night.

Display Tank:
This tank is a 4 foot long by 18 inch high by 18 inch wide. 4' x 18" x 18" (L x W x H)

Display Lighting:
6 x 54 Watt High Output T5 Unit.
Bulbs are as follows:
2 x Actinic Bulbs
2 x 10,000k bulbs
2 x 14,000k bulbs

Stand:
Currently a raw pine cabinet, will be painted/stained to match my table and tv stand once I figure out the colour :P

Hood:
Same as the cabinet.

Sump:
Sump is set up with a refugium. Total size is 2' x 16" x 16"

Refugium:
Currently has a DSB. Looking for macro algae. I intend on turning this into a coral frag tank eventually (once i have corals to frag ofcourse).

Refugium Lighting:
Currently no lighting (apart from the light it gets from the tank lights hehe). Will be set up soon as i find something I like.

Support systems:
System Water:
Natural Sea Water (NSW) bought from a LFS.

Display Water circulation:
2 x 3000L/h wave makers. May get one more to increase flow later on but for now is plenty of flow at approximately 23 times turn over rate without return pump. Approximately (bit higher) 30 times turn over rate with return pump included.

Return Pump:Sump return pump.
Eheim Compact 3000 pump. A 3000L/h pump. Max head height of 3 or 4m (cant remember, needa read the box again..)

Skimmer:
Waiting on this to come in on, should be here Monday the 19th of July.
Skimmer is a Reef Octopus Classic NW-110. Rated at a 500L aquarium. Approximately double my tank :)

Evaporation Top Up:
Manual, need to find a supplier of RO/DI water until I can afford my own. On a uni student budget :(

Chemical Support:
Calcium Addition:
None Yet
Alkilinity Addition:
None Yet
Other Chemical Maintenance:
None Yet

Current Water Chemistry: Test kit is arriving on Monday the 19th of July hopefully.
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity: - 1.025 - 1.026 (Going to recalibrate refractometer soon as i can find some distilled water).
Magnesuim:

First Day of Set Up:

Tank Shot With ALL Lights ON:

Tank Shot With ONLY 10,000k Lights ON: (I think)

Tank Shot With ONLY 14,000k Lights ON: (I think)

Tank Shot With ONLY Actinic Lights ON:

Tank Shot With ONLY Blue Moon Light LED ON:

Cabinet Shot - Sump Included:

Shot of Unopened Refractometer:

Thanks for looking, and keep coming back every so often and watch my tank develop and answer my questions. Im sure I will have ALOT of questions as time goes by :)

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Last edited by S1L3NT on Wed 28 Dec, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Seahorse Sanctuary - 2x18x18 - Aqua One Mini Reef 120 - In planning stages (Tank purchased!)
My First Reef Tank - 4'x18"x18" - 255L - No longer running :(
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Re: S1L3NT's First Marine Tank - 4' x 18" x 18"

Postby S1L3NT » Mon 19 Jul, 2010 12:51 am

Recalibrtated my refractometer ,and retested. Salinity is now 1.028 :\

Anyone know a place to buy RO water so i can fill it up to reduce teh salinity? I think a fair bit must have evaporated that i did not notice?

Going to test my salt water source tomorrow though.
Seahorse Sanctuary - 2x18x18 - Aqua One Mini Reef 120 - In planning stages (Tank purchased!)
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby S1L3NT » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 11:59 pm

Ok incase anyone is following the thread.. :poke:

Have reduced the salinity, water tests have been good. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5-10 Nitrate, PH is 8.2.

Decided to add two peppermint shrimp and coral which was sold to me as a green tree coral. Kinda looks like a kenya tree but is still only small. About an inch or two in height with a smaller one inch one also on the rock piece :) So far doing ok, it was drooping a little last night and this morning but has stood up half hour after hte lights came on. It randomly contracts though, which i find strange but am assuming its just sulkin due to the change.

