• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Buster 4 x 2 x 2 Tank Journal [Winner TOTM October 2009]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Postby busterant » Tue 11 Mar, 2008 8:27 pm

thanks for the comments guys...

tony...email has been sent to reef exotic, plus an electrical company we work with to see what he can get from his suppliers in terms of halide fittings. I have a 4 foot T5 set up atm, maybe i should get 2 x 250 halides and run my T5 lights with a combination of blue atinics and purple fiji globes etc in them to get the colours....hmmm...something to think about i guess.

Note: I mentioned in this journal i used a new water based paint that was meant to give an high gloss acrylic finish. Well today i went back to the oil based super high gloss acrylic and its heaps better. dont care wat the paint guys say. it goes on easier, not streaky, and looks like a mirror. Only downer is drying time and cleaning up.

So...anyone painting MDF, big thumbs up to "dulux super acrylic oil based paint" im using "off white" and isnt as in your face as plain white. Hood and stand will be finished within a few days so will have pictures soon enough :thumbsup:
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby sjp770 » Wed 12 Mar, 2008 3:39 pm

Looking good!

have to agree about the luminbrights!
Last edited by sjp770 on Fri 28 Mar, 2008 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
sjp770
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby busterant » Tue 18 Mar, 2008 3:35 pm

It was an absolute nightmare but the tank has finally made the move from our factory to home where it can be set up.

Tank, Stand and hood are now complete. Sump has been plumbed. So heres some pictures.... (havent been able to find my camera so sorry about phone pictures)

Set Up

Another...

Sump, decided to ditch the hose plumbing on the return, didnt trust it. So with a bit of mucking around i have used PVS with the eheim 1262, and have put in a 2nd ball valve on the return plumbing to reduce return pressure on the pump.

Fun begins...Purchased some 1630 Kiln dried filter sand. Way cheaper than coral sand and crushed marble and i believe it looks more realistic. Doesnt have the ph booster or calc booster qualities of some but at $9 a bag who can complain.

still cant make up my mind about lights yet....getting there though.

:thumbsup:
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Tue 18 Mar, 2008 4:15 pm

:clap: :clap: Looking Good Mate!!
Keep It up, and keep the pics coming.
:cheers:
Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dougie » Sat 22 Mar, 2008 11:57 pm

:thumbsup:
dougie
Veteran Reefer

Postby busterant » Tue 25 Mar, 2008 8:51 pm

with the help of dan from essendon aquarium for lending me all of his containers and the guys down at reeflections for supplying me with plenty of water my tank is finally wet!

Because of the 000 grade marble dust its taken almost 3 full days for the water to clear but its finally cleared up for some pictures...

Sump.

Took a bit of playing around. Had to put a tuperwear container under the skimmer to get the bubbles at the right height. Purchased a light from Ikea for jack shite. Finally glued most of the plumbing. not all in case i need to get to the return pump or skimmer etc. Thanks for those who gave me the idea of putting an additional ball valve on my return. works a treat and saves return pressure on the pump.

As mentioned, the sand is finally settling and is getting clearer by the day. At the moment i have just put an old 3 Foot T5 light on the tank so i can see wats actually going on in my tank. Only have 3 of my 6 Hydor powerheads in atm because the other 3 are in my current tank.

2 Mini Lumen Bright Reflectors are in the mail from Reef Exotic in the US. Tony (AuSMaDog) talked me into them! So they will really light this tank up hopefully.

Live rock should arrive this week! :thumbsup:
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby yellow tang » Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:34 pm

good choice, the lumen brights are pure class.
:cheers:,
yellow tang
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Fri 04 Apr, 2008 11:38 pm

Update:

Been away for a few days so the tank has just been cycling whilst ive been busy and its progressing really well. Only been able to put around 30kg of rock in so far but it was very live rock so its been able to start a good cycle and theres been so many pods all over the glass and snails popping out of everywhere which is good.

Over the weekend and next another 40-60kg will go into the tank creating the complete "pyramid" style aquascaping im going for in this tank which will cover the overflow completely and provide a good surface to plant corals to.

Here are some pics.

Note: Lumen Brights have not been fitted

1st stage of live rock:

Sump running, no macro yet or much live rock. Just empted skimmer cup cause it was full of fowl skimate :thumbsup:

Lumen Bright Mini's that arrive whilst i was away. (look gold cause the protective film is still on them)

FTS

All coming together but as mention all these pictures where taken without the lumens. im just running a temp 3 foot T5 atm.

More pics to come.

busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Nick Marine » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 4:14 am

amazing progress,

may i ask who did you take the cabinet too ? is that 2 pack finish? costs involved?
Nick Marine
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby philip_c » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 7:45 am

wow, that is stunning, i love how everything is so neat the way you set it up
great work, keep it up, dont forget to post more pics of your progress :-)
Philip
philip_c
Veteran Reefer

Postby busterant » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 11:09 am

Nick Marine wrote:amazing progress,

may i ask who did you take the cabinet too ? is that 2 pack finish? costs involved?

Thanks mate! I did the cabinet and hood myself. If you look back over my journal you'll see how i got that finish on it.

I know i did mention it in my journal but do not get sucked into using an acrylic water based paint. They just dont work if you are after that high gloss finish. So stick with the oil base paint.

