• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Mgravs ZEOvit 30" cube FOR SALE (TOTM Jan 2010)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Postby eliass » Sun 31 Dec, 2006 1:40 pm

guys saw this yesterday in person ...wow!!!! it is gorjuzz mate keep up the good work
I know indeed what evil I intend to do,
but stronger than all my afterthoughts is my fury,
fury that brings upon mortals the greatest evils.
eliass
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby dejavu » Sun 31 Dec, 2006 3:37 pm

Nice new additions Michael!

I know that Stylopora is green, but I love that "bi-color" look to it.

Keep up the good work. I would love to see some updated FTS with the new additions. Perhaps a few top down shots too!
dejavu
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mgrav » Tue 02 Jan, 2007 10:33 am

eliass wrote:guys saw this yesterday in person ...wow!!!! it is gorjuzz mate keep up the good work

Thanks mate. Look forward to seeing your tank mature over the coming months also.

Louis,
I will be working on a few new photos in the coming weeks. I have had a bit of tissue loss last week and want to get the problem sorted out first.. I had to take the calc reactor off line and a calc/alk drop was the cause. Not very happy but i'm back on top of it now.
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mgrav » Wed 10 Jan, 2007 8:02 pm

Bit of an update. The tank has been having a few problems lately the cause being a Alk swing from 6.5dkh to 9dkh due to a calc reactor problem. Because of it I lost half of one of my acro's and completly lost my favorite flouro acro. Lucky I had a frag in the tank but that also is not looking the best. Things are back to normal now so it should make it through.

Also my Royal gramma has pop eye which I do not know how he got. My pretty sure the Alk swing couldn't of done it.. Feel free to comment if ya have any info on this. He is still eating and will get through it as he has before. Poor bugger.

Anyway here are some pictures of differant things in the tank.. The colour is not quite right but ya get the drift.

Frag of the colony I lost
My new favorite since the loss :wall:
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby shnapper20 » Wed 10 Jan, 2007 8:31 pm

stunning :bow: :bow:
shnapper20
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby mgrav » Wed 10 Jan, 2007 9:24 pm

Cheers thanks John..
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mgrav » Sun 11 Feb, 2007 2:05 pm

Thought I would just put up some pictures of equipment updates. I have added 2 x 24 watt retrofit T5 kits from http://www.delightings.com/ . The bulbs consist of 2 x Aqua Science Special 15000k and 2 x Ati Aqua Blue Special. I'm also nearly ready for a MH bulb change to i'll be changing from 14k corallights to 10k XM.

I've also added a couple of pictures of what my skimmer has been pulling out in 4 days of skimming.. YUK!!

The last few are of my turbo snail spawning.

Enjoy..

mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mgrav » Fri 20 Jun, 2008 3:40 pm

After a year with out a tank I am almost ready to add water again :clap: . I still have the same tank but have made a little equipment cupboard so I have a little more room for equipment and for ease of maintenance. I have also made a few changes in the equipment side of things. This is what i've got going so far.

Skimmer: Deltec APF600
Calc reactor: Deltec pf601s
Lighting: 400watt 10k XM on mag ballast/ 4x 24watt t5's 2x ati blue plus and changing the other 2 to actinic maybe Aquaz. The blue plus will be changed to Korallen-Zucht Fiji Purple at some stage.
Circulation: Tunze Ts-24
Return: Aquabee 3000
ZeoVit reactor with Ehiem compact 600
Tunze osmolator

I will be giving ZeoVit a go to see what results I can get using it. After visiting Korallen-Zucht H.Q in Coburg Germany this was the way to go for me. I am also going to start off with a fake sand bed using ARM media epoxied to the base off the tank, this should be interesting to see how it works out. I will add a 1 inch sand bed over this later to help with the Zeo side of things. The reason behind covering the fake sand bed is with the amount of flow I will have going the sand will tend to move but rather have ugly exposed glass it will have the fake sand bed.

Anyway here is my progress so far enjoy. :thumbsup:

Last edited by mgrav on Fri 01 Aug, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby billet » Fri 20 Jun, 2008 8:25 pm

Hi Michael

Just having a look at your new zeovit reactor there, I would highly recommend that before you start using it, you retrofit the reactor into a dual compartment design. I say this because when its filled with rocks and it comes time to pump the reactor to release the 'mulm', the rocks will jam into the side of the compartment and prevent you from pumping the 'lites. I have a dual chamber reactor and it causes me enough grief if I only have a small stone stuck in the side, with acrylic being soft, it will bite right in.

