• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Blacjack's In wall 1800*900*600 tank.

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Blacjack's In wall 1800*900*600 tank.

Postby blacjack » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 6:10 pm

Introduction:

I’ve planned an upgrade and dedicated fish tank room for years. Originally my wife and I planned to build a house and have the tank room incorporated as part of this build, though we had some issues which resulted in the house never being built. So we bought a house (2009) which we have been renovating for a long time now, though one of the reasons for buying this house was the large rumpus room. As soon as I saw this room I knew what’s its final purpose would be. This is a project as the room is being renovated to accommodate this tank including a room for the running of the tank and a viewing room. The tank will be viewable from 3 sides as I've learnt from my current tank, not being able to see in from the sides is a real PITA.

To fund this project we had to borrow some money for the renovations and to pay for the tank and my new light I cashed in my long service leave as I changed industries and wanted to use the money for this project.

Once this tank is ready, I plan to move all the equipment and livestock from my current system across to this tank.

System Objectives:

I’m looking to grow out the corals I have and plan to really let this tank mature with only a few intended new additions still to purchase.

Display System:

System Type: This will be a mixed reef, though I don’t know if I’ll put in any softies. This will depend on the families input though I would prefer SPS and LPS only.

Strike up Date: Tank is here though the room is still under renovation, so a wet date hasn’t been set as yet. I have to find enough people to help lift the tank to progress this.

Display Tank: 1800mm L * 900mm w * 600mm d with an external overflow. Front and side are starphire glass with the back in normal glass. The tank walls are in 12mm with 1 centre brace and the bottom is 15mm thick. This tank was built by Abyss Aquariums and I'm very happy with the build quality and the service Abyss Aquariums

Display Lighting: 2x Cheap LED’s and 1 Orphek Atlantik V2.1 (I will be buying another V2.1 in the future)

Stand: D.I.Y - L.V.L beams and posts with structural 20mm C.D ply top. A base has been included which is just 70*35mm pine with 15mm C.D ply on top.

Hood: None. The bulkhead around the tank will hide the lighting which will only be visible from the wet room behind the tank.

Sump: An old standard 6ft tank to be fitted as a sump

Refugium: Incorporated into the sump.

Refugium Lighting: None, this will a cryptic zone set up.

Support systems:

System Water: Definitely ASW. The brands I use vary depending on availability and price.

Display Water circulation: Tank will have 2*Tunze 6205 and 1* 6105 + a mix of other pumps. Other wave makers are getting purchased soon.

Return Pump: Start with a Laguna 6000 and go from there if the need arises

Skimmer: ATI Medium with option to switch between Airstar and the Pro model. This still has a euro plug so I will have to decide whether to do something about this.

Evaporation Top Up: Auto top up - Tunze osmolator.

Controller: Neptune systems APEX controller APEX

Chemical Support:

Randy’s 2 part recipe run of a dosing pump.

Calcium Addition: Calcium Chloride

Alkalinity Addition: Bi-carb soda

Other Chemical Maintenance: Magnesium Chloride and Sulphate as required, Potassium Chloride and Strontium Chloride added to every drum of salt mixed up. Lanthanum chloride as required instead of G.F.O though I hope to not need this.

Current Water Chemistry: Dependant on salt batches
Nitrates: Not tested unless there is a problem
Phosphates: Not tested unless there is a problem
Alkalinity: 3.2 - 3.5Meq/ltr
Calcium: 410-420ppm,
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1.025-26 or 35ppt
Magnesium: 1350+ ppm (current salt batches are coming in at 1500ppm)

When we first bought the house it was in need of renovation. This house was in poor condition and we decided we couldn't really live in it so we set up in the rumpus room. This become our bedroom, lounge room, office;

And then later, our nursery.

This year we finally got the money to build a new shed so that I could move my tools and gear out of the house. The rumpus room has been my tool shed for a few years. So once the shed was built, tools moved out I could get under way

How I've got my RO/DI unit set up

My old 6ftr from my fresh water days. I did give this tank to my brother who didn't want it anymore so I grabbed it back to use as my sump.

Since this is a full room project, I'll include the other parts under renovation. We have a split system in this room which I had disconnected to allow my to put ply on the wall. This is for insulation and bracing as the house does move a bit.

Moving along, this tank will be in the wall and since it's viewable from 3 sides, I've built the wall so that the tank protrudes out of the wall.

