• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse [TOTM Nov 2011]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Inhabitants Move In

Postby CheezotheClown » Sat 07 Aug, 2010 12:40 am

It's always the pretty ones isn't it :roflmao:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby pebbles » Sun 08 Aug, 2010 1:23 pm

CheezotheClown wrote:Image

Actually sits in the top corner waiting for another hit of flake or pellet making me feel like its sugar-daddy.

Is that a bad thing? :laugh:

:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: he doesn't take a liking to coral. Odds anyone? ....

I reckon she's gonna be a heartbreaker. Admittedly a nice choice but she'll end up with the same flubber fetish you have. :devil:

angie :wavey:
angie
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sat 14 Aug, 2010 9:40 pm

I've been working away at the stand this past week. When I bought the ply for the stand I held back on one sheet for the side with the doors as I wasn't sure I was going to clad that side with ply. I've since decided that I will clad that side and the doors with the same ply. Because I was missing the ply I was held up for a couple of days until I could make the trip to Mister Ply and Wood. The tolerances on the timber trims is very fine and I didn't want to be guessing the correct cut. I've already had to re make the short side tank trim due to a cut 10mm out :wall:

The tank trims are made up of four individual pieces glued and nailed together.

I received my Schego heaters from the recent GB today at the MASS meet :clap: Thanks again pilonstar for the collection and numlock for the GB :thumbsup:

The MASS meet was at Kims Aquatics where they organised a big shipment. I was tempted by some acros but thought it wiser to wait a bit longer until the tank was more settled. I'd also like to try a test piece of Dallas acro shortly and go from there. So no acro but I am quite partial to LPS. I saw this Torch with beige coloured tips. I'll try to snap a better (in tank) picture after it settles in and expands :nod:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Daz the reefo » Sat 14 Aug, 2010 11:42 pm

Good to see the cabinet/stand coming along, great to catch up with you today too. when ever you're ready for the Acro test let me know and i'll break a frag off my Dallas for you :thumbsup:
Reefing Rulz

Daz's Reefing Adventure 4x2x2 ATI (Now closed down)
Daz the reefo
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 15 Aug, 2010 12:13 am

Daz the reefo wrote:Good to see the cabinet/stand coming along, great to catch up with you today too. when ever you're ready for the Acro test let me know and i'll break a frag off my Dallas for you :thumbsup:

Sweet, thanks Daz :thumbsup:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 18 Aug, 2010 12:23 pm

I ran a set of tests late last night to discover that the nitrates have dropped significantly to <0.2. I thought there may have been a problem with the test kit so I tested the QT with the Majestic Angel. It read ~25ppm.

I guess the DSB has come online :clap: I'm not running a refugium as yet so no dedicated macro grow-out area, only what is in the DT.

Other test params in the opening post: viewtopic.php?p=663011#p663011

I have noted that the alk & Ca have dropped. I have adjusted the dosing pumps from a single 4.5 hours each spaced by 12 hours to two three hour cycles of each; Ca @ 0600 & 1800, Alk @ 1200 & 0000. I'll also dose dry product to raise the alk and Ca, my targets are 3.5-4.0meq/l and 420-440ppm respectively.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 2:22 pm

Update
The Majestic in the QT has hit a rough patch but seems to be pulling through.

I've tried H2O2 baths per this thread to good effect. I'm still not sure what the problem is but will complete a 28 day QT from the first bath assuming C. irritans or Marine Ich.

These pictures were taken during her first Hydrogen Peroxide bath.

I have re-aquascaped the bommie at the end of the tank. It has now been linked to the rest of the rock with a bridge. There are a few locations that have a hair algae breakout with the worst being the Birds Nest :wall: I'm thinking my best bet is to break off the living bits and stick them into a plug of Aquakneedit disposing of the hair algea on the skeleton. I also noted a couple of small patches of cyano but these have disappeared of their own accord.

