• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Col's 7x2.5

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Postby colg » Sat 22 Oct, 2016 6:24 pm

Thanks Mark.

It seemed like a good day to drink beer so I decided to be proactive at the same time :thumbsup:
Finally got the enthusiasm to finish off the tank stand. I wanted to keep it simple and sleek so that the stand didn't take attention away from the tank.
Material I selected was aluminum composite panel. Panels are held in place by an internal angle/slot arrangement a couple of inches up from the bottom, with magnetic strip at the top to keep it pulled in.
Went for one panel along the front and one on each end. Trimmed the edges with an ally extrusion to keep it neat. Worked out pretty well.

Col
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby Vilante » Sat 22 Oct, 2016 8:25 pm

Looks fantastic!!
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer
MASS Member

Postby Ben_Q » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 8:23 pm

Nice work Col.
Ben_Q
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017

Postby colg » Thu 01 Dec, 2016 12:10 pm

Not all is going well currently :(, but i guess that's reefing....

Dropped AlK slowly in an effort to reduce precipitation in wave makers. Seems as though this has done the trick. Not sure if it was related but ALK and Calc demand dropped to near zero shortly after while mag continued to be taken up at previous rate.

Lost a one large SPS colony that RTN'd over night a month or so ago, added some carbon in the sump to take out any nasties from the decaying coral tissue. Nothing else seemed unhappy at the time. I was seeing excellent growth rates and getting some nice colouration of other SPS.

I carried out some maintenance on the light fixture and when re hanging it i inadvertently reinstalled it 80mm lower. Unfortunately this was just before i went away for four days. When i returned there were about 6 colonies with burnt tips and several colonies that had shed tissue around the bases. There was no clear pattern to which corals were effected, some were in high positions, others were close to the sand bed. Checked all parameters and nothing was obviously out of whack compared to where it had been running. Took me a few days to realise the difference in light height before i lifted it back up. The affected SPS have browned out, with some showing complete die off of some branches. A pagoda had shed tissue on the upper most edge, this has now shed all tissue over the last day or two.
Interestingly there are still a lot of pieces that are not showing any symptoms of struggle. I am not convinced the change in light was the only factor but believe it probably was the catalyst.

Anyway, i will keep up with water changes and closely monitor parameters in the hope that colonies recover, or at worst, further colonies are not affected.

Col
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby colg » Fri 23 Dec, 2016 1:41 pm

The rtn seems to have abated after several water changes and stopping dosing. At this point in time I think the most likely cause was the alk and calc supps I was using. It was a new batch of bulk calcium chloride and sodium carbonate from a supplier I hadn't used before (just so happens that I switched to this a few weeks before problems appeared). Will go back to hyclor pool supps for now.
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby Onsan » Fri 23 Dec, 2016 3:46 pm

colg wrote:Not all is going well currently :(, but i guess that's reefing....

Dropped AlK slowly in an effort to reduce precipitation in wave makers. Seems as though this has done the trick. Not sure if it was related but ALK and Calc demand dropped to near zero shortly after while mag continued to be taken up at previous rate.
Col

Glad to see it solved the issue.
Yes, it is explicitly related, too high an alkalinity causes calcium carbonate precipitation/scaling, so you are losing both calcium and alkalinity (as carbonate alkalinity) when this occurs, this was what was forming on your pumps. You were feeding your own problem.
MASA President
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby colg » Thu 02 Feb, 2017 7:06 pm

Small update - no pics.
After being convinced by someone using the same supps that they weren't the cause I resumed dosing the bulk supps. Colour hadn't fully come back but I was getting new tip growth and things stopped dying.
After a few weeks tables turned and lost a lot more pieces and browning tips on others.
Now convinced it is the supp's, if only a bad batch. Kinda sucks when I have 25kg of each. Have to wait for ocean to clean up for some more water. Then go back to bunnings supps.
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby colg » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 7:45 pm

Reverted back to pool supp's and finally have some colored tips returning on my Dallas after a regime of large water changes. Softies, Clam and lps are still happy.
Ended up losing nearly all of the acro I had, Millie's and a few other bits and bobs. To top it off, also lost three anthias in two days as they decided that the floor was a good place to school.

