• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Macca's 8x2x2 - all gone :-(

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Postby sydneydrewid » Tue 17 Nov, 2009 10:13 pm

very pretty sofite tank you've got there.. Congrats :thumbsup: how old is it?
sydneydrewid
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 18 Nov, 2009 8:38 am

Thanks - been going about 8 years now (altough only about 5 in our current house.)

That flubber certainly is easy to loko after. I'm think some more flow and then more fish is on the cards.

Wouldn't mind eventually adding more zoo's etc and getting rid of the morphs.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 02 Dec, 2009 8:18 am

I decided the Vortech wasn't cutting the mustard (so to speak).

I loved the pump and the controller, it just couldn't get the flow along the length of my tank (being 8x2x2).

Time to change to the Tunze gear. I order 2 x 6105's with the 7096 controller (effectively giving me a TS24 kit)

Having a look here is a side by side comparision of sizes (comparing only the wet side of th Vortech to the new 6105)

And from the side

And lastley in the tank

As with all the reading, the tunze defintely have a more direct flow. I've added 1 at either end. Running just 1 pump can move the sandbed 3/4 the length down the tank (and that's not pointed directly at the sand bed either).

Once I hooked up the 7096 controller (the new USB controller) getting wave action was a breeze (although I have now got it set on sequential random flow). Still playing trying to find the best settings.

Last night I also enabled night mode and the moonlight. Not sure if I'll keep the moonlight on though as I have the fishbowl moonlight system anyway. The tunze light is a greenish - personally I prefer the blue output from the fishbowl LED's. The Tunze Moonilght does however focus into a point so maybe I'll keep it and direct it to a particular coral or something.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Tom the Reefer » Wed 02 Dec, 2009 8:57 am

nice Tank well done ! :clap:
Cheers
Tom

Have a great day

My 1000ltr LED Beauty
Tom the Reefer
RTAW Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member

You a happy chappy or sad?

Postby REDSEA » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 10:11 pm

So Macca how you finding the Tunze compared to the Vortechs you happy or sad :devil: ?

Im glad I changed over I did like the Vortech but having played with both I much prefure the Tunze better for a longer tank and vertually silent which what I wanted.

:cheers: Danny
View my Tank Journal - DANNYS' NEW 1000ltr MIXED REEF TANK (Loads of Pictures)
Got a budget in mind.....TRIPLE IT!... AND THEN SOME !
REDSEA
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 7:11 am

Glad I did it.

It's like everything you read - The Vortech had a nicer, wider flow. It just ran out of puff to short.

I like the Tunze controller (the fact you only need 1 to run all your pumps - big deal if the Vortech is wireless) better except it has no lagoon or reef crest mode. Put either - or both - of these onto the Tunze controller :cheers:

Also with the Tunze it's easy enough to create a wave using the self tuning - something I could never quite get with the Vortech because of the length of the tank and the somewhat short pushing power. Danny - given you've got 4 6105's you should seriously consider ditching your 7095 and getting the 7096. Run 2 pumps in wave mode and the other 2 in pulse mode. Theat would be an awersome flow situation you;d have going on there.

So the things I miss about the Vortech - the reef crest and Lagoon modes on the controller. Also the ability to remove the wet side for cleaning without removing my hood.

Everything else is better about the Tunze. ;)
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby REDSEA » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 5:54 pm

Macca_75 wrote:Glad I did it.

It's like everything you read - The Vortech had a nicer, wider flow. It just ran out of puff to short.

I like the Tunze controller (the fact you only need 1 to run all your pumps - big deal if the Vortech is wireless) better except it has no lagoon or reef crest mode. Put either - or both - of these onto the Tunze controller :cheers:

Also with the Tunze it's easy enough to create a wave using the self tuning - something I could never quite get with the Vortech because of the length of the tank and the somewhat short pushing power. Danny - given you've got 4 6105's you should seriously consider ditching your 7095 and getting the 7096. Run 2 pumps in wave mode and the other 2 in pulse mode. Theat would be an awersome flow situation you;d have going on there.

So the things I miss about the Vortech - the reef crest and Lagoon modes on the controller. Also the ability to remove the wet side for cleaning without removing my hood.

