• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse [TOTM Nov 2011]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Mar Update

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 03 Apr, 2011 11:59 pm

Another small re-aquascape in the middle section was required. No pictures yet and the lights are out now so will have to wait.

I've noted that the Flame has been particularly aggressive lately. Been picking on the missus' fave Benny the Blenny. Well Benny is missing one of his antlers :bored:

:crossfingers: He'll grow it back. He'll grow it back right?

I've also noticed that the hammer coral started to gape one of its mouths. I think I saw a new mouth forming just to the side but I've never seen this coral grow in this fasion. I'll have to keep an eye on it. The other acros are doing well and I see more colour in them every day :clap: I also got another two acro colonies on the large side. Not particularly colourful but may have potential. No pics of them yet either but I'll try to snap some in the next couple of days.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Mar Update

Postby notsomot » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 12:04 am

Nice shots man
notsomot
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Jul Update

Postby CheezotheClown » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 3:42 pm

Happy Birthday :banana:

A little bit belated but the tank turned 1 back in April.

Gee I gotta update more regularly :konk:

A moment's silence for two inhabitants:

The smallest clown - ostracised from the others and then one day all the inhabitants turned on him. I tried a peroxide bath for 30 min before going to the QT but he died overnight. The next smaller clown is hovering close to but not in the torch coral of the other two.

The other has been with me from the very beginning. Lettuce a Blue Green Chromis has disappeared. Lettuce because the other two chromis I got as my first fish were named Bacon and Tomato. These guys died early on not because I used them to cycle the tank but because of Lettuce's aggression. I'm not sure when he disappeared actually. He's been hovering in the top corners near the clowns for a while, I think he died of age. Am I a bad parent for not noticing sooner?

As far as improvements to the tank I've finished the timber trim around the tank and hood. I've only got a bit to go around the doors but will be tricky so I'll procrastinate on that for the moment.

I've placed more substrate down but it is still getting cleared from a couple of spots. I also notice that the output of the Tunze pumps are way down again so I'll have to give them another clean again, probably to watch more sand get blown away afterwards :roll:

I went away for 10 days in May. I arranged for someone to check on the tank about half time. I left two tubs with 160L of RODI topup water linked together with a simple siphon. I also was having intermittent failure of the lighting timer staying stuck on so I replaced it with a brand new timer from Jaycar. I was suspect that it was just another of the same cheap crap but the salesman assured me it would be ok. It did not mention anything about heavy duty cycles or the sort which is what I was after. In any case I thought that the timer should last at least a couple of weeks :crossfingers: of course it didn't lousy piece of crap :furious:

I got a call from the minder that they thought the lights didn't go off but couldn't be sure. After extensive questioning, and as it turns out $45 phone call, I decided the best course of action would be to pull the power on the lights altogether and let the tank sit in the dark for what would be 4 days before my return. This would also mean that the tank lights would be on for at least another 24 hours before the minder could make the drive down to the Gong again. Logic would also cast a question over how long the lights were already on too. At worst case they failed the day we left which meant they were on Sunday to Friday.

One coral had it and most of the others seem to be ok. There has been some bleaching but I have dimmable lights and turned them down to 175W and slowly increased them back to the full 250W over a couple of weeks.

Of course there also had to be a problem with the auto top up. I did leave another 30L of RODI water just in case which the minder added to the first tub. When they came back to pull the lights on the Friday they mentioned that the water level in the return sump was at 'min'. At that point I realised how glad I was to not only mark the normal operating and min levels with a line but to label them too :angel: I was able to determine that the auto topup pump was pumping but decided to get the minder to pour whatever remained of the water in the spare containers directly into the sump, it was about 10L. It turns out that the 10L was just enough for me to get back home.

