• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Blacjacks 5x3x2 woodie Atlantik light is here

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Blacjacks 5x3x2 woodie Atlantik light is here

Postby blacjack » Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:26 pm

Introduction: I've had smaller tanks and decided one day it was time for something bigger, as I am a big fan of LPS and wanted the room to really let the few I have grow out. I want the room to really let my corals mature. This is an ongoing project, which kicked off over 2 years ago. Since I knew it would take some time to do this build, I decided that building a tank would be a good idea. These tanks don't work out cheap, but the expense has been spread out, so I was able to work as time and money permitted. I plan to move livestock out of my current holding tank (never really set up as a display, just somewhere to keep my livestock as healthy as possible) and add some more in the future. I'm going back the same methodologies as when I first started in the hobby, as I found that this is when I had the most success. And so here's where I'm up too, not completely finished and needs touching up in spots :roflmao:

System Objectives: To allow for my current corals and future additions the room to grow out. I'm trying to create as natural an environment and hope to grow some food for the corals and fish.

System Type: Mixed Reef and hope for clams in the future

Display System:Strike up Date: Tank got wet around January 2011, but I turned on all the pumps to start running the system today 21/2/2011

Display Tank: 1500x900x600mm 19mm marine plywood with 2 part epoxy paint and resin finish.

Display Lighting: ATI 8x54Watt

Stand: 90x90 design posts, 100x63 LVL joists and 18mm CD ply top. Intermediate stand is 90x45 Design pine with 19mm Marine ply top. 2 part epoxy paint finish.

Hood: 16mm MDF 1500x1200mm with 100mm edging 2 part epoxy finish.

Sump: 15mm CD ply with resing finish inside, and 2 part epoxy external finish with a small euro brace and elevated platform for my skimmer.

Refugium: Old 3ft glass tank with 2x25mm bulk heads overflowing the sump. DSB seeded with a bit of liverock and all water from water changes out my holding tank. Condsidering a 2nd refugium at a later date for macro algae.

Refugium Lighting: Natural light from the window, will be blacked out later.

Support systems:

System Water: Artificial salt water, I use a combination of salts, Seachem reef salt (when available)D&D H2O and tropic marine

Display Water circulation: Tunze 6205 x 2 on timers to turn only 1 on at a time, though will overlap occasionaly.

Return Pump: Eheim 1262 atm, but will change to a laguna maxflo 6000 later.

Skimmer: C&C Marine 400a powered by maxflo 6000, will be replaced by ATB medium with an airstar pro 1500

Evaporation Top Up: Manual to start, then Tunze osmolator

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Manual dosing calcium Chloride

Alkilinity Addition: Manual dosing Sodium Bicarbonate

Other Chemical Maintenance: Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Chloride as required. Iodine weekly a few drops

Current Water Chemistry: I haven't tested yet, as I have no livestock ready to go in the tank. But my usual parameters are
Nitrates: 0 on salifert kit
Phosphates:0 on salifer kit
Alkalinity:3meq/ltr
Calcium:410-420ppm
Salinity / Specific Gravity:1.025-1.026
Magnesuim:1350ppm

Future planning, I want to buy myself a dosing pump especially when I start stocking with SPS. I plan to running my FBF of the return pump, and will have to adjust the return plumbing to suit at a later date. Hopefully a 2nd refugium to grow macro algae that I can use to give refuge to grow amphipods etc.
Last edited by blacjack on Tue 17 Jun, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Blacjacks 5x3x2 woodie

Postby funkngroovy » Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:30 pm

Hope to see some pics of the tank build. How many viewing sides?
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby blacjack » Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:36 pm

And here's some pic's of the set up at the moment. I have not mounted the lights yet, as I am still trying to source the parts for the frame.

I can't get a decent front on shot, until I pull down my old tank,

Skimmer running, this will be replaced my better skimmer

Plumbing is 40mm. I want to allow for more flow through my sump than the 3-5x ideal that most people use. I find my skimmer works better with the water being turned over quicker. Obviously I can slow the flow down as needed. Also, a line is to feed directly to my DSB refugium to feed the critters in there. I will maintain a good flow here, and the overflow is directly to my skimmer after that.

2 x 25mm feeds from the refugium to my sump. Plumbing isn't quite finished in this picture, I just needed 2x45 elbows to turn down into the sump. Same with the 40mm feed. I have to touch up the tank, as the bog I used didn't stick on this side of the tank for some reason. I've notice a little blistering in the finish, so I removed it, and under way with repairing the problem.

