• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse [TOTM Nov 2011]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Salt Water IN!! Tank Strikes Up

Postby galleri3090 » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 11:09 am

Now were talking! :clap: So many things to like about this system. Well done, Ollie.

Mate if you need more rock, i'll be removing all the rock from my QT very soon. Some choice pieces, there's probably 20-30KG.
galleri3090
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Salt Water IN!! Tank Strikes Up

Postby CheezotheClown » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 11:17 am

galleri3090 wrote:Now were talking! :clap: So many things to like about this system. Well done, Ollie.

Mate if you need more rock, i'll be removing all the rock from my QT very soon. Some choice pieces, there's probably 20-30KG.

That sounds like an idea :think: and it's an excuse to visit :)
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - 40kg LR In

Postby CheezotheClown » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 11:48 am

Updated the first post and added the current water parameters.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby bradw6860 » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 11:50 am

Nice i should walk over and visit! :nod:
bradw6860
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Lutjanus » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 6:10 pm

You are a champion -600L in 25 L containers :thumbsup:

M a k e s m e f e e l l a z y not wanting to do a 100l change for my holding tank.

Great build.

Everything looks well thought out.
Lutjanus
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASQ Member 2016-2017
QLD Reefer

Postby Daz the reefo » Fri 30 Apr, 2010 10:56 pm

Nice work Cheezo, getting there slowly, it's interesting the discussions had regarding boat ramp water, i've been filling my drums up from Shellharbour harbour for the past 2 years with no ill effect to date. mind you i do time my runs to approx an hour after high tide.
Reefing Rulz

Daz's Reefing Adventure 4x2x2 ATI (Now closed down)
Daz the reefo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Thu 13 May, 2010 11:45 pm

I took a few macro shots tonight. The LR is covered with lots of different macro species, sponges which have survived,corals, and I have a few bivalves too.

CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Deek » Fri 14 May, 2010 2:52 pm

That rock looks very "live" mate :thumbsup:
How is everything else going with the tank so far?
Deek
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sat 22 May, 2010 12:27 am

Deek wrote:That rock looks very "live" mate :thumbsup:
How is everything else going with the tank so far?

I am surprised at just how live it is and there has been very little die-off.

The rest of the system is chugging over. Thanks to one very generous reefer I picked up about another 25-30kg LR. I had a chance to aquascape today -

FTS

From the end

FTS from the other side

I hooked up the FBF to run Phosban. Currently have 50g in there. The TropicMarin PO4 tests I've been running have all indicated <0.01 but a day after the Phosban has been running the test looks lighter in colour. Will need to take a sample to the next MASS meeting I have a chance to get to and make use of the Hanna PO4 meter. Won't be the meeting this Sunday unfortunately.

Still plenty to do.

Need to get onto finishing the stand and the hood for that matter. This includes making doors to close the sump which should cut down on some of the noise :crossfingers:

The electrics will need to be tackled at some point.

I almost moved the ATO pump and level sensor. Probably end up doing that at some point during the week.

I was also going to move the Durso from the other tank and I need to play around with some of the plumbing in the sump but may have to wait until the old tank is shutdown before I can take the plumbing bits.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Sat 22 May, 2010 10:28 am

O0o0. Very nice. Aquascaping is very simple but effective.

Bring on the corals and fish :thumbsup:
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby Daz the reefo » Sat 22 May, 2010 11:57 am

Hey Oli, if you want me to take up a sample for you to the meeting tomorrow i'd me more than happy to :thumbsup:
Reefing Rulz

Daz the reefo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 23 May, 2010 12:16 am

Thanks Daz :thumbsup: I need to go to work relatively early so probably a bit hard to organise something. Not really that fussed just yet. PO4 is indicating lower than the TropicMarin test kit can measure and that is good enough for the time being. I'll get around to a more accurate test at some point.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby mattgreen » Sun 23 May, 2010 12:38 am

are you running phosban through a reactor? howmuch did it cost? did it remove yout po4?
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 25 May, 2010 4:38 pm

mattgreen wrote:are you running phosban through a reactor? howmuch did it cost? did it remove yout po4?

The GFO will bind with PO4. If reefers believe it isn't working it is most likely because PO4 input is faster than the GFO can bind it.

It is run through a reactor. I've only set it up about a week but anecdotally I think the PO4 is less. I say anecdotally because the test kit was already reading the lowest it can but being a colorimetric test I believe the colour is more pale on the test now than before the Phosban.