I've also been affected by impulse with a beautiful colony of blue acro :oops:

Otherwise I continue chipping away at the stand. The doors are on and the open side now clad with ply. Of course I can't close the doors because the stand will now overheat :rolleyes: I did partake in the crossflow fans and 12V fan controller GBs a while back. I pulled my finger out and soldered the controller which works perfectly. Now all I have to do is install it which will be the hard part since my original plans have changed and access is now quite limited :wall:

CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby LamboAM » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 2:36 pm

Good work. Hope the Majestic pulls through.
LamboAM
Veteran Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Sep 3 Update

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 8:05 pm

A power outage a couple of weeks ago highlighted a weakness of the system - the sump isn't big enough :wall: After all the calculations and testing (and subsequent mopping) and it still failed :bored:

After pondering for a bit I decided what I was going to do with the spare compartment the skimmer is sitting in. I cut a 25mm hole linking the return section with that compartment. Not happy that there was no flow through that section I added a siphon from the entry chamber into the new expanded return. This allows for a bit of flow through the new return section and keeps the level in the entry chamber down without taking too much away from the DSB. I had played with the plumbing a bit where I am able to send the entire flow (with all but a trickle through the Durso and the little bit through the FBF) through the skimmer.

You might also notice I've moved the auto top-up from the old tank as well.

The stand keeps getting closer to being finished too. I thought I took more shots of the painting... apparantly not :nut:

I've also added some Caribsea Reefloor aragonite which I had spare around the bommie at the end of the tank. This was in anticipation of adding the BTA from the old tank and trying to restrict it from walking to other parts of the tank.

It took a few days to get the anemone off the rock (of course it had to be the largest of the rocks in the old tank) but my patience bred success.

Stayed there less than an hour :bs:

Has been wandering around the tank since. Doesn't seem to like the flow.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Sep 26 Update

Postby StripestheEel » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 8:12 pm

Looks good dude, I feel for you re: anemones though :roflmao:
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby pebbles » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 8:38 pm

Yeah, hope the nem settles down soon... like before you go way next month :angel:

Your majestic will look great in that tank - but have you thought about an automated feeder? :-s
Just that a week of no food will encourage the angel to nip IMO. And when a large angel decides it likes LPS, well its all downhill from there. :(

But the tanks looking very nice Ollie. :wavey:
angie
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
NSW Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 1:18 am

StripestheEel wrote:Looks good dude, I feel for you re: anemones though :roflmao:

It hadn't moved for two years prior to me trying to pry it from its well established home :roll:

pebbles wrote:Yeah, hope the nem settles down soon... like before you go way next month :angel:

Your majestic will look great in that tank - but have you thought about an automated feeder? :-s
Just that a week of no food will encourage the angel to nip IMO. And when a large angel decides it likes LPS, well its all downhill from there. :(

But the tanks looking very nice Ollie. :wavey:

It has two weeks to plant itself somewhere not that I have an alternate plan if that doesn't happen :nut:

You got me thinking of the automated feeder so much so I should have one in a couple of days - Eheim twin :crossfingers: it does the job

Then again my Angel is going to be just that - an Angel :angel:

Speaking of I gave another bath of hydrogen peroxide. This time up to 90ppm for 45 minutes. The angel was not showing any signs of infection but it was suggested ( :bow: Pebbles) to me to try a week or so in a clean QT since I had been returning the fish to an infected system.

So I had to make another QT. Easy enough with some parts I already had lying around.
  • 60L Tub
  • Piece of 100mm storm pipe with screw cap fitting
  • Some pump plumbing parts
  • Spare Aquabee UP1000 (from my DIY Ca Reactor days)
  • Another small pump from somewhere
  • Spare heater
  • A few other bits of DWV pipe and fittings

The 100mm storm pipe was already fitted with the screw cap and eggcrate from when I was toying with ideas way back in the early days of my first sump (see pic). I packed this with a piece of filter mat I already had running in the new tank along with a fresh piece. The Aquabee UP1000 pumps water through the filter material. I have room to add a bag of carbon too if required.

The other small pump is for circulation. The tub is lit by the same light that was already on the QT.

When I dumped her into the new QT she was having a bit of a sulk showing me an upraised tail from a corner of the tub. That was until a little bit of pellet got her revving again :clownfish: She appears to really be on the mend with her fluorescent blue starting to show around her head again :nod:

I also managed to catch my elusive Redline shrimp and so was transferred tonight.