Refugium running skimmerless for a couple of months, a little liverock with aptaisa on it

Here's the hood to support my lights. It's offset from the front of the tank, I should have had it closer to the front of the tank, but I can get around that when I make the frame.

How the return enters the tank,

I am waiting on some more coral sand 1-2mm and I've also ordered some critters to kick off the clean up crew. I'm also waiting on a quote on delivery for 20kg premium liverock to aquascape the tank. I'll let the tank run for a while now just to work out any problems that may arise. Hopefully none :laugh: and let it cycle properly. I've used alot of water from water changes to fill the tank, and changed out some of that periodically to keep it fresh.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Mon 21 Feb, 2011 10:40 pm

funkngroovy wrote:Hope to see some pics of the tank build. How many viewing sides?

How many pic's do you want ;) I elected to go with the front only for viewing, and used starfire for it. I was thinking about cutting in 1 side panel, but since is the first time I've built a tank I wasn't sure at the time as to whether it would take the weight or not. Now I know different. Then there's the cost of the glass :laugh: It was suggested to me to do it, but I decided that I wanted make people walk in front of the tank for viewing. I'll see how it goes when I aquascape the tank if this was a mistake or not. Won't be the first if it is in regards to this tank :roflmao:
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Alf D » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 6:48 am

Well done Chris, that would have been a time consuming challenge to build.
How is the ply and glass held together?
Alf D
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 4:38 pm

G'day Alf, thanks mate, yeah it's chewed up the time. I would have done it quicker, but I'm still renovated my house :wall:

The whole tank was expoxied, then roughed up a little, and a resin was poured on over it. This gives a glass like finish and especially where the glass is, it's very flat. I roughed it up a bit, and then using a few tubes of aquarium safe silicone, I applied some really big beads on the outer and inner perimeter of the glass. Then intermediate areas were filled in to, to create a vaccum effect to hold the glass in place once the silicone dried. I doubt you could push it back into the tank, even empty, it would take some force.

I can't find any pictures of when I installed the glass, I was sure I took some, but here's when I first started fibreglassing it,

I cut the excess matting out of the opening, put tape around the inside edge, mixed up and pour the resin in to multiple coats until I got it flat. Once the tank was completed on the inside, then I put the tank back into the above position, and then installed the glass. I'll have another look later and see if I can find the pictures of when I did it. Was actually one of the easiest steps in the build.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Blackjacks 5x3x2 woodie

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 4:44 pm

I've added some clean up critters to my refugium today. I bought some shrimp and snails for the holding tank, but bought brittle stars x20 and some mysid shrimp x10 as well as some live sand to add as well. The acclimatization process was long, but I believe it's worth it. I slipped away from work to see if the delivery had come, and lucky I did, as nobody rung me to let me know :wall: all's good though, everything was alive and well and has been added.

Packaging,

Here's the clean up crew in their bags getting the temps and salinity right,

I added about an half as much water as what's in the bag to get the inverts used to my water parameters, then some fresh to match salinity. All went in and haven't been seen again :roflmao: to damn small.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:37 pm

Time I added some pictures from the build. I'm missing some, and I don't know what I've done with them, but I'll post as many as I can.

The ply sheeting is 8ft(2420mm)x 4ft(1220mm)x3/4"(19mm).

Here's the sheeting waiting to be cut up, the ply infront is what i'm thinking to use to cover the window in the fish room,

The pine on the floor was for supports whilst I built the tank. I've cut abit of it up to make fillets.

The next few pic's are of when I'm cutting out the bottom, side's and top. I clamped the sheets together and ran an electric plane up the edges. I was really disappointed in the quality of this form ply, especially when it retails at $99/sheet. I've worked with better, but anyway. I'm using a spirit level as a straight edge. It's getting more punishment in my trailer than here :lol: I used a straight edge for convience. I do plan to build another tank in the future If I'm happy with this one, but I'll cut it cut out in a joinery shop.

Assembly has begun,

A close up, nice tight fit :lol: not the best idea in hind sight, it was very hard to not push the glue out.

blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:39 pm

As you can see in the pics, this ply isn't the straightest, but some of the bow's worked in my favour.

