• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

Macca's 8x2x2 - all gone :-(

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

Re: Macca's 8x2x2 pic on 02-07-2008

Postby bubbleboy » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:30 am

Macca_75 wrote:
bubbleboy wrote:Image

Great Set-up Adam :thumbsup:
I just notice on one of the pic with PJC, those blob on the glass, are they what i think they are ... Flatworms (Red Planaria) ? ??

Yeap. Seems I have a bit of an issue ATM.

Any known tried and true methods to fix it you know of? I have beaten them off before by reducing lights and feed for some time, but since switching over to the new tank they seem to have come back.

I have the same problem...... :wall:
One way IMO FLATWORM EXIT .. but make sure you thin them out first.
And get on top of them b4 they get on top of you!

HIH
Dave
Here is the link
http://www.melevsreef.com/flatworms.html
bubbleboy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Zeason » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:20 pm

bubbleboy wrote:
Macca_75 wrote:
bubbleboy wrote:Image

I just notice on one of the pic with PJC, those blob on the glass, are they what i think they are ... Flatworms (Red Planaria) ? ??

Any known tried and true methods to fix it you know of? I have beaten them off before by reducing lights and feed for some time, but since switching over to the new tank they seem to have come back.

HIH
Dave
Here is the link

I have found some in my display after I talked to Dave... :wall: :wall: although they are photosynthetic type, they could release toxin when they die. :wall: :wall: Just keep your eye on it.. maybe try to introduce some natural predator?
Zeason
RTAW Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:43 pm

Zeason wrote:
bubbleboy wrote:
Macca_75 wrote:[quote="bubbleboy"]Image

HIH
Dave
Here is the link

I have found some in my display after I talked to Dave... :wall: :wall: although they are photosynthetic type, they could release toxin when they die. :wall: :wall: Just keep your eye on it.. maybe try to introduce some natural predator?[/quote]
I've already got a six line in there for that purpose. And the infestation isn't as bad as it looks. This particular shot was taken whe the PJC was hiding as he was carrying eggs. He just happened to hide in the corner when the flatworms are present.

I'm going to try the syphon through a bag idea every couple of days and see how I go.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Zeason » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:46 pm

does your sixline eat any?? I'm looking for a sixline or a banana wrasse too!
Zeason
RTAW Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:48 pm

Zeason wrote:does your sixline eat any?? I'm looking for a sixline or a banana wrasse too!

In the start I think he did but now I think he prefers the prepared food better. Don't blame him - so would I :cheers:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby dartfish » Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:18 pm

A nudibranch called Chelidonura varians eats them, only they're quite hard to get. The brown worms are acoel flatworms. I also have lots of them they're quite frustrating when your sand is nice and clean and white only to be covered by lots of brown blobs...
dartfish
Centurion Reefer

Postby Hebbs » Sat 20 Sep, 2008 3:52 am

Have a look at my Nano journal in the link below, documents my ongoing battle.

Personally I am losing atm, Flatworm Exit is looking the go although I have put it off for as long as possible.

Good luck.

Hebbs
"It's not Rocket Surgery!"

My 6 Footer
Hebbs
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Sun 08 Feb, 2009 1:30 pm

Been a while since I did an update.

About a month ago I went dow to Reeflections and picked up a couple of nicely colored aqua cultured zoos.

On Friday Ernie finally amnage to get the gobies in I've ben waiting for, a pair of Orange Spot Goby (Orange Diamond Goby) - Valenciennea puellaris

Put them in the tank. Strange behavious. I went for cover immediatley and hung out under the rock for the remainder of that day and the next. The other was out and digging by the next day.

This morning I found 1 in the wier and another out and swimming,. however it darted for cover once the three boys started running around.

Neither have exactly gorged themsleves on food so it's up to the local freshwater aquarium for a double dose of live brine to see if I can entise them a little.

I've taken a few shots, but have run out of webspace. I need to sign up for a free account somewhere that allows a good volume of pics.

