• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Ken & Jen's 10FT- shut down Aug 2015

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Ken & Jen's 10FT adventure into bankruptcy

Postby SparraG » Tue 31 Dec, 2013 5:55 pm

Now I mean this as respectfully as possible, I hate you! haha I told the Mrs no more tanks until we buy our own house (in our mid 20's ) I have been looking at houses thinking, " yeah a tank will not fit in there " My promise to her was no more tanks.... until our own house but it has to be a mega tank!

Now that have have read the whole journal I am affraid my house buying budget has risen by 100k :P think I need the floor space for a minimum 10ft tank!

Great job mate, really inspiring ( now I know why it was called "adventure into bankruptcy" )

Cheers,

SG
SparraG
Lurking Reefer

Postby Synodontis » Tue 25 Mar, 2014 11:26 pm

See now, that's just wrong!
Where'd the last 3 months go??? :nut:
Well almost to the bloody day! The world gets crazy I know but really? 3 months? lol

So the holidays came & went, to fast & I didn't get half the crap done I wanted to.
Got one side of the light down & added another...
13x Cree royal blue
13x Cree blue
13x SemiLED UV
13x Cree warm white
Still have to add.....
6x GHL Mitras boards - had them ready to go but just run out of time.
I'm really good at leaving things to the last min lol.
Haven't got any of them hooked up to the power station either :wall: can't go rushing into these things ay.

Not sure what happened or when the pic below was taken, but I do remember it wasn't long after a water change & the skimmer decided to lose the plot & go all hay wire for a few hours. Only wish I had noticed it before this happened...

I picked up a trailer, pump & IBC out of the classifieds a few weeks back. The plan is to fix the trailer up & get it looking pretty.
Could be handy for anyone moving a large tank to keep an easily transport 90% of the original tank water.
If I can't get water out to someone, they can come grab the trailer.
Kinda like a free resource for anyone in Vic who needs a chop out.
That's the plan anyway's, another thing to add to the "to-do list" :konk:

Couple of weeks ago, I had a large clean up in the frag section of the sump. (Want a new sup, but that's a different story lol.)
Things had kinda got out of hand down there. Zoa's going all over the place, small bits I'd picked up here & there with all good intentions to go into the tank at the next water change, never seemed to make it up to the DT tho? Things just got put in the sump & multiplied lol.

So at the end of the day, things had a little more order to them.
Ended up giving away about 30 frags over the weekend as people dropped in to pick stuff up lol.
Everything was looking pretty, made a hole in the top shelf, got some of them in to the DT, now had room for more bits! :)
Then a friend had drama's with his tank while away, another friend went to the rescue & got things sorted until Luke got home.
Jen picked up a couple of corals & now we are holding them longer then planned for him lol.
First pic is after everything was sorted, second pic is the coral we are holding for Luke in the hole we cleaned out.

Umm, what else? Sulphur!

As with most reef tanks, our biggest problem has always been nitrates. 400ltr water changes per week has been the only way we can keep things stable. As far as testing goes, API has been used for nitrate because we know it's off the charts so being super accurate for us was a waste of time. When you add the reagents & the tube turns red lol, you know you have a problem. Yeah we know it's far to high, but it always has been, high, but stable, if that makes some sort of crazy sense. Our LFS hooked up a small Aquamedic sulphur reactor rated to 1000ltr's a few months ago. It was the lowest our nitrates have been since we started. So after some research, lots of questions, we decided to go the hog & set up a sulphur reactor that could handle the tank with ease. Anyone who has seen Jen feed Moo & the tank, just shakes their head at the amount of food that goes into the tank lol. Hence the reason for the very high nitrates. Having large fish which require lots of food & a whole heap of corals probably don't make the perfect partners in a captive system, but hey, it keeps us happy lol. Everything grows & looks pretty, but the colour always looks a little flat if you know what I mean. The reactor has been running for 3 weeks now, going into week 4. Jen & I thought we could see a difference in the corals, just seemed to look better in a funny way. Our LFS bloke (Dave) was around the other night & he made the comment that everything was looking better, the colors were stronger. It wasn't until then that we could accept that he was right. You know what it's like, you plug in a new toy & really want to see results, so you tell yourself you can see them. Really didn't want to read anything into the results until someone else commented. Haven't got around to doing another nitrate test as yet. Only had the sulphur & 1x calcium reactor running in this time as waiting for other fittings to start the third reactor up. Only just hooked the third reactor up tonight, very happy with the new fittings so will change over the other two reactor's next weekend.