Speaking of glue, here you can see where its expanding. This is a structual grade glue that when set is waterproof. You dampen the surface, apply the glue, and stick your pieces together. Once set, there's no pulling it apart.

The beauty of this glue though is, if it's still wet it's easy to clean. A damp rag or paper handtowel and you can wipe it off. I left some to cure, and wiped some off. It's really easy to clean when it's dry too.

Now I don't have any pics of the construction of the overflow box, but it's simply enough. Here it is after I've taken it off the tank. I haven't made end fill panels yet, but that's nothing.

Here it is in place,

A souple of closer up's

Glues facing the wrong way to read the label :roll: :lol: you can also see the overflow as well :D

Image[/quote]
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:40 pm

At this stage, I'll explain how I've done a few things, ie overflow and overflow box. It's pretty simple. I took the time to set out alot things, especially screw holes, and the width that I wanted the euro bracing. I've used in this case for the overflow, a 54mm hole saw, standard hole for doing door harware. The overflow is 60mm or nearly 2 1/2" from the top of the tank. I set out the holes and bored them out first. Then using my circular saw with a rip guide, I cut in the slots,

A jigsaw and straight edge could do the job, but I find the blades don't cut square. I set the blade depth for the saw to only cut the depth + 1/4". By placing the front of the saw hard down and flat on the surface, it allows a good square cut. To do this you have to use a bit of care, but you hold the guard foward before starting the saw, exposing the blade, then start the saw. Lower the saw into the ply and start to push forward. It takes a little practice. Obviously be carefull, and don't cut to far into your holes.

I then used a laminax trimmer to tidy up the edges,

Some call them a router, but I have a 1/2hp router, so I use trimmer. I did it freehand, but took my time. I have a dremel with a flap sander, which I used in the holes.

Plug cutter for counter sinking holes for screws,

When the tank was assembled, I cut in a second piece of ply to double the thickness of the face. I'm sure that the glass would have been sufficient bracing, but I'm all for overkill, so I put in the second piece. I'm glad I did now.

I gave my brother in law a hand to pick up an outboard motor, and glad I did. We helped the family with a bit of a clean up and scored some water proofing kits. There's no resin, but there's plenty of fibreglass matting :brow:

blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:41 pm

The reinforcing plate is screwed in, but not glued as yet, as I was after progress. Same with the overflow box, it's glued together, but not glued on. I'll get back to that later.

Since I stuffed up and accidently cut the top out wrong, I was able to make some adjustments that worked out well. When I was measuring up to work out if I could fit a 6ftr in the room, I come back out and cut the sheets. Problem was, I forgot to take 1 sheet off, which I was going to use as the top to tie the tank and overflow box together as 1 piece. 1 big eurobrace. Oh well, [censored] it, so now I made the overflow box so it lapped past the edge of the tank to allow me to eurobrace it, but more on that later.

By having the overflow box detachable at this stage, I took it off the tank whilst my brother was here yesterday. I was showing him the tank, and he decided to pitch in and give me a hand. I removed the overflow box, and he gave me a lift with the tank to the floor, so I could the hole in the fornt panel.

We searched around for something round that I could use to make a template. My bro found a diamond cutting wheel in amongst my tools, and we thought that was Ideal. I had some 9mm MDF board laying around, so we played around making templates untill I made one I liked. Here's the board that we had,

The diamond wheel, it was handy having the holes in it, as I was able to screw it to the board. We used anlge grinder wheels to pack the blade up a bit to run the router around it.

My router, it has the guard in it atm. The guard protects the template from being cut.

And here's the template in position. I clamped it to the tank to make it easier to work with. The first template, I cut the circle where I wanted to square out the slots, but that was a mistake, so I made another and decided to cut out the whole cirlce. I used the round of the router to follow the blade, using the same point of the router in the arc.

I had to buy a deeper router bit to cut through both layers of ply, but as well as the depth of the template. I cut this out in multiple passes, meaning I'd go right around the cirle, then lower the depth of the router. As I broke through, I made sure that I was able to clamp a piece of mdf under the ply so it wouldn't drop out as I was routing. I did damage a little bit of the arch, as I moved the router on an angle whilst it was winding down. It bit into the ply, but I can putty that.

After the holes were cut out with the router at both ends, I then got an off cut of ply to use as a straight edge. I used this to guide the saw whilst I cut out the area where the glass will go.

