• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

TOTF July 2013 - CaptCrash 8x2.5x2 - Flame Angel Spawn Video

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

TOTF July 2013 - CaptCrash 8x2.5x2 - Flame Angel Spawn Video

Postby CaptCrash » Wed 01 May, 2013 1:12 am

Introduction:
Hi all, I have just started the process on upgrading from my current 6x2x2 tank that has been running since 19/10/2009 and was my first marine tank (also my first fish tank).

Since then I have started breeding various marine fish (mostly clownfish) so the tank count is now quite silly (49 in total between different breeder and grow out systems plus another 6-10 used for fry).
My "reef" tank has been a bit of a sorry affair for a while now as my efforts have been focused on the breeding activities.

System Objectives: A happy place for all my fish, once the system has stabilised and to add some soft corals for colour and movement within the tank.
The main reason for the upgrade is to provide more swimming space for the tangs as they are starting to get large.
I would like to tidy up the tank, the current single overflow limits water flow to the sump and there is no option to easily add a safety.
The water level in the tank is quite high and algae growth on the tank lids is a regular occurrence as they are often touching the water.

With the new tank, the goal is to be able to run more water flow from the display to the sump, hide the various support components and to provide a more planned water flow.

System Type: Initially, FOWLR migrating to a reef with soft corals and an anemone

Display System:
Strike up Date: June 2012
Display Tank: 2400mm long x 750mm deep x 650mm high with a rear mounted central overflow
Display Lighting: DIY Cree LED lighting, controllable via GHL Profilux 3 Ex controller. Colours include Royal Blue, Neutral White primaries across 8 channels. Blue, Red, Near UV, Cyan, Amber and Warm White channels for specific colour enhancements. Eg blue, royal blue for dusk/dawn then red, amber, neutral white, royal blue for sunrise/sunset etc
Stand with cladding: 2460mm long x 785mm deep x 1050mm high
Hood: None

Sump: 1200mm long x 600mm deep x 470mm high
Refugium: In sump
Refugium Lighting: Royal Blue and Red Cree DIY LED's, controlled by GHL Profilux 3 Ex

Support systems:
System Water: Natural salt water
Display Water Circulation: 4 x Tunze 6105 Stream Power Heads connected to Profilux 3 Ex controller.
Return Pump: Sicce Syncra 12000
Skimmer: 2 x Tunze 9015 Protein Skimmer
Heater: 2 x 300W heater
Chiller: Halier 500A
UV: 3 x 39w used when required
Evaporation Top Up: Tunze osmalator pump controlled by GHL Profilux 3 Ex
Reactors: Carbon, GFO

Chemical Support:
Calcium Addition: None
Alkalinity Addition: None
Other Chemical Maintenance: None
Current Water Chemistry: TBA
Nitrates: TBA
Phosphates: TBA
Alkalinity: TBA
Calcium: TBA
Salinity / Specific Gravity:1.025
Magnesium: TBA

Livestock
3 x Blue Tangs, 2 x female, 1 x male (Paracanthurus hepatus)
1 x Blonde Naso Tang (Naso elegans)
1 x Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
1 x Power Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon)
12 x Blue Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)
1 x Stocky Anthia (Pseudanthias hypselosoma)
1 x Yellow Damsel (Amblyglyphidodon aureus)
2 x Saddleback Clownfish (Amphiprion polymnus )
2 x Fire Clownfish (Amphiprion ephippium)
1 x Blue Cheeked Gobbies (Valenciennea strigata?)
3 x Blue Streaked Cleaner Wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus)
2 x Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
6 x Peppermint shrimp (Lysmata vitatta)
6 x Glass Shrimp (Lysmata sp?)
2 x Red Line Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)

Coral and non-mobile Invertabrates
1 x fluro green bubble tip anemome with purple tips
2 x zooanthid clusters of polyps
1 x Leather Coral (sp?)
Morphs (Green and Red)
Multi coloured morphs (Pink spotted and blue/gray mottled)