What about noise levels can you compare or they are like chalk and cheese?
View my Tank Journal - DANNYS' NEW 1000ltr MIXED REEF TANK (Loads of Pictures)
Got a budget in mind.....TRIPLE IT!... AND THEN SOME !
REDSEA
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby mgrav » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 6:23 pm

Looks great Macca. I have a "soft" spot for softy reefs. If I lived closer to a NSW source I would have a large reef just like yours.

:clap:
mgrav
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Tue 08 Dec, 2009 9:29 pm

mgrav wrote:Looks great Macca. I have a "soft" spot for softy reefs. If I lived closer to a NSW source I would have a large reef just like yours.

:clap:

Thanks. I don't really get the whole fasination with coloured sticks personally.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 08 Jan, 2010 1:02 pm

REDSEA wrote:
Macca_75 wrote:Glad I did it.

What about noise levels can you compare or they are like chalk and cheese?

The Tunze are dead silent however my Vortech never really was that load. I must have got lucky ;) You could really only hear it when it wound up or down
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 11 Jan, 2010 8:48 am

Picked up the following from a fellow RTAW member who is selling up and moving to Darwin.

2 x Black clowns
And they seem to have settled into a BTA OK

1 x Orange Spot surgeon fish (Acanthurus olivaceous)
(I actually like this photo - not sure why)
and another where he appears more still

1 x Blue tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)

3 x Blue green Chromis (Chromis viridis) (we all know what they look like, but here's one of them anyway)

1 x Spotted Blenny (Istiblennius meleagris)

1 x Fungia sp floro green

Brain coral green

Elegance coral (Catalaphylia jardinei)
(haven't found the right spot yet - it's coming out but I have to find it a nicer spot)

2 x Diogenidae Hermit Crabs
Hard to get a photo of these now, but I will...

Small amounts of Lobophytum sp

Small amounts of favia sp

And here's a sample of some of the LR she also threw in. It's got a selection of small corals on it, however I think most of the green growth will be gone before long with my tangs...

And this coral suffered an issue in her tank went a cuc went belly up in her tank. I'm hoping it will come good :thumbsup:

All fish seemed to settle in well. The only issue was the black clowns seem to be sorting out a pecking order with my current orange one. The smaller black clown did end up in the wier so i left him there the day. You'd think withe the 6 or 7 BTA's in there that there would be enough room but they seem to want the same one.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby shannonpayne86 » Fri 29 Jan, 2010 1:54 pm

Awesome, how about an updated FTS?
shannonpayne86
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 - 17/5/10 - Have a done the wrong thing??

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 17 May, 2010 9:54 pm

Have I done the wrong thing?

Yesterday I swapped 2 black clowns for a pair of Clark's and now I'm questioning my decision.

Winding back a bit, I bought all the stock from another forum member’s tank shutdown. I ended up buying everything except the pair of clowns as I already had a pair of Percs. I made the snap decision to take the pair of black clowns as well. My reasoning was I have an 8' with 10 or so BTA's spread throughout it. Surely they could find their own space and tolerate each other.

Well it turned out the juv black clown happily hosted with the percs, but the larger black clown was driven away by the percs. Maybe feel bad for the sole clown.

Then Ausreefkeeper advertised a pair of Clarks. He warned me of their aggression but I thought, Hmmm. 8' tank, plenty of BTA's. Surely they could find their own space and tolerate each other. Could a swap be a good thing???

Well now the Percs have been chased out of their anemone and are showing a few battle scars. (See below). A few bite marks and the male has a section of tail fin missing. The dive bombing seems to have lessened (now it's a chase and not an all out attack). If it doesn't lessen of by tomorrow I'm going to have to get rid of 1 of the pairs.

You can't really see the bites marks in the photo below

And here's a shot of the main aggressor

The Clarks don't seem to be showing aggression towards any of the other fish.

On a positive note I also managed to trade a few frags

And a couple of random shots

Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 - 19/6/10- Clowns have started spawning.

Postby Macca_75 » Sat 19 Jun, 2010 1:05 pm

Well it's been a while since my last update.

On the 31/5 I found the Female Occy dead - being eaten by my Urchin. I have a photo but don't think it's a great one to put online.

A few days later I noticed my male getting bolder during lights out and coming out. I managed to catch him and gave him away to a LFS on 12/6.

I've picked up a new pH kit and have confirmed that my old kits are crap - they are all in the bin now.