In this picture I've replace the clamp that shows you where I've clamped the staight edge, the smaller clamp on the left, where the big clamps were to ensure that the center didn't fall in. This can jamb the blade and damage the job,

blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:43 pm

FTS :lol: and here's the tank back on the saw horses with the front cut out. The tank is an ackward size to lift, but not heavy.

The opening width is about 4ft (1220mm) and 1'4"? (400mm) high.

Looking from the back out, you'll notice I've not done the fillets yet either, but they will be installed later,

I've cut and installed the eurobracing, but this pic shows the overflow, looking through the front,

Eurobracing installed. I clamped the front piece to get the front panel straight, it was bowed in. The front is the full width of the tank. Since you can't butt joint the sides, I cut in 2 front to back sides, that lap under the front and back braces. I then cut in a piece to fill in the top and screwed it off. I have to pull all this apart to glue it up, but that'll be later on.

The row of screws in the back of the tank are the screws that hold the back wall to the overflow.

blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:45 pm

I've just dry fitted everything, the bottom ones are screwed in, but need to be pulled out and glued in. I've kept the bottom square for more strength, where the verticals have been cut at 45 degrees.

Since I'm am definately going to have a wrasse again, I needed to set up this tank to take a cover, so I removed and re-cut the braces for the euro brace and made them wider.

This will allow me to sit the screens into the top, which I think will be alot neater. I'll have to get some black aluminium and make up the screens once I've got the tank finished.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:47 pm

I borrowed my brothers belt sander to smooth out the rougher edges, and also to roughen up the surface for when I waterproof and epoxy the tank. I with the help of my brother got in and bogged up the outside of the tank I've cleaned the excess glue of the inside, but still need to bog it up. Then I just have to sand it all back, and it will almost be ready to waterproof

Here's the pic's,

blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:48 pm

I've sanded back the tank today, just had to re-do a few patches,

I finally got around to finishing the overflow box :lol: put in the end panels

Front section sanded out, top still needs some work though,

Remaining patches, and touch ups,

Fillet's added, and glued in,

Image[/quote]
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:49 pm

I didn't like the square edge look of the tank, so I put a pencil round on the top edges. This just softens the look a little, and makes it easier to apply finishes.
It may be a bit hard to see in the pic's though,

I thought I'd do the opening in the front of the tank too, I'm really happy with the look of it.

The bloody depth gauge on my trimmer slipped though, when I was doing the center of the ovverflow box :evil: so it's a little over done,

blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:51 pm

And the epoxy. I have a few imperfections to fix, but I did expect this, as it's hard to be spot on the first go. I have to fill and sand a few holes, but overall I'm happy with what I've done so far. I did put the epoxy on a little thick in spots, which has caused some runs, but I can live with that. I'll be putting on another coat of primer, heaps of resing, and 2 part epoxy finsh, so most of the inside will be covered and hidden anyway.

I moved the tank outside due to fumes, but here's the back of the tank,

Side of the tank, you can see I need to fill out the overflow box a little,

Partial of the front, probably can see a few spots that need fixing :lol:

FTS,

blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:53 pm

I've learnt alot since the first coat of undercoat, and have tried to apply that knowledge to this next coat. I was using a roller with a 12mm nap, which left the rough looking finish. I've used a 6mm nap this time, and I'm happier with the results. I still need to bog up some more holes :roll: as the epoxy shows up everything. Anyway, here's some shots.

The colour is wrong, I it's the shade from the house or something, as it's bright white,

A closer up of the finish inside the tank, and this is only the primer :D

And here's the side on of the tank. It still needs some work :( it's really hard to get this right, it's sanded smooth, but still shows up, where the overflow is.

I knew I made a few mistakes when cutting this out, I got myself a little distracted :lol: but time over, I'd do the top and sides in one piece, which is what I originally planned, but forgot on the day :oops: :lol: This way, there wouldn't be the issue of the side of the tank. Everything should have butted in, and hid things a little better. Oh well, maybe next time :lol:
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:55 pm

The biggest complaint I had with the woven cloth is that it's not cut square. In the background of the pictures of the packets of cloth, you can see that I had cut some pvc for the rolling method, which makes application VERY easy, just didn't work in this application. I tried, and couldn't get the matt to roll out even. It really gave me the [censored]. But, this method uses half the resin, and when finished, it's a much better job.