Clean up Crew
lots of Paper snail (Stomatella sp)
lots of Bristle worms
lots of Turbo snails (Turbo sp)
12 x Zombie snail (Nassarius sp)
lots of Mysid shrimps (Mysid sp)
lots of Amphipod (Amphipod sp)
2 x black crabs hitch hikers

Sump
Mechanical: 100um filter socks
Macro Algae: three types Chaetomorpha sp, Dead Mans Fingers (sp?), fine sea grass/macro algae
DIY LED Lighting: 12 x Red Cree 660nm LED plus 2 x Royal Blue LED with 700ma dimmable driver, single string.
LED Light intensity, 5:59pm off, 6pm 15%, 9pm 50%, 11pm 65%, 6am 50%, 8am 15%, 8:01am off.
Sponges: 3 x 1cm at June 2013

To Do List
Background for tank and weir cover ... sort of done, background is done, weir cover not going to be done.
returns and drains to be painted ...
Last edited by CaptCrash on Sun 27 Apr, 2014 3:03 am, edited 17 times in total.
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Re: CaptCrash 8x2.5x2 - Planning

Postby cody.sheridan-2008 » Wed 01 May, 2013 2:00 am

:thumbsup: :pirate: :banana: :banana:
MASS President 2013, 2014
900x620x500 Rimless SPS tank - Pico time!
cody.sheridan-2008
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CaptCrash » Wed 01 May, 2013 2:35 am

The plan is to end up with a tank and stand that look something like the following.

Tank Layout
Two Tunze 6105's will be mounted on each of the angled sections of the overflow. These will be used to both create flow and to surge the tank water creating movement and keeping as much detritus in suspension as possible. Control of the power heads will be achieved via the GHL Profilux 3 Ex.

Overflow

I plan on getting some dark blue acrylic, bent to size to sit on the inside of the overflow, this will be held in place by the Tunze Pump Magnets. This will allow me to clean all of the glass in the tank without needing seperate tools so to not scratch the acrylic.

I will also put the same colour dark blue acrylic background behind the tank. This will likely be held in place by silicone or similar.

Sump

Water flow through Sump

Sump Section 1
By using the arrangement of the return pipes exiting within the first section of the sump, I am hoping to minimise splashing and to retain any excess food, detritus, Norrie etc. to the filter socks and the first chamber. The flow in this first section should be significant, helping to keep items in suspension.
The output of the chiller, ATO and Reactors will flow into this section.

Sump Section 2
With my current setup I use 2-3 filter socks per week and depending on the day of the week (is it water change time?) the filter socks can get blocked before I change them. By using three units in parallel, this will allow me to change one sock at a time without the need to fiddle with the return lines (a current issue). Additionally, if a sock does get blocked, then the remaining socks will still be able to process the water and I shouldn’t lose any large waste into other sections of the sump.

In the worst case, with three socks blocked the water will backup and then overflow the second baffle into the Macro Algae compartment.

Sump Section 3
Macro Algae will be run in this section. DIY LED lights will be moved from the old tank to this new system.
Some Live rock and rubble will be in the bottom of this compartment to provide protection for Amphipods, Mysis shrimp, bristle worm and snail populations.
Egg crate will be used to confine the Macro Algae to this compartment, yet let the water pass.

Sump Section 4
Skimmer(s) will be housed in this larger slower moving section of the sump.
Reactors will also be housed in this section. Output from the reactors will be plumbed into the Sump Section 1
Probes for the Profilux 3 Ex will be housed in this section
Heaters will be housed in this section. The temp will be set 2C above the ideal for the tank on the heaters. The Profilux will be used as a primary temp controller and will turn off the power to the heater once it reaches its ideal temp.

Sump Section 5
Return Pump and ATO level sensors
Water from the return pump will feed the chiller, reactors and return to the display tank.

Stand Layout
Looking down into the stand from the Top.

From the Back (Top of Image) to the Front and then left to right,
1. GHL Power Bar to control chiller, heaters, refugum light, ATO, skimmer and fans. Not UPS protected
2. ATO Tank
3. Chiller and fans
4. Sump with 5 compartments (return, filter socks, refugum, Skimmer/Reactor chamber, return)
5. GHL Power Bar to Power Heads, Lights, Return Pump, UPS protected
6. Shelves for storage (Not shown)
7. GHL Profilux 3 Ex
8. UPS
9. Fans (Not Shown)

Stand

The stand will be made from 50mm square tube with panels that are then attached with magnets to allow all panels to be removed and the stand worked on if required.