Trimmers cut in between the floor joists to properly support the bulkhead as it will be loaded with some weight in the future.

ImageCeiling closed up

Image.
Last edited by blacjack on Tue 03 Mar, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Blacjack's next project

Postby blacjack » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 6:18 pm

Cont'

The walls now lined including the bulkhead (unfortunately a few pictures got deleted so I'll post what I have)

New sliding door in, floors tiled and walls gyprocked.

Where the split system will go back

View from inside the tank room after painting. Sump is on it's end at this stage.

Holes for power points. Rough in was done I just have to cut out the holes better for the power points.

View into the tank room

Starting the tank stand

blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 6:24 pm

Stand top under construction

Stand underway in the room,

The block under is only temporary, it's there just to support the frame until the posts go in.

My apprentice helping out. The timbers are there also only as temp's under the posts get installed.

Supervising

Top lined

Main supports going in

blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NewyReefer » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 6:25 pm

Off to a good start mate tagging along.
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 6:35 pm

The spirit level is set to show the approx. edge of where the tank will sit

I've laminated the 2 LVL's together using duarbond. This is a good glue but can be messy as it foams up when the timber is a little moist which needs to be done when using this glue

Batten screws were used to fix up the supports until the posts can be done

Starting to add supports to the back wall (front of the tank)

Rear supports finished

Hiding cables for the pumps, wave makers etc. is something that I'm really trying to achieve with this build. So as part of the stand, I've cantilevered the back end to help with this. I've lined the under side of the stand and painted it to avoid condensation problems and rot of the underside of the stand but this also allowed me to set up for the cables to be run in this section.

End view, the hole still needs to be painted. I've done the rest to allow for the installation of my sump. This point of the stand is non-structural hence why I've cut the hole into the timbers.

Sump in place, though the stand is not finished yet. We did a big clean up and I think 2 of my support posts accidently got thrown out :wall: so I'll just have to make some more.

blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 6:36 pm

NewyReefer wrote:Off to a good start mate tagging along.

Cheers Matt. It's funny there's been months worth of work and I can show it in minutes :roflmao: more to come.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 6:56 pm

Unfortunately I've lost all my pictures of the tank crated up :wall: :wall: :wall: as this showed it on the trailer from when I went to pick it up, these pic's do show where we had to position the trailer to get it out and where it sat for a couple of weeks. To say getting the crate out of the trailer was a mother [censored] is an understatement :roflmao:

The tank is metric 1800*900*600 and the overflow is 1800*250*250. 12mm Starphire walls with a 15mm base, all edges have been polished to take away the sharp edges. The back glass is black so that you don't see through the tank. Since it can be seen from 3 sides I was happy to go this way.

I specifically asked for the overflow comb as I'm finding that when I introduce new fish they end up in the overflow.

The overflow box is big, but I wanted that as I think it will be easier to keep clean

Holes drilled for plumbing, only shame is that they are at the wrong end :poke:

This one was for the return which I'll now use as my main overflow siphon

All in all the build quality, packaging and service from Abyss Aquariums :bow: :bow: :bow: The centre brace was included to reduce the wall thicknesses to 12mm. If I went with a full euro brace they recommended 15mm glass all round so I though a small brace won't matter.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 6:57 pm

I'll put up some more pictures a bit later as I've run out of time tonight. I have next week off work as I planned on doing more work on the tank room so I'll post up more pictures of the progress as it happens. I doubt I'll be able to finish all of the work in a week, though I do plan on putting a big hole in it next week.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Alf D » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 7:48 pm

Looks to be a great project Chris, should be a beauty.
Alf D
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Amphibian » Sat 05 Jul, 2014 9:10 pm

Great build , end product will be amazing :clap:
well done :thumbsup:
Dreambox 5x3x2 viewtopic.php?f=145&t=263224
Mixed Reef 8 x 2.6 x 2 Revamp in progress viewtopic.php?f=145&t=245064
Frag Tank 4 x 3 x 2 viewtopic.php?f=148&t=257402
Rebirth of a goodie900 x 900x450
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=253999
Amphibian
RTAW Veteran Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby blacjack » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 8:32 pm

Cheers guys I'm hoping so as I will be putting a lot more effort into getting this one right. The slowest part will be getting the tank up and running as the kitty is starting to really dry up.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Sun 06 Jul, 2014 9:04 pm

So after getting frustrated with seeing the tank sitting on my back veranda I decided to pull the crate apart to see if I could move the tank on my own. A lot of friends and family are conveniently not available when it comes to getting some help so I took a couple of days to plan how to get the tank inside. :think: I knew that if I could get the tank to slide on the Styrofoam packing then I would be able to get it inside. Unlike getting it of the trailer which was hard, I knew that by creating a ramp to match the floor level inside and one that would protect the door sill I could get it in.

With the crate pulled off and a good heave I found that I could manoeuvre the tank so I was off to a good start. Out come the sliding door and fixed pane as this tank is too wide to fit through the single door and we were under way.

My wife is on leave at the same time so I got here to give me a hand with a few things. I had made up a dolly to manoeuvre the sump around while I was working on the room and since the sump is in place I knew that I could modify this dolly to take the tank. I put a 20mm ply plate onto of the MDF I had on it and pushed it in close to the door. When the tank was pushed up the ramp, phew which wasn't easy, I got my wife to hold the dolly while I pushed the tank onto the dolly. With a bit of mucking around, we got the tank centred on the dolly and was able to push it into the room. Things actually went a bit easier than anticipated so I was really happy about it, but as you can appreciated with only 2 of us getting the tank inside there's no pictures of us getting it in.

But here's the pictures when it's in. View into the house,

From inside,

Since there is still a lot of work to do, we took some of the packing and drop sheets that I have laying around to cover and keep the tank clean

Next stage of works,

Move the IBC out of the road. This is the 1000ltr version which I plan to fill with fresh water so I have plenty of storage. This is the frame of the cupboard that will house the IBC.

And here it is in place. I still have to paint the inside of this cupboard and there's a few little things to finish off, but you'll get the idea

Currently I use a 200ltr drum for water storage which will be converted to a salt water mixing drum so I'll have 2*200ltr drums for mixing salt. Originally I was planning on using 2 IBC's but I thought about this and the impracticality of trying to clean out such a container. These tanks will be set up in front of the IBC so that the water is nice and close and the 3 holes on the left that can be seen in the above photo is the location of the power points that I'll put in later. I'm still thinking about how I'll plumb the IBC as I've got a few ideas, though the 200ltr drums will be independent as I want to be able to remove them for cleaning whilst still having salt water in the other. This way I always will have water made up.

The other reason for getting the IBC out of the way was to allow for more works.

The framing is to allow for the construction of my bulkheads. Neither picture shows it but there is a phone line in the area which I plan to extend with some Cat5 cable (if my electrician thinks this is the best way) and run it in the bulkhead to where I will be setting up my Apex. I'll also run some pluming in the bulkhead but this will only be to feed RO/DI water to the IBC.

Under construction is the bulkhead for the main tank as well. These bulkheads will be out of MDF where the rest will be CD ply as I have a couple of sheets left over and should look OK painted up. Here my daughter and I are framing up this bulkhead, I hold the impact driver while she drives in the screws. This slows things down, but I like having her help me as I don't feel as though I'm neglecting her and once it's done she'll have something to look back on and be proud of.

I will be running power in these bulkheads to allow running the light cables neatly. I still have to think about how the ballasts are going to be mounted, but I'm thinking of the metal style basket shelves Bunning's sell though there's no rush on this.

More to come :)
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby NVRENUF » Tue 08 Jul, 2014 11:31 pm

How cool getting to start with a fresh canvas and make the room how you want it.. nice job

could be the photo but the sump looks like it lacks space.. Looks like you might have trouble getting big equipment in and out of it
or is it the angle of the photo ?
8x2x2 Mixed Reef Build viewtopic.php?f=145&t=255458
5x2x2.5 Mixed Reef, SHUTDOWN viewtopic.php?f=148&t=246851
NVRENUF
Veteran Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby kodez » Wed 09 Jul, 2014 12:10 am

Looking good so far, your daughters workbelt is awesome lol!
kodez
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby blacjack » Wed 09 Jul, 2014 7:50 pm

NVRENUF wrote:How cool getting to start with a fresh canvas and make the room how you want it.. nice job

could be the photo but the sump looks like it lacks space.. Looks like you might have trouble getting big equipment in and out of it
or is it the angle of the photo ?

Yes it is great and it was pure luck to find a house with this potential.