So after alot of swearing and cursing I got the matt laid out, and worked 99% of the airbubbles out of it. Since the resin has a reasonable work time, I was able to lay out the matt, and work most of the bubbles out. I applied the remainder of the resin and spread it out. I used the paint brush in a force dabbing motion to try to get the air bubbles out, but decided to try out the fibreglass roller I bought, and [censored] didn't it make it easier. I think I've got the hang of it now, so hopefully the rest will go alot easier. Here's some pic's,

This first one is when I was going to use the strips of chopped matt, and you can see the pvc for the roll on method,

And here's the tank with the woven cloth in place,

blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 9:58 pm

I've finished with putting in all the matt. I need to second coat what I've done, and then I'll apply resin to any spot's that I feel need it.Here's the tank as of now,

Closer up,

I ran a little short of cloth, so I used some of the chopped matt which I have plenty off. The front's the strongest part of the tank, but like I said I have to 2nd coat it yet. The overflow needs some attention as well, which will just be resin. I will be epoxying the inside of the overflow, so it will be plenty strong.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 10:01 pm

The epoxy hasn't been going as hard as I thought either, I'm sure it will in time, but the resin will be better considering I will be keeping urchin's in this tank. I plan on more urchin's later, at least 1 anyway. The temperature was really to low for this application, but I did the best I could with what I had

Here's some pic's,

I've got the plastic over the tank to try to keep the dust out,

Here's with the plastic lifted up,

This pic doesn't show it, but the [censored] plastic blew into the epoxy, and stuffed the finish,

This was when I decided on the resin, and it leaves an uneven finish, especially when applied thick. I like the look of it, so that's what I'm going to do for the rest of the tank.

This is the bottom of the tank, I don't care about this surface, as it'll be covered by sand,

The tank's on it's side, but it's the back of the tank. Since the plastic stuffed the finish, I've gone with the look :lol:

And today, I've done one of the ends. I'm using the pour method, but it'll take a few coats for the glossy smooth look, and I'm not allowed to buy any more stuff atm :lol:

blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 10:03 pm

Here's the tank in the shed,

A few wet shots, leak test

A bit hard to see, but where you can see the container, that's the water level. It's about 2" below the level for the overflow.

The duct tape is the water level,

The left side of the overflow box is finished, but I have to re-do the right side, as the resin didn't take

NO LEAKS!
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 10:06 pm

I've got the tank painted, though I'm not 100% happy with it, but I've learned alot as a result. The stand is made and painted and in place. It didn't come up to bad, but I'm not doing anything fancy with it as I don't see the point. I will dress it up a bit though. Anyway, here's the tank viewed from outside the room, I have to fix up the point where the glass is seen through the double thickness ply. The silicone didn't come out neat and can't be painted, so I need to put a small piece of laminate in and paint it to finish it off. The trim around the tank also needs to be painted. I've made the stand a little bigger than the tank, so I need to fill the gap between the tank and stand too.

Shot taken from outside as there's not much room to take a picture from directly in front,

RDSB set up in my old 3ftr. I've drilled 2 holes and put in 25mm bulkheads ready to be plumbed to the sump. I've got about 6" of sand in the tank atm, but want to slowly make it deeper. It has a Tunze 6045 and a heater to help cycle the tank. 1 piece of liverock covered in aiptasia. I really want to get some livesand to seed this tank, or some fresh liverock.

The main tank is about 3/4 full and has been that way for a while. I'm using new sand but liverock out of my sump from the current system. Both the refugium and main tank have been mostly filled from water changes out of the display tank. Cyano was siphoned out and put in the DSB and display tank to help the cycle along. There is a little life on the rocks, but livesand again would be good. I've been doing small water changes on both tanks and top up the fresh water as needed. I haven't been paid for this week, so money is short so nothing is plumbed in atm. I was promised a bonus that wasn't paid before christmas which really pisses me off, as I planned to get a few things done over christmas break. Anyway here's the rock in the tank, not finished as I need more and also more sand.

I decided to build a custom sump. I had to buy 1 sheet of ply $60 but I had the rest of the stuff I needed just laying around I wanted a sump that held a biggish water capacity without taking up to much room and yet needed to accommodate the water level required for optimum performance out of my skimmer. It's not a standard size as I made the width to suit the space in my room, I'm happy with the depth and length as it's still workable.

