• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Col's 6 footer

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Col's 6 footer

Postby colg » Sat 13 Oct, 2012 11:44 am

Introduction:
Thought i might as well start a journal for my 6x2x2 build. I have been running various freshwater set-ups in the tank for the last 8 or so years and decided that it was time for a change. First marine setup so can use all the positive criticism that i can get.
Tank is currently cycling so wont be any updates for a while..

System Objectives: To have a relatively low maintenance tank that has diversity and is a pleasure to view

System Type: Mixed Reef

Display System:

Strike up Date: 12/10/2012

Display Tank: standard 6x2x2 rear left weir

Display Lighting: 4x4x39W solarmax at the moment. Need to upgrade maybe more T5's or LED when prices drop

Stand: DIY with 2pac paint

Hood: N/A

Sump: Custom 2 chamber 750x480x450

Refugium: N/A might use weir or create chamber in sump.

Support systems:

System Water: artificial salt water

Display Water circulation: In tank water circulation. 2x Tunze 6105 with controller

Return Pump: Speedy R3 8,000l

Skimmer: 170 cone Vertex

Evaporation Top Up: tunze auto

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: none yet

Alkilinity Addition: none yet

Other Chemical Maintenance: N/A

Current Water Chemistry: If applicable
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

Stand
First Fill
Just threw in the live rock to start cycle. was planning on spending some time scaping but the 'mess' is growing on me.
Last edited by colg on Sat 15 Jun, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Re: Col's 6 footer

Postby Adam007 » Sat 13 Oct, 2012 6:03 pm

Hi Col looks great keep us updated. I'm abit puzzled as to why you are using a salt mix though!!

Adam
Adam007
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby colg » Sat 13 Oct, 2012 7:31 pm

I was a bit concerned about the water quality at the harbour especially over the wet season. A lot of fresh runoff and unpredictable water quality. I know that you use nsw but your tank is only small and you can stockpile enough to wait for good quality.
I guess I could get at 1000l container.. I tried to find one when I was deciding between water types but couldn't.

Would prefer nsw any ideas on where to source a bulk drum or 2?
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby colg » Sun 02 Dec, 2012 1:09 am

Tank has been up and running for a while no so time for an update..
Dont have any lenses at home at the moment but will bring one home and get some photo's up next week,

Found the single drain line to be far to noisy for the lounge room so extended the corner weir by 70mm along the tank and drilled two holes in the back wall to accept 25mm bulkheads. With the existing 1 1/2" base drilling i have fashioned a bean style drain system (1" full siphon with ball valve, 1" drain with overflow and an 1 1/2" emergency overflow). This has resulted in 100% silent DT to sump flow, very glad i drilled the extra holes. :)
Tuning the drain siphon has been very easy and have been able to set it up so that all the flow goes through the full siphon.

Ended up going with the Alpha 170 skimmer. Must say that i am impressed with the skim that it is pulling. I cant compare with any other skimmers but it pulls some dark crud out :thumbsup:
I did have some helpful advice from Chris (MASRQ) in how to set it up when he dropped some snails over, thanks Chris. Chris also suggested opening up the rock work, which i have done substantially. Looks ok but after the addition of some coral i dont think the scape will suit additional stocking so will need to alter it in the future.. :wall:

Watching the life that keeps appearing on/from the liverock has been pretty exciting for myself and my partner and has given us great enjoyment over the past weeks. Might have jumped the gun a little early on stocking but parameters have been stable as, since the end of week one. Calcium has been a little high however.

Added a HC-1000 chiller which has been working a treat - Currently building an alloy wall mounted shelf so that it can be mounted outside! these units are as noisy, if not more deafening, than described!!
Other projects for the near future include: Remote Macro fuge, lighting upgrade, potential hood, IBC or similar for NSW storage.

Currently stocked are:

Fish:
    Pair of percula clowns,
    Lawn mower Blenny,
    5 blue/green chromis,
    Royal Dottyback,
    dozen or so snails (unknown variety)

Corals: (please forgive my ignorance on scientific names, or erroneous common names!)
    Couple of toadstool/ Umbrella Leathers,
    Translucent Button,
    Green Brain,
    Hammer,
    Gold Torch,
    mushroom coral
    and some Candys

Col
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby priscacara » Sun 02 Dec, 2012 9:34 am

Good to hear its all going well, I love your stocking list so far so looking forward to seeing the pics when you get them.
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

The nano adventure - now closed down
priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby colg » Fri 14 Dec, 2012 7:22 pm

Did a water change this arvo and took the pics i said I would earlier..

Cheers,
Col
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby priscacara » Sat 15 Dec, 2012 3:54 pm

Wow! Some beautiful corals and fish they all look awesome! What is the coral in the second pic?
Oh, how I wish for soothing rain. Oh how I wish to dream again. Once and for all and all for once, Nemo my name forevermore.

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby colg » Sat 15 Dec, 2012 7:57 pm

What is the coral in the second pic?

I believe it is a Lobophytum, still learning names and types so I could be wrong..

Col
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby priscacara » Sun 16 Dec, 2012 11:18 am

Tx Col, would have been my guess too but the color threw me a bit, I love it! I know it isn't the brightest of what you have but its a delicate pink, not a pink fan usually but that one does it for me :)

Paddling in the pool

3 Foot nano upgrade

priscacara
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Mattyjm77 » Mon 17 Dec, 2012 9:06 pm

Looking good
Mattyjm77
Lurking Reefer

Postby colg » Tue 31 Dec, 2013 3:58 pm

Time for a bit of an update... been 12months since the last!

There have been a few minor changes to the tank. The most obvious is the replacement of the old Solarmax T5 unit. I have now got a PacSun Pandora 4x80W T5 + 4x 75W led fixture hanging over the tank, courtesy of the recent group buy (details in the pacsun thread). Lighting is an obvious improvement over what i had!!

Water params have been pretty stable, however i did have an impeller failure on my vertex alpha skimmer roughly 6months or so ago. I still haven't been able to get a hold of a replacement :konk: but that is a whole other story..
Currently running two el-cheapo aqua one style skimmers in the sump and they seem to be keeping up ok for now.

I am dosing manually at the moment but looking to set up an auto doser in the new year to reduce the manual input required. I did add an ATO system which has been a great investment.

As for inhabitants, there are a couple of additions;
Pair of clowns
Banggai cardinal
barrier reef chromus
coral banded shrimp pair
a couple of acans (not doing so well due to some warfair when some others grew and encroached on them)
two scollys
couple of hammers and some zooas that seemed to have popped up :)

I recently tried fragging some pieces off the colt coral which has been a bit of a failure but i will keep at it and i'm sure it will be a success.

Cheers,
col
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Re: Col's 6 footer - shut down

Postby colg » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 1:30 pm

Closed this tank down three weeks ago - didn't realize how long it had been since I updated the journal!

In the last month or so I was plagued with a few issues, mainly centered around a firmware issue with my light. I lost a few corals and had a bit of an algea outbreak but these things happen. I had been building a new tank since Xmas and was planning to shut this tank down and swap contents over. Not really much to show except the last two pics. The new build is covered in a seperate journal.
Cheers,
Col

And goooone...
colg
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member
RTAW Moderator
MASA Volunteer

Postby Abarnes » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 1:38 pm

Glad to see the new tank doing so well Col! Cant wait to get some more regular updates :poke: :pirate:
Abarnes
Bicentenary Reefer
Welcome Team

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)