Page 1 of 8

Rob the Pom 3 x 2 x 2

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 3:24 pm
by robthepom
Introduction:
I've been keeping freshwater tropicals for 20years this is my first saltie & I'm already addicted...

System Objectives: healthy water = healthy inhabitants
System Type: Mixed Reef
Display System:
Strike up Date: water in Jan 10
Display Tank: 3x2x2
Display Lighting: Aquamedic MH
Stand: Wood
Hood: Wood
Sump: 2x1x1...I need a bigger sump..AHHHHH

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water
Display Water circulation: Tunze 6000
Return Pump:Ocean Runner 2400
Skimmer: Octopus DNW-110
Evaporation Top Up:Manual

Images:

[img][img]http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx299/robthepom/Aquarium/P1090295.jpg[/img][/img]


Image

Image

Image

Image

I will update some more pictures now I know how it works

The tank is still cycling

Many thanks to Darren at Reef Secrets for all his help


I would love to here your ideas on my new system (obsession)....feel free to give advice

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 3:26 pm
by xcracer
nice tank.. what K rating s your light.. looks a nice blue..

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 3:28 pm
by robthepom
xcracer wrote:nice tank.. what K rating s your light.. looks a nice blue..


I have no idea...I will check when I get home tonight...work is getting in the way of my reef-keeping

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 3:48 pm
by Luka13
Nice start there :thumbsup: . Good idea to keep the rockwork off the back glass - it will make it easier to eliminated flow dead spots. Get some good circulation pumps - from my experience more flow is better.

Good luck with it ;)

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 5:13 pm
by sydneydrewid
lookng great!! good to see the kids ABC mats came in handy under the sump :poke: :roflamo: devil:

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 9:10 am
by robthepom
Update!

Now week 4 of cycle...I did a 60litre water change ....& I have a few questions....

Salinity - 1.026
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
Phosphate - 0.25..I think, the API test colour chart is difficult to read
Calcium - 400ppm

All of the above are looking good & I added....

1xTrochus
1xStrombs

Do I need more for clean up crew?

I have red slime algae in my sump only (none in the tank yet!) (see pic)...the sump is lit 24hrs a day..should I siphon it out & switch the light off for a day or 2??

The tank is a G&J Maher...& has a glass cross bar where the MH lamp is...can I add 2 glass bars either side of the middle bar & then cut the middle bar out? has anyone tried this?...or should I just wait untill I can afford a double MH fixture...

I'm not sure what type of background I want yet ....I think I will go natural algae

I'm still waiting for my skimmer...its on the way..I also have a couple more choice bits of live rock curing at Darrens (Reef Secrets), which I will add later this week

Full Tank
Image

Glass Bar Under MH
Image

Red Slime in Sump
Image

Snails
Image
Image

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 3:33 pm
by minky
it looks so nice and clear and bright :)

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 3:55 pm
by robthepom
minky wrote:it looks so nice and clear and bright :)


Thanks Minky...it helps having a brand new tank & lights......also I gave the glass a good clean for the photos

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 4:11 pm
by reefsecretsaquariums
yeah i think the aquamedic come with decent 14k bulbs and decent actinics... looking great mate ....

mate your welcome any time i love helping people who are keen and do research and especially if they wanna do it right straight up... you dont feel like :wall: :wall: :wall:

im sure the next marine tank is only a few months away... :roflmao:
8footer wall.... :roflmao:

i recon you could do that with your cross bar the only thing is cutting that one out will be a mission.... :nut:

what rocks... :poke: :roflmao:

now all you need is a vortech or 2 ... :devil:

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 4:19 pm
by reefsecretsaquariums
i think fighter is going to love your tank...

Image

:thumbsup: hes going to a lovely home....

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 6:49 pm
by robthepom
reefsecretsaquariums wrote:i think fighter is going to love your tank...

Image

:thumbsup: hes going to a lovely home....


Thanks for all the sound advice...kerry is very excited about fighter.... although she will probably want to change his name to cuddly or something a bit softer...but not me.

Kerry's work statement is "make the most of your abilities, not your disability"

So he's a Tang first .........disability second

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 6:55 pm
by robthepom
reefsecretsaquariums wrote:yeah i think the aquamedic come with decent 14k bulbs and decent actinics... looking great mate ....

mate your welcome any time i love helping people who are keen and do research and especially if they wanna do it right straight up... you dont feel like :wall: :wall: :wall:

im sure the next marine tank is only a few months away... :roflmao:
8footer wall.... :roflmao:

i recon you could do that with your cross bar the only thing is cutting that one out will be a mission.... :nut:

what rocks... :poke: :roflmao:

now all you need is a vortech or 2 ... :devil:



yes....you can tell you are an aquarium shop owner....push ..push...buy this ...you need that.....but a vortech or 2 is my next purchase

you had better not sell my 'hand picked rock' or i'll :wall: :wall: your head

see ya friday afternoon

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb, 2010 12:04 am
by reefsecretsaquariums
Hey just suggesting not pushing .... :roflmao:

hey got an idea let's get a piece of glass and I'll get some non toxic underwater silicone we can raise your refuge section so it has more room for macro and flow over the plants ... Just an idea ...

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb, 2010 5:50 pm
by anthony mazzeri
So you're taking Fighter? I thought he wasn't for sale?

reefsecretsaquariums wrote:hey got an idea let's get a piece of glass and I'll get some non toxic underwater silicone we can raise your refuge section so it has more room for macro and flow over the plants ... Just an idea ...


You can raise the water level up anyway? Just let that partition between the rocks and macro become submerged. On an Ecosystem sump, the water level is supposed to be higher than that gap on the right there so the flow is designed to go through the macro rather than over it.

Except the return should be on the other end, on the left. Or am I reading the flow direction wrong?