HTH

:cheers:
Chris
billet
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby tOiletduck » Fri 20 Jun, 2008 8:50 pm

Cant wait to see this up and running again, some very sweet equipment there mgrav. :D
James.
tOiletduck
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mgrav » Fri 20 Jun, 2008 9:41 pm

billet wrote:Hi Michael

Just having a look at your new zeovit reactor there, I would highly recommend that before you start using it, you retrofit the reactor into a dual compartment design. I say this because when its filled with rocks and it comes time to pump the reactor to release the 'mulm', the rocks will jam into the side of the compartment and prevent you from pumping the 'lites. I have a dual chamber reactor and it causes me enough grief if I only have a small stone stuck in the side, with acrylic being soft, it will bite right in.

HTH

Chris

Yeah I considered this but as I got this one pretty cheap I thought I would give it a go first. I figured if the Grotech is only a single chamber I should be pretty right. Warick from ZeoVit NZ has been using his for 3 years and said he just gives it a little twist and it comes loose. Just never pull at it.

Thanks tOiletduck I can't wait either 1 year with out a tank was way to long.
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Cale W » Sat 21 Jun, 2008 12:25 am

Hi mate!

The new design with the cuboard next to the tank is a great idea! Us adelaidians still have a selection of your old corals growing nicely by the way.

Looking forward to seeing it up and running!
250L cube, ATI 8x24W Sunpower, Profilux + dosing system, Oceans Motions 2-way + Tunze Nanostreams, Deltect AP701 - in Adelaide
Cale W
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mgrav » Sat 21 Jun, 2008 10:36 am

Cale W wrote:Hi mate!

The new design with the cuboard next to the tank is a great idea! Us adelaidians still have a selection of your old corals growing nicely by the way.

Looking forward to seeing it up and running!

I'm glad all the coral is still growing I would love to see some photos for all the people out there that recieved coral from me. Would be very interesting to see how they are doing. :thumbsup:
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Sun 22 Jun, 2008 2:30 pm

Looking great Michael - I'm watching with interest! :thumbsup:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mgrav » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 7:22 pm

Bit of an update for those interested. I have completed my lighting arrangment which consists of 1x 400watt xm10k and 4x24watt T5's ( 2x Ati blue plus and 2x Aquascience special 15k. Should really blast those sps. I will be having a pretty low aquascape so the extra light should be good for my 700mm deep tank.

mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Guv » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 8:44 pm

Very cool! :thumbsup:

You probably haven't tried it yet but are the T5's going to drop shadows (they just look very close to the MH reflector).
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby baphomet » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 9:07 pm

Nice work Michael ,
Will be watching your tank closely as i'm going to do a Zeovit cube.
:thumbsup:

Paul.
P.T.B.A
baphomet
Veteran Reefer

Postby mgrav » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 9:09 pm

Guv wrote:Very cool! :thumbsup:

You probably haven't tried it yet but are the T5's going to drop shadows (they just look very close to the MH reflector).

I don't think they will as the fixture takes up the whole tank so if the light does get blocked by them it will only be the light heading towards the glass. If that makes sense? If it does I will just have to modify. So fingers crossed.
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby KeithM » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 9:11 pm

mgrav wrote:I'm glad all the coral is still growing I would love to see some photos for all the people out there that recieved coral from me. Would be very interesting to see how they are doing. :thumbsup:

Heres the one I got from you:

Has been one of the best additions to my tank and has been fragged countless times for others, thanks Michael.
Can't wait to see the new tank up and running again too mate.
Cheers, Keith
My Tank Journal
KeithM
Veteran Reefer

Postby mgrav » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 9:30 pm

baphomet wrote:Nice work Michael ,

Thats great baphomet maybe a few frag swaps in the future then? :poke:
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mgrav » Tue 15 Jul, 2008 10:04 pm

KeithM wrote:
mgrav wrote:I'm glad all the coral is still growing I would love to see some photos for all the people out there that recieved coral from me. Would be very interesting to see how they are doing. :thumbsup:

Has been one of the best additions to my tank and has been fragged countless times for others, thanks Michael.
Can't wait to see the new tank up and running again too mate.