Image Image

The John Guest fitting's I have been waiting for rocked up today so now fitted to the third reactor, up & running.

So what's in there?
1x Avast Marine MR16-18 modified reactor with 5Kg sulphur beads
1x Avast Marine Effluent reactor filled with 2Kg calcium carbonate
1x Avast Marine Effluent reactor filled with 1Kg calcium carbonate & 1Kg of dolomite (Magnesium) added into the system tonight.

SparraG,
Mate I dunno about inspiring lol, just the dribble of an old man rambling on, but thanks for your comments.
And don't ever say no more tanks lol, A wise man once said, never say never.
Damn, I told Jen years ago when we only had FW tanks, we will NEVER have a SW tank!
That didn't last long :wall:

Well it's late, time for bed. Will try & finish this update tomorrow night lol, or within the next 3 months.

Nite all, :)
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Synodontis » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 8:55 pm

Well at least it's only 3 weeks before more dribble, better then 3 months lol.

Finally got the whole sulphur thing happening.
Decided that the John Guest fittings look so much better, seal better & a lot safer then the barb fitting's so reckon I will change over everything to this sort of setup when I can. Been about 6 weeks running now & the highly reliable API nitrate test is now coming home with a slight orange color, not the solid red as soon as the drops hit the water lol. Thank inmates are looking so much better also. Just little things, but we have noticed the differences.

Also started lining the back of the cabinet. Put some 16mm MDF along the the wall, then 4mm white perspex over that.
The perspex was kindly donated by...umm... a couple of signs I found at work lol.
Took Jen & I four hours to pull the stickers off, bugger of a job I tell ya.
It has taken a couple of weeks, as I had nothing to cut the stuff with.
Amazing what you can find at Bunnings, $55 later you can walk out with a circular saw & perspex blade lol.
As long as it last's till I'm done I'm not worried.

All I got up today was grabbing some trunking from Bunnings & running that the length of the cabinet.
You can get the idea of it in the pic. You just run your wiring along the inside & the cover goes over the top.
I do have a plan for exiting the wires but until the new sump goes in it works just to have then close to where they will exit.
Once the new sump is in I can sort placement out proper like.
The top of the cabinet will be lined with the same perspex at some stage also, just to tidy up & fish it off.

And to finish, some random pics I took today, no particular order or stories......
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Thommo01 » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 11:13 pm

Looks great. Amazing what a little touch up under the tank can make such an impression. Looks very neat and tidy.

Was that a fish trap I saw in one of the pics?
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby coral1 » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 1:57 pm

looking good guys :thumbsup:
Renae
MASOV 2015-2016 president
Image[/image]
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=241394
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=162492
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Synodontis » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 11:58 pm

Hey Thommo01,
Yessum, it's a fish trap you seen.
Having a problem with the Thompson Tang, was the last fish added & only about 2inches when he went in.
Only reason he survived is the amount of rock & hiding places he had.
Now he's all growed up & thinks he owns the tank. Just turned into a bully.
Over a week he hammered on of the Rabbits until it died. :furious:
Nothing worse then pulling a dead fish out of the tank, fat & healthy other then just being stressed to the max.
Now the little snot is just annoying everyone in the tank, except Moo lol.
So, time to go Mr.Thompson!
So far we have caught the Lipstick a few times, Foxface & Yellow Tang a few times, the Butterfly just thinks it's a new cave for him to live in, even the other Rabbit has been in an out. Do you think the bloody Thompson has been near the bloody trap!
So if anyone has a home for a bully little fish yell out lol. :)

Thanks Renae,
It's an on going build I think lol.
No idea what we will do if I ever sit back & think "it's complete at last" :roflmao:
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby coral1 » Tue 15 Apr, 2014 8:49 am

Thanks Renae,
It's an on going build I think lol.
No idea what we will do if I ever sit back & think "it's complete at last" :roflmao:[/quote]

it will never happen lol :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Renae
Image[/image]
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby Thommo01 » Tue 15 Apr, 2014 8:56 pm

I'm sorry to hear that my name sake(last name Thompson :shock: ) is causing you so much hastle. Fingers crossed it gets adventourous and has a look soon. Nothing worse than pulling healthy but dead fish out.
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Synodontis » Mon 21 Apr, 2014 11:33 pm

Allo again,
Sunday night update, oh wait, it's Monday lol, bloody public holidays.

