• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Barrett's Aquareef 300 Series 2

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Barrett's Aquareef 300 Series 2

Postby BK_120 » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 1:07 pm

Introduction:

So after having my Aquaone Minireef 120 up and running for nearly 18 months its time to upgrade. After much deliberation I've decided to get a Aquaone Aquareef 300 Series 2 in white. This is pretty much the largest tank I can have with my available space. I was thinking about a Cade 900 but the mrs liked the extra height on the Aquareef. And life is always easier when the mrs is happy so the Aquareef it is.

Once this is set up and cycled I will transfer my existing fish and corals from my Minireef and then shut that tank down. I am planning on reusing as much stuff from the Minireef as possible. So at some point the Light, ATO and wavemaker will transfer across.

System Objectives: Something nice to look at in the evening.

System Type: Mixed Reef, mostly LPS but might try some SPS down the track.

Display System: Aquaone Aquareef 300 Series 2

Strike up Date: Tank is ordered, so soon.

Display Tank: Aquareef 300 Series 2. 300l in display.

Display Lighting: Supplied 75W Mariglow LED. At some point will upgrade to twin AI Hydra 26 HD's when I can afford the second Hydra unit.

Stand: Aquareef 300 Series 2 stock stand.

Hood: Stockhood as supplied.

Sump: Stock Sump as supplied. Not sure what the water volume is but guessing around 80l.

Refugium: Tba.

Refugium Lighting: Tba.

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation: tba.

Return Pump: Stock return pump.

Skimmer: Aquaone G220 Skimmer.

Evaporation Top Up: Tunze ATO (from the 120)

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: tba

Alkilinity Addition: tba

Other Chemical Maintenance: rba

Current Water Chemistry: No water as yet.
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:
BK_120
RTAW Reefer
MASS Member

Re: Barrett's Aquareef 300 Series 2

Postby BK_120 » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 1:00 pm

New tank arrived from the LFS today. Unfortunately the stand has been damaged in transit so the LFS has to source a replacement. When they checked the other stand in stock at the shop it also had damage. So looks like another week before I can start putting it all together.
BK_120
RTAW Reefer
MASS Member

Postby wayne2.0 » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 3:55 pm

Must be frustrating
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby BK_120 » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 10:34 am

Had a bit of luck as the LFS was able to source a replacement stand quicker than expected.

So its wet . . . .

BK_120
RTAW Reefer
MASS Member

Postby Vilante » Mon 03 Apr, 2017 11:48 am

Woohoo!
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer
MASS Member

Postby Autonomy » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 12:16 am

:withyou:
"...the sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonders forever" Jacques Cousteau
Autonomy
Bicentenary Reefer
MASS Member

Postby BK_120 » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 8:15 am

Its taking ages to cycle but the ammonia has finally disappeared along with the nitrites so should be good by the weekend to move the inhabitants from the 120 into this one. The strombus has a nice carpet of brown stuff to munch once it moves into its new home.
BK_120
RTAW Reefer
MASS Member

Postby KRL » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 5:23 pm

What was the set up like with the aquareef? I had read some stuff about it needing mods to work well (e.g. pipes to long) or reduce noise and condensation, any issues? And may I ask who you bought through?

Looks good so far! I really like the white stand, looks real clean
KRL
Starting to get the hang of this place

Postby BK_120 » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 2:00 pm

The tank is assembled as stock. Its pretty much silent with the standard plumbing once it had worked the air in the pipes out. Then I turned the stock skimmer on which sounds like a washing machine. A replacement of the G220 skimmer will be the first upgrade, but must admit am used to the noise since the 120 runs the same skimmer.

I have noticed some condensation on the light/lids. Removing the black plastic covers which sit over the tank seems to have fixed that. The covers will disappear at some point once I source a second AI Hydra 26 unit so I can replace the stock lighting. The single Hydra 26 off the mini reef doesn't cover enough of the 300.
BK_120
RTAW Reefer
MASS Member

Postby BK_120 » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:30 am

Ok so the tank has finished cycling, left it for another few days but the 120 needed to be shut down. So into the job of shutting down the 120 and moving everything into the 300 S2. I had forgotten how much work was involved in pulling down a tank.

My wife hates the bristle worms so that was one instruction on what was not to be moved across. The bigger one here is probably close to a foot long when fully extended.