The height is limited though I plan to set up a small sump just for the skimmer which will then overflow to the sump. I haven't decided fully on putting in filter socks as yet before or after the skimmer though I will work this out when I get up to it. The sump is going to be broken up to have a cryptic zone and the return section which I want to make a reasonable size in the event I want to add any other sections such as a frag rack for example. I want to keep the sump as simple as possible as with everything with this tank.

Since I've got room in front of the sump I can run my media reactor out of the tank and will probably do the same for any other equipment.

kodez wrote:Looking good so far, your daughters workbelt is awesome lol!

Cheers mate, much appreciated. She loves her tool belt :roflmao: always got to have it on when helping out. She loves hitting nails into the walls so I have to distract her with other jobs but if I give her some stuff to put in the bag she's over the moon.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Thu 10 Jul, 2014 9:23 pm

I've pushed on and got a bit more done. I've completed as much of the fix-out that I can as I've got some tiles to put down before I can finish 1 bit of skirting and I need to water proof in the door jamb to finish the wet side. I want to finish the painting of the main elements in this room before water proofing or I'll have to wait until I do the tiling as I prefer to stay off the floor until it's completed so as to not do any damage.

On to the pictures, here is the bulkheads made up ready for installation they are just 12mm CD ply with a fillet to strengthen the join. At the bottom of the picture you can see stack stone pieces along the floor. These are here as part of my set out to see how they will work. When I first started this build I wasn't sure what I wanted to do on the wall and researched for weeks my options though it was my wife who suggested this and I liked it so that's what I'm going with. By pure luck the set out works, though I have added 1 sheet thickness to each end (which can be pulled off if needed) to see if I needed to fill out the ends.

Going up, these pictures also show the bulkhead that I have built out of MDF. I did stuff this up as I wanted to go the thickness of the return bulkheads but I didn't have any materials to change it so I've had to change my planning a little to overcome this problem which I'm happy with. The holes that are in this bulkhead are for power points that will be where I plug my lights in. This is to hide the cabling as best as I can so hopefully I can make this look really neat.

I have to fit and pull some of the bulkheads down to allow me to run my services, but for now they are up and out of the road except for this little piece as it's damn hard to get it back down.

This section is finished and can stay as there are no services to run in this one.

A close up of how I am finishing the external corners off. I have deliberately stepped the bulk head up as I wanted to create the illusion of there being no bulk head visible from the viewing side

I ripped some timbers down to finish off the box around the IBC container as well. The bottom in finished flush though the sides and top have a lip of 5mm into the opening so it neatens the hole up. I've also put some edging on the side of this cupboard so that the ends of the ply can't be seen. All edges have a small pencil round on them to take of the sharp edges.

Now I have to pull some of the bulkheads to run in the plumbing for the RO/DI unit and some CAT5 cable which is to be joined to the original phone lines. I've been researching WI-FI for the Apex controller and it's not recommended though can be done. Because of this I'll still run the cable but will set up wireless as well. I've also got to put some trim in around the top of the tank area to finish it off, cut in the door hardware on the door, finish the support posts and start working on the mounting board for all the electrical items to be installed. :crossfingers: I get this done by Sunday so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully it's a fine day tomorrow so I feel motivated :roflmao:
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Morgan_1985 » Fri 11 Jul, 2014 10:13 am

Tagging Along!! Awesome Work
Morgan_1985
Centurion Reefer

Postby blacjack » Fri 11 Jul, 2014 7:34 pm

Cheers mate, much appreciated. It's been a fun project so far so hopefully it keeps going smoothly.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby xixau » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 1:38 am

nice set up Chris :thumbsup:
xixau
Veteran Reefer

Postby axela » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 12:02 pm

Looking great!
Starfire Aquatics - Visit our Facebook page
axela
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business

Postby blacjack » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 11:51 pm

xixau wrote:nice set up Chris :thumbsup:

axela wrote:Looking great!

Cheers guys much appreciated.

I didn't get through the work that I was hoping to today, I got lazy on Saturday and a family visit today stuffed up what I was planning. I did get a start on running the plumbing for my RO/DI water and started on the CAT5 cable which is enough to start closing up the bulk heads. I need to speak to my sparky about terminating the cable as I have no experience doing this and I can hopefully get him to come and finish off the electrical for me as well.