Bit of a busy weekend running around doing the water thing but found time to do a water change on Friday.
Also found some more time to play in the cabinet. I'm starting to like Bunnings again, always find something in there I can use. :)

Took from memory two coffee's while sitting & looking inside the cabinet to decide how to continue.
Got a bit of a plan happening but that could change with the next coffee lol.
Loving the look of those floating shelves from Bunnings. Pretty easy to install to.
Test fit for all the bits...

Worked out that if you squeeze the factory Kamoer tube inside the John Guest tube, the original Kamoer fittings will work well.

Ditching the old AquaMedic doser, has to be around 5 or 6 years old now.
Looked at the Libra, but no slave in slight for at least ? 3 months, which could be 3 years lol.
Spoke to the guys at Pacific Sun when the Kore5 first came out, very nice, but no support without weeks of waiting.
Also interested in the ARKA Vida GT doser, but damn, try finding information on them.
Thought about the GHL as it is stand alone, but if I got that, I'd want a Profilux, if I started looking at that, I'd go for the Apex as the options & software are so much better. When was the last real update or addition to the GHL? I was taking to BenS today about this.
So that left the good ole Kamoer system. Really, bang for buck you can't really go wrong I think. Rock solid & performs well, calibrate the pumps, will remind you when dosing containers are getting low, that's about all I need.

So once I knew the fitting to the pumps where secure, It was a matter of hooking everything up.
Ran enough tube so that I could tidy it up once a few more fittings here, but the main things are up & running again.

So that's about it for this time, HooRoo. :)
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby ssscuz » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:59 am

Looking very neat!! Good work guys.

The kamoer should be good to u, a lot of ppl use them
ssscuz
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby cody.sheridan-2008 » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 12:45 pm

:withyou: :clap:
MASS President 2013, 2014
900x620x500 Rimless SPS tank - Pico time!
cody.sheridan-2008
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 11:46 pm

Neat!
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Andy.B » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 1:33 pm

Looking great! Man I love moo the sweetlips, do you guys still have the maculosus angel??
Andrew
Andy.B
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Synodontis » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 12:06 am

ssscuz wrote:The kamoer should be good to u, a lot of ppl use them

Thanks Nathan,
Think your right on the Kamoer to, I get caught up in the techo bits sometimes lol.

Andy.B wrote:Looking great! Man I love moo the sweetlips, do you guys still have the maculosus angel??

Thanks Andy,
Moo keeps us amused that's for sure. Just hoping he doesn't get much bigger!
As for the Yellow Bar, he developed a huge appetite for zoas lol.
So when we moved the tank he along with a Bi-color, Coral Beauty & all the Chromus where donated to our LFS.
Last I heard the he was living in a big 8ft & loving life. :)
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Synodontis » Sun 18 May, 2014 10:07 pm

Well another few weeks have gone past & Sunday rocks around far to fast these days.
Not a great deal to report or update on really. Lots of ideas rattling around in my head as usual but really have to finish off other projects.
Finally got the rest of the John Guest fitting to finish off the reactors & set up nice & pretty like. Just have to cut some more perspex for the floor. Lent the saw & blade to a mate so that wont happen till I get them back lol. Then I have to cut a hole in the cabinet door to get the power leads through. They will end up on power boards in the server cabinet right away from any moisture.

So easy to see what goes where & does what with the different colors. Only dosing Randy's 3 pot slop & Brightwell Redoxiclean at the moment. Not 100% sure on what to put on the other 3 channels. One of the ideas that keep popping into my head is a chilled magnetic stirrer lol :) How to go about DIY'ing one so that it looks the poofter part & fits in with the whole poofter look of the cabinet is a whole other story me thinks.

Think I have finally got the sump designed. Will hopefully order that in the coming week. Also have a bit of a treasure chest going for new bits to go in the new sump. Bought one of those Tunze 11000 Silence PRO pumps for the return. Did have a Waveline 10000DC pumps, bet you can't guess what happened to that! Lucky it was only the power supply, so replaced that with a Meanwell unit I had to hack. Got it up & working again but for this tank I wasn't going to trust it again. So now it is the return pump on the 8ft, can see out its days in there lol. Only have a small Sicce on the tank until the sump get here. Also putting a few Tunze 6015 pumps aside for the frag section, bit of flow never hurt anyone. Had to get some frag racks made for a couple of people so had the brackets to hold the dosing tube made at the same time. Thought I may as well get something made to hold the sump ends of the dosing tubes at the same time. Logic is, once the sump is in & I know where things are going to line up, I will bend the acrylic to a 90deg & this will be welded to the rear wall. The tubes will terminate at JG nozzles to keep it all looking pretty. Had two of them made just in case we need more holder holes lol.