And a few other snaps of the inhabitants:

Cheezo him... I mean herself now
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Sep 29 Update

Postby Deek » Thu 30 Sep, 2010 9:05 am

Wow, you have been busy Oli :)
Everything is looking great. The majestic is looking great mate!
Deek
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby galleri3090 » Sun 14 Nov, 2010 9:50 pm

Alright, Oliver. You've got the girl ... now time for an update :poke:

Michael
galleri3090
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 15 Nov, 2010 12:30 am

:)

I know, I know. My attentions have been focused on study for work :madface: . I promise to post something by the end of the month :angel: which may or may not include pictures due to a recent "moisture altercation" event the camera had whilst in Fiji getting said girl :o
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 05 Jan, 2011 1:00 pm

Seems I broke my promise :oops:

Well end of September was the last update. I really haven't had much chance to do anything with the tank other than clean the glass, and that needs to be scraped of Coralline again, and clean the skimmer.

Unfortunately my Bubble Tip anemone is a listed casualty :( It was one of the very first invertebrates I acquired when I started out. It hadn't moved since the old 3 footer was moved into the current address - about 1.5 years. The anemone just never settled and eventually it split itself. Both pieces disappeared into the rockwork and I think they both ended by being drawn through the eductors.

The Majestic has well and truly settled in. I was worried that the Purple Tang would take exception to any new comers. Turns out I was worried over nothing as the Angel and Tang are the best of buddies. They swim together never far from each other. The Majestic's Pectoral fin that was severely damaged when she was sick has completely healed now which I am grateful for. What I am not grateful for is the Majestic's appetite for purple tip Cataphyllia :wall: This coral being one of my favourites has closed up and extends what's left of its tips by dark.

I also needed to re-aquascape the bommie. Some of the rocks shifted and I have suspicion it was a big-ass crab. There is definitely a largish crab that I have seen but I suspect one or two other bigger crabs. The one I know of has a hole that he closes with the bits of now dead coral frags that had gone mysteriously missing including the skeleton of my missing orange Fungia coral. It was about 50mm diameter now cut into pieces. I nearly had the thieving crab yesterday but he got away. I am now armed with some metal skewers and I think that the other inhabitants will be dining on crab meat very soon.

I've also dealt with a couple of equipment issues. The skimmer appeared to have dropped performance significantly and I could see that the water level in the skimmer exit chamber was not running as high as it should have been. I removed the pump to check for anything in the needlewheel but to no avail. Thinking the worst I removed the pump a second time for a deep clean again to no avail. Then :think: I realised that not as much air was being drawn so off with the pump again to clean the air intake. This is the point when I realise how dumb I can get - a snail was lodged in the intake manifold just before the impeller where it narrows a bit :bs:

Since then I have removed a number of snails. Just earlier this morning I removed another four. I will have to do something with the overflow. The eggcrate is not cutting it. Currently the weir is rimmed by eggcrate two squares high. The tank water level runs just high enough so that a meniscus forms with the middle eggcrate. I have removed a few cross-braces of the eggcrate so that it is one unit wide by two high and this allows some of the surface scum to get into the weir but is it still not ideal. Seems to also allow a number of reasonable sized snails into the skimmer to cause issues.

The other equipment issue has been with the Tunze. I finally got around to installing the silent clamps - they work btw. I took the opportunity to clean the pumps for the first time since installed - some eight months. Wow, what a difference. I obviously added the sand that is in there when the performance of the pumps was already reduced as it blew the sand away at the end of the tank. Whilst cleaning the pumps I needed to disassemble them when I discovered that one of the pumps was missing one of the plastic washers at the rear of the impeller. A warranty claim. Not as straight forward as I hoped unfortunately. My honesty was in doubt as it appeared unbelievable that I would be cleaning the pumps for the first time eight months in. Apparently if the washer was missing the pump would be making lots of noise and the silicon grommet would be destroyed; it didn't and it wasn't. Also two of the four shafts was found with rust - really not happy about this. The distributor did provide me with four new replacement impellers which I received via express post so I suppose it ended well but I am left with a sour taste tbh.