Current tank params as of today:

Alk - between 8 and 9 dKh (API - green at 8, yellow at 9.
Temp - ranges from 27.4 to 27.6 +/- 1 degree
Salinity - 1.030 (bringing that down as I didn't realise it was that high - normally I like to run this at 1.027)
pH - 8.2 (and I belive this kit :roflmao: )
Calcium - need to pick up a new kit. I've added 1 1/2 bags of damprid but the same old crap kits refuse to show any difference and have it at about 300 ppm ish. On the plus side since adding the Damprid the fwe LSP I have seem to be going better.

And the big news.

I increased the lighting from 8hrs/day (MH) to 10 hrs/day over the last 4 days. This morning I cleaned the back glass of my tank and found a clutch of Clown eggs. About the size of a 50c peice. Not sure how long they have been there though as I haven't cleaned the glass in a week. Not ready to try and raise this batch (or the next few for that matter) but I hope to give it a crack 1 day. At least they are spwaning now. :clap:

The male tending to the eggs

And after trying to get a few decent shots the female was none to imressed.

It's hard to get a clear shot as I am jammed around the back of the tank and due tot he position I need to shot on an angle anyway (and it's under a rock so the lighting is low as well). :konk:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 - 20/6/10 - Clowns eggs gone

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 12:19 pm

I checked on the eggs around midnight - approx 12 hours since seeing them. About 1/2 had already gone (hatched I assume). I turned the pump off when about 1/2 were gone and could see them swimming around not far from the hatching site.

By lights on all were gone.

I must have noticed them just before they were ready to hatch. This matches with what i am currently readin in Joyce's book on "Clownfish". I could clearly see the silver eyes.

And the male is out and about feeding again.

At least now I know where to look for the batches of eggs if/when i ever get setup to rear them.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 - 19/6/10 - Clowns have started spawning

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:22 am

Seems like they are start to spawn regulary.

yesterday afternoon when I got home (around 4pm) I check their spot and it was cleaned up nicely.

Had a quick look about 10 mins later and caught them in the actual process of laying and fertilising the eggs. Not sure how long this went on for but checked about 1/2 later and they had finished. It was a much bigger nest than last time. I guess in a week I'll see if they are all still there or if it looks much like what I saw the night before the hatch.

Anyone who has some rots ready to go is more than welcome to the eggs :cheers:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 - 23/6/10 - Clowns spawning like clockwork

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 12 Jul, 2010 8:08 am

Here’s the latest addition.
I picked him up from a local member of this forum - Hermione. :thumbsup:

We had a little trouble getting him in the net at first and then his cheek spikes and fin got stuck in the net. We got him out as gently as possible however he was laying sideways in the esky. A bit of a gentle poke with the handle of the net and he seemed to swim a little, only to lie on his side again. Not good I thought.

Got home 15 minutes later and began the acclimatise him. He looked even worse. I took the risk and added him straight into my tank.

The next morning he was good as gold, albeit a little timid.

I have to admit I've never noticed the white spikes on the Bi-color's cheeks until now.

And here are a few other random shots. Firstly the green coral (id please ??) I was worried about losing (I love the look of this one) - seems I managed to get the tank fixed in time and haven't lost this one.

Can anyone ID this one below? I think it will be OK as the flesh seems to be not receding any more. Hopefully in time it will grow back. Esp. now I am watching my water parameters a little better.
And last but not least my pair of clowns hanging out in their anemone. The last clutch of eggs has just hatched, hence why the male isn't around the back tending to them.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 - 12/7 New edition and Corals seems stable

Postby Hermione » Mon 12 Jul, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm so glad he survived - I was wondering but afraid to ask. He really didn't look good in the esky. Thanks for taking him for me. He looks at home in your tank :cheers: He's such a great fish and I miss him :(
You've got some good photos there - I couldn't take a good tank photo to save myself.
Hermione
RTAW Reefer

Postby damer » Mon 12 Jul, 2010 5:28 pm

bugger about losing the female ocellaris, but frenatus clowns (they arent clarkii) are very aggressive.

tanks looking good though
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
damer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
MASOV Committee
MASOV Member Current
MASOV Sponsor

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 8:29 am

Well I've suffered a few losses over the past months.

I'll ahve to try and write a full current stock list when I have time one night, but recently the Kleins was found fouling the tank up. Not sure what happened there.

I'm also down to 1 Bangaii. I had two females so I'm not sure if that was an issue or not.

My poor little occy's are gone (The tomatoes killed the female off and I managed to get the male out and give it to a LFS).