Enough of the bad... things are looking up and hopefully the renewed health of the coral livestock continues.

Equipment wise, there have been a few changes to reduce maintenance tasks as well as improve stability. First up was an RO reservoir auto top. Second was introduction of a continuos water change regime. Thanks to Sam Parker on both accounts :bow:

ATO refill utilizes a few float valves, solenoid and a couple of relays. This allows the 50L RO reservoir to automatically refill when it's empty - saving on membrane life and a 'lot' of water when I forget to switch the RO off.

Litermeter sends water from my IBC to the sump and withdraws same amount to drain. Currently only set to 50L a week (7.1L/d) while I make sure it's calibrated and unroll I can refill the IBC. I'm going to increase the auto changes to around 10% weekly soon.

colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby Autonomy » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 2:11 am

I was definitely a fan of your 4x2x2 when it was up and running, so I'll definitely be following along on this one. :cheers:
"...the sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonders forever" Jacques Cousteau
Autonomy
Bicentenary Reefer
MASS Member

Postby colg » Wed 13 Sep, 2017 10:11 pm

Well it's been a while since updates. Finally got things back on track (fingers crossed)
Lost a few more SPS but seems to have stabilized. Ended up sypohoning out the sand bed, 90% complete.

Dosing pumps failed. while I thought I could diy something out of the parts, it didn't work and I bit the bullet and went LM3 for the lot. This means I now have two LM3's and 4 add on expansion pumps running now!
Good news is that I have stable parameters and it is looking good (sort of..)

Decided to revert to a full t5 lighting system and have set that up the other day. Time will tell if it makes a difference.
Will re stock some sticks over the coming months and see what happens.

colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby sparker » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 1:45 pm

Good to see a progress update Col, I hope the ATO automator and Litermeter are still working as planned?
Sam
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby colg » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 2:44 pm

sparker wrote: hope the ATO automator and Litermeter are still working as planned?

Certainly are Sam! has certainly reduced effort as well as wasted RO. Upped the auto NSW changes to 25L per day.

You should look at making the ATO automator as commercial products! :thumbsup:
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby sparker » Thu 14 Sep, 2017 4:55 pm

I did consider it, but anything electrical comes with all sorts of certification requirements... That and the fact the market is so small. Easier just to spread the word and get people making themselves like you did :)
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CanIHazReef » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:23 pm

Nice update Col!
CanIHazReef
Curious Reefer

Postby colg » Sat 30 Sep, 2017 10:55 am

sparker wrote:Easier just to spread the word and get people making themselves like you did :)

Does the same go for your photography?!? :)
Would love to see a thread with some photography pointers to get photos half as good as you produce :book:
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby fairymary58 » Sat 30 Sep, 2017 5:30 pm

sparker wrote:I did consider it, but anything electrical comes with all sorts of certification requirements... That and the fact the market is so small. Easier just to spread the word and get people making themselves like you did :)

DO you have a thread on how to do the Ato automator??
Im very interested
fairymary58
RTAW Reefer

Postby sparker » Sun 01 Oct, 2017 8:05 am

colg wrote:
sparker wrote:Easier just to spread the word and get people making themselves like you did :)

Does the same go for your photography?!? :)
Would love to see a thread with some photography pointers to get photos half as good as you produce :book:

haha I don't consider myself to be any photography expert, but it is something that I could pop together. Perhaps a hands on video would work best, I have had an aussie aquarium goods supplier ask me to do the same so I best pull my thumb out :poke:
fairymary58 wrote:
sparker wrote:I did consider it, but anything electrical comes with all sorts of certification requirements... That and the fact the market is so small. Easier just to spread the word and get people making themselves like you did :)

DO you have a thread on how to do the Ato automator??
Im very interested

I can PM you the electronic schematics if you are handy (or can take to a qualified sparky) or as you are only about 50min from me (Point cook yeah? I could pop by one day or you are welcome here to check it out in person). Essentially it switches the RODI on only when your reservoir is low and obviously switches it off once full (as opposed to keep switching on and off every time your ATO goes which in turn kills membranes quickly) Video on an early version of it is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz6N3ejdrOM
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby PranK » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 3:51 pm