Tank Automation
The tank will be controlled by a GHL Profilux 3 Ex. It is the same unit that runs the current tank and my breeding setup.
Items that will be controlled/managed by the system

1. Heaters with secondary control in the heater itself, allowing for a failure of the temperature probe on the controller or a heater failing in the on position
2. Chiller with secondary control in the chiller itself, allowing for a failure of the temperature probe on the controller or the chiller failing in the on position.
3. Variation in tank temperature between day and night is allowed within thresholds (e.g. colder at night)
4. ATO
5. Return Pump Control, run low protection, feed pause with auto restart
6. Skimmer Control, off during water change and run low protection
7. Lighting control across all channels, Sunrise, Sunset, clouds, rainy days (dimmed lighting), storms/lightning, control across all channels for colour mixing throughout the day, moonlighting
8. Pump Control, pumps off for feeding, automatic restart after feeding, water surge (small waves), variable flow to maximum during storms to keep detritus in the water column
9. Monitoring of power usage, temp, conductivity (salinity), PH and Redox. Power usage on pumps is a sign of requiring a clean. Low power demand on heaters can mean a failed heater
10. Alarm reporting for items outside of the target parameters
11. Manually initiated, automatic water change
12. Tracking of hours of usage for a component (e.g. Lights, UV, pumps)
13. System Reminders

If anyone has any suggestions, comments or thinks that there is a better way to approach any of this then please let me know. Overall most of the equipment will be migrated from my existing tank, so the upgrade costs should be minimal other than the tank, sump, stand and plumbing.
Note: clownfish shown to scale though I swear there were more in there a couple of hours ago. :)
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby slawman » Wed 01 May, 2013 6:40 am

Looks impressive Captain!

Perhaps consider a bubble trap after your skimmers and prior to your return. If you are considering SPS down the track (I know you have said you are not but I have never been able to resist after a few months) then the LED lighting may not be entirely adequate. I am also a fan of trying to separate power components as far as possible from the wet areas to keep them completely moisture free. I have had major issues with this on past systems on high humidity days and once or twice when my sump ventilation fans stopped running.

Great planning and thought and looking forward to seeing it all come together!
Last edited by slawman on Wed 01 May, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The winner is the one who has had the most fun at the end

Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
slawman
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby chromus » Wed 01 May, 2013 4:17 pm

Hey Darren, have you got a tank stand maker? I am looking for 1 still for my tank, I have the tank sorted, just need a stand builder who is affordable and reliable
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby CaptCrash » Wed 01 May, 2013 4:54 pm

chromus wrote:Hey Darren, have you got a tank stand maker? I am looking for 1 still for my tank, I have the tank sorted, just need a stand builder who is affordable and reliable

At this stage, its only been a conversation. So its one of the items I need to get sorted.
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby chromus » Wed 01 May, 2013 5:12 pm

why not an external end weir Darren? more tank real estate available and less dead spots?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
chromus
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby CaptCrash » Wed 01 May, 2013 6:20 pm

chromus wrote:why not an external end weir Darren? more tank real estate available and less dead spots?

I agree on your point on the real estate, but im a bit limited for choice as I see it. I would like to be able to view it from three sides, so keeping the ends clear would be good.
The tank also has to pass through my front door to get into the house, this imposes a 765mm limit, so an external rear weir is not really an option.

My thinking was that whilst the weir will claim some space within the tank, it will also give me some mount points and hopefully disguise the power heads to some degree as part of the process (or at least not have them be on the ends of the tank like the current layout).
Also this will allow me to have one end of the stand be dry, for the controller, power boards, UPS and storage etc.