Diagnosis of the fault - the silicon airline from the airstone in the tub was no longer a tube but rather a ribbon. The airstone was blocked :wall: . The last time I went away I feared this and took the airstone off only to have the problem where the tube floated to the surface and crippled the topup. I suspect that the tub of RODI cultured a micro algae or even bacteria enough to block the airstone. Never ever had this problem before and the airstone that was on it is the same one that I have used from the time I started in the hobby. It must have had thousands of litres of water go through it to of course fail when I go away :grump:

I also tested an increase in PO4 prior to the trip away and so changed the Phosban in the reactor. I added 50g with the intention of adding another 50g a week or two later - I haven't but is on the list for today.

I think I've also had to rebuild the centre section of aquascaping due to imminent collapse. I blame the urchin which is not allowed to 'move on' due to CheesettetheClown's love for it :sneaky:

Enough talk, pics:

The coral hardest hit with the bleaching event

These haven't bleached but have been largely dormant with growth until very recently where they've grown very rapidly

Nork's frag now seems to be taking hold

Sailfin's frag from the MASS AGM in March holding its colour and growing

Zeason's frag

Here is the mantis shrimp's house with the front door closed. Always knew I had him but the closest I'd ever seen is a fleeting glimpse of a black shadow. He's now taken residence centre stage and doesn't seem to have any shyness. I've been able to feed it from tongs. You may notice that the front door is in fact a bleached fragment of the small fungia coral that went missing some time ago. The shrimp has used a bigger piece to board up the side. I'll be taking that back an replacing with a piece of shell of approximate dimensions. If the shrimp don't like then tough :cop:

End-on. The two white circles are the underwater strobes - I took all these with the underwater camera housing so that I can use the strobes to get better and more natural colour.

FTS

Left

Right

Just need to be able to organise a time and I'll have a new Kamoer dosing pump to install too.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby n0rk » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 5:12 pm

Bad news about all the problems mate, but hey, the fact that the nuked frag is still holding on tells me you can't be doing too badly... :laugh: Thus is the joys of keeping reef tanks eh?
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
n0rk

Postby pebbles » Fri 08 Jul, 2011 10:14 pm

:wavey: Hey Ollie,

Given how frequently you are away for a week or more, it surprises me how well overall the system handles it. Alright, not too well this time but nothing irrepairable, true? :pirate:

Gotta love the mantis! How cool is his front door? :roflmao:

As for the corals it looks like they're on the road to better colour already! Good luck with the recovery. :-D

cheers
angie
angie
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 12 Jul, 2011 12:43 pm

n0rk wrote:Bad news about all the problems mate, but hey, the fact that the nuked frag is still holding on tells me you can't be doing too badly... :laugh: Thus is the joys of keeping reef tanks eh?

Thanks n0rk :thumbsup:
pebbles wrote::wavey: Hey Ollie,

Given how frequently you are away for a week or more, it surprises me how well overall the system handles it. Alright, not too well this time but nothing irrepairable, true? :pirate:

Yeah, the lights staying on has been one of the bigger problems but seems to have bounced back. I try not to make changes to the tank at all if it can be avoided.

pebbles wrote:Gotta love the mantis! How cool is his front door? :roflmao:

Well I removed the side wall and replaced it with that piece of shell like I threatened. He didn't like that and threw the shell out a few times. By evening he's got a new wall made of that shell :clap:

I now have a badly bleached frag of a small orange fungia on the frag rack :crossfingers: it makes a comeback.

One of the worst social faux pas to make is assuming someone is dead when they aren't. This is the case with Lettuce - I found him in the DSB section of the sump two nights ago. How he got there is a mystery for a few reasons. He never ventures down to the end of the tank with the wier. He had to get in the wier (maybe due to the eggcrate being shifted) and he either had to avoid being sucked through the skimmer pump or being beached on a piece of filter mat if he went down the emergency Durso (which would have had to be at a moment when significant water was flowing as it is tuned for only a few % of the flow).

Another blow has been the Aquabee UP7000 return pump failure. Luckily I was home because it tripped the house circuit. Luckily I've been in the hobby long enough now to have a suitable emergency pump available - my old OR6500. Of course I had to change the plumbing over too but plenty of spares in that department also helped.

