• Advertisement
RTAW Advertiser

The Beginning of The End (The New Room)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Tank Journals, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship

The Beginning of The End (The New Room)

Postby sonofstarstamps » Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:15 pm

……..of my marriage, sanity and spare pocket money (not that I had any previously)

Enough reading, enough talking, enough spending endless hours dreaming and enough reading other peoples tank journals.

It’s been 6 years since I last had the pleasure of a marine tank, My oldies thought I should sell my tank and put the money towards a mortgage. So like all good ethnics, they plotted its demise.

When I was on holidays, the tank crashed, was dismantled and sold. Great welcome back from holidays surprise, more room in my study.

Boy was my parents surprised when I lost it.

Anyway, I diverted my hard earned monies into other equally financially damaging hobbies and wants. I got married (don’t know if this can be considered a hobby given its still my first, maybe be after my second or third)……………..I squandered ludicrous amounts on my home stereo (almost 6 figures), ridiculous amounts into photography, fishing, hunting and fishing equipment, of which I rarely have time to enjoy now days.

Although I am broke, miserably working 13 day fortnights to pay my refinancing of a mortgage. I showed them. :konk:

After all this I’m still married. I mean I tried to get rid of her, but then it hit me, after she did. I need a second income to fulfill my wants. Its then that I realized, God I love my wife,. Really.

Today I took a step forward.

I went on my monthly day dream through some of the LFS, my son was enthralled with the shark tank (you might of guessed- Majestic aquariums) and then it happened.
30 minutes later and I’m wandering how do I tell Attila the news……….won a raffle?

What I ordered:
2 @ 6ft by 30in by 30in tanks
1@ 6ft by 2ft by 2ft tank
1@ 5ft by 2ft by 18in sump
1@ Reef Octopus 300DNW-6530
2 Raw Pine Cabinets for the top 2 tanks

So it has started. :cheers:

What I already have:

Cabinet for a 6*2*2
Sump 4ft * 18in *18in
Aquamedic Turboflotor 1000
Aquamedic KR1000
Dupla Alpha PH Controller all accessories
3 @ 150W metal Halide Pendants
15 W UV Sterilizer De Bary
Morezone 30
Red Sea Air Drier
2 @ Teco RA 680
3 Eheim 1262

Things that I will purchuse in next 3 months
6 Lumenarc 3 reflectors
6 250W electronic MH ballist and moguls
Air conditioner portable
Korrallin C3001 or 4001
Deltec Ap 902 or 1003 (6-12mth pending on finance)
A Couple of temp probes

All 3 tanks will line up against one wall. The 2 6*30*30 tanks will share a common sump. The 6*2*2 will be used as a quarantine tank, after 18 months ill plumb in into the other two and probably use it as a refuge- haven’t decided yet.

This room is currently a fibro garage which I am turning into a poker room. I have just started insulating the walls and applying gyprock to help reduce heat. Still clueless as how to insulate old fibro roof, will figure something out.

Going to see the beast whose Roth is second to none to explain the……………………………………………………….$800, no make that $400 I spent ……….Guess what I won in a raffle today hun?

If I survive I will upload pictures.

Heres to the upcoming headaches :cheers:

Cheers,
Frankie

P.S. I really do love my wife

P.S. She just saw me type that line without reading the article, she thinks im great .......... .for now
:devil:
Last edited by sonofstarstamps on Wed 23 Apr, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sonofstarstamps
Veteran Reefer

Postby tredog » Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:24 pm

LOL

That gave me a good laugh.

Man thats a huge set up!