Also found a crab! Which i pulled out and put into my sump as i did not want to kill him. Hopefully he doesnt find his way back to the tank (if crabs can climb glass?). Will feed it mysis shrimp when i feed the tank :)

Here are some pictures for those who are interested.

Crab Hitch Hicker, now the sumps only inhabitant :

Green Tree Coral Shot (They were actualy really bright green, but are just a reasonable green in my tank which is due to stress i think):

Green Tree Coral Branches Macro Shot:

Peppermint Shrimp Shot:

Please let me know if you are following the thread so I continue to update as i go. Feel like im posting to myself :madface:
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby chriso316 » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 1:36 am

that crab looks sus as! might be an idea to buy an RO/DI unit mate even if it's a cheapy until you can get a good one... might save the temptation of putting tap water in it :thumbsup:
chriso316
Veteran Reefer

Postby S1L3NT » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 3:25 am

Haha definetly, shoulda seen him leaning back with his pincers in the air when he was in his container and my fingers went near him hahaha. So i started using en eye dropper instead :P Took over an hour to get him of a small bit of rock hahahah. So he resides in my sump as i dont want to kill him.

Yes i need to buy a RO/DI filter. Can you recommend any? Any that can attach to a faucet instaed of going attaching to piping under sink? That would be handy..
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Colonel » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 8:52 am

PSI Filters.. :thumbsup:
Colonel
Centurion Reefer

Postby aquaman78 » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 9:01 am

Your tank is coming along nicely! :thumbsup:
I think that your green tree is a Sinularia from what I can make out in your pics. It looks like it'll be a nice colour when it fully extends!
PSI filters have great RO/DI units that can be connected to a washing machine tap!
aquaman78
Centurion Reefer

Postby S1L3NT » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 12:08 pm

Ok. Ill try to find those on PSI filters.

Thanks for the coral ID! Going to serach it now.

I think the coral may be having some trouble though :( It seems to drop all night instead of holding itself close (which it does at times during the day randomly for 10-15 minutes at a time). Is this normal?

Skimmer arrived today. Reef octopus NW-110. Pictures soon to come. Need to head to shop to buy more NSW now. And more RO water for top ups.

EDIT:
Ok. Is this an RO unit that would suffice for me?
http://www.psifilters.com.au/buy-online ... ystem.html

Also thanks for the coral ID. It appears that IS my coral not a kenya tree coral.
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby aquaman78 » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 5:26 pm

It looked familiar to me cause I have 1! They can take some time to adapt and aren't real fond of being moved. They are also known to 'shed' their skin, and before mine did it stayed closed for several days. Mine seems to inflate and deflate throughout the day, it almost seems to 'flinch' when the lights come on and go off and deflate and retract if touched.

The RO unit you linked is ok but at the bottom RHS of the page is the unit I got. It has the DI unit on top! Gives me a 0 TDS reading every time. It is a little bit more, but I think it is well worth it.
aquaman78
Centurion Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Thu 22 Jul, 2010 6:05 pm

interesting tank, looks like everything is happy :) id ask for an id of that crab in the Inverts forum as it might be a goodie..

also one of the benefits of Pete @ PSI is if you join your local MASx you'll recieve a discount :)
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby S1L3NT » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 12:27 am

RO unit is on the list for sure :)

Mum came home today with a whiskers coral and two clowns. Did not as but it is my brthday soon so she decided to buy for me hehehe. Happy with them. Feeding them as we speak. Pics of them and the new coral soon to come. Well more updates actually.

Im having a little trouble with the skimmer though. How high up are the bubbles inside the little chamber, that leads to the collection cup, ment to be? It seems to keep overflowing so ive put it about half way up the collection cup inside the little chamber.. Hoping thats whats ment to happen. Going to be googling this to see if i can figure it out.

Stay tuned!

