• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

alex's 6x2.5x2 Vertex LED

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

alex's 6x2.5x2 Vertex LED

Postby aufo8mycat » Mon 18 Oct, 2010 6:51 pm

Introduction:
I am Alex, I am very new to marine, but not new to aquariums having always had a tank around for as long as i can remember, I am a chef by trade, (that make me not able to spell) so long hours and no life and a income that doesn't come close to my passions has become part of my life.

being new to this i am learning reading and listening all the time, and always open to suggestion, and will try new idea's well that is if my tank doesn't fall through the floor b4 then (which i am a bit worried about) but i figure if i find the joist's and try disperse the weight evenly shouldn't be a problem, and if it becomes on i will deal with it then.

I currently have a 4x2x2 (trying to get rid of) gone
and have just bought a second hand 6foot long 2.5 foot wide x 2 foot high tank (Hmmm A cheap tank is very nice but is never a cheap tank) thinking when i bought this baby hmm is less than a weeks wages so why not. now that i have spent almost 15% of my annual wage on it and it is not even in my house yet let alone wet i'm starting to think that i shouldnt have done it but i hope will be worth it when it is all done

System Objectives: to create a healthy slice of the ocean in my lounge room that is full of life and color and movement,

System Type: Mixed reef, with much better plan for fish rather than thats pretty i want that one

Display System:

Strike up Date: hopeing to have it all wet and ready to go in Jan 2011

Display Tank: Display tank specifications.6x2.5x2 12mm glass with weir on left and right rear corners

Display Lighting: Vertex sr1600

Stand: Stand specifications. 1830W x760D x 9000H Square Tube (Galv) 50x50x1.6 Powder coated black
Hood: DIY aluminium job, (poor cut)
Sump: . 4'x20"x20"
Refugium: will be in sump

Refugium Lighting: Twin t5 ho

Support systems:cooling and heating will be done by my TC20, ,DeBary Aqua-UV Standard UV Sterilizer AN25 2 x tlf phosban reactors 1carbon and 1 rowphos

System Water: First fill will be with natural sea waterand then water changes etc will be artificial salt water. I would rather natural, but i have no where to store it

Display Water circulation: 2 x tunze 6205's on multi controller with tunze 6212 wavebox and possibly a extension box and a tunze 6105 as a back up if needed for flow

Return Pump: reef octopus blaster 7000l/ph

Skimmer: SRO external 5000, fed by opt 3000 pump

Evaporation Top Up:Tunze osomoloter (what a great invention this would have to be my favourite bit of hardware after manual top up for so long)
Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Korallin Calcium Reactor

Alkilinity Addition: as above

Other Chemical Maintenance: Magnesium etc

Current Water Chemistry: NOT wet yet
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

Planned Upgrades:I plan to upgrade and get a Vertex Cerebra controller Click here and Vertex Libra Pro dosing pumps Click here as soon as they are released

this is tank at the current moment
I will be doing updates as we go
thanks for tanking a look and again welcome any advise ideas or assistance
Last edited by aufo8mycat on Thu 27 Oct, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 54 times in total.
MASOG Committee Member
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Re: alex's 6x2x2.5 just made it to 800+ group

Postby aufo8mycat » Sun 24 Oct, 2010 11:59 pm

Have done some shopping,
Sump has been designed and being built
4' x20"x 20" with hole on side wich will be for reef octopus blaster skimmer to sit next too.. sump lay out will be intake buble trap deep sand bed, fuge buble trap return,
have also decided to go with 2 weirs one left and one right rear corners, each with 3 holes 2 intakes and one return in each.
MASOG Committee Member

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Postby StripestheEel » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:06 am

Have you thought about an external weir that can run along the back of the tank.

With your tank being viewable from 3 sides the weirs may be an eye sore and minimise side viewing.

Just a thought :thumbsup:
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby seanluc » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:13 am

Just out of curiousity, why the two bubble traps in the sump?
Séan
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT LEGAL DISCLAIMER:
I do not claim to be an expert in marine biology and speak from my own personal experience and research only. You should do your own research and should not take or refrain from taking any action whatsoever in reliance on anything I may say in these forums.
seanluc
Veteran Reefer

Postby aufo8mycat » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:15 am

hmmm nah the tank will only be viewable from front the back will be painted black, and the weirs will also be black so hoping it will be like my current tank which has a weir in the center that is not really noticeable, and also trying to keep costs down, but spending as much as i can at the same time. but i will look into it, now that i have been given another option, riki at marine plus could hate me by the end of this, anything about it you can recommend that i read...
MASOG Committee Member

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Postby StripestheEel » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:19 am

If you just do a search for "Calfo Overflow" it should bring up some a few results.

Check out Sc00by's tank journal. He has one :thumbsup:

Also re: Return pump, don't see why you would need two. One should be sufficient.

Skimmer: Much better value options out there that will outperform your current choice.

Chiller: I had the same size tank years ago and was run by a Teco TC20. 15 might not be enough.
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby aufo8mycat » Mon 25 Oct, 2010 12:30 am

StripestheEel wrote:If you just do a search for "Calfo Overflow" it should bring up some a few results.

Check out Sc00by's tank journal. He has one :thumbsup:

Also re: Return pump, don't see why you would need two. One should be sufficient.

Skimmer: Much better value options out there that will outperform your current choice.

Chiller: I had the same size tank years ago and was run by a Teco TC20. 15 might not be enough.

