• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

Postby Synodontis » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 12:07 am

Introduction:
Hi!
I'm Ken & that's Jen, & we have a reefing addiction

System Objectives:
To build a self contained marine Eco system capable of supporting Moo (our Magpie Sweetlips) long term
Room to expand our growing Chalice collection along with SPS & other corals

System Type:
Chalice / SPS mixed reef

Display System:
Strike up Date:
Hopefully wet in August 2015

Display Tank:
12 x 4 x 2.5 - 15mm glass (3660 x 1220 x 760)

Display Lighting:
As yet undecided :-s

Stand:
75mm x 75mm x 5mm SHS, finished in dark blue Speedliner Topcoat 6

Hood:
Built in continuation of surrounding ceiling

Sump:
9 x 3 x 16" - 12mm glass (2700 x 1000 x 415)

Refugium:
None

Support systems:
System Water:
Natural salt water

Display Water circulation:
Maxspect Gyre 's

Return Pump:
2x Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon 3 Speedy 65w

Skimmer:
Royal Exclusiv Bubble King DeLuxe 500 internal

Evaporation Top Up:
AutoAqua Smart ATO

Controllers:
Undecided :-s

Chemical Support:
Calcium Addition:
Randy's

Alkalinity Addition:
Randy's

Other Chemical Maintenance:
Custom made Sulphur reactor
Custom made Hydro-carbonate / Dolomite reactor
Custom Phosphate reactor

Start here!:
Here we go again. Don't you hate it when you finally have your tank set up, running well, everything is happy, then you decide to upgrade.
This will be our last upgrade & if Moo out grows this then it's lightly floured, a bit of lemon juice then pan fried!
As we won't be doing this again, we are trying to do this right the first time. The 10ft has been a huge learning curve, what we have learnt from running that for 4 years, along with info from other reefers will be transferred into the new tank. We have been collecting bits & pieces for the last couple of months, some of it is here, some we are waiting for & some we know where to get when we need it. This build will be using equipment that we feel will not need replacing in a hurry, once I have installed any item, I do not want to be going back next year & buying a replacement. :furious:

The stand, bigger then what I thought it would be! In fact, it's bloody big. Turned up at work on a car trailer & I thought to meself, Hmm, that's big!
That was back on 27th Feb. Each 3ft bay has been engineered to comfortably hold 1.5 tonne. Getting it from work to the painters, back to work & then home was an interesting exercise lol. The tank maybe 12ft, but the cabinet is 14ft long, weight wise it is around the 500Kg mark.

Cabinet will be lined with acrylic & silicone sealed to keep any spills & splashes away from the MDF sheets. The floor will have 18mm MDF covered with 6mm white acrylic, back wall will have 16mm MDF & covered with white 4.5mm acrylic & the roof will have 9mm MDF covered with 4.5mm white acrylic. 9ft will be for sump, 3ft will house all dosing & reactor equipment, the last 2ft will be sealed off for all electrical tank equipment. All lining has been finished on the floor & back wall but I haven't uploaded any pics yet. I cant finish the roof until the cabinet is in it's final resting place as I need to lift from the top frame.

We will be using 3x Red Dragon 3 speedy 65w pumps in this build. 2 will be for the return, 1 will be used to supply the reactors & anything else that may need a pump. These turned up at work a few weeks ago :)

John Guest 1/2" tube & fitting's will be used on all reactors.

The sump will be pretty basic, inlet, through to frag section, forward onto skimmer section, then in a holding area, back to the DT. The holding are will be used to hold any corals we buy until water change time, as that's the only time I will be able to place things in the DT lol. ATO holding will be built in to the rear of the sump. Sump will be ordered this week hopefully.

So that's about it so far! A few more bits turning up next week, few more bits to order next week lol.
We are open for any ideas you may have, bits you think we might have missed, a better way to do something or any feed back you have to offer. :)

Thanks for reading...

Ken & Jen
Last edited by Synodontis on Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Re: Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

Postby Choppa » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 10:22 am

Wow this is going to be ........ HUGE!

Following along :thumbsup:
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby vpreef » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 10:51 am

Awesome build Ken, looking forward to seeing this progress :clap:
vpreef
Centurion Reefer

Postby uglyman » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 11:46 am

Choppa wrote:Wow this is going to be ........ HUGE!

I got to see the stand on the weekend and HUGE does not even come close to describing the size of this build :o .

I have to admit that Moo is getting to be a big girl and a bigger play area is probably a very good idea :roflmao: .

Awesome Ken & Jen :thumbsup:
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef

If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.

Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
uglyman
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator
MASOV Member Current

Postby pebbles » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 1:57 pm

Hmmm....I think your sump is too small. :devil:

Just kidding :laugh: Amazing potential for a tank this size!!!

:wavey:
angie
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby parrdog » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 3:03 pm

Astronomical!!!!!

What a dream build. Good on you guys for making it come true :).

Jamie
parrdog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Ben S » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 3:59 pm

When you said huge, I didn't think it was that big!!!

Can't wait to see this. Let me know if you need a hand with anything. :)

Ben
Ben S
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby uglyman » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 5:03 pm

Ken doesn't need a hand he needs a crane Ben :roflmao:
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef

If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.

Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
uglyman
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator
MASOV Member Current

Postby AMM9449 » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 6:47 pm

Amazing..!! Inspirational..!
Instagram: @adampuli #AdamsMarineAdventrue
Twitter: @adampuli
Web: http://adampuli.weebly.com
AMM9449
Nudge Nudge Wink Wink Know What I Mean

Postby blacjack » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 7:14 pm

That's an awesome size tank, I hope your floor can take the load. I'll be watching this too with a keen interest.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Cokey » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 7:17 pm

This is fantastic
Cokey
RTAW Reefer
MASOV Member Current

Postby aidanmary » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 7:38 pm

this is going to be awesome guys can't wait to see the progress, where is the tank going to be located? same spot as the 10ft? I'm sure you've already worked it out but have you considered the load on the slab? is it directly under a footing? that bad boy would be pushing close to 6ton full wouldn't it?
aidanmary
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Committee

Postby reefaddiction » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 11:27 pm

Looking great so far guys! I can't wait to see this come together :D
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Postby Synodontis » Mon 30 Mar, 2015 11:57 pm

I'm sticking with big lol, HUGE scares me :)

vpreef wrote:Awesome build Ken, looking forward to seeing this progress :clap:

lol, "seeing it progress"?? you'll prob helping on the move day John

uglyman wrote:

I got to see the stand on the weekend and HUGE does not even come close to describing the size of this build :o .

I have to admit that Moo is getting to be a big girl and a bigger play area is probably a very good idea :roflmao: .

Awesome Ken & Jen :thumbsup:

Thanks Shane, kinda put's the size into perspective when you see the stand in person huh lol.

pebbles wrote:Hmmm....I think your sump is too small. :devil:

Just kidding :laugh: Amazing potential for a tank this size!!!

:wavey:

Thanks pebbles, I thought our last sump was big lol

parrdog wrote:Astronomical!!!!!

What a dream build. Good on you guys for making it come true :).

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, it is a daunting build but nothing worthwhile comes easy they say.

Ben S wrote:When you said huge, I didn't think it was that big!!!

Can't wait to see this. Let me know if you need a hand with anything. :)

Ben

Thanks for the offer Ben, might be needing a hand or two.

AMM9449 wrote:Amazing..!! Inspirational..!

Thanks Adam, at least your close enough to keep an eye on things lol.

blacjack wrote:That's an awesome size tank, I hope your floor can take the load. I'll be watching this too with a keen interest.

Hmm, I hope so too!

Cokey wrote:This is fantastic

Thanks Mark :)

aidanmary wrote:this is going to be awesome guys can't wait to see the progress, where is the tank going to be located? same spot as the 10ft? I'm sure you've already worked it out but have you considered the load on the slab? is it directly under a footing? that bad boy would be pushing close to 6ton full wouldn't it?

Thanks guys, this will be sitting where the 10ft is located now. In a strange way we are looking forward to pulling it down. Just to see what little treasure's are hidden behind all the rock. Your right, I've been working on 6 ton as a total weight.