I've started having a think about how I'm going to set up my electrical board, but I'm still doing a lot of research on other peoples set ups to see how they have done it and make sure mine works :pirate: Back to work tomorrow so things will slow down a little but I'll keep pushing on as much as I can as it's going to be great not carting buckets of water to the other end of the house to where my current tank is. More to come and I hope to have some more pictures tomorrow.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Amphibian » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 12:18 am

just thought you may want to check out my control board for ideas. link is below
hope it helps out some what. :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=245064&start=50#p1154269
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=245064#p1148897
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=245064&start=100#p1156774
Dreambox 5x3x2 viewtopic.php?f=145&t=263224
Mixed Reef 8 x 2.6 x 2 Revamp in progress viewtopic.php?f=145&t=245064
Frag Tank 4 x 3 x 2 viewtopic.php?f=148&t=257402
Rebirth of a goodie900 x 900x450
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=253999
Amphibian
RTAW Veteran Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby blacjack » Mon 14 Jul, 2014 8:46 pm

Wow, that is some very neat work and exactly what I'm trying to achieve. Thanks heaps for the links :clap:
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 9:47 pm

Better late than never, I've got the plumbing finished for my RO/DI unit and the glue's gone off. I was also able to borrow the tool required to finish of the CAT5 cable allowing me to crimp on the plug. To test that I hadn't stuffed up, I took my router down stairs and connected it to the line and took the tablet that come with my lights to see if I had a Wi-Fi connection. I knew that I had the other end right as the line was arching when I accidently touched the stripped cables together. I learnt later that I didn't need to strip the cable so I cut the ends off as I had plenty and started again.

Here's the tablet showing that I had my connection right,

The plumbing was much more simple. I was able to get the fall in the plumbing quite easy as this is only 20mm pipe and started at the end where the IBC is so that I could set my minimum height. I was then able to pin it in place and flex the pipe to get the height I needed. I glued on an end cap after drilling the hole in it to accommodate the feed hose from the RO/DI unit which I also used to set how far to push the plug on as I obviously didn't want to block the hole.

Here's the hose in the pipe where the water feeds in

I still have a bit of work to do to hide the vertical pipe, but I will just build a duct around the pipe. I'm also thinking of adding some cupboards on top of the unit for extra storage so the duct won't stand out.

One thing that I did make sure of was to get a union in so that in the event that I need to pull the tank out, I can break apart the plumbing to make it easier to get the tank out. This is a definite as I still have to paint the inside of this unit.

Instead of drilling a hole in the container, I though I would just go through the lid. This made it easy to drill the hole and keep any possible rubbish from getting into the tank and ending up clogging up any pumps in the future. The hole is just big enough to allow the plumbing to slide in without much restriction yet not big enough to let dust etc. in the tank. I have the plumbing propped down a little as I didn't realise that I had cut the dropper a little too short. Another 20mm longer would have been good, but....

I broke the plumbing apart at the union to see how things worked and after holding my breath for a couple of minutes wondering if the water would even come out,

I started to wonder did the joint fall apart within the bulk head and was waiting to see water come out of the bulkhead :roflmao: though I wouldn't have found it funny if it did happen. All in all I'm happy with how this worked out.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby forsaken » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 11:13 pm

Great work mate, coming along nicely, would love to be doing the build you are, just need to find a bigger house =)
forsaken
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby blacjack » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 8:29 pm

Cheers mate. It's been a long time in the waiting, but I think it's worth it. We were lucky when we bought this house in one sense as it meet our needs, but it would have been cheaper to build a new house :wall: Can't make banks lend you money for some dumb reason :nut:

I still like your idea of how your building your tank into the stair case wall, something very different yet in a very practical spot for viewing.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby forsaken » Fri 18 Jul, 2014 12:52 am

Yours will look fantastic when done.... in my case it was either the staircase or not at all... well there was one wall but somehow moving the four house foundations directly behind it seems to complicate things :)
forsaken
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby blacjack » Fri 18 Jul, 2014 9:12 pm

Yeah I wouldn't like to go to that sort of trouble and expense. I've had to prop a floor once but that's nothing in comparison.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby RedLineR » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 10:19 pm

Can't believe I overlook this build. it's gonna be a stunner. I'll be following this.
RedLineR
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 8:25 pm

Cheers Edi, glad to have you tagging along :bow:

Hoping to get going again with this. I've been getting over the flu and I'm completing my diploma in building, so I haven't done much of late though I'm planning on trying to push into some preparation works so I can get some painting done as the weather improves. Once the painting is done, I'll look to lift the tank into place :)

My sparkies been in and installed some power points so at least something has been happening.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)