I got the reactor a few years ago on a group buy. I think it is a Resun brand and Age Of Aquariums was the supplier. I couldn't be sure of the cost, maybe $10. The phosban I've had for a while too but there is a price tag that says $39.95.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Aquascaped

Postby galleri3090 » Tue 25 May, 2010 11:08 pm

Aquascape looks fantastic, Ollie. That's got to be one of the most "live" liverocks I've seen recently. I'm always checking for updates on this baby, nothing like a serious build :clap: More please sir ......
galleri3090
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Fri 11 Jun, 2010 8:35 pm

galleri3090 wrote:Aquascape looks fantastic, Ollie. That's got to be one of the most "live" liverocks I've seen recently. I'm always checking for updates on this baby, nothing like a serious build :clap: More please sir ......

Thanks Michael - couldn't have done it without you :wink: :thumbsup:

The tank has been clicking over without anything major being done. I'm keeping an eye on the parameters with nitrate peaking at 10ppm and down to 8ppm at the last test a few days ago. Hopefully the DSB is starting to settle :crossfingers: The top 5mm or so is changing colour towards darker. The surface may be coated with a very light layer of detritus or more likely diatom. Although I havent really noticed any diatom in the DT.

I have to say that I am pretty happy with things at the moment. I have noted corraline algae atarting to grow on the base and my Tunzes. The last tank was going for a year and a half before I saw anything like it. There is also a bright green algae growing on the base. At first I thought it was the start of another war with hair algae but it has turned out to be broad leafed (~5-7mm across) and quite long. I'll leave that for now and let the tang/blenny see if it is to their liking. Otherwise I'm yet to cover the base with substrate too :pirate:

I wanted to get a start on cleaning up the electrics. I'll be using a series of powerboards with the intention of fastening them to a "power wall". Once I laid things out I realised that much more space will be required. More thought needed before I finalise my plans there.

I plugged in the power usage meter to monitor the power consumption by the three 250W MH ballasts. Pretty much spot on. On start up drawing ~250W for all three building within a few minutes to 764W at full power. I have these dimmed to minimum for the time being. The ballast takes about 5-10 minutes at full power to heat up before automatically dropping the output to the dimmer setting, in this case minimum. The power drawn at minimum totalled 450W or 150W each unit. Not bad IMO to have a MH with a 100W range - should go a long way to assisting coral acclimatisation without needing to uproot the coral or use shades or adjusted timer cycle.

I just started a thread in the parasites forum as I have found a number of these guys and I'm not sure if I should be concerned. See http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=787708#p787708

Snapped the largest of the inhabitants for the moment:

The other day I found that the main pump was right down on output. Concerned that my brand new pump was having issues I promptly removed it to take a closer look.

I don't know what it is(was) but it was almost completely blocking the pump inlet on the impeller side.

CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Daz the reefo » Fri 11 Jun, 2010 9:23 pm

Damm Ollie you can take some awesome pics :bow:

good to see the tank cruisin along, i got no idea what the ET lookin thing is though. reminds me of when i clean a squid for dinner :roflmao:
Reefing Rulz

Daz the reefo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby dmanning » Mon 14 Jun, 2010 10:38 pm

Looks like octopus to me...???
Might have had a baby in your live rock, after making a home in your pump looks like he has been macerated.
dmanning
Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 05 Jul, 2010 11:46 pm

Time for an update although not much has progressed.

I have started to transfer corals from the old tank. I moved the elegance last week along with a Favia sp.. Paul_D's "frag" is also in the new system sitting next to the newest addition - a Fungia sp. we call volcano :) Just moved the bubble coral tonight so it isn't looking as happy as it was a few hours ago in the old tank.

I am still yet to add sand for the base - I am not a proponent of the bare bottom for aesthetic reasons but I'm not convinced I will like crushed marble as the substrate. I think I will wait to reuse the Caribsea aragonite I have in the DSB in the old tank after I shut it down.

Following SteveCampbell's disaster last week I've picked up his clam and Mandarin dragonet (currently in QT)[Thanks Steve :thumbsup:] I usually like to see a 6 week QT but the Mandarin may need to move sooner. I'm not convinced it is eating in QT and it is not a wild fish or been in a LFS holding system.

Now for the pics:

CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby galleri3090 » Tue 06 Jul, 2010 11:38 pm

Hi Ollie,

I just had a closer look at your aquascaping, that's crazy impressive. I can imagine when its caked in coralline, corals and a substrate will look absolutely amazing, get cracking mate! :pirate:

Michael
galleri3090
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 10:08 am

galleri3090 wrote:Hi Ollie,

I just had a closer look at your aquascaping, that's crazy impressive. I can imagine when its caked in coralline, corals and a substrate will look absolutely amazing, get cracking mate! :pirate:

Michael

Thanks Michael :) I almost think that it is too much rock... nah what am I thinking - the tank is too small :devil: I'm looking forward to the sand I have to say. I think it will make a huge difference to the look. Now if only there was a QT full of SPS somewhere in the world... :-D
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:13 am

Update

I was getting quite annoyed with the tangle of wires and decided to do something about it. My original thoughts were for a much smaller board but as usual experience is in trying. I decided to abandon the idea of mounting the e-ballasts on the board too. I think I'll fix them to the stand as high up as I can go.

