• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Kippers Reef

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Re: Kippers Reef Updated shots 19/12/10

Postby kipper31 » Fri 07 Jan, 2011 8:23 pm

Jono912 the substrate is just fine coral sand from most LFS . Its seems pretty good but my damsel constantly digs in it. Im glad at the start i buried base under the coral bommie or i would have major collapsees etc.
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Jono912 » Fri 07 Jan, 2011 8:28 pm

Ok, just in one of your pics it seemed really fine. I know what kind of sand it is now. Thanks for that mate.
Jono912
Centurion Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm

just a quick update of my latest purchase a nice strawberry acro , hopefulyy it colours up as good as the one i already have
Plumbed up my chiller too last week. I can highly reconmend the hailea 500a. Reading the post on here i exspected a rattly sound of the old reverse cycle aircond in the wall. This thing is quite quiet and even can leave it on at night which i didnt exspect too. It take about 15 minutes to drop 1 degree and then takes about 1 hour to climb back up, in saying that we havent had the string of 35 + days but so far are very happy with its performance. For anyone interested im running approx 2700 lph thrrough the chiller.
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Kippers Reef Updated shots 16/1/10

Postby Thommo01 » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 11:26 pm

nice coral Kip. FTS with the new addition?? Do you have anymore room left in there? :D

So where is your tank situated from your B room? very far? Looking at a chiller but dont want it to be too noisy. Is the 500a rated double your tank size. Just curious how you went about deciding on what size to get.

Looking great mate. Love your Zoo garden. Some great colours going on there.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 11:36 pm

he has a little bit of room left, only a little ;)

thommo, i just bought a hc-150, which is going to be in my bedroom... ill let you know how it goes! Chris is thinking about upgrading eventually so he decided to get one which will hopefully do the next tank too.

thanks for the zoos Chris! they are slowly opening up, ill get a photo for you when the glass is clean ;)
I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other

Dorz' 3x1.5x1.7 Modded Aquamarine 900!
Dorz' NEW 4x2.5x2' Automated Bucket!
powered by ORD; obsessive reefer disorder
dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Eclip » Mon 17 Jan, 2011 9:54 am

Looking good kipper. The coral looks tightly packed (read natural) without looking overgrown.
MASAOG COMMITTEE MEMBER 2012
Eclip's Sumpless CLOSED DOWN
---------------------------------
70L DIY led powered nano
Eclip
Veteran Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Mon 17 Jan, 2011 4:00 pm

Thanks for the comments guys it is getting a little crowded but im slowly glueing acans on sides of rocks that will free up some space.Thommo my chiller is approx 6 metetrs from my bedroom door.To be quite honest i dont even know if its cut in at night etc. I have it set to 26c and it doesnt come back on till 27c . So at night it probly doesnt come on because by then the aircond probably cooled the house. I went for a much larger chiller than needed because from april onwards il might get a bigger tank.I was reading somewhere that the bigger the chiller the shorter time to cool down so less running time which i thought sounded ok.If before you buy one thommo your more than welcome to come up and hear mine running, il crank the heaters up if need be lol Just pm and il give you my number etc. :cheers:
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Mon 17 Jan, 2011 9:50 pm

Thanks for the advice Dorz and Kip. Very generous of you to offer a look, I'll take you up on that I think(any excuse to see the tank in person :devil: )

A bigger tank sound like a great plan mate. Are you planning on starting from scratch(gear wise) or just move it all over?

Will PM you shortly. Only just up the road. :thumbsup:
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 8:08 pm

The new tank (maybe) il probaly try and use some of the gear , ie phos filter ,return pumps,heat/chill but il probaly buy new skimmer ,tank sump. In regards to the lights im not sure what il do there. I thought about have exsisting 4 ft light in the center and maybe buying to a couple leds to put on either end.Hopefully they would have dimable ballest to match the intensity of the halides .Heres a couple full tank shot and placement of new acro. I like the contrast of the green to pink but once again my camera skills suck. :thumbsup:
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Brengun » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 8:20 pm

kipper31 wrote:Image

That tank is fantastic!
Brengun
Centurion Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:27 pm

Had the pleasure of listening to the new chiller today. Plus have a look at the tank of course :roflmao:

A real beautiful tank and pics just dont do it justice. The collection in there is insane. The hammer is deffinitly toxic green!! Look foward to seeing the bigger and better tank once it is going. The Zoo's are very colourful and agreat collection too. Will love to get my hands on some when fragging commences :poke: .

Daughter is still talking about the big pussy(cat :-D )

Much appreciated Kipper. :cheers:

P.S. Hope you remembered to turn the chiller back up before you left!!!!
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Sat 22 Jan, 2011 8:39 pm

haha, Kipper's cat is awesome! both the cat and the dog wouldnt leave me alone :D

any new additions kipper?
I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other

powered by ORD; obsessive reefer disorder
dorz
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks Guys the cats cool but a pain in the butt at times , i cant do anything with him getting his paws into it lol.Dorz no new additions ive been at edithburg for a few dats now and just for the record we didnt catch a single whiting in three days but plenty of big gar .
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 10:10 pm

No whiting at all???? Did you manage even a couple of undersize ones?? Bit wierd. I have always had good luck around Edithburg. Gar aint too bad though. Was it all out of the boat or did you give the jetty a go as well?
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 10:30 pm

Nope no whiting at all, i must admit it was pretty blowy and we couldnt get out to some of our usual grounds. Also fishing with my wife aint quite as serious as if i went out with my mates.I dont often fish edithburg so i cant say i know all the grounds etc.This forums gone from coral to cats to fishing lol. :thumbsup:
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Mon 24 Jan, 2011 10:41 pm

Looks really nice there. Some nice coral pieces too. Well done :thumbsup:
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby Thommo01 » Tue 25 Jan, 2011 12:23 am

:roflmao: Sorry about that.... Bad habit of mine. So..... Back to corals, fish and tanks :-D

So how many Lobo's do you actually have in there?
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby kipper31 » Tue 25 Jan, 2011 2:15 pm

I have 5 lobos but one i think is a symphillia,still not sure how to identify them.From now on im only buying acros,acans and some nice colour favites/favia if they come along.im just about to rearrange a few things and hopefully make some more room. :laugh:
kipper31
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Tue 25 Jan, 2011 9:29 pm

Yeh some favia/favites will fit into the tank well. Will creat a bit of a blend from the current stock into the acros.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dorz » Wed 26 Jan, 2011 1:26 am

kipper31 wrote:Nope no whiting at all, i must admit it was pretty blowy and we couldnt get out to some of our usual grounds. Also fishing with my wife aint quite as serious as if i went out with my mates.I dont often fish edithburg so i cant say i know all the grounds etc.This forums gone from coral to cats to fishing lol. :thumbsup:

what are ya talking about! we go out about a kay offshore near wattle point, sometimes out around the troubridge island lighthouse (most of the way there) in the 14ft tinny for snapper :p dont tell me your nice shiny boat cant take it haha!

we have found if its a nice calm night, we beach launch at wattle point (the part where you can drive onto the beach), then go out dabbing for gar there with the spotlight... ended up getting 180 odd gar over 3 nights, dad had the fun job of filleting!

anyway, nice aquarium mate :cheers: