• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room - W

Postby reefaddiction » Mon 06 Jun, 2016 2:59 pm

miralami wrote:You did everything perfect so far, don't compromise.
QT and treat your fish and never look back.

Happy Reefing Joe :)

Thanks Omid. Will see how I go :)
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Postby swazzle » Tue 07 Jun, 2016 9:42 pm

That's a decent sized qt! What are your plans for it now? Reset it up in a different location or downsize or something completely different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swazzle
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby reefaddiction » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 2:14 pm

swazzle wrote:That's a decent sized qt! What are your plans for it now? Reset it up in a different location or downsize or something completely different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've moved it to a different location (garage storage room) but it's too cold in there to maintain at the right temp without using the heater 24/7.

For now I have decided to go down a different path and not QT... Hope I've made the right decision and I know of the risks.

For the area the QT was in, I have other plans. Not confirmed yet but potentially another two tanks plumbed into the main display. :devil:
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Postby reefaddiction » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 9:11 pm

Well hasn't it been an interesting few months... Unfortunately, not much of it has been positive tank wise.

The bad.

I've had my return pump fail twice on me. First time, it was for few hours but I did loose a few fish. Second time, the fish room circuit tripped and power was cut to the fish tank for 10hrs! Unbelievably, everything survived. It didn't look like anything was going to make it buck miraculously no losses. Many thanks to the reefing gods :bow:

That was the worst of it but to name a few other hickups; Fish room was suffering from mould build up with all the moisture, gyre failed, dc adapter for automatic ro reservoir refill failed, skimmer overflowed for no reason and dumped a half full cup worth of skim mate back into the tank and the list goes on and on...

So with all that happening I decided to set-up the room in a way that is more reliable with plenty of fail safes and monitoring. This will include utilising the controller to it's full potential by using float switches and warnings via email as well as adding a power back up source in case of a full outage.

The good/progress since my last update.

Tank itself is doing well with a little bit of an algae issue due to the imbalance of PO4 and NO3.

Installed an in-line fan into the ceiling with a humidity controller. This has really improved the issue with condensation. Currently set to kick in at 60% relative humidity.

Installed a float switch on the skimmer cup with provision for more circuits when I finally add a neck cleaner. The connector is water proof and super handy when I need to clean the skimmer cup and lid.

And last but not least... my most exciting addition. Frag tank plumbed into the system :)

Last edited by reefaddiction on Fri 04 Aug, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Postby Vilante » Sun 21 Aug, 2016 9:28 pm

Woohoo!! :o
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer
MASS Member

Postby sparker » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 10:03 am

Great update, thanks for sharing. So much info in the one post I will have to respond in point form.

1. First of all, let me say how much I love that scape. Will look amazing once grown in a bit. Also, where did you get that candy cane from, it is gorgeous.

2. I remember chatting with you about the return pump failing but didn't know you had a power outage as well. That sucks man, sorry to hear. You've heard about the phone power outage alarm setups yeah? They are super cheap and easy. Basically just an old (or cheap new) android phone. A $4 app and a aldi pre paid sim car (as they are cheap and have 365 credit) and you are done. Plug into the power at the tank and it will send you a text message and sound an alarm anytime the power goes out. Excellent peace of mind when you are at work and the power goes off or storms are rolling in. I'd still go with a battery backup, but it is handy to know when your tank power has gone off and back on again regardless.

3. Mate that sucks about the DC power supply on the RO auto top off reservoir filler. Hopefully you weren't without RO for too long?

4. Super keen to hear how the inline fan goes. It is something I am keen to setup and I think I will as soon as my back is up to getting up in the ceiling again. Will have to hit you up for the details when that time comes so I know I'm buying a quality unit.

5. Good move with the float in the skimmer lid. Even better move with the deutsch connector with extra wires for a auto neck cleaner. Smooth work :)

6. Love the frag tank, like we were saying the other day - you will love being able to "dump" new purchases in there and leave the worry about finding a place to mount in the display another day. Best thing ever.
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby reefaddiction » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 12:03 pm

sparker wrote:Great update, thanks for sharing. So much info in the one post I will have to respond in point form.

1. First of all, let me say how much I love that scape. Will look amazing once grown in a bit. Also, where did you get that candy cane from, it is gorgeous.

2. I remember chatting with you about the return pump failing but didn't know you had a power outage as well. That sucks man, sorry to hear. You've heard about the phone power outage alarm setups yeah? They are super cheap and easy. Basically just an old (or cheap new) android phone. A $4 app and a aldi pre paid sim car (as they are cheap and have 365 credit) and you are done. Plug into the power at the tank and it will send you a text message and sound an alarm anytime the power goes out. Excellent peace of mind when you are at work and the power goes off or storms are rolling in. I'd still go with a battery backup, but it is handy to know when your tank power has gone off and back on again regardless.

3. Mate that sucks about the DC power supply on the RO auto top off reservoir filler. Hopefully you weren't without RO for too long?

4. Super keen to hear how the inline fan goes. It is something I am keen to setup and I think I will as soon as my back is up to getting up in the ceiling again. Will have to hit you up for the details when that time comes so I know I'm buying a quality unit.

5. Good move with the float in the skimmer lid. Even better move with the deutsch connector with extra wires for a auto neck cleaner. Smooth work :)

6. Love the frag tank, like we were saying the other day - you will love being able to "dump" new purchases in there and leave the worry about finding a place to mount in the display another day. Best thing ever.

G'day!

1. Thanks man. I really hated doing it to be honest and ripped it down twice before I got the results I wanted. Have to really give a shout out to a few of the boys on here that really helped guide me to get it here.

2. Yea the second time the pump failed it tripped the circuit to the whole room. Awesome that's a great option. ATM I'm thinking of buying a UPS for the router that connects to the apex and one for the apex. That way I will get the same service as that phone. I will work out which of the two will be better suited. Appreciate the advice though.

3. Joys of cheap ebay power supplies. Nope, luckily I caught it in time. I will set up a float switch in there connected to the apex to warn me if the level is lower then when the relay switches on the ro/di.

4. So far so good. Was a little noisy at first vibrating against the studs in the roof but I've since put some high density foam under it and it's silent now on the low setting which is more than enough volume for that room :) Happy to help just let me know

5. Cheers :) Beauty of working for an wiring company haha

6. Can't wait! Actually had a thought today. I plumbed the return pump in the same section as the overflow from the frag tank. Probably should move the return pump further down to the return section of that frag tank. I'm also chasing a light for the tank... Not sure whether to go for an el cheapo eBay light or a proper fixture like a Radion.
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Postby sparker » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 2:57 pm

AI Prime would be sweet I reckon
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby reefaddiction » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 3:11 pm

sparker wrote:AI Prime would be sweet I reckon

Yea if I wanted to go down the branded path was thinking ecotech radions... haven't really looked into the AI Primes
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 3:13 pm

sparker wrote:2. I remember chatting with you about the return pump failing but didn't know you had a power outage as well. That sucks man, sorry to hear. You've heard about the phone power outage alarm setups yeah? They are super cheap and easy. Basically just an old (or cheap new) android phone. A $4 app and a aldi pre paid sim car (as they are cheap and have 365 credit) and you are done. Plug into the power at the tank and it will send you a text message and sound an alarm anytime the power goes out. Excellent peace of mind when you are at work and the power goes off or storms are rolling in. I'd still go with a battery backup, but it is handy to know when your tank power has gone off and back on again regardless.

Sam - I'll try and find an old Android phone floating around here at work and chat to you more about this in September.

Sorry ReefAddiction to steal the thread - I guess many of us share the same pains...
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby reefaddiction » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 3:15 pm

Macca_75 wrote:
sparker wrote:2. I remember chatting with you about the return pump failing but didn't know you had a power outage as well. That sucks man, sorry to hear. You've heard about the phone power outage alarm setups yeah? They are super cheap and easy. Basically just an old (or cheap new) android phone. A $4 app and a aldi pre paid sim car (as they are cheap and have 365 credit) and you are done. Plug into the power at the tank and it will send you a text message and sound an alarm anytime the power goes out. Excellent peace of mind when you are at work and the power goes off or storms are rolling in. I'd still go with a battery backup, but it is handy to know when your tank power has gone off and back on again regardless.

Sam - I'll try and find an old Android phone floating around here at work and chat to you more about this in September.

Sorry ReefAddiction to steal the thread - I guess many of us share the same pains...

No need for an apology. If my mistakes help others improve their experience then the time spent posting on this forum is well worth it :cheers:
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Postby sparker » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 9:26 am

Macca_75 wrote:

Happy to go through it with you at the meet in September for sure, but there is also a thread on thereefuge:
http://[censored]/threads/35-or-les ... fier.8833/

:cheers:
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sparker » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 9:28 am

lol I would share the link, but for some paranoid reason masa like to censor links to the reefuge.......

Anyway, if you google this you should find the page:
"$35 (or Less) Power Outage Notifier"
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 10:02 am

sparker wrote:lol I would share the link, but for some paranoid reason masa like to censor links to the reefuge.......

Thanks Buddy. I've also noticed the censoring when trying to link to valid articles (to help other reefers here they aren't a member over there). Chat on the LFS crawl.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby wayne2.0 » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 7:25 pm

sparker wrote:lol I would share the link, but for some paranoid reason masa like to censor links to the reefuge.......

It's a throw back to the "older management" I am sure it will be fixed soon enought it's time big egos stopped getting in the hobbies way.

Back to the topic, it's a great tank thread :)
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
MASQ Committee
MASQ Member 2017-2018

Postby roboreefer » Fri 07 Oct, 2016 10:17 am

Love the tank. Have you found that adding the extraction fan has changed your evaporation rates?
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ Pratchett
roboreefer
Centurion Reefer
MASS Member

Postby reefaddiction » Fri 07 Oct, 2016 1:39 pm

roboreefer wrote:Love the tank. Have you found that adding the extraction fan has changed your evaporation rates?

Thank you.

Yes a little but the benefits far out way the increase in evap.

I think summer will be a lot worse though.
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Postby sparker » Fri 07 Oct, 2016 9:16 pm

I often point people to the direction of your vac setup, it is the bees knees in my opinion. Will be shamelessly copying it once I'm up to getting back in the roof again :D
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby reefaddiction » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 2:39 pm

sparker wrote:I often point people to the direction of your vac setup, it is the bees knees in my opinion. Will be shamelessly copying it once I'm up to getting back in the roof again :D

I really think it's a winner man. Had no issues since set up so would highly recommend installing one when you're able too.
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Postby fairymary58 » Thu 19 Jan, 2017 9:31 pm

wow, what an awesome tank.
Where in melbourne are you? I would love to come check it out in person and pick your brain.
Im currently about to build and put a tank in, not an entire room like you but would love a 9 to 10footer on the wall but dant know how to go from a 4fter to a big one. My plumbing was always done with hose, never pipes so dont even know where to start.
fairymary58
RTAW Reefer

Postby reefaddiction » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 6:10 pm

fairymary58 wrote:wow, what an awesome tank.
Where in melbourne are you? I would love to come check it out in person and pick your brain.
Im currently about to build and put a tank in, not an entire room like you but would love a 9 to 10footer on the wall but dant know how to go from a 4fter to a big one. My plumbing was always done with hose, never pipes so dont even know where to start.

Sorry I thought I replied to this! Yea sure anytime :) I'm in Mickleham.
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Postby reefaddiction » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 2:44 pm

It's been a while! Can't believe 12 months has gone by since my last photo update.

The good news is (knock on wood) I've gotten past the what felt like weekly equipment failure. The bad news, well it hasn't been a fun 12 months fish tank wise. I had massive issues with imbalances in the tank which drove me to almost shutting the whole thing down. There was a good 2-3 months worth of weekly if not bi-weekly hand siphoning cyano from the tank to stop it from consuming everything that was living in it.

I have to admit that without the support and constant encouragement to keep going from fellow reefers on this forum I wouldn't have stuck it out and managed to get the tank to turn around to something more enjoyable than what was a daily chore.

Even though I am reluctant to, I want to share how bad the tank actually got and what it looks like now. I hope that gives new and current reefers the belief that no matter how [censored] it gets, if you really enjoy the hobby it's worth riding it out till it improves. Keep at it. :pirate:

So without further ado, here's some photos of what the tank went through the last 12 months:

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Thankfully, the tank is on the mends and now looks a little more presentable. Photos and video below. I'm still battling some hair algae but slowly getting on top of it :clap:
Video: https://youtu.be/iTN6ZmQaIz8

reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Postby Vilante » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 2:54 pm

Tank looks amazing, well done for not giving up. Bet you're glad looking at it now.

How did you end up getting on top of it? I've just noticed I'm getting a couple of patches of it myself.
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer
MASS Member

Postby reefaddiction » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 3:27 pm

Vilante wrote:Tank looks amazing, well done for not giving up. Bet you're glad looking at it now.

How did you end up getting on top of it? I've just noticed I'm getting a couple of patches of it myself.

Thank you :) It's still got a long way to go but I'm happy with the progress.

I tried many things but did my best to stay away from chemical based solutions. The things I changed last before it disappeared were:

- Changed from home made to ready made frozen food
- Added a piece of live rock to the sump (tank started with base)
- 2000L worth of NSW changes over 1-2 months
- Turkey blasted the cyano off the rock
- Siphoned detritus from sump and sand bed before every change

Things I tried that didn't seem to help:

- Reduced feeding to twice a day
- Increased automatic ASW changes
- Tried DR tim's Cyano treatement <-- only 'chemical' treatment I used and found it to be a waste of money
- Large ASW changes
- Change LED spectrum (turned down the reds)
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Postby Vilante » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 3:32 pm

reefaddiction wrote:Thank you :) It's still got a long way to go but I'm happy with the progress.