Pretty simple design. I had some particle board shelving offcut which was marked for holes and drilled. The individual powerboards are then held in place with cable ties. I've also bundled the TS48 wires into a cable tidy which I intend to fix to the inside top of the stand.

I've also transferred the Mandarin from QT. Seems to be happier with pods to feed on. Hides deep in the rock for most of the day but does come out each evening for a little bit.

CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:27 am

Electrical looks much better now Oliver.

Same lens for all the Dragonet pics? Last pic is great.
StripestheEel

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 12:40 am

StripestheEel wrote:Electrical looks much better now Oliver.

Same lens for all the Dragonet pics? Last pic is great.

Thanks Matt. I realise that I didn't take a pic of it with the bits plugged in- will have to do that when I get home again at the end of the week.

The lens - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Daz the reefo » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 2:25 pm

Hey Ollie, any updates?? howz it all going?
Reefing Rulz

Daz the reefo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 4:02 pm

Coming along nicely Daz. I was thinking I needed to post an update. I actually pulled my finger out last night (& early this morning) to try to finish tidying up the wires.

I just came home from Bunnings with a couple of new power tools :nod: I had to get them to finish the stand. I now own a press drill and a circular saw. All intended to be used to make the doors and other DIY projects down the track.

I've also moved most of the stock over. I'll try to detail that with pics in the next update, hopefully tonight.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Daz the reefo » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 5:45 pm

Sweet Ollie, i must admit i tend to buy a few extra tools on DIY projects. Should look good with a finished stand, i've yet to finish my hood too :wall: only been 18 months lol.

look forward to the pics
Reefing Rulz

Daz the reefo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Inhabitants Move In

Postby CheezotheClown » Thu 05 Aug, 2010 1:45 am

Daz the reefo wrote:Sweet Ollie, i must admit i tend to buy a few extra tools on DIY projects. Should look good with a finished stand, i've yet to finish my hood too :wall: only been 18 months lol.

look forward to the pics

I've been building for around five months now so that gives me over a year then :poke: :)

Update time:

I got stuck into tidying the wires further to the build of the power board a little while back. So many wires from the Tunze and the cables to the halides were still hanging over the side preventing me from progressing on the hood.

I still need to fix the e-ballasts which will tidy up a few more of the wires. Flexibility is not a feature of the halide wires though.

I also got stuck into some more woodwork today. The trims around the base have been made. I will need to remove them again to stain and varnish. Surprisingly the fit is better than expected. I hadn't made a final decision toying between magnets or screws but I may get away with nothing at all. I do want to be able to remove the long sides if there is a spill of water and if so they will need to be removed quickly.

I've also moved most of the inverts from the other tank. Some of the fish have moved too. All that remains is the Flame Angel, Purple Tang, Redline Shrimp and the BTA.

The birdsnest is looking a little worse for wear. This was a result of a large alk drop over a few days before I realised the tube in the alk container was above the fluid :wall: I may have further stressed it by placing it directly under a halide in the new tank. It is recovering though and looks to be getting some colour which I never saw in the old tank. Need to get some aquaneedit on the mille frag too.

The LPS seem to have settled in well and the clowns resume their home in the Torch.

Some of the macro that came with the LR has a fluorescent blue colour to it.

CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Fri 06 Aug, 2010 4:04 pm

Got this guy last week. Now sitting in QT. I held off for ages, around six months, trying to source a juvi or sub-adult to no avail and I finally cracked. I want this fish in the system before the Tang and the Flame and the waiting was putting off the shutdown of the old tank. This has a knock on effect to the completion of the new tank because I need parts from the old tank which can't be removed while it is running.

He looked smaller at the LFS. He was feeding on prepared foods within a day and is not so timid now. Actually sits in the top corner waiting for another hit of flake or pellet making me feel like its sugar-daddy. Also he only seems to want to eat from the surface. All my other fish usually wait for the food be in the water column.

:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: he doesn't take a liking to coral. Odds anyone? Hopefully I can manage the situation by removing a certain species and concentrating on stocking the tank with less favourable, to the Magestic, corals.

Did I :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: yet. Maybe I need to hold my breath too :bs:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Fri 06 Aug, 2010 4:40 pm

Always a risk mate but always a pretty risk.

Always best to source them as small as possible so their natural coral diet isn't set in stone :roflmao:

At least you chose the most "safe" of the big angels to put in. Good luck, I still wake up every morning hoping my Emperor hasn't turned into the devil.
StripestheEel

PreviousNext

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)