EDIT: Oh and there is a thread in the invert forum :) Just no one has replied as of yet. On another forum some people have ID'd it as a Red Eyed Nasty Crab. Though i cant find much on them so his living in my sump :)
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby S1L3NT » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 2:36 am

Ok well the skimmer has been turned down to the minimum. There is about a cm height worht of water in the collection cup currently, which is rather brown. Maybe its because i just overfed them mysis shrimp? :konk: wanted to make sure the clownfish ate, fed my shrimp, and my new coral too :) Half a cube instead next time i think :P Am i able to remove the collection cup from the skimmer while the skimmer is still running? I would like to get rid of this dirty brown water before bed incase it overflows again.

Ok here are some more updates :)

Whisker Coral Shot (Mum bought this for me, thanks mum!):

Whisker Coral Close Up:

Single Whisker Close Up Shot (Wanted to see if thats its mouth in teh middle there hehe):

Skimmer Shot After Unpacking:

Sump Shot With Everything Connected and running:

Return Pump Section With Marked Out Line To know how much needs to be topped off each day :)

Had to change the design of the overflow area - It was making the loudest gurgling sound due to air bubbles. This is the new design which still has some bubbles, but is ALOT quieter.

The Occy clowns mum bought me (Thanks again mum!) - Notice the size difference to get a pair out of them :)

Shot of the Green Coral (Name has skipped me but go bac ka few posts) which ive moved back to pretty much direct flow and it has since gone alot brighter and its polyps are all out. Will se how it is in the morning (droopy or not):

Clowns are getting along great, they swim together, play together, love eachother etc etc. Just a little scared of me but are getting used to my face against the glass :D

The whisker coral looks beautiful in the flow :) Hoping this grows and expands into more and more polyps? Is that what they are called? :S

Am thinking about adding an anemone to the tank for the clowns, what are everyones opinions on this?
Also, would it be ok to add a royal gramma to the tank in about a week? Its my birthday and the missus wants to buy me a fish :) And we both like that fish so hence that choice :D

And ofcourse, opinions on the tank, new coral, fish, etc would be great :D :clownfish: :clownfish:
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 3:05 am

Royal Gramma will be fine.

Not so sure about the anemone. Tank still quite young.
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby S1L3NT » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 3:18 am

Yeah just did a bit of research after asking and nem is for later :) They will have to host something else till then hahaha.

My Sinularia seems to like its new spot ALOT more. Its actualy closed up this time. And not droopy. Will see how it goes in the morning
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby aquaman78 » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 10:15 am

The reason you're having trouble adjusting the skimmer may be that the water level in the skimmer section of your sump is a little high. If you raise your skimmer a few inches you will probably find it easier to adjust and less likely to overflow!
The Whisker coral is a Duncanopsammia or Duncan for short. They love a good feed and will grow quite well if conditions suit.
aquaman78
Centurion Reefer

Postby S1L3NT » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks mate. Ive got it on minimum now and seems ill have to clean it out in the morning and at night..

According to my little sheet that came with the skimmer that water height is below optimum level... I will try to lift it some how and see wether that helps it out. What would be the best way to lift it up?

The duncans whiskers coral looks great, fed it frozen last night. Was quite cool to watch it eat :D

Is it ok to feed fish and coral mysis every day? Need to go to the shop to buy food but i dont have a licence so its a bit tough to organise.
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby S1L3NT » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 6:15 pm

Ok well continuing on with my previous post.

Is it ok to feed my clowns frzoen mysis for a while? Once a night? I cannot get marine food from the shops near me so ill have to order online, and it probably wont arrive till mid or late next week. Anyone know if this would be ok? I also have frozen baby brine shrimp, and bloodworms. Would these be ok for a while?

My substrate finally arrived today, along with my test kits! NEVER going to be buying from the same shop again, service was terrible, communication terrible, shipping time was terrible, and im pretty sure he decided to bull [censored] to me saying that my skimmer was damaged in transit before it even arrived to me and needed to be sent back. Pretty close to naming and shaming here, any one interested in the name?

Just filled the substrate up, its about 2 inches of depth across the tank. I however left the back end of the tank (behind rocks) without gravel incase my shrimp were there as i didnt want to kill them. Hoping that the worms i probably burried inside the rocks wil come out into the sand or go out another area. Also moved my power head on the right a little higher, and the one of hte left alittle lower. Pictures soon to come.