Fish stock as of 8/2/2009
1 x Scopas Tang
3 x Perc's and 2 x BTA's
1 x Sailfin Tang
2 x Bangaii Cardinals
1 x Six line wrasse
3 x Pyjama Cardinals
1 x Kleins Butterfly
1 x lawnmower
2 x Orange spot Gobies
Last edited by Macca_75 on Wed 11 Feb, 2009 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby fulltilt » Sun 08 Feb, 2009 1:46 pm

Macca_75 wrote:I've taken a few shots, but have run out of webspace. I need to sign up for a free account somewhere that allows a good volume of pics.
http://www.imagerocket.net/ for unlimited image hosting :)
fulltilt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Sun 08 Feb, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks - I'll look into this tonight if I get a chance.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Mon 09 Feb, 2009 8:59 pm

Here's a couple of Photo's of some of the older inhabitants. I'm trying to get the hang of our new camera, they are slowly getting better.

All photo's have been cropped, but no other post editing. Feel free to fix them. I can provide hi res images if needed.

One of the 2 Bangaii's. They're still a little young to sex but I hoping to have a pair.
I've had this sailfin for about 4-5 years now.
And of course the Scopas. Got him the same time as the Sailfin (they were about the size of a 50c coin)
Not sure what this Coral is if anyone can identify it? It seems to have fused onto the rock it sits on and it impossible to move now without moving the larger base rock.
2 of my Fav's - The male and the juvi. The big female doesn't seem to come out as much these days.
My new Valenciennea puellaris or Orange spot Gobies. After a few days of being in the tank, 1 seems to be settling in. It's made itself a new home and ventures out a little for food - although it's not eating enough for my liking. I haven't seen the other since it went in the tank - not a good sign. At least there's plenty of food in the substrate at the moment. I can't even tempt them out with live brine.
Last edited by Macca_75 on Tue 10 Feb, 2009 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby marks » Mon 09 Feb, 2009 9:18 pm

You need to add[img]web%20adddress[/img].
I think
Mark
marks
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby Rod the Reefer » Mon 09 Feb, 2009 10:33 pm

discus.g.c wrote:You need to add[img]web%20adddress[/img].
I think

That's right, I have fixed your links for you. Although there seems to be a large border around your pics.

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Welcome Team
MASAOG Member

Postby Macca_75 » Tue 10 Feb, 2009 7:02 am

Thanks guys. I tried that, but it didn't work. Not to worry - Thanks for fixing the links. I'll go and have a look at the source and see if I can figure out what I did wrong.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 11 Feb, 2009 7:32 am

Last night I heard the return pump making a strange noise. I don't want to turn it off in case it won't go back on again.

One of the Gobies seems to be getting to work, coming out every now and again, sifting the sand. I haven't seen the other for a few days now. I'm still not convincied the one that I do see is eating enough, but he still looks healthy. Only time will tell.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Macc's 8x2x2 - Good news for "Hello" and "Goo

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 13 Feb, 2009 4:47 pm

Since bringing the 2 Orange spot gobies home I thought I had lost 1 - That was until Wednesday night when I found it in the sump.

Anyways, there out and about a bit more now. Still not eating a great deal of prepared food but they look healthy enough for now destoying the sandbed.

Here's a pic of what "Hello" did.
Image from a flat sand bed.
Why are they named "Hello" and "Goodbye". Because thats what my 3 year old son called them, since one was out all the time and the other would hide when we first got them.

Other names that he has named the fish.

Lawnmower Blenny = "New Fish" because I told him to check out Dad's new fish.
2 x Bangaii = Bill and Ben (Anyone with kids that watch Thomas the tank know Bill and Ben are identical to look at)
Of course we have Nemo, Marlin and Coral. And poor Dory didn't survive the tank move a few month's back.

Anyway I'm much happier now that both the Orange spot appear to be out and about.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Macca's 8x2x2 - RIP

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 9:11 pm

Tonight I noticed that my female clown is no longer to be seen.