It's not finished but it hopefully won't take to long, depending on work commitments

The timber trim around the top is for a finish only so the top of the ply isn't visable. The ply is 15mm thick, but with the resin, I believe it is more than sufficiently strong enough for what I want.

This picture gives you an idea of the 2 different heights in the sump. The top side is for the skimmer 200mm or 8" deep. The bottom section is a little more than double the capacity.

A close up of the overflow, this is a bit of marine ply that was left over so I made use of it. It's 19mm thick, and I've chamfered and sanded the edges down so it's got a smooth finish over the top. The inside is staying what ever colour it is, including the white putty I used to fill big holes :lol: I put a top on both the fillets to push water away from the edge of the overflow and to neaten it up.

I still have to give the outside a good sand and a coat or 2 of paint. I have a clear marine sealer which I may use to tidy it up as well.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Tue 22 Feb, 2011 10:11 pm

And that get's me up to date on this build. I didn't take any pictures of the stand when I built it, as it's pretty straight foward, and I didn't think too. The sump was a bit different, but when I'm getting stuck into a project I overlook things like stopping to take photos :spit: The top sections is 200mm deep, whilst the baffle is twice as deep. The platform is supported by timbers screwed under the ply to hold it up, it's strong enough to stand in it. I didn't want to elevate the skimmer, so I thought this was the easiest way to do it. Made the damn thing heavy though :roflmao: Typical to how I like to build my sump, there is only the 1 baffle as the other's aren't needed so I don't see the point on wasting time and money on unnecessary gear.

I am missing some pictures that I should have taken or simply can't find them, and I appoligise for that, but if anyone has questions, I'll answer them as best as I can :thumbsup:
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Byronredsea » Fri 25 Feb, 2011 9:55 am

Very cool i looked at the big wooden tanks yesterday have you bean looking at them as well ?? :clap:
Byronredsea
Veteran Reefer

Postby rnscross » Fri 25 Feb, 2011 3:49 pm

this is crazy good.
rnscross
Veteran Reefer

Postby Byronredsea » Fri 25 Feb, 2011 4:07 pm

I looked for over an hour at this TJ
http://monster-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38 :bow:
Byronredsea
Veteran Reefer

Postby blacjack » Fri 25 Feb, 2011 5:30 pm

Byronredsea wrote:Very cool i looked at the big wooden tanks yesterday have you bean looking at them as well ?? :clap:

Cheers mate, I have seen quite a few good builds, especially on fingerslake's plywood forums. I did things a little different, but the outcome is the same.

forum

You may have to register to see this page but it's worth it. They have some really big tanks too and are a good read.

rnscross wrote:this is crazy good.

Thanks mate. I can't wait to get some livestock in it, but I'm resisting rushing things as I've had a tank crash through having to move things quickly.

Byronredsea wrote:I looked for over an hour at this TJ
http://monster-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38 :bow:

I saw that one yesterday, and it's very impressive and damn big too :laugh: I would love to do a big tank like that, and think it's easy enough but it wouldn't be a cheap project. This one's been expensive enough to do me for quite a while yet.
blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby blacjack » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 7:43 pm

I got around to hanging my lights. I need to get some more pictures of the set up later, but this will have to do. I ordered a mix of bulbs, but only 1 fiji purple which I really like and an actinic which wouldn't fire up :wall: I put in a different bulb in the socket just in case the lights were faulty, but the bulb fired. SO now I have to chase up a new actinic bulb :furious: anyway, here's how the light looks in it's position

My new liverock came in at 9pm Wednesday night :pirate: but it was worth the wait. Andrew at coral crazy got me the rock, and it's very good quaility rock. I'm really impressed with the mix of pieces selected. Shame a few acro's had to die to go in my tank. This isn't the finished aquascape, I've litterally just placed the rock in to keep it live and allow good flow. I still have to change out the powerhead to the 6205, but the one in the tank is doing the job at the moment.

some close ups of the rock

I've cleaned up and placed my old 2ft tank on the stand to be used as my quarantine tank when I start to get some new livestock. I'm keen to get some more fish.

brittle star hitch hiker. I got 3 of these stars and placed 1 in my refuge. I just hope they aren't predatory.

blacjack
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 10:19 pm

cool I like it never really seen wooden tanks before... :) how many litres is this tank? and what are our stoking plans?
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)