Good news guys, my green sinularia seems to have grown a little. Well the smaller piece has grown im pretty sure, so pics to come aswell :D Its also greening up a little bit more in its original spot :D Thank god :)

Clowns have been named by my girlfriend as Coral (Female) And Marlin (Male). She likes finding nemo lol.

Have also eliminated all the bubbles in the sump, however had to use filter wool stuffed in a net till i can find a filter sock to use instead. No more bubbles anywhere :)

Stay tuned! Off to test my water with my kits.
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 7:15 pm

S1L3NT wrote:Yeah just did a bit of research after asking and nem is for later :) They will have to host something else till then hahaha.

My Sinularia seems to like its new spot ALOT more. Its actualy closed up this time. And not droopy. Will see how it goes in the morning

The clowns do not need anything and it is the anemone or coral that hosts the fish, not the other way around. :-D

S1L3NT wrote:Ok well continuing on with my previous post.

Is it ok to feed my clowns frzoen mysis for a while? Once a night? I cannot get marine food from the shops near me so ill have to order online, and it probably wont arrive till mid or late next week. Anyone know if this would be ok? I also have frozen baby brine shrimp, and bloodworms. Would these be ok for a while?

What do you mean by marine food? Mysid/Brine shrimp will be okay.

My substrate finally arrived today, along with my test kits! NEVER going to be buying from the same shop again, service was terrible, communication terrible, shipping time was terrible, and im pretty sure he decided to bull [censored] to me saying that my skimmer was damaged in transit before it even arrived to me and needed to be sent back. Pretty close to naming and shaming here, any one interested in the name?

Nope :)

Clowns have been named by my girlfriend as Coral (Female) And Marlin (Male). She likes finding nemo lol.

Oh my!
StripestheEel

Postby S1L3NT » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 9:59 pm

By marine food i mean marine pellets/flakes.. At the moment i only have frozen brine, bloodworms, and mysis shrimp. Will this be okay for a week or so then i can introduce pellets or flakes?
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 10:21 pm

Yeah
StripestheEel

Postby S1L3NT » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 11:43 pm

Ok good. Thats encouraging. My clowns are not eating much though :( Only a few bits and pieces of shrimp then they just seem to not care for it no longer.. Giong to try some brine shrimp tomorrow, or blood worms. The missus had a thought, could i feed fresh water pellet food to marine fish? Is that even possible? lol.

Ok my test kits came today so here are my test results:

Salinity - 1.026
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5 to 10 (There is NO colour difference in the API test kit i swear haha)
PH - 8.0 (the crushed coral should help this out now i think)
Calcium - 400
KH - 11dkh
Phosphate - Really hard to tell. But i think it is 0.5, maybe a little less.

Also found what i think is either a clam or a moscel (spelling?) attached to 'branches' on the bit of rock my duncans are attached too. Pics soon to come.

Updates pics also soon to come (uploading as we speak).
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Fri 23 Jul, 2010 11:52 pm

No to the freshwater fish food.

Ensure that the frozen cubes are defrosted in RO water or similar before putting in tank. You wouldnt like to be given a frozen pizza.
StripestheEel

Postby S1L3NT » Sat 24 Jul, 2010 12:20 am

Woops ive been defrosting in tank water in a small shot glass :\ Ill try in some RO water tomorrow.

Ok well here are the pics as promised :)

Test Equipment:

The hole in the substrate that my return pipe causes because im using a rubber pvc pressure hose which points directly down at the floor:

The Clowns :)

The Clowns Again:

Updated Shot of the Green Sinularia - Note how the smaller left one has grown (or is it just me?):

Shot of the smaller Sinularia:

Shot of the muscel (spelling?) - Anyone able to ID it? It is the orange bit..