For about 3 weeks or so I have suspected that she may slowly be passing. She didn't eat much, didn't host with the other 2 clownfish she had hosted with for the previous 4 years I had her (I bought all 3 as a family about 4 years ago).

I can only assume it was old age as she was massive (in size compared to any other occy I had senn in any shop or tank) when I got her 4 years ago.

She will be missed as she would always be the first outr for a feed and would feed from your hand if you felt like doing that.

:( RIP

Here's a pic from previously in my TJ

Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 9:39 pm

The Gobies seemed to have settled in nicely

And their nightly routine of cleaning out before lights off

and a few of the usual suspects hanging around at feeding time

Just managed to pick myself a new toy off ebay. This is going to make the weekend feel like a long time. :wall:
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby StripestheEel » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 9:56 pm

Looking good
StripestheEel
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 7:59 pm

The Vortech is in.

At first it seemed to shut all the corals up, however I lifted it higher and the corals seem to be fairing a lot better.

Here's some morph's that were hidden under a Leather. I'm hoping color will return to the bleached one now it is in full light.

And some of the zoo's that closed. They are fairing better now I've moved the vortech up higher.

and last but not least a FTS
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 8:27 pm

Problem: My 1 and 3 year old often play around the tank. when they get behind the tank things like the lights and pumps get switched off at the power point.

Solution: Use some of the old server mounting rails I have lying around, screw on a bit of plywood and presto - barriers that slide back behind the tank to allow access, but when extended have locks to keep ilttle fingers and bodies out.

Closed:

1/2 Open:

And yes they do slide all the way open, but that wouldn't really show up in the photo :roflmao:

Now to give the wood a fwe coats of paint used on the wall to make it blend in...
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 8:40 pm

The photo's not doing to morph's justice, but the white morph's seem to be getting there color back nicely since moving the leather.

And this one seems to be opening much better since moving it into a stronger flow (Can anyone ID this coral please??)

Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Fri 22 May, 2009 8:20 am

Just received this baby yesterday. (and it's a 1.5 litre Coke bottle for scale, not a 600ml :cheers: )

And with a few hours cleaning

Should make a nice upgrade to my RedSea Berlin skimmer. I started cleaning it up and it's coming up like a new unit. Now I just need to figure out how to hook it up.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Macca's 8x2x2 - Moontubes + Skimmer upgrade

Postby Macca_75 » Thu 23 Jul, 2009 8:33 am

I bought some of the fishbowl innovations moonlights and opened them last night.

(Sorry for the lac of pic's - I have them and will try and include them tomorrow)

I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the quality control. I recevied a v4 moontube with the controller and v3 moontubes as the 2 extra's I ordered. The main difference being the v3 has 3 LED's and the v4 has 1 brighter LED. The difference is noticable in the tank however bearable. This was OK, but I was a little unhappy with the difference in lengths of the cables on the moontubes. I will post a photo showing the 3 different lengths. This impact where I could actually install them.

On the flip side when i put them on the tank it was amazing. On flat out you can see almost every nook and cranny and when dialed down you could still see the tank.

I am going to play around with the positioning and see how it goes, but overall I belive they are a great cosmetic addition.

I also upgraded the skimmer. It has been noisy to say the least, but is pulling some great skimmate.

I changed one of the standard RO impellors to http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/protein-skimmer-overflow-box/marine-sources-skimmer/pin-wheel-impeller-rotor-6530/prod_945.html from Guppies.

It was so much quieter. Performance seemed about the same however the bubbles do seem a bit finer.

On a sad note I have noticed about 4 weeks ago that I had lost 1 Lawnmower blenny and 1 of my Orange spot gobies :bawling:

At least now with the skimmer in operation the tank seems to have already started responding and the corals are looking better.[/img]
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Freds » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 11:58 am

Great idea with the back slide Macca_75

Looking good.
Freds
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 12:22 pm

Thansk fred. batteling Flatworm ATM. I have been busy siphoning off as many as I can every second day over the past week. Maybe tonight I will do a Flatworm eXit treatment and start killing them properly.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 12:25 pm

And here is a copy of a post I put in a seperate thread.