The Gobies are long gone.

The Sailfin tank went MIA about 6 months ago.

The last of the 2 Barrier reef chromis is no longer here.

I'm down to 2 Blue/greens.

It's really quite dipressing when you look at the losses of the last 18 months.

On the positive side I have been spending up on equipment over the same period.

I will soon be adding 2 more 6105's (in rocks) thanks to relo's who are bringing them out as gifts from Germany and plan to do some re-aquascaping when I get time. I'll be removing the old SEIO's, but still will have about 50x turnover when running them at full speed.

I recently added a new return as the Ehiem of 10years finally gave in. Time to upgrade to more flow anyway through the sump.

And the fishbowl moonlights are working a treat.

The skimmer seems to be idle 90% of the time, but when needed (like when the kleins wiped out and at feeding times) it does go nuts so I'm happy it's working

I'm going to add a Copperband in an effort to battle apstasia and a Juv. Emporer purely for asthetic reasons.

Then I'll think about adding either a Gobie or 2 to try and clean the subsrtate up and if needed some peppermints.

Oh, the joys keep me going through the wipeouts.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby imy » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 8:42 am

Bummer. Sounds like a dodgy time for you. I like the sounds of the new additions though. I want and emp angel but don't want to risk it munching my corals (takes too much effort to get them here!) I definitely need to see pics when you get yours! :)
imy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 20 Aug, 2010 10:12 pm

Feeling a little down with a few recent losses in the tank.

A BTA has swept across a heap of fluffy Morphs and nuked them (and they are the ones I like :furious: )
Lost the Kliens a while ago - come home 1 day and he was dead. No indication why - everything else in the tank seemed fine.

And that nice little Bicolor I picked up has decided to eat anything resembling a LPS in my tank. First my lovely fluro green one, then the red on and he has now started on my last remaining one. Not sure what I'm going to do here - maybe build an eggcreate cage for the coral (short term) while I make a desicion.

Also the tank is looking a little dirty. I need a sand sifting Gobie to turn the sand over, the glass is getting coraline growth in the "hard to get" spots and I haven't given the tank a good clean with a razor for about 9 months or so now.

On a positive note my relo's have just retuned from a holiday in Germany and I now have the following goodies to add into my tank. :pirate:

This will give me 4 x 6105's on a controller. (about 50x turn over if they all ran flat out at the same time)

So I've decided to spend some time this weekend and make me feel good about it again.

List of Jobs:
Pull the tank apart and give the glass a good scape down.
Reaquascape the left side and push the rocks up against the glass into the corner. This will create an open void in the centre.
Pull the SEIO's out and add the Tunze in.
Shorten all the cords on the back where possible and try and neaten up the wiring.
Do a little maintanence on the hood so I can remove the Tunze for cleaning without pulling the hood off.
Put the lids back on the hood to try and trap some of the light escaping out the top.
Time permitting I'll also try and frag a few of the softies and collect all the loose morphs floating around the tank.

Thats enough for 1 weekend.

For historys sake here is a FTS.

Looking at the photo it looks like I have no fish - they must all be camera shy. Anyway current fish stock is

1x Orange shoulder tang, 1x Lawnmower blenny, 1x PJ Cardinal, 1x Bangaii Cardnial, 1x Bicolor, 1xFoxface, 2xTomato Clowns, 2x BlueGreen Choromis, 1x Blue Tang, 1x Scopas Tang

Oh - and still on the to do list:
Black Vinyl on the back of the tank.
Buy one of the "Two Fishes" magnetic Veggie clips
Replace both Actinic tubes with the Sylivania ones.
Buy some silicone tbuing/rubber matting/soundproofing material and try and quiten the skimmer down
Add the following livestock:
- Pepp's to try and get the Apstasia under control
- Juv Emporer - always wanted to keep one of these.
- Powder blue tang.
- Sand sifting gobies
- bicolor blenny
Build a frag rack
Buy a Thermostat to control the heaters

And then start adding some color in the way of corals. Oh has the list goes on........
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 - 20/8 Big weekend planned

Postby indoor_0cean » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 10:40 pm

Its good to see some older shots of this tank!

It looks so much nicer now though with the hidden pumps and new scape! Put a pic up!

The black vinyl will make a huge difference for such a easy cheap addition.