PostPosted: Sat 06 Feb, 2010 1:33 am
by reefsecretsaquariums
anthony mazzeri wrote:So you're taking Fighter? I thought he wasn't for sale?

reefsecretsaquariums wrote:hey got an idea let's get a piece of glass and I'll get some non toxic underwater silicone we can raise your refuge section so it has more room for macro and flow over the plants ... Just an idea ...


You can raise the water level up anyway? Just let that partition between the rocks and macro become submerged. On an Ecosystem sump, the water level is supposed to be higher than that gap on the right there so the flow is designed to go through the macro rather than over it.

Except the return should be on the other end, on the left. Or am I reading the flow direction wrong?


he wasnt for sale cause Robs wife claimed it the min she saw it.... :roflmao: :roflmao:

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb, 2010 3:17 pm
by robthepom
Yippieeee.....my first coral....his name is Duncan.....it was fully opened within 10mins of putting in the tank

Image

Also got my last bit of live rock...stored & perfectly cured by Darran at Reef Secrets....top left in the below photo

Image

I also got a free crab with it ...its about 5cm across...took me ages to get the little bugger out of its hole.......he didn't make it into the tank!!!

He looked a right evil fish & coral eating crab...can anyone ID???

Image

One of the heads on the Duncan is touching the live rock....will this cause any damage??

I will test my water tonight & update later

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb, 2010 3:37 pm
by reefsecretsaquariums
na should be ok if anything the pollip will have trouble opening ... get the clippers out and chop it off and stick it somewere else .... come on dont be scared... :roflmao:

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb, 2010 8:26 pm
by robthepom
reefsecretsaquariums wrote:na should be ok if anything the pollip will have trouble opening ... get the clippers out and chop it off and stick it somewere else .... come on dont be scared... :roflmao:



No way.... :nono: I'm not cutting Duncan ...he's my new friend

PostPosted: Wed 10 Feb, 2010 8:38 pm
by Lukey
They're tough buggers, cut it, glue it to another bit of rock and you're away!

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb, 2010 1:33 pm
by reefsecretsaquariums
undates.... :poke:

come on pom get the pics happening..... :roflmao:

Re:

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb, 2010 9:40 am
by robthepom
reefsecretsaquariums wrote:undates.... :poke:

come on pom get the pics happening..... :roflmao:


just loading more pics......new torch & anchor..tiger blenny...sexy shrimp......its all happening

Re: Rob the Pom 3 x 2 x 2

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb, 2010 11:31 am
by robthepom
Lots of things happened over the weekend ...new equipment & new critters...thanks to Darren & Ryan at Reef Secrets for spending a couple of hours with me & the wife

My wife nearlly bought the shop...i had to literally hold her back.....He He

My skimmer arrived...Octapus Hurricane DNW-110....note the Freddie Flintoff book spacing it up...I knew I'd find a use for a crap book!!!
I will also have to spend a couple of hours sorting out the cables!!!
Skimmer is not producing much yet..I'm still playing with the setting & not much bi-load in the tank
Image

I also got a Tunze 6000 ....wow if you want flow ..buy one of these babies...I am currently making a bar extension out of acrylic so I can mount it behind the rocks

Image
Tunze is in top right of photo

Also in pic is new torch (I did see Flipper wanted to buy it....sorry but my wife claimed it)....what amazing colours & movement...i have had to move Duncan since taking this photo..he got stung by the nasty torch!

We got a anchor which again is a cracker
Image

I can't get a decent photo of my Tiger Blenny or the 2 sexy shrimps, will try later when they have settled in a bit more



..............

Re: Rob the Pom 3 x 2 x 2

PostPosted: Tue 16 Feb, 2010 12:12 pm
by camo1
Really starting to come together now mate keep up the good work :thumbsup: you will love the tiger blenny a real they are real characters.

Re: Rob the Pom 3 x 2 x 2

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2010 3:35 pm
by reefsecretsaquariums
yes mate its looking good... :cheers:

Re: Rob the Pom 3 x 2 x 2

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:51 pm
by robthepom
reefsecretsaquariums wrote:yes mate its looking good... :cheers:



Wait till you see the photos of the sticky coral you sold me.......when fully opened its like a dart board....beautiful!!!! ....photos next week

what was the scientific name for it?????

Thanks for your help the other night with the power cut....it lasted about an hour.....I have now got a UPS



.......

Re: Rob the Pom 3 x 2 x 2

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb, 2010 1:34 am
by reefsecretsaquariums
next week...... what the.... :poke: seriously :poke: whats with the suspension ..... pics pics pics ... :pirate:

ill only tell you the name when you post a pic... :roflmao:

Re: Rob the Pom 3 x 2 x 2

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:16 am
by robthepom
Image

Yes RIP to zebedy.....he had 2 holidays over the skimmer & into the sump...I have not seen him now for about 2 weeks :bawling:

After serching all the usual places, i'm calling him M.I.A. presumed dead :angel: :angel:

Also probably my best photo yet

Re: Rob the Pom 3 x 2 x 2

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:48 am
by sydneydrewid
wow!! that last pic is great!!!

Re: Rob the Pom 3 x 2 x 2

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb, 2010 5:06 pm
by robthepom
sydneydrewid wrote:wow!! that last pic is great!!!


I'm actually quite impressed with my cheapy camera.....also as you know photos do not do justice to the actual coarls

Re: Rob the Pom 3 x 2 x 2

PostPosted: Wed 24 Feb, 2010 8:52 pm
by robthepom
Fighter is in the tank!!!!! he is eating like a pig, although he hasn't touched the nori I put in

Image

Also got 2 nice elegance corals

Image

starting to get a nice coral garden happening

Also note the latest MASAQ member