Dug up the receipt to find I bought the pump 17 months ago. Dug up the original packaging to find it comes with a 24 month warranty :clap: Needs to go back to the same wholesaler that looks after Deltec. Here's hoping for a speedier resolution than the skimmer pump saga I went through :roll:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Fri 29 Jul, 2011 5:29 pm

Wow few ups and downs :)
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby pilonstar » Sat 30 Jul, 2011 4:42 pm

good pix Olie!
did you setup the dosing pumps?
how is the angel going?
:cheers:
The irony: removing all the nutrients, only to add them all back as high priced supplements.
Live stream tank http://www.erickmiranda.com
pilonstar
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby greeni » Tue 02 Aug, 2011 10:36 am

Wow Ollie bit of bad luck there, mate you'll have it back no time, it's the reef keeping murphys law, if something is going to fail, it's while you're away!! Good to hear "lettuce" is ok.
:cheers: Joe.
MASS Committee Member
Greeni's 5x2.5x2
greeni
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 02 Aug, 2011 12:09 pm

kj52faith wrote:Wow few ups and downs :)

But nothing too serious I suppose or at least mitigated with the redundancies/backup plans I allowed for. The main pump could have been a disaster or made far more difficult if I didn't have the spare. This will be my argument for hording things every time the missus says I need to "clear the s$%t out of the garage". What, you think the garage is for parking cars or something ludicrous like that?

pilonstar wrote:good pix Olie!
did you setup the dosing pumps?
how is the angel going?
:cheers:

Thanks Erick. Dosing pump still not set up but I'm home bound with a cold today and probably tomorrow so :crossfingers: I'll get it set.
The Angel is going really well. No relapses or any other indication of problems since she was introduced. If I don't keep up with the 1/2 sheets of nori every day she starts to nip at a couple of the LPS.

greeni wrote:Wow Ollie bit of bad luck there, mate you'll have it back no time, it's the reef keeping murphys law, if something is going to fail, it's while you're away!! Good to hear "lettuce" is ok.
:cheers: Joe.

Of course. However I suppose I should be grateful for being home when the main pump tripped the power. That could have ended very badly given the cold nights.
Update on the main pump - ABS has replaced it I just have to make the swap back now.
Lettuce - well I may have spoke too soon. Shortly after my last post he disappeared again unsighted even now.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Thu 22 Sep, 2011 12:03 pm

I think this every time but I really should update more frequently.

Another of the clowns has died :( Just disappeared from one day to the next and no corpse to investigate. I'm left with the two that have paired.

I got around to reinstalling the Aquabee UP7000 as the return. I had intended to change the plumbing a bit so that the return will feed the chiller. This has been done and I am much happier at the ease with which I can now remove the return pump for servicing. I've already had to do this when the pump became unbearably loud due to the plastic shroud that is around the pump inlet working slightly loose and resonating with the vibration. I removed it and the noise is much better again. I also took the opportunity to use some coarse filter mat under the pump which I picked up from SteveCampbell before he moved.

The new plumbing arrangement has also now allowed me to close the cabinet totally which does much for noise suppression. The different flow rate though has had some knock-on effects with the skimmer and chiller on-cycle. I think the Deltec performs better with a higher flow and the chiller flow has been reduced since I had it running on the Aquabee UP3000 exclusively. The flow is now too slow and allows the chiller to cool the water significantly faster than the tank temperature is reduced. Part of the problem though is that I expel the chiller outlet into the return section of the sump which will be recirculated via the chiller. This is on the cards to re-plumb back to the display.

I noticed that skimmer performance had dropped significantly recently so the plumbing work meant an opportunity to remove and deep clean the skimmer, something that has not been done since installation.

I hooked up the skimmer to a feed pump added enough water to submerge the pump in a tub and added 2L white vinegar. I let it run for a few hours while I worked on the plumbing rearrangement.

I created my own fondue fountain :)

It was a simple task to wipe down the remaining crap that didn't lift during the vinegar bath. I didn't take an 'after' shot but suffice to say the skimmer looked as-new :banana:

Performance increase was immediate with what took a week to skim I get over a day.