And ofcourse an updated full tank shot taken today:

Comments? IDs? :D
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Sat 24 Jul, 2010 1:24 am

The water looks cloudy

Or is it air bubbles?
StripestheEel

Postby S1L3NT » Sat 24 Jul, 2010 1:55 am

Its air bubbles :\ Which i think i have fixed for now. That was taken prior to fixing it lol.
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby S1L3NT » Sat 24 Jul, 2010 8:42 pm

Actually, it wasnt bubbles causing cloudiness, that pic was half hour after the sand went in so im guessing it was from that. Its not coudy at the moment. After 24 hours :)

My green sinularia has definetly grown, even teh big one is bigger now. Its not the brightest of greens but it is still green-ish.

My clowns are not eating :( Im starting to worry. Girlfriend went to the store and bought me marine flake and sinking pellets (2mm pellets) and they are not keen on it. They pick it up and the nspit it out, the first time the female took it into her mouth swam around for a few seconds then spat it out again without actualy chewing it... Came out the same sized pellet :( They ate a few bits of mysis last time i fed, wish they would eat because im worrying. They are very active though swim around quite a bit but seem to stay on the right side of the tank, 1ft by 1ft territory it seems lol. Barely leaving this area of the tank.

Today my coral had a brown string coming out of its 'mouth', quick google search said its just its poop after eating a fair bit of shrimp the last 2 nights lol. Is this correct?

Anything i can do to coax my clowns to eat?
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby sydneydrewid » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:07 am

clowns are usually pigs of eaters, im sure they'll take whatever you give them :)
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:22 am

Try some live brine shrimp if they are not taking to the frozen foods, this may get them started.

They also may be spitting it out because it has not been defrosted properly (if you are feeding the cubes).
StripestheEel

Postby S1L3NT » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 12:06 am

Ok good news and some updates. My shrimps are still alive! Saw them last night with my flash light (keep forgeting to buy red celephane lol).

Managed to get my clowns to eat a little bit, looks like they like bloodworms. They chew uped the first batch i squirted into the tank for them. Then they backed off a little ad only ate a few bits and pieces afterwoods. I still need to go to the LFS to buy some brine shrimp so i can start a culture (attempt) and feed them some of them.

The green sinularia is definetly either grown or has extended properly which im VERY glad to see. It looked like it was going to die. It now retracts perfectly at night, no drooping what so ever. Thank god for that!

Is it normal for clowns not to swim around the entire tank and reject most foods? I know their recently introduced , but from what i hear they are quick at settling in and quite verosios (spelling?) eaters. Mine stay to the right hand side of the tank, barely ever traveling the other 3 foot area of my 4 foot tank... Even at night.. They havnt got an anemone, i know that usualy makes them stay near by it once hosted.
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby S1L3NT » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 1:15 am

I will try and figure out which hermits the are, but they are pretty smll. Ill figure it out once i get some pics or ID lol. So PM will go donya once ive got a nice macro shot or two :D They should arrive tomorrow or the day after.

Good update today :) My clowns ate about half a cube worth of mysis shrimp today :P Squirted about 10-20 little shrimp in it a time and watched them get cleaned up almost completely within a few seconds then i let them eat the remaining few and did this process about 4 or 5 times. And all was cleaned up! Good night tonight :D Strange this is, i think they may be hosting one of hte rocks... Or are using it as shelter lol. They seem to pull food down towards that one rock which has a cave part to it lol. They dont swim very far from it, and hide there if they get scared. Hope not lol.

Tomorrow is my birthday (well its 12.15am here so today :P) and therefore a new fish and/or coral will be going in the tank as presents from girlfriend, little brother, mum/dad. I will make sure to pick them all however :P Hehe. So stay tuned for more pics!

Have also completely stopped the bubble issue in the tank, was really giving me the [censored]. Made the decision to put some filter wool around my return pump which will be cleaned every couple of days to prevent nitrate build up (just incase things get stuck to it), along with the filter wool eliminating bubbles from my overflow pipe. Extra maintanance but i dont mind, i like to be working in and around my tank :D
S1L3NT
Bicentenary Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)