That's about it for the construction side of things. Had a bit of a dick around with the camera the other night lol. Geez I take some shocking pics hahaha :roflmao:
Plated around with the setting which was a silly thing to do, but it did horn down the blue saturation that always seems to show up when I take a pic. So in nor particular order, a few snaps of the citizens.....

So once again, here endth the story so far.
Play nice till next time...

Ken & Jen
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby blacjack » Mon 19 May, 2014 7:15 pm

Your tanks looking really good, though I really admire how neat you keep all of your equipment and how you have run the hoses etc. I think this really set's off the whole over all of your system as the entire set up is so tidy and pleasing to look at :bow: :bow: :bow:
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Ben S » Tue 20 May, 2014 9:36 am

Had the pleasure of seeing this again last night. Still blows me away the colours on it. It's one of the most natural looking reef tanks I've seen. Everything is placed perfectly with a great blend of colour.

My missus looked at it and was speechless .... Woohooooo ... first time ever!!! ;)

Equipment layout is fantastic and so neat and tidy. Makes me want to redo all mine again. lol

Ben
Ben S
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby sparker » Fri 23 May, 2014 2:21 pm

Continuing to impress Ken and Jen - keep it up guys, total benchmark :)
Sam
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby coral1 » Sat 24 May, 2014 9:28 am

looking amazing :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Renae
Image[/image]
coral1
Old Sea Dog Reefer
MASOV Sponsor
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Member Current

Postby ausiwi66 » Fri 30 May, 2014 1:41 am

WOW is all i can say. Have just read this from go to wo and its amazing, you have a great sense of humour and good story telling.
Here is a little thought for another toy, something i have been thinking of doing to my tank but dont have the know how to do it. An oscillating power head that sits on the back wall (maybe) and goes from side to side (something like those old style pedestal fans). One other thing that you have never mentioned is have you ever had any problems in the tank like white spot, flukes or cyano if so how did you get rid of it. and you didnt really go into how you got the nitrates down either. Would love to hear how you combated that.
Cheers & keep those hands out of the tank, loooooooove moo he is sooooo cute.
ausiwi66
Starting to get the hang of this place

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 30 May, 2014 1:06 pm

ausiwi66 wrote:WOW is all i can say. Have just read this from go to wo and its amazing, you have a great sense of humour and good story telling.
Here is a little thought for another toy, something i have been thinking of doing to my tank but dont have the know how to do it. An oscillating power head that sits on the back wall (maybe) and goes from side to side (something like those old style pedestal fans). One other thing that you have never mentioned is have you ever had any problems in the tank like white spot, flukes or cyano if so how did you get rid of it. and you didnt really go into how you got the nitrates down either. Would love to hear how you combated that.
Cheers & keep those hands out of the tank, loooooooove moo he is sooooo cute.

Got one (just not in use at the moment)

Check out http://neo3plus.com/en/5-waterflow-motion
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Synodontis » Fri 06 Jun, 2014 1:00 am

Morning all,

Been a couple of weeks since I had a dribble & prattled on about stuff lol.

blackjack -
Thanks mate, when I decided to keep playing in the tank to a minimum, the cabinet was the only other place I could waste my time :)
I think it is all getting carried away tho myself. I get an idea & don't stop to think about time frame or cost, just plod along head first. :wall:
We are pretty lucky tho, you have to remember there is an extra 4ft of cabinet of play in. So nowhere near the tight space many have to work with.

Ben S -
Always nice to hear from those who have seen the tank, my crap photos just dont capture the real look, either all smurffed out or white washed out lol.
Really should get a new camera, I hear they have cameras now that wind the film on all by themselves now! How cool is that shi!!
As for the good lady wife being speechless, a bad thing?? :poke:

sparker -
Thanks mate, not sure about the benchmark tho lol. Tidy but I'm sure there are others around better again.

