• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse [TOTM Nov 2011]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Tank Is WET!!!

Postby Paul_D » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 6:29 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
my wallet empties directly into here
Paul_D
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 8:15 pm

I have been skimping on the pics lately haven't I ;)

No leaks from the glued fittings :banana: Very small drip from the CL 50mm threaded fitting into the Dart probably because of the thread mis-match.

The Aquabee pushes some water :o Although a quiet pump it is still on the noisy side due to the vibration carrying through the stand - should be able to work that out. The Reeflo Dart is very quiet and the Tunze 6105 Streams are silent.

I might have to rethink the drain plans since the 25mm siphon doesn't pull enough water... update - I have now removed the 25mm gate valve and the siphon is adequate. I'd guess that the restriction within the gate valve reduced the bore to below 15mm. Will have to try to measure it sometime.

CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Deek » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 8:44 pm

:clap: :clap:
Looking very good mate! :thumbsup:

Looking very cool, my tank will look very similar in a few weeks I hope...

So you have the gate valve fully closed in those photos?
Are you running the durso like you have in photo 1 or in photo 3?

Good to here the dart runs quiet - you didn't use any flexy tubing on the suction/discharge did you?
I am still worried mine will be too noisy...

:cheers:
Derek.
Deek
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 9:15 pm

Deek wrote::clap: :clap:
Looking very good mate! :thumbsup:

Thanks Derek :thumbsup:

Deek wrote:Looking very cool, my tank will look very similar in a few weeks I hope...

:clap: Keep us updated won't you. It only took about five weeks to get water into this one :roll:

Deek wrote:So you have the gate valve fully closed in those photos?
Are you running the durso like you have in photo 1 or in photo 3?

The gate would have been fully open although I may have taken the photo before opening and allowing flow through the siphon. So neither now. I have now removed the gate valve completely and have at a guess tripled the flow through the siphon. The ball valve is difficult to fine-tune but the Durso allows for variation in the flow without adding bubbles or making noise. Re the durso - I have managed to find a bit of pipe a bit longer so the water level is running higher in the weir. No spare 32mm pipe so will have to wait until I move things over from the other tank before I can pinch the bits from it too (the durso should just simply swap over). So the tee will just have to double as a coupling for the time being :wink:

Deek wrote:Good to here the dart runs quiet - you didn't use any flexy tubing on the suction/discharge did you?
I am still worried mine will be too noisy...

Derek.

No although I did think of using rubber unions instead of barrel unions. The deciding factor was the lack of space on the outlet. I'm glad it worked out but the Dart has very little vibration when it was running on the other tank so I took the gamble.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Deek » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 10:20 pm

CheezotheClown wrote:The gate would have been fully open although I may have taken the photo before opening and allowing flow through the siphon. So neither now. I have now removed the gate valve completely and have at a guess tripled the flow through the siphon. The ball valve is difficult to fine-tune but the Durso allows for variation in the flow without adding bubbles or making noise. Re the durso - I have managed to find a bit of pipe a bit longer so the water level is running higher in the weir. No spare 32mm pipe so will have to wait until I move things over from the other tank before I can pinch the bits from it too (the durso should just simply swap over). So the tee will just have to double as a coupling for the time being :wink:

Ahh I see what you mean. Are you sticking with the ball valve or going to get a larger diameter gate valve?

Yeah I have heard some mixed reports about the reeflo pumps, so I guess it's a bit of a gamble as you say.
Deek
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 10:36 pm

Deek wrote:Ahh I see what you mean. Are you sticking with the ball valve or going to get a larger diameter gate valve?

I would like to get a gate valve but I would need to go up in size to 32mm. Know anywhere to get one other than the States? Nowhere locally seem to have them, well listed anyway.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Deek » Sat 27 Mar, 2010 11:13 pm

AVFI have them, but they are not cheap at all I don't think...
Deek
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 28 Mar, 2010 1:08 am

Deek wrote:AVFI have them, but they are not cheap at all I don't think...

Thanks Deek but who is AVFI?
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Deek » Sun 28 Mar, 2010 7:30 am

http://www.avfi.com.au/
Go to 'price list' for a rough idea on price.

I got the FIP DUBVs from them.
Deek
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 1:15 am

Deek wrote:http://www.avfi.com.au/
Go to 'price list' for a rough idea on price.

I got the FIP DUBVs from them.

Hmm, I had a look but couldn't find the same style gate valve in plastic in a larger size.