In regards to the dead spots, I dont get what you mean?
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby n0rk » Wed 01 May, 2013 7:46 pm

Do what I did to get my 5x3.5 into the house... roll it onto its side ;)
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
n0rk
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby chromus » Wed 01 May, 2013 7:49 pm

Or do what I did and design the house so I could fit the 3ft wide tank all the way from the garage (which has double doors) to the tank area with a 1500mm wide passageway.

:drink:

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
chromus
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 01 May, 2013 8:39 pm

An end weir limits you ability to run a wave box as well if that is ever an option.

Sanjay also has a coast to coast (external) weir that also serves as an "isolation" chamber for breeding, tank aclimitation, time out cell, etc.

Worth a look at the you tube clips
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CaptCrash » Wed 01 May, 2013 8:41 pm

n0rk wrote:Do what I did to get my 5x3.5 into the house... roll it onto its side ;)

I thought about that, but Pacco didnt seem to be a fan so I pulled my head in.
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby CaptCrash » Wed 01 May, 2013 8:50 pm

chromus wrote:Or do what I did and design the house so I could fit the 3ft wide tank all the way from the garage (which has double doors) to the tank area with a 1500mm wide passageway.

:drink:

Thats not really a choice
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby CaptCrash » Thu 02 May, 2013 8:41 pm

The tank has been ordered ... im a little excited :-D
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Re: CaptCrash 8x2.5x2 - Planning (Tank Ordered)

Postby cody.sheridan-2008 » Thu 02 May, 2013 8:44 pm

:banana:
MASS President 2013, 2014
900x620x500 Rimless SPS tank - Pico time!
cody.sheridan-2008
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CaptCrash » Thu 02 May, 2013 8:49 pm

slawman wrote:Perhaps consider a bubble trap after your skimmers and prior to your return.

I will be running my existing Tunze 9015 skimmer(s) in it so there is not much in the way of bubbles that escape. If I change the skimmer later, I can add a bubble trap to the return section.
Thanks for the good suggestion.

slawman wrote:If you are considering SPS down the track (I know you have said you are not but I have never been able to resist after a few months) then the LED lighting may not be entirely adequate.

Im a bit of a coloured stick hater at the moment, so its unlikely that this will be an issue. Also the fish load would have to be reduced significantly for this to happen.

slawman wrote:I am also a fan of trying to separate power components as far as possible from the wet areas to keep them completely moisture free. I have had major issues with this on past systems on high humidity days and once or twice when my sump ventilation fans stopped running.

Good point I may look at adding a humidity sensor to the controller, it can then alarm if the humidity gets out of whack. If the fans stop, my plan was simply to have a few, 3 on each end of the stand. If one dies, Ill replace it.

Thanks for the suggestions, its really good to get others ideas, even the ones like the SPS idea as it makes you think "Is this the way I want to go".
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby CaptCrash » Thu 02 May, 2013 8:49 pm

cody.sheridan-2008 wrote::banana:

Thanks Cody, now its just the waiting.
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby robthepom » Fri 03 May, 2013 6:20 pm

CaptCrash wrote: quite silly (49 in total between different breeder and grow out systems plus another 6-10 used for fry)

'quite silly' :roflmao: :roflmao: man you have a serious reefing problem :thumbsup:

I have followed your amazing breeding thread for many years now, I wish you the same success with this new adventure :wavey: :wavey:
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 3 footer

Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer

There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
robthepom
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CaptCrash » Fri 03 May, 2013 6:34 pm

robthepom wrote:
CaptCrash wrote: quite silly (49 in total between different breeder and grow out systems plus another 6-10 used for fry)

'quite silly' :roflmao: :roflmao: man you have a serious reefing problem :thumbsup:

I have followed your amazing breeding thread for many years now, I wish you the same success with this new adventure :wavey: :wavey:

But I dont have a reef, thats the problem. Its all just boxes of water with fish.
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby robthepom » Fri 03 May, 2013 6:38 pm

CaptCrash wrote:
robthepom wrote:

'quite silly' :roflmao: :roflmao: man you have a serious BOX AND FISH problem :thumbsup:

But I dont have a reef, thats the problem. Its all just boxes of water with fish.

Fixed

Shhhhh, corals are overrated anyway :devil:
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 3 footer

Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer

There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
robthepom
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CaptCrash » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 4:13 pm

Its getting close now, the tank is close to being finished, hopefully this week.