On the cards for a while now has been to supplement the MH lighting with actinic and blue. The debate has been between T5 and LED. T5 is relatively simple and cheaper to install but with 4 tubes at 54W I was uneasy to push my total lighting power towards 1kW per hour on-time. LED advantages included smaller form, less power, no bulb changes and no heat. Cons are that I haven't worked with LED's before (but I have no problem trying though) and significantly pricier to setup. I don't think I can get too far away from the increased power consumption - LED's aren't that light on energy consumption (bad pun intended), in this case 48@3W=144W although should be a bit less since they won't be run at full power all of the time they are on.

I made a decision and while the dollar is close to parity I've ordered a PWM controller, drivers, heatsinks and LEDs from Rapid LED. I've opted for two 5' x 1.1" heatsinks to hold 24 LEDs each. I bought 12 blue cree LEDs on stars to mix in along with 80* optics. Will have to try the optics to determine if I needed them.
I'll run the blue and the royal blue LEDs at the same current so wiring will remain simple.

I opted for the PWM drivers because I couldn't find a solution to keep the option of varying the output without adding another powerpack to supply 10V had I gone with the Meanwell ELN-Ds. Added cost in the PWM controller but the specs of the Rapid LED unit show promise.

Wait... is that the courier...no :grump: c'mon, I ordered from the other side of the world yesterday, why aren't they here yet :guns:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Waiting for LEDs to Arrive

Postby n0rk » Thu 22 Sep, 2011 1:56 pm

Holy crap man! That skimmer was bloody repugnant! :roflmao: I can tell why it was underperforming. I'm surprised you weren't seeing positive effects from it acting like a cryptic zone :pirate: how're you going to mount your LEDs up?
n0rk

Postby CheezotheClown » Sat 22 Oct, 2011 9:22 pm

n0rk wrote:Holy crap man! That skimmer was bloody repugnant! :roflmao: I can tell why it was underperforming. I'm surprised you weren't seeing positive effects from it acting like a cryptic zone :pirate: how're you going to mount your LEDs up?

With the commitment of being a part of the MASS Illawarra Tank Crawl for the October meeting I thought I should pull my proverbial finger out and get on with the LED build. The parts arrived a couple of days after my last post. Surprisingly I decided on a plan relatively quickly on how to go about mounting.

The plan is 24 LEDs per rail with a total of two rails. They are mounted by gravity on the cross braces either side along the three MH reflectors. I was hoping to get all of the wiring up on the hood and this has been accomplished too.

The wiring between the individual LEDs is routed to the other side of the heatsink to be out of the way. The LEDs alternate so that there is an even spacing of 12RB on one driver per rail. 6RB per rail to the one driver and 6 blue LEDs per rail to the one driver. Total 48 LEDS and 4 drivers. I opted for the PWM drivers and got the RapidLED dimmer. Turns out they sent me the remote controllable dimmer - apart from the initial jolly of controlling the lights from the other side of the room I can't see a real need for it.

I penciled the positions of the LEDs allowing space for the cross-braces in the hood then drilled. LED's screwed in place and soldered then tested to set the output with the multi-meter before final installation in the hood. I set the drivers to 950mA. Installation took place while watching the Bathurst 1000. On a side note anyone else reckon channel 7 broadcast more ads than the race itself... oh then topped it off towards the end by announcing how the F1 was going in Japan - tools :wall:

Some shots of the tank with the new LEDs only

I noticed the Mandarin missing the other day and went in search. First port of call the weir. To my surprise there was a flash of orange, white and black. The clown I thought doomed was in the weir. That's twice I've made a premature call on the life status of the stock recently. Incidentally the Mandarin was in there too.

I took more pics of the tank today including new FTSs.