Rock, that has been the mission for the last week.
With the new tank there will be minimal rock from the 10ft being used. There are big, & I mean BIG crabs hiding in there lol. Drive us nuts sometimes moving stuff around & knocking bits over. There are also many other critters living in there that we do not want in the new tank.
Looking around at all the options for rock, different brands & types we could not find any rock that would easily lend itself to the kind of scape we are looking for. We where put onto Aquaroche ceramic rock. After researching & looking at pieces with the very clever system of interlocking large plates, this is the way we will be going. With this rock we will be able to create the scape I am picturing in my mind. Lots of shelves, central to rear placement with lots of room for Moo to swim in between the lot. We have ordered 150 odd kilo's to start with :)

That's about it for tonight
:cheers:
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby darylb » Tue 31 Mar, 2015 1:49 am

Following. Have you got pics of moo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
darylb
RTAW Reefer

Postby MitchD » Tue 31 Mar, 2015 10:51 am

Insane build, going to be a cracker.
Moo's gotta be the most spoiled fish in the southern hemisphere. :roflmao:
MitchD
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Synodontis » Tue 31 Mar, 2015 7:30 pm

darylb wrote:Following. Have you got pics of moo?

Hi Daryl,
We got Moo way back in about Juky / Aug 2011. An impulse buy gone wrong lol, no research from us & no questions asked from the LFS. It was just lucky we had a 10ft tank.
These would be some of the earliest pics of Moo. As you can see, the lens on my phone camera had not spent as much time in my pocket back then, I still have the same phone :roflmao:

This is Moo about 20 mins ago :tongue:
Give or take an inch, he is pushing 2ft long now, hence the new tank build. Many would have just moved him onto a new home or "lost" him in some accident but we took him on so up to us to make sure he lives happily ever after. If he keeps dropping mouthful's of sand over the corals tho.....

MitchD wrote:Insane build, going to be a cracker.
Moo's gotta be the most spoiled fish in the southern hemisphere. :roflmao:

Thanks Mitch lol, I been called crazy, never insane, same same lol.
He has a good life when food is involved, bugger only eats oysters & prawns enriched with garlic & other stuff lol. Now he just needs a bigger tank!
I did post a feeding video on FB, the wrong page, lmao, didn't get a good response from a few. It was FB, who really cares anyway?? I have left every FB group with anything to to do with aquariums :) best move I ever made.
Last edited by Synodontis on Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Matt1961 » Tue 31 Mar, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi ken looking good,
Where abouts did you get the aquaroche rock from?

Matt
Matt1961
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017
MASQ Member 2017-2018
MASQ Member 2016-2017

Postby darylb » Thu 02 Apr, 2015 3:46 am

Man that's an awesome fish I can see why you kept him

darylb
RTAW Reefer

Postby Jimmy656 » Thu 02 Apr, 2015 8:26 am

Tagging in for progress :pirate:
Jimmy656
RTAW Reefer

Postby jason angel » Thu 02 Apr, 2015 8:59 am

#following!
- JA
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Synodontis » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 9:38 pm

Hi All,

It's been pretty quiet on the build front.
Waiting for stuff to turn up is always a bugger, feels like I'm wasting time & not getting anything done lol. :wall:

So what have I got done the last couple of weeks.

Picked up the foam for the build. Think I have enough to cover everything. 50mm normal density will be used as insulation between the cabinet ceiling & tank, also across the rear wall. 10mm medium density will be used under the sump. The tank will have a 30mm ply base, 10mm normal density foam, then 20mm high density which the tank will finally sit on. Starting size on the sheets are 2400 x 1200 so cutting them down could get kinda messy lol.

All cut ready for the sump, this lot will be glued down before the sump goes in. Not all the way, just enough the hold it in place while moving the sump around.

Cut a 50mm piece for the top also. Once the ceiling is in & these blocks are in place there will be a 25mm air gap between ceiling & block.

About the only thing I got done today was the ceiling in the cabinet. This all needs to come out as I will need to tie straps around the top frame to move it inside the house. At the moment it is all held in place by clamps & timber supports across the back. Once I pulled out I will cover with acrylic so going back in will be the last time. This won't happen until the cabinet is in it's final resting place inside.