Wow Keith that seri is looking fantastic and your getting really good growth out of it as well. I'm glad you like it. I love getting updates of my former corals. Thanks heaps! :clap: :clap:
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby baphomet » Wed 16 Jul, 2008 11:43 am

mgrav wrote:
baphomet wrote:Nice work Michael ,

Thats great baphomet maybe a few frag swaps in the future then? :poke:

Michael as soon as I have anything to frag I'll let you know. :thumbsup:

Paul.
P.T.B.A
baphomet
Veteran Reefer

Postby mgrav » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 5:58 pm

Hey all I just thought I would update my progress. After waiting for my reactor pump for 7 weeks I finally recieved it today so I will be kicking off on sunday with my Zeo dosing :clap: . I also my driving down to collect my live rock tomorrow morning which is very exciting not knowing whats going to be hiding in the Rock Crevices. The rock will have only been collected 2 days ago so it will be very fresh.

I also have my zeolites and carbon soaking in fresh Ro/Di water and my reactor ready to go cycling 3 hours on 3 hours off with 330lph running through it. I will be doing a 60 litre water change tomorrow when the new live rock goes in to try and save as much life on the rock as I can. Right now I have hundreds of tiny snails and thousands of various critters running around the tank just from 1 piece of rock I put in there 3 weeks ago. The rock also has a few differant corals on it and are doing great so I'm pretty happy with how things are running. That brings me to my water quality. These are my readings taken in the last couple of days.

Temp=25-26'
P04=0.04 (hanna)
Alk=7.3 (LaMotte)
Calc=420 (LaMotte)
Mg=1250 (elos)
K+=350
N03=5ppm (salifert)

I've also been very busy doing lots of stuff to the tank. I've got my water storage bins and Ro/Di unit set up in the shed. You can see the pipes coming out of the side of the shed 1 is RO and the other is Saltwater. My Ro/DI consists of Sediment>carbon>membrane>post carbon>DI>2nd stage DI. The reason I have 2 DI stages is I exhasted 1 pretty quickly and decided to add a second larger stage, I just left the old one on there even if its taking out tiny amounts of TDS its still helping the second stage. With Ballarat water I need all the help I can get :wall: .

I have almost completed my hood and all the lights are connected I also added 2 moonlights on a controller whick look fantastic of a night.

Here are a few pictures of my water station and an older one of the tank with just T5's. I will be doing a big photo update in the next week once the rock is in and aquascaped.

mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 6:15 pm

Woo hoo!! :clap: :clap:

I can feel the excitement from here!!

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby pete&kylie » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 6:54 pm

There should be a good update early next week then :thumbsup:
pete&kylie
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby mgrav » Fri 01 Aug, 2008 9:12 pm

Rod the Reefer wrote:Woo hoo!! :clap: :clap:

I can feel the excitement from here!!

Rod. :thumbsup:

Try and tell me that at 5am when i'm getting out of bed to collect my live rock. :nut:

pete&kylie wrote:There should be a good update early next week then

Yeah it will be a good update I promise.
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mgrav » Mon 04 Aug, 2008 12:25 pm

Ok live rock is going great and the skimmer is sucking out heaps of foul smelling crap. On to the pics. Please excuse the messy cords etc. I'm still working on a few things.

Yuk!
From the front
Left side
Right side
Some coral from the rock
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mgrav » Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:29 pm

Hey guys just an update on the tank, the live rock has now been in there for closer to 2 weeks and things are going great. I didn't really get much of a cycle by the end of the first week cycle was completly finished thanks to the ZEOvit! I got little to no die off on the live rock and it is covered in heaps of differant critters, plants and coral. I'm for ever finds little things I haven't noticed before, the joy of fresh live rock!

I did have a little out break of what I think is diatoms but the ZEOvit and new snails made very short work of that. With in 4 days they were completly gone, now I have a crisp white faux sand bed.

I've also completed the hood doors and now I just have to clean up the wires and set my lights on timers this weekend. Also trying to figure out what fans i'm going to use. Any suggestions?? I'm thinking 2 of these Vantec Stealth 120mm

Anyway on to some fresh pictures.

Diatoms
Little green isopod??
Notice the faux sand bed I did this using epoxy and A.R.M media
This shows how I tried to lift the rock work off the bottom of the tank for better water movement
Bivalve of some sort
Hitchiker Brain
Astraea snail
Sponge growth
Turbo snail
Hitchhiker coral
Cerith snail
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Fatjusto » Fri 15 Aug, 2008 7:37 am

like the faux sand bed(wish i had have done it) and the rest of the tank looks sweet as!!!!!!
Fatjusto
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Jase » Fri 15 Aug, 2008 8:40 am

hey mgrav very nice tank mate, great to see another zeo user! :thumbsup:
Jase
Veteran Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)