To save you looking back i used an acrylic undercoat. 3 coats.

I was suckered into using that water based crap on the stand which i did 5 coats on! Then i went out and bought the oil base version and hit the stand with 2 more coats and the hood with 5. Takes a while but goes on pretty easy. And all this was just on MDF..so sealing etc is essential. After all the paint i think the 19mm MDF is around 23 now haha.

2 x 1 litre tins of paint $35 each.
Roller - $10
Undercoat - was given to me but wouldnt be much.

Note: just keep sanding back the surface between coats with really fine grade paper.

It's not hard. Give it a crack!

philip_c....Thanks for the comments ill keep the pics coming :cheers:

ant
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 3:30 pm

:clap: :clap: Lookin great ant, can't wait to see the Lumen Brights on your tank, should look awesome!!
Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby busterant » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 7:43 pm

Thanks tony. Had a play around today with the lights. I was able to make up some Stainless steel braces and folded up some stainless brackets to match. then just screwed the lights into them.

As mentioned im still awaiting on ballasts and globes so these pics are just the reflectors fitted on the hood. (still temp running the 3" T5)

Also got another 20Kg of fresh live rock and transfered 10Kg from my old tank.

Lumen Bright Minis:

Lumens and Tank

Tank after some more rock added today. Im leaving "Shelves" in the aquascaping for corals. (you may see them if you look closely)

This guy he is the only reason i can use my old rock in my new tank. He is an absolute aptasia machine. This guy eats aptasia from a piece of you rock your holding in your hand. Picked him up last week just to see if he would eat it. Within 3 minutes in my tank he was ripping it apart. So good.

Now its just a matter of sitting and waiting. Ill arrange to get the ballasts and globes over the next week whilst i wait for my tank to cycle.

Thanks for the nice words everyone. Look forward to showing some more action soon!
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Sun 13 Apr, 2008 8:39 pm

Hey everyone. After a few weeks all is good. Been a slow transition of rock from old tank and some new rock. Had my butterfly destroy all of the aptasia and here we are. New tank up and running!

Lumen brights aren't up and running yet. so better pics STILL to come.
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Sun 13 Apr, 2008 8:56 pm

my DIY Auto Top off i made today.

Using a stefani float valve and some gardening equiptment, with the help of an old eheim internal filter bracket i came up with this!

so far so good!
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby blacjack » Sun 13 Apr, 2008 9:50 pm

Your set-ups looking really good mate.

Are you trying to breed the aptasia in your sump to feed the butterfly, or are you going to rely on prepared foods?

Chris
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby busterant » Sun 13 Apr, 2008 11:27 pm

the butterfly was only really a temp purchase. once my aptasia was clearly gone i was going to sell him or give it out for others to use with aptasia problems. It eats brine shrimp so he shouldnt have a problem without aptasia. Im happy to keep him for a while though. its starting to grow on me a bit.

busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby blacjack » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 4:05 pm

That's good it's eating other foods. I'd imagine it would be hard to give up such a beautiful fish.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby busterant » Fri 25 Apr, 2008 6:25 pm

Hey guys i thought it just be easy if i uploaded a movie of the tank today which gives you a good indication of how its all going.

The Old tank is now empty, everything has moved accross (Which was only fish and rock) and everything has been up and running for 2 weeks now and going great!

New Additions:

Sumatran clowns (Import)
Mandarin
Gigantea anemone
Some Morphs

Here it is. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Oc-ZkVX6I
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby blakey88 » Thu 01 May, 2008 11:40 pm

wow your tank sounds basically silent buster!
blakey88
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Wed 07 May, 2008 10:39 pm

it is....dead set silent.

Mods have been made to powerheads to make them silent, durso is quite high in the overflow so thats silent...and everything in the stand is closed so its very very quite.

Will update with some pictures this weekend.... Lumen Brights will be up and running by then!
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby AuS MaDDoG » Thu 08 May, 2008 10:04 pm

:clap:
Stop teasing mate!! get them pic's posted :roflmao:
Tony.
AuS MaDDoG
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby busterant » Sun 25 May, 2008 7:27 pm

Updated pictures....with cactus phone camera but anyway...

Lumen Brights Up and running. Everything just starting to get used to it.

getting there..
busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby busterant » Sun 25 May, 2008 7:29 pm

a few that were taken on a better phone camera..

busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby abbott75 » Sun 25 May, 2008 10:21 pm

Looks great mate! This journal has really got me excited about setting up my own!

Adam
abbott75
Veteran Reefer

Postby Paraboy01 » Mon 26 May, 2008 10:07 pm

Looks excellent job well done :bow: love the clowns
Paraboy01
Curious Reefer

Postby busterant » Sun 01 Jun, 2008 8:22 pm

Using dodge phone camera but some updated pics....enjoy...

busterant
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby dougie » Sun 01 Jun, 2008 9:56 pm

looking great!
dougie
Veteran Reefer

Postby starfunker » Sun 01 Jun, 2008 10:42 pm

That looks really good mate!
starfunker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby xioxxio » Thu 04 Sep, 2008 1:57 am

Looking fantastic, well done
"There are 10 different kinds of people in this world -- those who understand binary and those who don't."
xioxxio
Bicentenary Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)