When are you giving tours :poke:

Good luck with it all.
If my wife asks I'm researching electricty providers and not buying anything online!!!!!
tredog
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby darkmuncan » Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:26 pm

You are my new favourite person!
---------------------
4x2x2 Reef - <a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=301470#301470">Tank Journal</a>
2x2x1 Reef - <a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=161288&highlight=">Tank Journal</a>
darkmuncan
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Faceofblue » Fri 24 Nov, 2006 12:16 am

I'm really looking forward to seeing your photos... if you haven't had anything chopped off and theres not another 'crash'... lol
Faceofblue
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby sirpix » Fri 24 Nov, 2006 1:10 am

Sounds like a potentially amazing set up...
going to be great watching it grow
ps. you shoulda got choccies , champs and flowers for the wife .....
makes 'raffle' seem more realistic :P

Michael
4x2x2
sirpix
Centurion Reefer

Postby fulltilt » Fri 24 Nov, 2006 6:40 am

The 6*2*2 will be used as a quarantine tank
Do you think that will be big enough though ? :poke: I would have gone for one slightly larger - ROFL!!!!!
fulltilt
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Lucifer » Fri 24 Nov, 2006 9:34 am

You crazy man!!!!
BUT I love it hahaha

Hurry up and put up some photos.
Lucifer
Veteran Reefer

Postby sonofstarstamps » Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:14 am

The Poker/ Fish room.
When I cleaned it out 3 months ago, I dont think you want to see the state its in currently.
Will try and work ut how to get better sized pixs
Cheers,
Frankie
sonofstarstamps
Veteran Reefer

Postby Jim_D » Fri 24 Nov, 2006 11:55 am

This looks like it has the potential to be a phenomenal tank journal!
Jim_D
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Location: Some where in New South Wales, Australia, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.

Postby gabbakeisen » Fri 24 Nov, 2006 1:44 pm

EXcelent idea! can't wait to see how this all turns out. You know its going to cost you $$$ but you don't care, i'll drink to that! :drink: :talker:
5x2x2 Stony Reef; RO limewater; Sump +Skimmer w 1hr/day Ozone + dark DSB +Eheim1262; 1x150W & 2x250W 14000k MH + Moonlights; 2xTunze 6060.
gabbakeisen
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby medion » Fri 24 Nov, 2006 4:18 pm

Nice.

Your wife and my wife could be sisters.... Mine has no idea how much the tank has cost either.

Poker and marine tanks. Just add a bar in the garage and it would be complete!
medion
Centurion Reefer

Postby go_wakeboard » Fri 24 Nov, 2006 6:01 pm

^^^They're all sisters man! Very evil sisters!

That's great, f^&# puttin the car in the garage just fill it with fish tanks... Love it :-)
"Let's get to lootin'" Bender B. Rodriguez
go_wakeboard
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby stoli » Fri 24 Nov, 2006 7:16 pm

Good job Frankie! Looking forward to watching the progress & hearing how lucky you are with raffle tickets?! :devil: :roflmao: :roflmao:
stoli
Old Sea Dog Reefer

Postby JonNyDexTeR » Fri 24 Nov, 2006 7:25 pm

You are so funny!
I'm just like jaw dropping at the equipment!
That's just a big kids playground!
lalalalala
cheers Ü
Tank Journal
JonNyDexTeR
Bicentenary Reefer

Postby sonofstarstamps » Sat 25 Nov, 2006 9:35 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the support.

Hope these pictures are better.

As stated before, these were taken several months ago. Hoping to finish this project by March.

Dimensions of garage is 3.4m wide, 6 m long.

Would you believe my wife did not believe me when I told he I won a raffle, after 5 years of marriage, 10 years of being together youd think shed just take my word and be happy for me.

Anyhow, when the items get delivered I think she will freak then. I told her i bought a tank. Although her memory does not fail, I will ensure that when the time comes I will insist that i said "Tanks".