I have made the descision to change from ASW to NSW, so this week I purchased a 2000L slimline plastic rain water tank. This lets me hold about 2400L of salt water, 400L at the right temp.
Between the new tank and the breeding setups, Ill probably need to get this filled every three weeks or so, but it looks like its going to be a lot simpler than making up ASW.
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby chromus » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 6:38 pm

Darren have you checked there are no copper fittings on the tank, a lot are fitted with them at the moment.

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
chromus
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Postby CaptCrash » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 8:21 pm

chromus wrote:Darren have you checked there are no copper fittings on the tank, a lot are fitted with them at the moment.

Yup no metal at all, its a plastic tank with nylon fittings and tap. I think the guys I got it from were sick of me checking that there was no metal at all in it.

Having this much water on tap is great, It can shoot water about 2.5m from the tap (reduced to 25mm hose fitting) like a fire hydrant. Fills a 20L bucket in about 6-8 seconds. :)

Is it wrong that im excited by having a big bucket of salty water that I didnt have to make up?
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby CaptCrash » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 8:24 pm

Layout for filter sock holder for sump

This is to be made from two layers of acrylic with the filter socks resting on the bottom piece of acrylic. edit: was CNC routed from a 10mm thick piece of acrylic.

The goal is to be able to change filter socks without needing to stop the return pump. Also if a filter sock gets blocked up, then the others can deal with more water.
If in the worst case, all three are blocked, then water will build up in the first chamber of the sump and then overflow to the third.
Last edited by CaptCrash on Thu 20 Jun, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby CaptCrash » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 8:42 pm

In terms of placing the tank onto the stand, I was planning to put 20mm polystyrene on to the tank stand and then place the tank onto that. This would be similar to how my 6' was done and shown below (wood stand for 6', metal for this one).

I have read about people using marine ply on top of the metal stands (so stand, Marine ply, polystyrene then tank). Does anyone think that this is required or is the polystyrene sufficient?

Im not woried about the cost of the marine ply (and I am going to be using some as a base inside the stand for the sump anyway), I just want to make sure that I give the tank the best chance at keeping the water inside.
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby Reefspec » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 9:54 pm

chromus wrote:Hey Darren, have you got a tank stand maker? I am looking for 1 still for my tank, I have the tank sorted, just need a stand builder who is affordable and reliable

If you can send me a drawing I can get you a quote from our fabricator he is good at building frames etc. He's not dirt cheap but very good quality.

:cheers:
Reefspec
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby some_one » Wed 05 Jun, 2013 10:07 pm

Looks like a nice future setup Darren :clap:

For my tank/stand etc I used:

Stand ---> 16mm HMR MDF with laminate both sides and edging, then painted with marine varnish (extra safe) ---> poly ---> tank.

I used the same under my sump for the base of the cabinet. Spilled water in there before, and it just sits on the surface :thumbsup:
Brett
My 850L SPS Tank Journal -TOTM October 2013, TOTY R/UP 2013

From WA, join MASWA!!
Reefpedia - Search - Beginners Guide

MASWA Committee member, RTAW Moderator, MASA Committee member
some_one
Old Sea Dog Reefer
WA Reefer

Postby CaptCrash » Fri 14 Jun, 2013 2:35 am

Great news, the stand is now at my place and the tank is due to arrive Sunday evening.
Water delivery booked for Wednesday morning so Monday and Tuesday I'm going to get the plumbing done and get ready for a massive box of water. :) :) :) :)
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
WA Reefer

Re: CaptCrash 8x2.5x2 - Planning (Tank Delivery on Sunday 16

Postby chromus » Fri 14 Jun, 2013 9:21 am

:banana: :banana: :banana:

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
chromus
MASWA Member
MASWA Member

Re: CaptCrash 8x2.5x2 - Planning (Tank Delivery on Sunday 16

Postby Reefspec » Fri 14 Jun, 2013 11:39 am

Great news!
Is your filter holder ready yet have they called you?
Reefspec
Bicentenary Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)