• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Macca's 8x2x2 - all gone :-(

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 - Update FTS of new aquascape

Postby Macca_75 » Thu 08 Dec, 2011 6:45 am

Good news - all the fish still seem to be alive and going well.

There's defintely no substitute for Sunlight. As the tank is currently in the garage it gets the morning sun through a window and the corals react nicely :thumbsup:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 09 Dec, 2011 9:31 am

Last night the tank temp got up to 29.4.

Cooled it down with a fan and turned the MH's off. "Dory" started exhibiting whitepot as well.

This morning the temp was down to a nice(er) 26. Before work I changed about 100 litres (the water is stored under the garage so it's nice and cool also) and now th tank is sitting around the 25 mark - happier with that. Since it's a hot day I'll leave the lights out and check it again tonight. The garage does get natrual, non direct light from the window so the corals should be OK for a few days if needed. One of the downsides of having the tank in the garage is the garage does get hot on hot days - somehting I'll need to watch for the next few weeks.

Checked on "Dory" and the whitespot appeared to have receeded which was good. That and a water change should help keep it in check. Also lowered the salinity by including and extra 30 litres of RO as part of the change (won't have much of an effect - but I'll replace an extra 20 every day and bring it down from 1.026 to 1.024).

Anyway, so far so good. No livestock loss.

One of the BTA's had gone for a walk and found itself a nice home under a Tunze rock - luckily there was no damage.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 14 Dec, 2011 10:37 am

Well sad day, but the Bangaii seems to have gone MIA for a few days now. Most likely worm food.

The blue tank is still doing well (still has whitespot but it's not getting worse) and it's still eating well. I'm only running the lights every 3rd day (the garage gets plenty of natural, non direct light).

Corals seem to be going really well and none of the other fish seem to be affected.

Not ideal, but getting all the fish out and treating isn't an option right now. Hopefully I can keep everything alive for the next few weeks. When the tank is ready to move back in the house I can then house the all the fish in tubs and start treatment.

I have 2 heaters (and should be able to get a third) so I can heat the main tank, and 1 or 2 100l tubs.

I can put 2 x 6105's in the main display which will suffice and another 2 x 6105's (1 per tub) for required.

Lights will go back on the main tank.

It might be OK :crossfingers:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Sat 17 Dec, 2011 11:01 pm

Good news is all fish seem to be doing well now. The whitespot seems to have all but disappeared - I know it's there and will start treating in the next few weeks, however for now all fish seem to be doing well.....
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby kj52faith » Sun 18 Dec, 2011 6:12 pm

Your tanks got some many softies haha.
kj52faith
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Thu 26 Jan, 2012 9:01 am

Well the recent wave of consecutive hot days in Melb has taken it's toll.

The tank has reached 30+ and sat there for days on end despite my best efforts to cool it down (damn it gets hot in the garage).

So far I have lost a newly aquired Sailfin tang (was a trade). A small step has been made towards getting the tank back inside though so hopefully I am only a few weeks away now.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 03 Feb, 2012 11:45 am

Tested the tank last night. I have to admit it doesn't get the attention it deserves struck in the garage.

Params all seemed pretty good actually

Phos: .4 (need to chanrge the Rowa out but I was expecting it to be a little higher to be honest)
Ph: 8.4
Ca: 458 (Hanna) - which is about 410 with my salifert. I still need to test my NSW and use that as a baseline/target
Mag: 1140
Temp: 26 - thank god for the cooler weather
Salinity: 1.024
Alk: 7

I added Bicarb to by RO top (to drip feed it in) but the drum was to full to shake. Stupid me decide to empty a little into the sump to allow space to shake the drum. I got distracted and dumped all of it at once.

Hopefully there won't be to much damage when I get home tonight.

I also noticed last night I haven't seen my Bi-color in a while. As he was always out I suspect it's now in fishy heaven. Doh. Almost certainly due to hot temps. Can 't wait to get the tank back into the house - probably still 3 weeks away though.

I'll have to go home and take a stock of what I have left and record it here for a point in time snapshot.

On a positive not the Corals seem to be going great being left alone and the temps don't seem to have affected them at all.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby gazman33 » Sat 03 Mar, 2012 9:19 am

Spewing about the sailfin tang mate sad to hear he died i had him from when he was about 4cm long :( bloody melb weather all over the shop.
gazman33
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Sat 03 Mar, 2012 2:00 pm

yeah - settled in nicely - no fighting or anything. I've lost about 1/2 my fish.

Thank god for the cooler weather though - the tank goes back ni the house in 2 weeks from now. Big day but it'll be worth i.

Hows the coral going?
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby gazman33 » Sun 11 Mar, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah the coral is going fine now that I'm getting the phosphates under control sing out if you need any help moving the tank in the house I'm tipping it wouldn't be an easy job specially up those stairs
gazman33
Bicentenary Reefer

Previous

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)