Any updated shots? Looks great Col!
My 6' Journal

My 5x28x24 in-wall experience

My tank uses 4.3 tonnes of carbon every year (1275 KW/h per 115 days). I have offset its carbon emissions, you should consider doing the same. (This was my 4 footer too!)
PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby colg » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 5:41 pm

been a while since an update, thanks for the prod. Here are some quick phone pics when I got home this arv. Tanks is starting to bounce back after numerous issues. Hopefully I can continue the stability and it keeps heading in the right direction.

colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby PranK » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 5:53 pm

Looks fantastic, thanks for the update.

What were the issues? I'm trying to get mine to bounce back also. I might create a new journal for it.

I'm super keen to get people back on Masa. The more posts, the better!
My 6' Journal

My tank uses 4.3 tonnes of carbon every year (1275 KW/h per 115 days). I have offset its carbon emissions, you should consider doing the same. (This was my 4 footer too!)
PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby colg » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 6:04 pm

Most of the issues are above.
In brief;
- bulk calc or alk I got was tainted. Didn’t trust it was no good so dosed it a few months later with same result.
- sand bed was harboring a bad bacteria or something causing stn
- refractometer played up and laziness resulted in running super high salinity
- chiller failed in middle of summer (10 days to repair)
- aiptasia outbreak haha!. Cured with peppermint shrimp.
- huge bubble algae issue at present. No other algae present and nutrients very low.

It would be great to have more traffic on RTAW. No point searching for anything on FB.
If the image posting could be simplified I think it would be a big step in the right direction.

Col
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby colg » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 6:13 pm

colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby PranK » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 6:25 pm

Tank looks great!

I was just reading above. What Bunnings sups are you using? I'm using sups from Pete @ 100% Reef Safe. I couldnt see it on the other page.

Also, whats in your sump?

I'm still at work. Pumped to get home and take some pics to post.
My 6' Journal

PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby colg » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 7:40 pm

From bunnings I get the 4kg bag of hyclor calcium chloride and the 2.5kg of hyclor soda ash (ph increaser) both in the pool section. Also get mag salt 15kg and Epsom salts to mix up for my magnesium.

I’m sure 100%’s soups are food grade but I haven’t seen quality issues with the pool stuff.

In my sump I have around nd 10L of small siporax noodles and a little carbon reactor.
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby PranK » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 8:20 pm

Do you mix them the same way as the typical 2 part? Ie, the Randy's recipe?
My 6' Journal

PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby colg » Tue 04 Sep, 2018 8:35 pm

I think it is pretty close to Randy’s?
There are a heap of different variatuons but what I do is:
530g of calc in 4l of RO
400g soda ash in 4l of RO

I only have 5l dosing containers so I will be mixing more concentrated and dosing less to extend time between re mixing in the near future.

Mag is mixed a bit different only because I dose it continuously rather than intermittently.
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby Autonomy » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 12:47 pm

PranK wrote:Looks fantastic, thanks for the update.

I'm super keen to get people back on Masa. The more posts, the better!

:withyou: 100%!
"...the sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonders forever" Jacques Cousteau
Autonomy
Bicentenary Reefer
MASS Member

Postby Autonomy » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 12:56 pm

colg wrote:
I decided on using adjust afoot feet on each leg. Got some 60mm ones with m16 thread. Tapped some plate, cut to fit inside the RHS and welded in.

Col

:-x it, definitely a great idea. :clap:
Autonomy
Bicentenary Reefer
MASS Member

Postby sparker » Mon 10 Sep, 2018 2:57 pm

hope you are on top of that long list of bad luck Col and the tank is bouncing back well?
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby colg » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 1:13 pm

sparker wrote:hope you are on top of that long list of bad luck Col and the tank is bouncing back well?

I hope so too Sam :wall:

The latest was salinity issues which caused an on flow effect to alk levels. I seem to be on top of that and colours are starting to pop again (not that it can be seen in the above pics)
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Previous

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)