Thanks will look into it, but have to decide soon as have already paid for current choices.
I was worried that the tc15 wouldn't be enough..... but it has to do for this summer the room is air conditioned. so that will assist i hope but if worse comes to worst i'll upgrade, what would you recommend skimmer wise... I am so confused, have been reading about so many, still haven't completely decided on skimmer, but the blaster looks the part, but definitely open to suggestions for the skimmer i dont want to spend a fortune but i want something that is both efficient, and will do the job it is designed to do
MASOG Committee Member

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Postby aufo8mycat » Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:41 pm

Ordered skimmer
decided on reef octopus blaster 5000, lights will be here in a day or 2..... tank will be drilled and weirs made this week... have to put on my handy man belt and do the mods to the cabinet.. but thabkfully just having my work place striped and rebuilt i have a few business cards or trades people to call should i need help.
I really want to put this tank were my current tank is, but i also want to get this tank cycled and ready b4 i transfer stock over but think i will take the easy option and put it next to it
MASOG Committee Member

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Postby aufo8mycat » Thu 04 Nov, 2010 10:52 pm

Just some updates on hardware: ordered octopus blaster 7000 for return pump,OPT 3000 for feeding skimmer have collected the tank and stand just currently having weirs Left and right sump made, i think that is all the major bits taken care of now, looking forward to fresh water wet run to see how my floor holds up, but still thinking about getting a new stand, something taller, cos there is always going to be something i wanna try fit under there, and currently with sump and that monster skimmer there is no room for co2 or calcium or anything at a later date
MASOG Committee Member

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Postby aufo8mycat » Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:47 pm

some quick updates
decided against running halides, as this is as largest tank as i can have and wont be any more upgrades i have decided to spare no expense, i now trying to decide on which LED set up to run, the contenders are the vertex aquastick 6ft or auqillimination sol modular led maybe pacific sun, but dont really like the look of them...
I think tank is coming this week some more hardware ordered this week phosban reactor x 2 one for rowphos anad one for carbon will runn them both off one pump...
MASOG Committee Member

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Postby aufo8mycat » Tue 14 Dec, 2010 12:07 am

At last can do some updates, starting a huge pile of stuff and things in the corner of the lounge room where i think the tank will go pumps all here, (wow RO blaster 7000 is huge) calcium reactor CO2 stuff phosban reactor (not sure why) in current tank PO4 has never been above 0.017 but what the hell have just about everything except the tank which i'm not sure if riki said this week or if that was the voices in my head telling me what i wanna hear, they do that a bit lol but still have to wait till jan for LEDS but might just stick my halides over it till then or just be patient and keep the baby tank going till then, was just thinking my sump for this tank is going to be a touch smaller than my current display tank.....
Really hope the floor is gonna take it
MASOG Committee Member

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Re: alex's 6x2.5x2 just made it to 800+ group

Postby aufo8mycat » Fri 24 Dec, 2010 10:22 am

Everything is ready to go bar the lights
MASOG Committee Member

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Postby aufo8mycat » Sun 09 Jan, 2011 8:42 pm

Just about ready to start setting it up
any one keen to assist in the plumbing depot
MASOG Committee Member

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Postby aufo8mycat » Tue 11 Jan, 2011 5:27 pm

Some more delays haha I have decided that i dont like the current stand and now haveing a stand built in steel and then powder coated...
but soon there will start being some pictures and hopefully some waterImagehere is a pic of some stuff and things for the tank so far making a ugly pile in the corner of the room
MASOG Committee Member

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Postby aufo8mycat » Tue 11 Jan, 2011 9:07 pm

I thought i would also say good bye to my lil old reef octopus tank who will be moving out this week

and the side of the tank that i really like
MASOG Committee Member

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Postby Thommo01 » Tue 11 Jan, 2011 9:20 pm

Hey bud,

Sorry I have missed these updates. Seems like you will end up with a proffesional looking tank. Keep the updates comming. Will deffinitly be keeping and eye out on this one. :thumbsup:
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby aufo8mycat » Tue 25 Jan, 2011 1:04 am

Well the old tank is now gone!!!!!
which has made me think how much is to much when you say you will assist in the move!! I didnt expect weeks of me collecting 25lt bottles from work. foam boxes etc.. to top it all of there was no mention of a flight of stairs with a corner. and me moving it buying new plumbing bits, then then entire seting up of it all.
but it is all done and only a few deaths 2 blue chromis and a yellow coral goby but thats it..

But on to the real stuff I will be collecting my lights on Friday
MASOG Committee Member

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Postby funkngroovy » Tue 25 Jan, 2011 7:20 am

Gonna look great.
funkngroovy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Thommo01 » Sun 06 Feb, 2011 9:19 pm

Any more updates? Pics?
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby aufo8mycat » Sun 06 Feb, 2011 9:33 pm

hmm nah nothing yet, lights arrive tuesday, still waiting on stand builder, and trying not to change my mind on stuff to much is costing me the earth in stuff that i am just adding to the emergency loan post i have made , I am trusting my other half to buy me plumbing bits, ball valve tap thingys and stuff and peices while in Malaysia, which i am expecting to buy again lol but have started with my fish wish list
so far
1:chevron tang
2:hmmm thats as far as i have got well there are some wishes but are unrealistic so i wont include them, like a black tang (but would be cheaper to fly to martius, and go diving to look for one than buy 1
MASOG Committee Member

The 4P's Tank Journal

The SPS Tank Journal
aufo8mycat
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASAOG Committee
MASAOG Member

Postby dorz » Tue 08 Feb, 2011 5:14 pm

hey alex, how much is the tank ending up costing? did Milton make it?

im pricing up 6x2x2.5's :)
I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other

Dorz' 3x1.5x1.7 Modded Aquamarine 900!
Dorz' NEW 4x2.5x2' Automated Bucket!