I'll have to see how it goes without. ATM I don't see a huge need to be able to make such a fine adjustment -time will tell I guess.

I have completed the build of the sump though. Gee it holds some water; something like 150 litres :o I calculated this but it is different when the water physically is added.

FW leak test:

Joining the two:

Foam in place ready to position the sump:

Sump in place:

Already I know that the flow is too great for the sump. A few alterations need to be made starting with another 32mm bulkhead from the first section into the DSB add-on section. It is either that or I somehow mange to cut a bigger hole out of the one for the 32mm bulkhead already in place.

I may have to reduce the height of a couple of baffles to allow a greater fall which will allow more flow through the relevant sections of the sump. I don't need the DSB section to take 100% of the flow but it would be comforting to know that it can. Realistically it only needs to take the flow that runs through the skimmer which will be in the order of 1000-1500LPH. The rest can go directly to the media chamber. Which would also mean that maybe I should hold off on adding another bulkhead :think:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 2:46 am

Sump looks good mate. Wish I was handy like that.
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby sydneydrewid » Mon 05 Apr, 2010 8:56 am

great job on the arcylic Cheezo :thumbsup: sump looks awesome!!
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Fri 09 Apr, 2010 1:10 am

StripestheEel wrote:Sump looks good mate. Wish I was handy like that.

sydneydrewid wrote:great job on the arcylic Cheezo :thumbsup: sump looks awesome!!

Thanks gents.

Have been doing a bit more flow testing through the sump tonight... alterations need to be made :konk:

Basically there is not enough fall though the sump to allow the water to drain from the first section of the sump (skimmer section).

I was going to remove the baffle from the refugium, trim 50mm off and reinstall. After removing the sump I realise that could be messy. :think: How about a Calfo overflow? This would also allow for an overflow comb to keep the macro contained within that section of the sump. I can then use a hole-saw to cut a few holes in the existing baffle.

I will also need to reduce the height of the "over" baffle in the media/ chemical filtration area of the sump. Might have to buy a Dremel or cheaper similar tool to cut that baffle down 20mm or so.

Picture tells a thousand words...
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 7:27 pm

Tank has been officially "Struck up" :banana: :banana: :banana:

NSW added today. Made three trips to collect the water as I can only carry 200L at a time :tongue: Also because I was still mucking about with some of the plumbing last night, precluding me from emptying the tank of the FW, I was running late for the high tide this morning. I also wanted to use the FW to wash the crushed marble being used for the DSB.

I collected from the local boat ramp. Usually I clamber down some rocks on the seaward side. I have to say though the job is a lot easier direct from the ramp. Had to choose a Saturday with good weather too making the boat ramp quite popular. Fortunately the ramp wasn't too busy for the first and third trips but it was back to the sea-wall for trip #2. I was however collecting on the outgoing tide by about 2.5 hours on the third trip. The water still looked clean and it is for the cycle anyway. I'll get around to a full set of water tests tonight.

I'll need to get around to updating the sump build+modifications as quite obviously that has now been finished too.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Salt Water IN!! Tank Strikes Up

Postby StripestheEel » Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:36 pm

Congrats, you know what comes next :poke:
StripestheEel

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 1:00 am

As mentioned earlier the sump needed to be modified.I decided on a mini Calfo-style overflow.

Here is the new overflow:

The holes drilled into the baffle:

I also wanted to reduce the height of the last baffle in the media section. Here it is marked for cutting. I bought a Dremel copy with a number of assorted accessories for the job. Not the neatest work but did the trick particularly given the volume of water to be going over it.

I solved the problem of potential overflow from the first chamber by adding a 32mm bulkhead through to the last section of the media chamber. Normally there shouldn't be any flow through it.

Another view with the added bulkhead in place. You can also see the new baffle added to the first chamber. In effect I have now completely isolated that section from the rest of the sump. I haven't made a final decision as to what to do with that section although I was thinking of using it as a top-up reservoir. Other options include a frag area after some plumbing alterations, leaving it empty, or even a quarantine tank. Either way the skimmer still has to sit in that chamber.

The skimmer sitting in that chamber needed to be elevated 75mm so a suitable chair was made with eggcrate and pvc pipe:

And the sump with skimmer in place. The plumbing has been completed too:

There's the boat ramp where I lifted 600L today - I'm going to :sleeper: well tonight.

I'm in love with my skimmer :-x The Deltec started foaming within 10 minutes.