Thanks for the frags :bow:
indoor_0cean
Centurion Reefer

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 - 20/8 Big weekend planned

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 9:12 pm

Here's an updated shot of the new aquascape taken a few days ago.

Firtsly the left side (very little was done on the right so not much had changed there).
The Tunze rocks seem to stick out, but after a few days they have started to color up with algae.

And looking in from the left end of the tank

An of course an updated FTS

Last night my STUPID foxface went and trapped himself behind the rock work. I happened to be watching the tank at the time. He was there for no more than 1 minute. In that time he managed to smash and scrape his body against the sharp rocks and damage most of the flesh along 1 side of his body.

I've tried to take a few snaps but he was hiding under the rocks. The good nesws is these photo's were taken the next day. It looks 10 times better and he is out feeding. Hopefully he'll make a full recovery.

To be honest I think he is struggling a little. It seems to be the noisy house. When the kids are in bed he is
out a lot more.

Appologies but he was hiding under the rock so it was a little hard to get a decent photo.

For what they're worth
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 - Update FTS of new aquascape

Postby imy » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 9:25 pm

Yeow. Hope he gets better soon.
imy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Wed 01 Sep, 2010 9:40 pm

Poor fella, I'm sure he will come back good though!

I really liked the old aquascape though :bow:

Once you vinyl the back it will make it look like a new tank!
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby Macca_75 » Thu 02 Sep, 2010 8:49 am

StripestheEel wrote:Poor fella, I'm sure he will come back good though!

I really liked the old aquascape though :bow:

Once you vinyl the back it will make it look like a new tank!

Yeah - but the fish hid behind the rocks most of the time. There's a large open space in the middle now. the fish do seem to "hang out" there more and I plan to get a few corals and put them down there.

Thanks for the comments anyway. And I do hope the Foxface makes it. If he comes to good health I'll have to try and find him a better home - one where he isn't hiding out so much.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Barney83 » Sat 15 Jan, 2011 8:08 pm

This journal is well overdue for an update.
How's the foxface going, and did you get a Juv Emperor?
Barney83
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 4:27 pm

Barney83 wrote:This journal is well overdue for an update.
How's the foxface going, and did you get a Juv Emperor?

The foxface has recovered and you couldn't even tell he had the damage he did. I've since bought one of the TLF magnetic vieggie clips - these things are the bomb. It's so easy to add a sheet of Nori every morning without wetting your hand wet. Now because it's so easy I do it almost every morning and the Foxface is out far more (still a little skittish, but otherwise a really beautiful fish.

I've tried adding a few fish but all seemed to be intimidated and eventually died of starvation. The last fish I bought is a Kleins. I added him tot he sump for a few days first to ensure he was eating OK. Since adding him into the DT he is eating like a pig and holding his own gainst anything that tries to pull the territory card.

Still battleing with really really high nitrates. Trying to dose Lanthanun Chloride as per Tone and r0cksteady's method - hard to tell if I am gettign anywhere or not (every time I knock the phosphates down with a large water change it leeches out of the rocks, etc and ends up being off the scale on the Hanna) so all my $$$ is going towards a TLF Phosban 550 and Rowaphos (hope to have it installed and working within the month).

Then more live stock.

Als picked up a nice Lankia Starfish from Adrianvh and it seems to have settleed in nicely.

I'll have to take some pics one day...

Cheers
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 - Out with the old

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 07 Dec, 2011 8:49 am

Been a while since I've updated this TJ.

Anyway, here's what we did on 3/12..

You can see the mark on the floorboards (well , thats were they haven't faded over the 10 years anyway) from the old tank.

And it's new home (excuse the mess)

The move went well. It took about 5 hours to emtpy the water, rock, coral and livestock (3 of us), 1/2 hr to move the tank and stand out into the garage (6 of us) and another 2 hours to transfer all to stock back into the tank.

The water was really dirty as you could imagine before I put the fish back in, however the Ro 3000 worked really really well (for thye first time). About about an hours it had pulled all the crap from the water.

Thats when I added the fish back in. Also took that long to get the water back up to temp.

To date I still have lost any stock however 1 eye on 1 fish (the Bangaii) is a little cloudy. I am hoping a few largish water changes will see this right. I don't have any test kists for Amonia, nitrate, etc so the water changes should keep it in check.

Also lost a power supply for one of the 6105's (it works but the pump is really slow) Grrrr.

And thats all in preperation for An in wall tank
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)