Ihave the distinct advantage as I have several weeks up my sleeve to plan my tact. She will be on holidays (shes a school teacher) and I plan on finishing off the little things around the house that need attention before then, might get her those inbuilts shes been dropping hints about forever. ;)

She has already suspected something as I have not been this nice for a while, I even listened to her talk about her friends. I mean do you know how boring that is. If you only new how difficult that was for me, possibly the hardest thing in the world. I have a new thought for survivor challenges, try to talk to my wife about her day or friends and look interested, not only should you get immunity but should get the million dollars as well. :o

Will take pictures of project along the way and upload pictures as I go. As I go I would appreciate any feedback, as critical as you like to make improvemnts if you spot something that could be done better. Including the fact that im to lazy to correct spelling errors and grammar.

Cheers all,
Frankie
sonofstarstamps
Veteran Reefer

Postby bubbleboy » Sun 26 Nov, 2006 12:28 am

Frankie :bow: :bow: ..... i wish i have the ball to do what you did :nut:
bubbleboy
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby darkmuncan » Sun 26 Nov, 2006 9:52 am

heh, what every poker room needs...

a gun safe :pirate:
---------------------
4x2x2 Reef - <a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=301470#301470">Tank Journal</a>
2x2x1 Reef - <a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=161288&highlight=">Tank Journal</a>
darkmuncan
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby -Phil- » Tue 05 Dec, 2006 10:21 pm

you could have just put an 11 foot tank along the back wall and call it one tank...

i wish i could just go out and buy multiple tanks on a whim

imagine the salesperson's face:madface: after you left the store

your a brave man :clap:

cheers :cheers:
phil
-Phil-
New 3x2x2
My old Tank Journal
What Are Your Clowns Hosted By?
Feel free to correct me or add to what i have said, this is after all what forums are for.
-Phil-
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby inferno6688 » Tue 05 Dec, 2006 11:39 pm

Mate u r INSANE!!! :nut: :nut:

I am looking forward to following this thread closely!

I hopw your wife doesn't read this thread!

:thumbsup:
inferno6688
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sonofstarstamps » Thu 14 Dec, 2006 12:10 pm

Hi All,

Just went to the LFS to confirm that all is on track for next Thursdays pickup. Received dissappointing news from LFS.

The Reef Octopuses I placed an order for(2 @ dnw300 and 1 DNW400) they wont be able to deliver. Apparently no 300's were received in last shipment and the DNW400'shave been allocated to other LFS. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Just got off the phone with Kims Aquatics and they advised me that they will be receiving DNW400's. Will visit them tonight and order 2 @ DNW 400.

Lets hope next Thursday does not prove to be a disappointment.

Cheers,
Frankie
:cheers:
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish,

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein
The Beginning Of The End
Honey Its Not A New Tank
sonofstarstamps
Veteran Reefer

Postby kirsto71 » Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:03 pm

I am hooked now - dont stop. I cant wait to see how this turns out.

:bow:
Cheers
Marc

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field.

Tank webcam

My 4x2x2 Tank
Take 1 6x3x2 Tank
Take 2 2000x900x650 Tank
Take 3 2000x900x650 Tank
kirsto71
Veteran Reefer
MASRQ Member

Postby sonofstarstamps » Sat 16 Dec, 2006 11:03 pm

Hi All,

After breaking af few peoples balls, i managed to secure 1 DNW400. :cheers:

At this stage I will be picking it up from the suppliers on Monday. Apparently the package is a monster and will need a ute or van to pick up. Will post picks hopefully Monday.

Will try and organise a rental truck tommorrow to pick up cabinets and sumps as well, if not Monday.

The wife will freak. D Day is near.

It was nice knowing you all. :wavey: I have made no will,. For the record Id like to be buried with my equipment, maybe the ancient egyptians were right, maybe theres an after life and you can bring your worldly possessions (i hope the mortgage stays behind).

Any way ill sit back and enjoy a scotch tonight, try and catch some replays of the cricket , and enjoy the last few hours of peace. Cause hell, ive brought this on myself, no one to blame....................maybe I wasnt hugged enough as a child? I dont know, ill find something to blame, I always do.