Junior loves them however.

Everything moved into their new home. Lots of space for new stuff moving forward.
BK_120
RTAW Reefer
MASS Member

Postby BK_120 » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 9:46 am

Looks like Photobucket finally caught me. Time to move all my photos somewhere else.
BK_120
RTAW Reefer
MASS Member

Postby BK_120 » Sat 30 Dec, 2017 8:43 am

Tank and chiller have been running fine for weeks. Go away for 3 days over Christmas and come back to find the chiller had decided to leak at the outlet valve. Dumped about 60 l of water over the floor until the sump level dropped below the pump intakes. Nothing in the tank was looking happy but a quick refill and getting the circulation going again has everything looking happy again. Only lost a starfish so got lucky with that one.
BK_120
RTAW Reefer
MASS Member

Postby BK_120 » Tue 16 Oct, 2018 8:59 pm

So I am having a massive problem with a green hair algae of some form. I have been dosing the tank with Red Sea Algae Management (which I believe is basically carbon dosing) for 4 weeks now as per the directions supplied and it is not really having any impact on the algae growth. It must be some form on nutrient imbalance but at this point the algae is using everything up and testing is coming back at nominal levels for phosphate and nitrates. I am rapidly getting to the point of shutting the tank down due to the issue.

Can anyone give me some suggestions that might help?
BK_120
RTAW Reefer
MASS Member

Postby Autonomy » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 11:38 pm

Hang in there mate, at one time or another we've all gone through the wars when it comes to getting on top of the algae issues. The last time I had to deal with an ongoing green hair algae issue, it took me about 8months before I finally managed to get on top of it.

Excerpt from ‘Algae – A Problem Solver Guide by Julian Sprung.’

The ‘greens’ are the most diverse grouping of algae, with more than 7000 species.

“Common Name: Green Hair Algae, GHA. (Scientific: Derbesia)

Description: Dark green extremely fine filaments, loosely attached under low velocity water movement, tightly adhering under strong water flow.

Desirable/undesirable features: Good substrate for amphipods, copepods, worms and other foods for mandarin fishes.

Controls: Maintain Alkalinity above 8 dKH, use phosphate export via protein skimming, algae filters, or phosphate adsorbing media. Use toothbrush to remove small patches. Herbivores.

Herbivores: Hermit crabs, Amphipods, Surgeonfish, Rabbitfish, Angelfish, Diadema Urchin, Tuxedo Urchin, Astraea Snail, Trochus Snail, Turbo Snail, Limpets, Elysia spp. sea slugs”.

:cheers:
"...the sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonders forever" Jacques Cousteau
Autonomy
Bicentenary Reefer
MASS Member

Postby BK_120 » Sun 04 Nov, 2018 5:27 am

Well an update on this. The tank started to crash so the algae was a symptom. Had a second tank lying around into which I managed to get all my fish. I've now stripped the main tank, given it a major clean and am starting the setup cycle again with new base rock and sand. Going to upgrade the skimmer, as I am fairly sure the stock unit was not doing a good job.
BK_120
RTAW Reefer
MASS Member

Postby Autonomy » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 12:42 pm

That is definitely not good news, tank crashes are never a fun thing to deal with. :bawling:
Following along, so good luck with it all and keep us all posted. :thumbsup:
Autonomy
Bicentenary Reefer
MASS Member

Postby BK_120 » Tue 13 Nov, 2018 1:22 pm

So its been cleaned and scrubbed. New sand has gone in along with the part of the fully cleaned base rock. Its been filled with water and I am waiting for it to cycle. I replaced the stock skimmer with a Aqua Excel which is doing a much better job. I have added a big block of marine pure into the sump instead of the coral rubble I had there before, that should make that section of tank easier to keep nice and clean. Now just to sit back and wait for it to cycle.
BK_120
RTAW Reefer
MASS Member

Postby BK_120 » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 4:20 pm

Its finally finished cycling. I've done a partial water change and will give it another week before I move the fish back in. I have set aside an area of the sump for some macro algae so hopefully that will suck out any excess nutrients which are in the system. I am getting a higher phosphate reading (0.12ppm) than I would like so will need to work on fixing that. Its coming in with my NSW so not a lot I can do about it, hopefully the algae in the sump will suck it out.
BK_120
RTAW Reefer
MASS Member

Return to Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)