End FTS

"Back" FTS

"Front" FTS
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Basenji » Sat 22 Oct, 2011 10:37 pm

Saw this tank today. The photos really don't do it justice. It's looking awesome. Well done Ollie.
Colin
My email
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. - Jimmy Dean
My Tank Journals:--> 3x2 Project-->Thomas's Tank --> 4 foot display (retired) --> 2 foot Nano (retired)
Basenji

Postby Daz the reefo » Sat 22 Oct, 2011 11:13 pm

Basenji wrote:Saw this tank today. The photos really don't do it justice. It's looking awesome. Well done Ollie.

:withyou: I agree Col, absolutely superb, especially when Ollie is away from work alot , i love that Majestic :-x
Reefing Rulz

Daz's Reefing Adventure 4x2x2 ATI (Now closed down)
Daz the reefo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Oct Update

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 23 Oct, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks guys :)
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby PeterK » Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks Ollie for letting us view the tank. Stunning setup you've got there, your hard work certainly has paid off.

Definitely has given me a dose of enthusiasm to get my build further progressed (at least to a stage of it being wet!)

Pete
PeterK
RTAW Reefer

Postby shannonpayne86 » Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:15 pm

Just a stunner Oli, well done mate.
shannonpayne86
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby n0rk » Wed 26 Oct, 2011 11:49 pm

Under the LEDs, this tank looks ripper. It's nice to see it's coming into its own and really getting a gallop on now.
n0rk

Postby axela » Thu 27 Oct, 2011 2:13 am

The LED lights definitely made the tank shine a lot more!

Beautiful tank! - love the scape!
Starfire Aquatics - Visit our Facebook page
axela
Bicentenary Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business

Postby bubbleboy » Fri 28 Oct, 2011 2:33 pm

Stunning Oli :clap: :clap:
bubbleboy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby greeni » Sun 30 Oct, 2011 6:37 am

Daz the reefo wrote: i love that Majestic :-x

:withyou: pics :poke:
MASS Committee Member
Greeni's 5x2.5x2
greeni
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby ashatani » Sun 30 Oct, 2011 9:55 am

I'm in awe! It's tanks like these that convince me to learn everything I can. If the photo's don't do it justice I don't know how you get anything done. I'd just be hanging around the tank allthe time reef gazing! As it is I've spent ages just looking at the photo's Bewdifool! :thumbsup:
ashatani
Centurion Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 31 Oct, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks for the support guys. I don't seek out praise but it sure is nice to hear it :thumbsup:

greeni wrote:
Daz the reefo wrote: i love that Majestic :-x

:withyou: pics :poke:

I'll try, she is quite shy anytime I bring out the camera. Must be the same for all angels 'ey Greeni (keeper of phantom Regal) :poke:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Fri 04 Nov, 2011 8:55 am

Stunning tank mate, i love the aquascape the clean effect of the sand and how their are no chords in the photos! Brilliant job
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 06 Nov, 2011 10:18 am

kj52faith wrote:Stunning tank mate, i love the aquascape the clean effect of the sand and how their are no chords in the photos! Brilliant job

Thanks. When I designed the tank it was a compromise to add the Tunze. I really didn't want any powerheads or the like in the DT at all. The Tunze have worked out relatively un-imposing, especially after the corraline algae covers them, as they sit in the void either side of the internal weir. It might be a different story had I opted for the external weir though.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse [TOTM Nov 2011]

Postby locuus » Mon 02 Jan, 2012 4:10 pm

Any chance of some pics of your porites?
locuus
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 02 Jan, 2012 4:44 pm

locuus wrote:Any chance of some pics of your porites?

I'll see what I can do :)
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kell » Mon 23 Apr, 2012 11:37 pm

Hey Ollie. Was just looking through your photos. We need an update :)
SPS = Stability Promotes Success
My tank Journal
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=235438
kell
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Juzza34 » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 10:48 am

Awesome tank Mate and great journal. I could only hope my tank would turn out as good as yours. Hows the angel going is it nipping at anymore corals? How do you keep ur sand so white?
Juzza34
Veteran Reefer
RTAW Unregistered Business
MASWA Member

PreviousNext

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)