Buy the way, having spent alot on myself recently, not much left in the kitty (mortgage refinancing), any ideas on a really, reallly, really, really, really nice CHEAP present that I can get the wife for Xmas? :devil: :devil:

I could always tell her that I love her. Ill start practicing the grovelling now. Good night all. Hopefully we meet Again.

Cheers,
The person formerly known as Frankie :wavey: :wavey:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein
The Beginning Of The End
Honey Its Not A New Tank
sonofstarstamps
Veteran Reefer

Postby Hebbs » Sun 17 Dec, 2006 1:02 am

I just wish I could be there when she realises that the 'little' skimmer her man has ordered needs a ute to deliver it!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

The next couple of entries are just going to be 'special' I can feel it in my water.

Hebbs
"It's not Rocket Surgery!"

My 6 Footer
Hebbs
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby Hebbs » Sun 17 Dec, 2006 1:03 am

P.S.

There are always LOTS of fresh flowers at the cemetary around Christmas!!!

Hebbs
"It's not Rocket Surgery!"

My 6 Footer
Hebbs
RTAW Veteran Reefer

Postby sonofstarstamps » Sun 17 Dec, 2006 7:23 am

Hebbs Posted: Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:03 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.

There are always LOTS of fresh flowers at the cemetary around Christmas!!!

Hebbs

Champion :thumbsup:

- Albert Einstein
The Beginning Of The End
Honey Its Not A New Tank
sonofstarstamps
Veteran Reefer

Postby Rusty1 » Sun 17 Dec, 2006 8:27 am

Can not wait till I see the pics.

I Totally feel for you when the wife see's what you have done :o
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
Rusty1
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer

Postby sonofstarstamps » Mon 18 Dec, 2006 5:46 pm

What a day, my only day off in the next 14 days.

Picked up 2 raw cabinets, 2 sumps and a protein skimmer.

A little dissappointment, again. :furious:

The cabinets were built 700mm high not 800mm high as requested and they forgot to leave the side panel removable so I can slide in the sumps. Im sure the LFS will look after this problem, in the past he has been pretty good at ensuring the right thing is done. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Picked up the monster, sorry the skimmer. Now they told me the packaging was big, but this was huge. Two people to pick it up, roughly about a 1 cubic meter. I was feeling alright till they advised me that the plumbing for ths beast hasnt arrived yet. :wall: Next shipment will arrive in Sydney in 4-5 weeks time and I will have my plumbing for the skimmer then. :wall: :wall: :wall:

My wife decided to come home for lunch, first time ever, normally this would be a pleasant surprise.

It went well....I think
She did not freak out..................much.
She asked me how much it all cost. At this point I must state for the record I did not lie. Silence is the best defence.
It was the next thing that got me though, wheres it all going to go?
I decided to stand back and look at it all. It did not look this big in the shop. :nut:

Later tonight I might open the skimmer box just to see what i have got will post pixs.

Will be starting gyprocking, insulating and electrical in the new year, friends coming over for a BBQ, are they going to be in for a surprise when they have to work a couple of hours before getting fed.

Im still alive and just knew things would not work out smoothly.

Cheers,
Frankie

- Albert Einstein
The Beginning Of The End
Honey Its Not A New Tank
sonofstarstamps
Veteran Reefer

Postby sonofstarstamps » Mon 18 Dec, 2006 9:04 pm

You know what they say about men with big cars.................they have small...................Well i dont care if the world knows I have a small......................sorry just working through some issues with the best wife a man could have, if only she'd crack a cold one open when i get home and have my masuers ready..............a higher income would be nice.

Anway, some pixs of the skimmer....................it moved me in the same way that I experienced when I found my fathers "video" collections at the age of 12. ;)

Like that fateful day, today i will remember for a long while.

After reading RC threads regarding poor packaging, i was extremely surprised to say this item was extremely well packaged.
:clap:
The soccer ball is regulation size, its the biggests skimmer barell I have scene (not that ive scene many others).

Will update pixs in the new year after insulation, electrical and gyprocking completed.