I replaced all four impellers. I think one of them is making too much noise at 100% so I'll need to pull it out again today for further investigation.

I also began testing phosphate with a Hanna checker. A month and a half ago PO4 tested at 0.00 :o I ran the test a couple of times again a few weeks ago with the same result but I think I'll take that at the upper end of the accuracy 0.04ppm. Now I had doubt with the checker I then tested the water still sitting in the old 3 footer which tested at 1.50ppm.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Tone » Sun 09 Jan, 2011 6:05 pm

All looks fantastic, Oliver, and you're sure handy with the tools be they carpentry or photography.

I'm quite envious of your PO4 readings :)

Tone :cheers:
"These are my Principles... if you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx.
Reefing since '93.
2000L Reef.

Originator of MASQ
Tone

Postby StripestheEel » Sun 09 Jan, 2011 8:24 pm

Get that camera fixed and take some pics, stat!
StripestheEel

Postby CheezotheClown » Thu 13 Jan, 2011 12:27 am

Tone wrote:All looks fantastic, Oliver, and you're sure handy with the tools be they carpentry or photography.

I'm quite envious of your PO4 readings :)

Tone :cheers:

Thanks for the compliments Tone :thumbsup:

The PO4 readings are more ass than class I think - all I did was plonk 100g or so of Phosban into a FBF. Keep in mind I'm still pretty lightly stocked and I don't feed much. I do think that the DSB and kick ass skimmer are doing their part though.

StripestheEel wrote:Get that camera fixed and take some pics, stat!

Camera is fixed and back so I'll try to post up the pics as soon as I get a chance :nod:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby ryanrid » Thu 13 Jan, 2011 9:49 am

hey oli how you been?
would like to see some updated pics, how are the frags going?
ryanrid
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 9:34 pm

ryanrid wrote:hey oli how you been?
would like to see some updated pics, how are the frags going?

Been well Ryan. Pics included. The frags unfortunately haven't survived :( They either RTN'd or the crab got it and now uses the skeletons to taunt me by placing them in the entrance of his cave.

The same happened to one of the two frags Galleri gave me. The surviving one is colouring up though :clap:

I've also had an explosion of halimedia . I quite like the look of it but I should also have known that I should be watching the alk and Ca levels more closely. By the time I tested the alk was down to 2.29meq/L. The Ca was stable at 430ppm though. Much of the macro has been trimmed now.

On to the photos:

There is a pic of a cowrie getting personal with my Blasto. Are cowries know to eat coral?

You can also see the Cataphyllia with the last pic being it recovering. I am still thinking of moving it into QT :crossfingers: the Majestic found it a passing fad.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby galleri3090 » Mon 17 Jan, 2011 7:35 am

Beautiful Photo's, Oliver. Amazingly crisp, I'd love to get some photography tips from you oneday.

Michael
galleri3090
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Tue 18 Jan, 2011 11:33 am

galleri3090 wrote:Beautiful Photo's, Oliver. Amazingly crisp, I'd love to get some photography tips from you oneday.

Michael

Thanks Michael :thumbsup: I've learned that the lens must be perpendicular to the glass otherwise distortion and poor focus result. I also place the lens against the glass to remove reflection particularly from the flash.

Quick update, I've sumped the larger of two cowries. I caught it chewing on my Blasto for the last few nights and last night I found it munching on my Cat. I wonder if I have been too hasty condemning the Angel, although I did see her eating the purple tips :nono:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Feb Update

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 3:02 pm

It's been too long.

Firstly an updated FTS from February. Picture is stitched from three.

Already out of date because I reaquascaped again since. Nothing major just rebuilding what has been moved by those crabs I can't get to.

This "frag" is starting to gain momentum. It is not a deliberate frag and looks like a Galaxea. I did have a Galaxea that fianally let go a few months ago after hanging on to a few recessed polyps. Maybe it is from that or it could have come with the rock. Interestingly it is wearing a skirt of macro algae which it has managed to keep at bay.