Thank you :) I had it for a while quite some time ago and only got rid of it with big water changes, so might have to go down that road again. I've done nearly everything else you listed to get Nitrates down :)
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer
MASS Member

Postby reefaddiction » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 3:47 pm

Vilante wrote:
reefaddiction wrote:Thank you :) It's still got a long way to go but I'm happy with the progress.

Thank you :) I had it for a while quite some time ago and only got rid of it with big water changes, so might have to go down that road again. I've done nearly everything else you listed to get Nitrates down :)

For what it's worth, my nitrates were reading zero and phosphates 0.04. Tested on multiple kits and through triton US. I found it sorted it self out as I got the balance of nitrate and phosphate in check. The challenge was raising nitrate without feeding the cyano :wall:
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Postby Vilante » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 9:44 am

reefaddiction wrote:
Vilante wrote:

For what it's worth, my nitrates were reading zero and phosphates 0.04. Tested on multiple kits and through triton US. I found it sorted it self out as I got the balance of nitrate and phosphate in check. The challenge was raising nitrate without feeding the cyano :wall:

Yeah right!! It actually seems to have appeared since I've got my nitrates back down near zero. They don't really need to be that low (no sps) so maybe I should ease up. While nitrates were near 10 there was never a sign of any algae. Phosphates have always been under 0.03.
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer
MASS Member

Postby reefaddiction » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:16 am

Yep it's definitely about the balance then. Bring them back up and it should sort it out :)
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

Postby Vilante » Fri 11 Aug, 2017 10:50 am

reefaddiction wrote:Yep it's definitely about the balance then. Bring them back up and it should sort it out :)

Legend, thanks so much :thumbsup:
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer
MASS Member

Postby reefaddiction » Fri 27 Oct, 2017 8:25 am

We will name this post... the fun continues!

So as some of you might already know, we went away for 5 weeks. Thankfully I have met such awesome reefers that I now consider good mates through this forum and MASOV. One who was kind enough to visit my house twice a week and look after the tank while I was away. This made our holiday that much more enjoyable and relaxing. You know who you are :cheers:

First 4 weeks went smoothly, tank was doing well few minor adjustments to the calcium reactor for increase uptake and we were good to go. Or were we?

Then came Friday the 13th.. now I'm not a believer in bad luck but it sure as hell seemed that way. My Neptune Apex controller decided to freeze and call it quits after 2 years in service. For those who have an apex I want to share exactly what happened so that if it happens to you, you can react a lot faster than I did.

Here's what happened:

Friday 13th - I get a heartbeat notification from Neptune Fusion, which is a cloud based software. This basically told me that the apex was not connected to the cloud (internet) based server. It's happened before and usually means our internet is down or there's a disconnect somewhere between the router and the apex. I didn't think much of it, checked the camera in the fish room and saw what seemed like everything was running and the screen on the apex was still showing the parameters (or so I thought).

Saturday - Still no connection. So I asked the house sitter to check on the controller. From what she can see the tank is still running and the controller screen is lit up and showing the parameters. I thought we'd try and reset the controller to see if it connects again but the controller touch pad is unresponsive/frozen. We tried to hard reset it a few times but it was stuck in loop trying to connect to the other modules. We also tried to re-flash the firmware but again no luck. I had to call for back-up. Thankfully the return pump, DT lights and Gyre were still running.

Sunday - Back-up arrives. Spent 2 hours on the phone trying to guide my neighbour how to re-wire the heaters, ato, awc, vortechs and the list goes on...

In summary, when the controller failed everything went back to 'fallback mode'. So for example the return pump was set to 'Fallback On'. It stayed on. The heaters were set to 'Fallback Off' for obvious reasons. They went off.

This is what was still working (basically anything that the controller should never switch off unless I tell it too):
- Return
- Frag tank pump
- Tank lights
- Calcium reactor re circulation and feed pumps

This is what wasn't working:
- Ecotech vortechs (controlled by the apex WXM)
- Ecotech Radion (controlled by the apex WXM)
- Skimmer
- Heaters
- Cooling Fans
- ATO
- AWC
- Calcium reactor solenoid for CO2
- Automatic feeder
- Neck cleaner
- Sump light

So what did I learn. Well firstly, if it's going to be installed in my fish room it's going to break down at some point. :wall: Secondly, when you set up a controller, plan that one day it will fail and set out the correct measures to ensure the tank survives. Here's what I'm considering to change:

- Somehow set up the heaters to work even without the apex running. Maybe set the internal thermostats higher and fallback 'on'? Or it's been suggested to run an STC-1000 in series with a lower threshold for temperature? :-s
- Set up access to my home network from my phone so that I don't need to depend on the could access (fusion) and I can check if the apex is still actually working
- Reduce 'depending' on the apex to run certain equipment

That's all I can think of... any more suggestions?

I should add, no fish or coral were harmed this Friday the 13th. Thankfully.
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)