Cheers,
Frankie
:thumbsup:

- Albert Einstein
The Beginning Of The End
Honey Its Not A New Tank
sonofstarstamps
Veteran Reefer

Postby [Huhness] » Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:28 pm

makes me sad when people have skimmers with a larger water capacity than my tank.. hahahaha

you're on a roll don't stop now!!! i think you need one more tank though! :thumbsup:
[Huhness]
Veteran Reefer

Postby sonofstarstamps » Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:41 am

Arise old thread languishing on the bottom of page 9. :poke:

Im still breathing. All external pendages still in place. Matter of fact, I will turn 32 on Tuesday. :cheers:

So, whats occured in the last 12 months? Well I'm glad you asked.

Things were on track. Sun was shining, birds were singing.

Slowly purchasing items I required. Quickly finding hiding places for them away from the eyes of Atilla the hun (aka my wife). in a very congested garage. :devil:

Got to the stage that I had 2 @ 6*2.5ft*2.5ft tanks sitting on there stands.

What could go wrong?

I think it was the Queens Birthday holiday long weekend( I still dont like to think about this), the first three day weekend I've had in years, I organised with a mate to come over and help me set it all up (plumbing, electricity etc).

It was this weekend that I realised there are 2 people who really do not like the idea of me starting up any sort of fish tank. I now know GOD hates me.

Consistent rain, strong winds, lightening, large trees, which I now know to be Eucalypt nicholli, It was an ideal setting for a horror flick.

Domino's intrigued me as a child, God decided he'd play dominoes in my back yard, set up the peices like this:

20m Eucalypt nicholli will fall onto 17m Eucalypt nicholli will fall onto and squash this lemon tree, that lime tree, while im at it 30 recently potted rose bushes yeah squash them too and the peice the resistance lets fall onto the garage, housing all Frankies prized possesions (pity the wife wasn't in there).:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Bloody Marvellous how the big guy pulled it off.

Dr Phil, my wife tells me, says that expressing ourselves is healthy. I took my axe and expressed myself on those fallen trees. :furious: :furious: :furious: A BIG THANKYOU TO THE LOCAL SES GUYS FOR TAKING THE TREES AWAY :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I found out that insurance companies love taking our money, really dont like giving any back. :wall: :wall: :wall:

I found out that my wife is pregnant :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I found out that this hobby will be the death of me, eventually.

I have started up again, no not drinking :cheers: .

Lets see them stop me now. The RBA has tried its best with several interet rate rises and they tell me theres more to come.

My wife said I could be one thing for my Birthday, as long as it was not marine related..........so I decided to buy 6 of those new "hydroponic" style lights (lumen brights) for my new interest (hydroponics) from reef exotics.

She really thinks im going to set up a "green house" and try my hand at hydroponics. Well Im mean you need humidity in a green house, so my sumps and ballasts and other equipment will sure keep the temps and humity up. Little does she know that "green house" im currently building is really going to house all my equipment. To the average person, Corals are perceived to be plants not animals... so technically in her eyes, when I tell here that it is a green house she cant rebuke the claim. ;)

Anyway, just ordered 6 Lumenbrights.
Placed an order for a 10ft*2.5ft*2.5ft tank with St George Aquariums.
Started laying the slab down on the "green house" :roflmao: :roflmao:

Now I just found out today that we will be getting a $4000 baby bonus. I wonder how i can convince my wife that spending the money on a Deltec AP1004 protein Skimmer with self cleaning head would allow me greater quality time with her and the new born is really in the best interest of all. :devil:

Anyway will start taking pixs and post progress over coming weeks.

If there are any good QC's on this thread, now is the time to help a brother out, i mean i think i've really done it this time.

Till next time I hit the grog with a vengance,
Yours truley,
Frankie :devil:

- Albert Einstein
The Beginning Of The End
Honey Its Not A New Tank
sonofstarstamps
Veteran Reefer

Next

Return to Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)