I broke a bit of the blue acro recently when moving it. The bit that fragged was from the underside of the colony and so did not display any blue colour. I stuck it to a rock to see if it would take and colour up. :clap: it is.
and side view

Gallerie3090's frag. Colouring and forming new branches

I also received a few frags from Zeason ( :thumbsup: much appreciated). I haven't photographed them all yet but this is one

During the reaquascape the Dallas needed to be restuck. In fact it has been restuck again in much the same orientation but a little to the left facing the bommie at the end of the tank. It looks ridiculous ATM but once it starts branching should be good. Looking like much potential right at the tip for many branches :nod: Thanks to Dviv and Stoli for the frag.

And an end shot of the tank

I passed by Salt Aquariums on the way home from Bathurst over the weekend. Probably my fave LFS and wish they were closer. I was on the lookout for three smallish bannerfish and Salt had exactly that. They were dipped for 30 min in a 60ppm H2O2 bath before going to QT.

I've also been tinkering with the sump. Still not happy with the amount of particulate matter in the display I constructed a ledge made from eggcrate where the skimmer outlet could pour over some filter matting. Works for about half a day before the mat starts to clog and the water flows over it not through it. Design change and rediscovering the filter sock I have, placed that over the skimmer outlet. Works great until the sock clogs and you come home to water back-splashing out of the filter sock and landing occasionally outside the sump. Must have lost 20L. Unfortunately this was onto(under :dead: ) the floating timber floor. It has already started to bow up where the tank isn't weighing it down :wall:

Lesson re-learnt not to make changes if you are going to be away for a few days after the change :bored: Tee piece put back and sock attached to that now.

I've also added a new HC1000A Hailia chiller. Probably would have been better at the start of summer but it will pull 1*C an hour in a room with ambient above 30*C. Unfortunately it is hideously noisy with no way to move it outside. The Resun CL450 has been moved to the QT in the garage. This allows for a more stable environment for whatever is being QT'd.

Speaking of the QT, I've also fired up the AquaC EV180. Emptied about 15L onto the garage floor over night for me this morning. Have I mentioned how much I like the Deltec before :roll:
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 14 Mar, 2011 9:18 pm

The last of the Bannerfish died today :(

I had started a treatment of hypo. I think ammonia from its predecessor that died last night further punished its gills. I don't think hydrogen peroxide by itself is a suitable treatment for c. irritans.

I'm also watching my main tank very closely. I believe there may have been a few white spots on my tang. :crossfingers: it turns out to be nothing. I've tried to be so careful not to cross contaminate between the QT and DT.
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby n0rk » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 12:51 am

I heard someone say they were going to give us an update when they got home today... :poke:
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
n0rk

Postby CheezotheClown » Mon 21 Mar, 2011 1:09 am

n0rk wrote:I heard someone say they were going to give us an update when they got home today... :poke:

Pesky kids and their fandangled technology :pirate: I thought I had another day before you got home :tongue:

Your frags are in and stuck in place BTW which I think is in record time for me. Normally frags get to travel the tank a bit to see the sights before being homed. :crossfingers: the green acro holds on.

Provided your flight is late and/or seriously delayed I should have some new pics tomorrow before you get home :)
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby n0rk » Tue 22 Mar, 2011 4:17 pm

Fandangled technology? I believe it's called "Ming's iMac" in most circles... :roflmao: impressed they're mounted already, hopefully it works out well for you mate :) it should do, they were pretty tough. Looking forward to the photos!!

Was great to meet you on the weekend Ollie :cheers:
n0rk

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Mar Update

Postby CheezotheClown » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 7:48 pm

Great to have met you too Ben :cheers:

Kicking off with your two:

The polyps are out on the monti :clap: so must like its new home.

The other was looking a little worse for wear but so far has not lost any more tissue.

Snaps of others:
Zeason's frags

Some of the other acros. They look promising with a greener tinge every day on the pocci.

and these two coming back from a quick visit to blandville

and a few others

FTS update on the first page but here is an end shot
CheezotheClown
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Cheezo's 6x2.5x2 Funhouse - Mar Update

Postby n0rk » Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:06 pm

Tank's looking good mate :nod: that Stylo didn't like the move down, but the Monti seems to be pumping in whatever tank it's ended up in. Hopefully you can bring out the colours I know it has... :devil:

:clap:
n0rk

PreviousNext

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)