Coral1-
Thank Renae, still getting there :)

ausiwi66 -
I have thought about wavemakers on the back wall, so much in fact that a couple of weeks ago I moved the Tunze 6105's off the weir onto the back wall. They now face the front of the tank on a bit of an angle. I'd like a bit more flow in the tank, but that's a new toy search down the track lol, have other things to sort out first.
As for the nitrate lol, the sulphur reactor is the only thing that has worked for us. At the last water change, nitrates where down to 25 on the Salifert kit. What did we do? Basically all we did was set up the reactor, seed it with Microbactor7 twice a day for a few days, let it run & its still running. The only maintenance I do is check the flow & adjust as required. I check flow before I leave in the morning & when I get home. How hard is it to open a cupboard, look, turn a knob now & then? Sulphur & water change now has nitrates under control. Being a mixed reef, I don't want 0ppm nitrate.
Your right, I don't really go into the bad things that have happened in the tank. I try to keep it on a somewhat positive note lol. But as every reefer knows, bad stuff happens to everyone at some stage & we have been no different. There have been many times I have thrown my hands up & said nah, don't need this crap & wanted to sell the lot.
The tank has had white spot a three times I think, with a couple of fish loses. The powder blue was the worst effected every time & he just kept going. There were a number of times we looked at him & thought he wouldn't make it through the day or night. He pulled through & only now is starting to put weight back on. As far as treatment goes, catching a fish in this tank is just a joke lol. So in tank treatment was the only way. Personally, I don't think there is a cure for white spot, only treatments to help alleviate the symptoms. Everyone knows there are 3 life stages to white spot, so how can 1 treatment be effective on 3 different stages? We used PolyLab Medic as it did seem to help the fish cope with white spot.
Never really had an algae problem, a bit of bubble algae here & there, a cyno patch here & there but nothing worth writing home about. Which is really surprising considering the phosphate levels in the tank lol.
Last time our phosphate level was checked was at our LFS using a Hanna, I can't recall what the exact reading was, but something like 1.?? Makes you wonder how everything is surviving & not covered in algae hey.
Fish jumping, lost a fairy wrasse, dragon wrasse & a rainbow wrasse. Hence no wrasse's in the tank now. Killer clowns, Tomato clowns, Thompson tang, Bi-colour, Yellow bar, Chromis, Coral beauty all given away.
Probably more but it's late & I have prattled on far to long lol.

Macca_75 -
Now that looks interesting! :think:

Goodnight all :)
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby Synodontis » Thu 10 Jul, 2014 1:32 am

Morning all,

Been a busy few days running around & getting a few things sorted :)
The new sump turned up on Monday evening & the long thinking session begun. I wasn't really going to start on it straight away but knew I had to lol. Have to thank ole mate David for coming around, staying late & helping me pull the old sump out. Would have been buggered without that helping hand.

The new sump once again is made of see thru glass, makes it easier to see stuff happening inside.
8ft long, 18 inches high & 2ft wide. The built in RO tank is 8ft long, 18 inches high & 4 inches wide. The heat from the tank water will also warm up the RO before being pumped into the sump. Flow is left to right, DT in, 2x 7" filter socks, skimmer, frag rack, 2x 7" filter socks & then return to DT. There will be no LR in this sump, the only bits in there at the moment are bits I want to use in the DT & wont be staying in there.

The final look at the old setup & I know, the skimmer needs a clean!...

So why the new sump? Just figured the cabinet was starting to look a wee bit on the smart side but the crap in the sump was letting the side down so to speak. Once I started pulling LR out I started to think this could be a good thing. The amount of crap that came out of the rock was just stupid! Once the sump was empty I pulled out the trusty wet/dry vacuum & did the final suck out. This is why no LR in the new sump!

How things looked after the old sump was removed Monday night...

The mess & tubs holding frags from the exercise...

Spent Tuesday morning at work for a few hours, then paid a visit to ole mate Dale, the magic acrylic man. Short notice to get the stuff I wanted but didn't want to order without measuring the sump first. All good & well drawing on paper then sending that off to the tank builder, but if your 5mm off on either the drawing or the build, then you've wasted everything having acrylic cut lol. Dale was brilliant & cut everything while I waited, didn't mind me helping & getting in his way either. Only in the bush huh, if it was Melbourne it would have been a case of come back next week, don't come in here, OH&S rules buggering up the world. :tongue:

Frag racks being cut....

So after running around, finally made it home & started on finishing off the cabinet lining. The floor, roof & back wall are lined with 6mm white acrylic. Have to be happy with most of it coming from an old sign from work. :clap: All of the joins have been sealed with white silicone for those little mishaps that seem to happen from time to time.

Finished product....

Sump in & RO filling...

The RO section came with a glass cover, but I thought to mine self, if I have a malfunction & break the cover I could be in all sorts of striff. So I had an acrylic cover made up which I think is a little safer. Happy with the way the RO in/out bit looks, tidy & out of the way. I have the RO run down the sump return pipe so there is no splashing & it keeps the height right to stop any syphon issue.