Having the ceiling installed has given me the chance to confirm some measurements I was hoping where right lol. :-s
With the room I have to work with heading in an upwards direction, foam, base of the sump, skimmer, possible neck cleaner (yes Nick, I'm looking at you :) ) room for skimmer cup removal, ceiling acrylic, there should be around 20-30mm left over. Cutting things close but trying to make the most of everything & everything must be inside the cabinet. The whole thing must be self contained.

So what are we waiting for....

Electrical - Couple of phone calls late Thursday afternoon resulted in knowing that stock is available ex-Melbourne & next day delivery. Saturday evening I sat down & worked out what bits we will need. Tomorrow morning I will be ordering the trunking, power points & all the little extra's to make a tidy job. Not relying on the over night delivery but confident everything should be here this week.

Rock - Toll tracking puts the rock in Melbourne, was really hoping to get it Friday but didn't happen. Expected delivery is Tuesday, Deer Park aquarium is closed on Tuesday's. Bugger worked all Easter so he deserve's a day off lol, so should have the Aquaroche rock on Wednesday night :crossfingers:

Plumbing - There is a wait on some of the plumbing as it's not on hand in Aust. Hopefully Mr. Aquabella is able to send what he has on hand next week so I can make a start on some of the plumbing. :crossfingers:

Sump - Was ordered last week, will be 5 -6 weeks away from delivery. Kinda expected this as there are a few panel's that need to be laser cut before assembly. I think once the sump gets here it will start to feel like I'm making progress.

Skimmer - Ordered about 3 weeks ago & hopefully being built now. :crossfingers: for a May delivery.

Lot's of :crossfingers: above & trying to pull all of this together is going to be close me thinks. The time schedule for this is not set in concrete as August, but hopefully it will come together on time.
That's about it for now. If everything turns up during the week I'll put up some more pics :)

P.S- Oh yeah! Happy Easter all :tongue:
Last edited by Synodontis on Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby millotoli » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 9:49 pm

Wow mate!
Your taking big tanks to another level!
When I started 8ft was crazy 6x2 was the big tank!
Can't wait to see where this takes the industry

I take my hat off to you!
And quality all the way!
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Synodontis » Mon 06 Apr, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanks Ollie,

I dunno about taking big tanks to a new level mate lol. I'm sure there are plenty of bigger tanks around the place, some of them are kept pretty quiet tho I imagine.
The industry will plod along on it's own track setting standards & developing smarter toys for us all to aspire to :laugh:
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby coral1 » Wed 08 Apr, 2015 9:59 am

really getting exciting now Ken :thumbsup:
cant wait to see the rock :clap:
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Synodontis » Thu 09 Apr, 2015 11:35 pm

Yep starting to get exciting Renae :)

Rock turned up today so had to pick it up, get it home, unpack & a quick play lol. I dropped a piece of ply on top of the cabinet in front of the clamps holding the ceiling up & unpacked straight onto that. Placed a box of shelve pieces into some of the ledge holder bits to see what the final effect will be. Only using half of the tank floor to unpack the rock onto so it's a bit cramped. Once I can get everything spread out & play around with the shelve pieces it should come together the way I have it pictured in my mind. I really don't think I would have achieved the same effect looking around for LR in many rock tanks around the traps.

So some pics! (something different huh)

At the shop tonight..
Home & unpacked..

I think that's about it for tonight.
Last edited by Synodontis on Fri 18 Aug, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby coral1 » Thu 09 Apr, 2015 11:59 pm

wow :-x :-x
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Bangalang » Fri 10 Apr, 2015 1:43 pm

Thats going to be some scape! Worth every penny that stuff
Bangalang
Veteran Reefer

Postby Ilona » Fri 10 Apr, 2015 5:10 pm

That's amazing stuff! So tempted to get some. Can't wait to see this come together for you guys, it's going to be awesome.
Ilona
Veteran Reefer

Postby pyroay » Sat 11 Apr, 2015 11:12 pm

Looks good. I had real trouble getting anyone to consider a tank any bigger than 10 x 4 so you've done well to get one that size.
10x4 Mixed Reef
10x4 Predator Tank - Back up and running.

Sustainable reefing with 100% of power consumption offset by Solar
pyroay
Bicentenary Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)