StripestheEel wrote:Congrats, you know what comes next :poke:

Now that you make me think of it the 'to-do' list is quite large
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Alf D » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 8:12 am

Ollie. you should be able to touch your knees without bending after carrying all that water :)
Alf D
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby bradw6860 » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 10:41 am

The good old Belambi boat ramp, i know a better quality place to collect.

If your interested but is a bit harder as you have to walk further and up some stairs.
bradw6860
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 10:44 am

I don't think he wants any stairs after 600L in 25L containers. :roflmao:
StripestheEel

Postby bradw6860 » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 10:51 am

Petrol water or clean water.....its up to you!
bradw6860
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 11:08 pm

Alf D wrote:Ollie. you should be able to touch your knees without bending after carrying all that water :)

:roflmao: Lets just say that added flexibility has not been an advantage :nono:

bradw6860 wrote:The good old Belambi boat ramp, i know a better quality place to collect.
If your interested but is a bit harder as you have to walk further and up some stairs.

Is that the water quality or the quality of the locals :-s ;)
I'll chat to you re the better location and to answer your question via PM :thumbsup:

StripestheEel wrote:I don't think he wants any stairs after 600L in 25L containers. :roflmao:

Stairs... noooo :madface: I usually draw from the seaward side (just didn't have the time to spare this time) meaning a risk of breaking my ankle climbing up the uneven seawall :dead: so stairs may not be such a bad thing really.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby galleri3090 » Sun 18 Apr, 2010 11:28 pm

Congrats, Ollie, mate your game with that 600lt :nut: love the froth on the Deltec too. Makes me want to fire mine up in the bath just for kicks. Superb build. You must be thrilled.
galleri3090
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 12:46 am

A little more has been done since the last update. I have added crushed marble to the DSB. This caused a cloud for a couple of days even though it was washed.

I have also started to build the hood beginning with the lighting frame. Basically it is a frame to support the three LumenBright reflectors that can be lifted or tilted to allow better access to the tank.

I also picked up two boxes of LR this evening. Plenty of critters and some with encrusting coral. A few I pulled out of the rock in this pic

This guy was a great find

A number of pistol shrimp - or at least I think they are - clicking sound with one claw bigger than the other...right? :-s

What about this guy? Actually have two with the shipment. What is it?
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby c.jarratt » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 1:15 am

do you worry about boaty petroly stuff in your water??? (filling up on a boat ramp)
c.jarratt
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 2:15 am

Definitely pistol shrimp and the last pic is a Cowrie, great algae eaters.
StripestheEel

Postby Deek » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 2:40 pm

Looking really good Ollie! A couple of those crabs look huge though...

Make sure you get some shots of the DT when it clears up :)
Deek
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 7:55 pm

c.jarratt wrote:do you worry about boaty petroly stuff in your water??? (filling up on a boat ramp)

I used to until the other week when I had to make three trips. My justification includes calm conditions and hence no mixing of the surface water, most boats appear to be 4-stroke so less oil on the water anyway and whatever oil there is should remain on the surface and I draw from 50 - 100cm under the surface.

I think there are bigger issues such as effluent outflows locally and 50km N in Sydney along with Port Kembla steel works around the corner and many ships berthed close offshore. This would affect whatever region anyone would draw water from unless you can go over the horizon out to sea. Since I've been using NSW for a while without observed ill effect I don't think it is a deterrent. Of course I won't take water after rain and like to give a good week of nil rain too.

StripestheEel wrote:Definitely pistol shrimp and the last pic is a Cowrie, great algae eaters.

Thanks Matt :thumbsup:

Deek wrote:Looking really good Ollie! A couple of those crabs look huge though...

Make sure you get some shots of the DT when it clears up :)

I suppose the question is what to do with them since I don't want them in the display?

About to go away for a week. I'll try to get a FTS tonight or tomorrow keeping in mind the rock is just randomly scattered. Probably need to get more and will probably be base rock.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Scooby » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 8:21 pm

Looking good. Well done so far
Scooby
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASAOG Member

Postby CheezotheClown » Thu 29 Apr, 2010 11:31 pm

Scooby wrote:Looking good. Well done so far

Thanks Scoob :thumbsup:

FTS. Only two of the three reflectors in place yet and sitting in the frame. Will need to build the hood tomorrow then the reflectors can be lifted to the correct height.

Here's a shot of the skimmer's collection cup. Just over 500ml in 24hrs.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 1:02 am

looking good will be interesting to follow
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)