RO inlet....

RO outlet installed....

Test fit of the frag racks,....

The skimmer was sitting on an old Tupperware container & was working well, but just wasn't going to look the part lol. So I knocked up a new acrylic skimmer stand to fit in with everything.

Skimmer in tank....

I don't know how you two feel, but the new Tunze magnets don't fill me with large amounts of confidence being bare naked. I have read & heard they are going to rust, but I figure I ain't taking any chances no matter what they say. So out came the silicone gun again & 15 mins later no more bare magnets. Cheap insurance against the worst I figure.

So that's about it for Tuesday night, It's now Wednesday lol. Still have lots to do but it's getting there. The room is still a mess, Jen's putting up with it tho lol. A few hours kip then might give it all another nudge.

How the whole setup looks as of Tuesday night...

For now it's time bed, looking forward to dribbling all over me pillow as much as I have dribbled on in here lol.
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby sparker » Thu 10 Jul, 2014 10:02 am

Looks incredible Ken, kudos to you my good man. Keep raising that bar!!! :clap:
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby ssscuz » Thu 10 Jul, 2014 10:22 am

Looking good ken,

Bare sump is definately the way of the future!!
ssscuz
Old Sea Dog Reefer
RTAW Moderator

Postby damer » Thu 10 Jul, 2014 10:40 am

Nice work ken.
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
damer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Sponsor

Postby graeme » Thu 10 Jul, 2014 2:15 pm

Looks great, really cant beat having plenty of room in the sump
graeme
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby blacjack » Thu 10 Jul, 2014 8:36 pm

Wow you don't do anything simple :laugh: but it looks really good :clap:
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Synodontis » Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:13 pm

Morning all again,

Thanks for the comments guys, nice to know I'm just not prattling on to myself lol :)
Had to go back to work so things kinda slowed down once the sump was back up and running. Wanted / needed a few days before going back to just sit veg & kill people on Xbox.

While we had the sump & reactors out, thought it might be a good time to rinse the media at the same time. Was a little disappointed at the amount of detritus that was starting to build up int the sulphur reactor, so with the advice of Dave at Deer Park, we put a normal in-line sediment filter in between the pump & reactor. We have noticed the difference in the media already, it seems to be holding the bright yellow color & not looking so dirty. As it happens over time you don't notice the colour changing.

I did get the dosing outlets into there final position after just hanging over the side for so long. I've had the acrylic brackets ready to go, but needed the sump in place before welding them to the back wall. I'm happy with the way they have come up & they serve the purpose.

So got most of the bits yup & running again. Damn this is I'm only back to where I was before we changed the sump lol. So the power cords still need to be run the way I want them. Now I didn't break anything, but opened the cabinet door one night & the skimmer had decided to call it a day at some point. So after searching around I found an old pump & with some mad butchering had the thing running, not running well, but running. The original pump was still in the skimmer, being a first gen Waveline it was just a matter of time. Got a decent run out of it considering it was one of the first RLSS R10i around. So while I was pi$$ arsing around deciding on whether to replace the pump or get a new skimmer, Jen took it upon herself to have a chat with Dave. Since Dave had the sump built for us, he also knew I had allowed room in the skimmer chamber to hold a R12 skimmer lol. So Friday night I get home from work & both sitting there was the new skimmer, so Friday night was spent pulling apart half the stuff I'd just finished doing to install the RLSS DB12i. It's a big bugger lol, from box to sump with no vinegar bath & within an hour there was foam & a little colour. Saturday afternoon it was happy again, Sunday afternoon it was looking even better. Very happy with the way it's working, the cyclonic action of the bubbles not only look cool lol, but increase the contact time.

Added a few new fish in the last week, 6x Purple Anthia's. I have set up another channel to dose Phytogreen 5 times a day as well as an auto pellet feeder. The doser is more to cover the time between going into the tank & hiding until they feel comfortable out in the open. These guy's went in Wednesday night & only seen them out when no one is home, as if you stand at the door you can see them out swimming lol. So far we have only seen 5 out at once but they still seem fat & healthy, the colour on these guy's is unreal lol. Of course our pics don't do any justice to them lol.

Well thats about it for this Sunday night, I'll prob think of something else once this is posted but hey, you'll just have to tune in again in a couple of weeks. :)
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
RTAW Registered Business

Postby cody.sheridan-2008 » Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:51 pm

:clap:
MASS President 2013, 2014
900x620x500 Rimless SPS tank - Pico time!
cody.sheridan-2008
Old Sea Dog Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)