Firstly here is a shot of the controller, the moontube that comes with the controller (1 LED version) and 2 of the additional tubes (I have 3 in total on a 8x2x2 and think it's about right. You could possibly add a 4th but IMO this is a little bright when the house is in total darkness.)The controller really is tiny.

I was al ittle disapointed with the quality control. You can see here the 3 different lengths of cord that the 3 tubes had. You would think they would have a standard length. But in the end the cord on each was enough to place it where I wanted it.

I have included a shot of the v3 moontubes (3 LED's) and the v4 moontbe (1 LED). The v4 moontube does look a little brighter, but the difference isn't huge.

And finally a shot of the tubes on the tank. I couldn't get this shot adjusted right. Basically when running 100% there is a really nice shimmer effect on everything. Initially it doesn't loko that bright but when the surrounds are in total darkness it's about right (it looks slightly brighter than in this picture). The v4 moontube is on the right, but you can't really tell.

I have reset the timer so it aligns with the actual moon cycle outside.

I couldn't be happier with them and highly recommend them to anyone as a nice addition to their setup. I don't belive it has any benifit for the tank, although experiences out their do suggest it **may** encourage breeding.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Wed 19 Aug, 2009 6:31 pm

OK. So the flatworm eXit is in.

After about 1.2 hr I noticed all the worms curling up and dying :thumbsup:

I have done a 20% water change, syphoning out as many dead worms as I could. I noticed that the coralmorphs didn't seem to like the treatment to much and my largest leather also reclined. They all look fine and I'm sure will come back with a vengence.

The water defintely discolored and the skimmer (within 1/2 hr) got a oragne scum on it (similar to spagettit sauce around the edge of your bowl when you;ve finished eating.

Hopefully thats the end of the flatworms.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Thu 22 Oct, 2009 8:05 am

OK - I've been a bit slack since the last stock update.

1 of the Orange spot gobies has since passed. Happy to say the other seems to be doing really well.

I also added 2 coral gobies as part of the breeding challange. About a week later 1 went missing. Once again the remaining one seems to be doing fine. It's even setup a cleaning station where it services the larger fish.

I also added 2 Barrier Choromis at the same time. Once again 1 has since passed and the other seems to be doing well.

:wall: I always seem to be losing 1 Grrrr......

I got some new bulbs from AMD yesterday.

Here's a tank shot of the right side with the old globe.

And now with the new globe. The camera was on manual and the difference between the photo's is pretty close to the difference the new globe made. If you look on the left of the photo (where the old globe is) you can see the yellow vs. white.

And while I had the camera out here a slightly wider shot (with the old globes)

I'll add the other globe tonight when I get home from work.

It's time to re aquascape the left hand side I think.

I'll slightly adjust the right, stacking the rockwork higher up against the wier.

I'll seperate the 2 bommies in the middle and move the middle MH to the left (directly over the new Bommie). I might turn that left into a zoo or morph bommie - haven't decided yet.

And for the next fish I was thinking of adding:

1 x foxface (small)
1 x Lawnmower Blenny (Med - Lrge)
1 x Angel - Mabe a Juvy Emporer for a bit of different color.

I also wouldn't mind another tang or 3 ;)
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby Macca_75 » Tue 17 Nov, 2009 10:06 pm

Got bored on the weekend so I decided to do a little aquascaping.

Heres what the Left side looks like after the job was done.

And a day later

And a couple of shots of the right side

And some of the corals close up

And I aways thought the skimmer was a little to bog for my tank. Once I stirred up all the crap it really started to work.

Seems I just need to stock my tank more heavily.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer

PreviousNext

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)