• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

New setup 5x2x2

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

New setup 5x2x2

Postby spicyburrito » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 2:40 pm

Just finished building a new house with the aim of having a tank to be the feature in the living/dining/kitchen areas of the house. Looking to go a 5x2x2 setup yet to be purchased.

Had plumbing put through the wall to run outside for the chiller to be housed.

System Type: Mixed Reef

Strike up Date: Hopefully by September 17

Display Tank: 5x2x2 - starphire front

Display Lighting: 2 x Radion XR30 G3's

Stand: Steel stand with door claddings to match the kitchen cabinetry

Hood: unsure at the moment, thinking connect-it tubing with same doors as the stand.

Sump: 3x1.5x1.5 with 4sections

Support systems:

System Water: ASW

Display Water circulation:
MP40QD & Tunze 6025

Return Pump: Vectra M1/L1

Skimmer: Deltec SC1455

Evaporation Top Up: Manual to begin with.
Last edited by spicyburrito on Fri 26 Jan, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
spicyburrito
Lurking Reefer

Re: New setup 5x2x2

Postby spicyburrito » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 2:48 pm

Completed most of the plumbing for the Chiller the other day.

installed a tap fitting on the side of the piping outside so that i can do quick and easy water change down the back yard.

Last edited by spicyburrito on Fri 26 Jan, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spicyburrito
Lurking Reefer

Postby wayne2.0 » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 5:16 pm

The drains a nice help, wish i could put one in.
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby spicyburrito » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 5:08 pm

It has taken a while for any updates.

I picked up the tank and stand today from Dennison (Mary-Anne's Aquarium). Tank is 5 x 2 x 2 with external rear coast to coast overflow.
The sump should be done in the next few weeks then onto Cladding.

What are some recommendations for cladding - I was thinking of plain white laminate to match the kitchen beside and having the 2 sides and 2 front panels on magnets for easy removal.
Last edited by spicyburrito on Sat 27 Jan, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
spicyburrito
Lurking Reefer

Postby Michael_Reefer » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 5:56 pm

Have a look at IKEA's rang of kitchen doors. You can get a pretty big variety of colours and sizes to fit the stand. I just finished cladding mine with their 40 x 100 doors in gloss white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michael_Reefer
Curious Reefer

Postby spicyburrito » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. The issue that I have is that the stand is 95cm tall. I'll need cladding for the front to be 2 pieces 75cm x 1m.

The fun has begun, plumbing and form-ply for the inside of the cabinet.

spicyburrito
Lurking Reefer

Postby spicyburrito » Sat 27 Jan, 2018 12:09 am

Majority of the electronics and storage shelf has been made, just need to screw the top board into place and drill the holes for equipment and power leads to come through. Also thinking bout cutting out a section in the back for some extra ventilation as i think the battery backup and 2 Radion light power supplies will generate a bit of heat.

spicyburrito
Lurking Reefer

Postby colg » Sat 27 Jan, 2018 9:56 am

spicyburrito wrote:
What are some recommendations for cladding - I was thinking of plain white laminate to match the kitchen beside and having the 2 sides and 2 front panels on magnets for easy removal.

I found aluminum composite board worked well. It is light and presents really well.
Have a look at my journal for some pics.
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby spicyburrito » Fri 09 Feb, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely look into it.

Power board arrived today from K&J aquatics, they look good. I created a little shelf below for the power cables to all fall down into to tidy up the cabling.

Also decided to make a board for the back of the tank to help soundproof the sump area a bit better. will need to cut out holes for the plumbing to come through and will also put in 1 or maybe 2 air vents similar to inside the equipment cabinet section.

spicyburrito
Lurking Reefer

Postby spicyburrito » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:37 pm

Sump was delivered this afternoon. Happy with the layout, although it fits a little tighter than I had anticipated inside the stand.

Did some more plumbing for the drains and cutout the rear wall of the frame. There is one more 40mm drain that needs to be installed for the emergency drain into the skimmer section but I ran out of pipe.

spicyburrito
Lurking Reefer

Postby spicyburrito » Sat 17 Mar, 2018 10:00 pm

Today after a few weeks without any real progress I went and seen a cabinet maker about having some cabinetry cut for the cladding of the stand and canopy. Everything there went well and for the exterior cladding I am only looking at 2.5 panels and they will cut and trim all the pieces for me, and also add some rebate holes in it for the magnets - I just need t find some that are suitable now.

I ended up getting the inside shell of the canopy built this afternoon, still need to add in some rails so that i can mount the 2 Radions onto. overall very happy with how it is turning out, wish it could have been a little shorter but for the height the Radions get mounted this was where I was at.

The front on picture the canopy looks as though it is sagging - this will be fixed once the rest of the cabinetry is added as it will be an extra 16mm thickness. I will probably also add in some more cross section supports inside aswell though just in case.
spicyburrito
Lurking Reefer

Postby spicyburrito » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 8:44 pm

I am looking to visit the cabinet makers during the next week. I am a little unsure if I should cut a hole in the top to let out any excess heat from inside the hood or not. I was going to have a circle cut directly above where I was going to mount the lights but I forgot that the Radion lights fans are actually on the underside of the light so this would not really work.

Looking for opinions on wether you would go with a hole cut the size of each of the lights above them, or a single hole in the middle of the hood basically between the two lights.

spicyburrito
Lurking Reefer

Postby Spuznik » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 9:32 am

Hi,

I'd go with two.

It will let the radiating heat from the units vent easier and reduce the amount of heat circluating in the hood.

I would also mount fans on the sides or back to draw cooler air in to acellerate the heat leaving the hood.

Cheers,

Tim
Spuznik
Curious Reefer

Postby spicyburrito » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 12:11 am

It's been a white since I last updated. Things have been moving along verrrryyy slowly but finally moving along again.

Turned out that the front piece of glass was not correct, it was supposed to be Starphire but was actually just a Chinese low iron pane.
Tank went back to the builder for a few months because he is over 2 hours drive away from where I live while he fixed the panel.

While it was there I had a full height blue background glued onto the back and a laser cut overflow comb.

I've been slowly filling over the last week but thinking that I should get the substrate in before filling any further.

spicyburrito
Lurking Reefer

Postby spicyburrito » Wed 28 Nov, 2018 9:22 pm

I picked up the cabinetry today, all ready to start assembling.

I test fitted the lower cabinet pieces against the stand tonight, pretty happy with how it is turning out.

Hood has the same cabinetry with a pair of lift up doors at the front and a gas strut support, just need to cut out sections of the plywood box for the hinges to be screwed into and a pair of holes on top for air ventilation.

Also had to send back the Radion that I had currently on this tank to the distributor that I was struggling to link up to my reeflink. They are saying that the power supply is busted, hopefully the replacement power supply fixes the problems I was having.

Once I have the lights back its time to get some rock and put some salt into this thing. It has been a long time coming but hopefully all the effort will be worth it.
spicyburrito
Lurking Reefer

Postby spicyburrito » Thu 06 Dec, 2018 8:00 pm

Managed to put together the hood over the past week, just need to screw the gas struts in.
Cabinetry looks good matching in with our kitchen (tank sits on the left wall in the kitchen pic).

Base pieces are still just resting causing the gaps around the bottom.
spicyburrito
Lurking Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 07 Dec, 2018 10:39 am

looking nice and tidy so far. Keep up the attention to detail. :thumbsup:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby sparker » Tue 11 Dec, 2018 9:43 am

looks great!
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer